“Love Sandals” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Montego Bay

Save Saved
You added Sandals Montego Bay to your Saves list
Sandals Montego Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Kent Avenue, Montego Bay 100, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$335 Instant Air Credit!!
Ranked #7 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Cory, Indiana
“Love Sandals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at this Sandals last year and really enjoyed our trip. The night entertainment is really good. The restaurant right by the ocean on the beach with picnic tables is really good. The piano bar is small but really nice.

Have breakfast out on your balcony, really nice for a birthday breakfast. They always do something special for you if it's your birthday or anniversary.

This resort is close to the airport so there is no long travel time. The airplanes take off behind the resort but you get use to it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

3,421 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
Smiths Station, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay from 7/14-7/20 and had a great vacation. This was our first trip to a Sandals resort and the entire trip exceeded our expectations.

We booked a Butlers Suite and I highly recomend this service to anyone thinking about a vacation to Sandals Montego Bay. It was well worth the extra money. I cannot say enough anout our butlers Craig, Nasha, Mykal, and Asha. They made the entire vacation, and went above and beyond what we expected. They were there from the time we arrived til the time we got back on the bus to leave for the airport. The butlers took care of our dinner reservations, excursion trip resevations, and spa reservaions for my wife. We have already decided that we will request these butlers for our next trip Jamaica.

The rooms are nice and clean. The staff is really nice, soem are just a bit more engaging than others.

We only did two excursions while we were there because we mostly just wanted to lay by the beach and relax. We did the catameran cruise and the shooping excursion to Rose Hall. The cruise was really fun and made a stop at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. The shopping trip was ok but was only 2 hours so you felt a little rushed. The shopping area is secure with security guards and the Sandals bus driver stays the whole time.

My wife really enjoyed her body wrap and facial at the Red Lane Spa.

Once you arrive at the airport it gets a little hectic. The porters (which dont work for Sandals) grab your bags and are really aggressive about getting a tip. That is our only complaint about the trip.

Overall, i would recomend Sandals Montego Bay to anyone. We had a phenominal time and look forward to returning.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

As I read all the 5 star reviews, I’m wondering if I am crazy or I stayed at the wrong resort. We stayed here at Sandals Montego Bay for 6 days for our honeymoon. We were pushed to get on the wrong bus at the airport so the drivers could try and sell us weed. When we got on the right bus - we were reminded that they don’t work for Sandals and they we should tip them and then they tried to sell us weed. Luckily we were only ten minutes from the airport - although that meant planes every hour or more all day into the night.
They really have a racket going - it says all inclusive, but if you don’t upgrade or spend a cent - you are made to feel like a second class citizen. No tipping? Yeah right - every single person we tipped took it without batting an eye and the ones we didn’t tip kept reminding us how good their service was and that they could “get us anything we need.” We were guaranteed a Honeymoon package including a bottle of sparkling wine upon our arrival, breakfast in bed with flowers, and a turn down with flower petals on our first night. Well we got the breakfast in bed - but that’s it. And god forbid you need to ask someone a question - literally no one knew a single answer to anything we asked. There would be things printed on a newsletter and we would ask where they were happening and no one would know. The food is average, not as good as I had hoped for what we paid.
When we asked if it would be possible to upgrade our room for the remaining four days of our trip - we were told “I don’t know, come back later.” Long story short - we could upgrade - for $3000.00. Practically 3/4ths the cost of our whole trip. No thanks. And don’t go into town - you’ll be ripped off by the cab driver, store merchants, and market sellers. The only way they make money is from the tourists - prices are unbelievable. My husband was pressured to buy a $90 bottle of rum that we saw for $13 at duty free. Luckily we passed on that “deal.”
The beach is beautiful but there are only 2 small pools - which no one knows if they ever close or when they close for cleaning. Don’t ask for darts - they don’t have any. Don’t ask how you get to be able to use the beach and pool cabana/beds - no one knows. And don’t eat the fish unless you like bones. I won’t complain about the mosquitos and flies because they can help that - but be aware there are alot. And if you stay in room 1003 - the wind rattles the door all.night. Also no ATM on property - but you can charge things to your room - maybe - depends on whom you ask.
I could go on and on but you get the picture - get your money’s worth - elsewhere.
Make reservations for restaurants as soon as you walk in the door - better yet stay somewhere else. I would be hesitant to stay at another Sandals for fear of wasting my money again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations. Therefore, we're sorry to hear that you were not as impressed. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities so I will be sure to send your feedback to the relevant departments.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope that we can welcome you back for a much better stay in the future.
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband & I chose this Sandals resort because the price was a little cheaper than other places in Jamaica. Overall it was an A-Mazing trip! Very quiet & relaxing!

