“Sandals Montego Bay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Montego Bay

Save Saved
You added Sandals Montego Bay to your Saves list
Sandals Montego Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Kent Avenue, Montego Bay 100, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Couples Massage!
Ranked #8 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
North Canton, Ohio
“Sandals Montego Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Sandals Montego Bay was wonderful in every way. This is an all inclusive resort so there was never any stress about what to expect or do. The price was appropriate for what Sandals gives you. The food was divine, the rooms are beautiful and the facilities are world class. The drinks were premiere. I never felt as though I wasn't receiving what I expected. The facilities from the restaurants to the water sports and gym were great. Of course there is extra cost for the extra specials but no one pressured you to purchase. The resort is located on the best beach in Montego Bay, close to the airport and easy to visit other Sandals and nearby attractions. The staff was also great. Big Al, Dalton from Island Routes, Chante from SC, Veneetia and Levon from Tokyo Joe's, Gerdeen from the Grill, Cleveland and Captain Kirk from the Stewfish, Michane from Tokyo Joe's, Lenny from Snap Shots, Hartland and Sean from entertainment, Flip from the water sports, Courtney from Cucina, Junior from Bayside and Felicia from Bon Apetit and many many other staff members made our stay so nice. We will definitely be returning to this resort soon.

Room Tip: Rooms by the main beach or piano bar may become loud and difficult to sleep during a party.

3,345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Baton Rouge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I recently spent our honeymoon Mo Bay Sandals resort. I'll first start with the ride from the airport, we were picked up in a luxury vehicle(audi),with our own personal driver.This was a surprise from the resort, not something we requested .Upon arrival, our room was very, very nice , awesome beach view .......... but the air wasn't working properly. We had the Jr. Butler Suite/w Verdana (something like that). Our butler immediately got on the problem. The maintenance guy worked on it , but couldn't fix it. So they sent us to another room, that was a walk out beach room the end of the beach. It was really nice and spacious, a major upgrade from the original room. The resort is very nice