Rooms: We had a great room! It was very clean! Loved the added details when we arrived because it was our honeymoon! Fridge was always restocked, and when requested we were able to get more of certain items!

Food: We had a butler that made reservations for us which was REALLY nice! We enjoyed all the restaurants! We even went over to Royal Caribbean (not too far from this Sandals) and had a nice Thai dinner on a private island! At Tokyo Jo's (Japanese), my husband ordered a dessert and ended up not liking it. The server got him a dessert that would make him smile, and it did! We barely ate breakfast at the buffet we always got room service each morning because we were content with eating breakfast on our balcony (the banana nut bread was my favorite!). Lunch, we pretty much ate the same thing at Dino's Pizzeria! We had a Hawaiian pizza, it was great! Drinks, we tried many different drinks! Our favorites were Jamaican Smile, Pina Colada, Green Goblin, and Bahama Mama.

Excursions: We decided to do one excursion. We went to Magic Mountain, and Dunn River Falls. It was a a little drive away with a crazy driver. The music on the bus was comical. "I have a big bamboo.." my husband learned the lyrics of the songs very quickly, and it reminded you that you were on a couples only resort! The excursion was a nice added adventure. There was an attraction not open at Magic Mountain, but that did not affect our trip. We loved the bobsledding ride. It was great to be apart of the Jamaican bobsled team! Dunn River Falls, bring a waterproof camera, and your own water shoes! The ones you rent/they give you are gross! The video they try to offer you is not worth it! Overall great excursion!

Service: Our first butler was not the best. We were given a phone to call him when we needed him, I will be honest we had no idea what all he would do for us! We had a credit to go to the Red Lane Spa. I wanted to get my nails fixed, so he booked me a manicure. My husband wanted to get something done like a facial while I was getting my nails done. He told the butler to find him something for $50 like a facial. The butler booked him a facial without telling him the exact price. After the facial, we were charged $130 for his facial! We were not happy. Long story short, management ended up fixing the issue and we were given new butlers! The manicure is definitely not worth the price! We did have a couples massage in the spa, that we enjoyed.

Butlers:The butlers were Great! Asha, and Shaneal! They were fun, and made sure everything was taking care! The added details of cards on the bed, to fancy leafs spelling out words, to a bath drawn with flowers, sugarcane fruit, and escorted to dinner with drink service each time. We loved our butlers, and would request them again if we were to go back! We tipped them at the end because how great they were!

Airport: It was nice to have a lounge in the airport to go to while waiting for a bus transport. We tipped the driver. There was drinks in the lounge, and also in the waiting area to be checked in at Sandals.

Downside: Other reviews mentioned the airplanes, they are there and are noise. We barely heard them in our room which was nice, but laying out by the beach it was bothersome. Also, DO NOT GO OVER THE RESORT unless you are going on an excursion. It was horrible, the craft market was a joke.

Over-all great trip, and would definitely return to a Sandals resort!

Room Tip: Get a butler! It was well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay from 7/5-7/12 and had an absolute amazing time. I honestly do not have a single complaint about our entire stay, as our one item that was an issue was taken care of.

We arrived very early in the day, and we were taken to the concierge lounge and then breakfast. Every staff member that we met onsite was courteous and professional. Despite some past reviews about staff being rude if you didn't tip them, this was not the case at all with us. We were always treated wonderfully. The food was awesome. We had no problem getting reservations at all the restaurants while we were there. Oleander was my favorite, Tokyo Joe's was my husbands.

We had a honeymoon concierge beachfront walk-out room. The room was perfect. The only complaint we had is that we were on the very end of the building, and the maid staff would do work at 1-3AM in their room next door and it woke us up. We spoke to management on day 2, and while it was quieter that night, it still woke us up. We went and spoke with Joseth (mind you we were not mad, we just wanted to sleep), and she moved us to the presidential suite that had a living room, bedroom, huge bathroom and a pool on our patio. It was amazing, and completely unexpected. She even called to check on us and the next day stopped us and asked how it was going.

We thoroughly enjoyed the playmakers throughout our trip. We stayed out way past our "bedtime" the night of the beach party. Shanna was a great host, and Kendra was always having fun with us throughout our trip. Anthonio spent over an hour helping a newlywed search for his lost wedding ring on the volleyball court. They really added to our overall satisfaction on our trip.

Every morning my husband enjoyed his omelette made by Dionne, in which was always cooked and served while she was singing.

Besides the wonderful food and relaxation, our favorite part of our trip was scuba diving. We had only planned on getting the very basic certification while at Sandals. Soneil was our dive instructor, we enjoyed learning from him so much that we ended up upgrading all the way to open water diver certification. There is no way we would have continued if it wouldn't have been for Soneil. He is a true asset to the Dive Team at Sandals.

All in all it was an amazing trip, and I cannot wait to go back to either this resort or another Sandals.

The only thing we would do different - we didn't use much of the concierge services nor did we drink in the rooms. We decided next time we would rather stay in a lesser room and save the $$ and either stay longer, visit the spa, etc. We spent such little time in the room, it did not matter that we had a waterfront view, or what size the room was. As long as it has a king size bed, bath and closet, any size room will do.

Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

THE GOOD: I visited Sandals Montego Bay last week (July 2013) with my partner for her birthday. It was better than I expected-- with incredible private beachfront, great food, and many activities to partake in. We took advantage of free diving (if you're certified it's a breeze), sailing, paddle boarding, and beach volleyball. The grounds are impeccably maintained with excellent vegetation. Rooms are romantic and nice. Overall this is a lively, well-designed and maintained resort. My partner and I were treated with respect, although gay and lesbian couples are likely rare in the resort and on the island. There are great deals during summer months and for returning customers. We were able to check out late and the staff accommodated us until our requested time- not necessarily the type of service expected from a large resort and was much appreciated.

THE DOWNFALLS: entertainment is raunchy bordering on sexist, airplanes fly overhead every 20-30 minutes and are incredibly close and loud, clientele (at least in July) may be perceived as from a lower demographic, however I found the diversity a positive aspect of the experience. Although the dive shop was good overall, we were required to do a "check" where we have to show our skills in the pool before diving, which was stressful and the instructor was slightly condescending. If you bring your log book you won't have to do the "check".

SUGGESTIONS (for staff): Make entertainment less catered to married heterosexual couples only, cover pipes of bathroom sinks (I stayed in room 852).

• Stayed July 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica. The staff at Sandals Montego Bay was awesome. The moment we arrived Alford treated us to a drink and made the check in process easy and simple. We were let into our rooms early and they even upgraded us to a beach front room. Sean, Hartlon, Kendria and the rest of the staff were so much fun, we won't wait another 25 years to go back. Everyone was so nice and so friendly. Plenty to do during the day and awesome music, shows and games at night. The food was delicious at all of the restaurants and the variety will meet everyone's tastes. Can't wait to go back. Thank you Sandals- Montego Bay for an awesome 25th anniversary !!!!

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms were very enjoyable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We're so happy to read that you enjoyed a memorable 25th wedding anniversary at Sandals Montego Bay. It was such an honor to host you for this special occasion and we're thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your stay. Sean, Kendria and Hartlon will be so glad to hear of your kind comments.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!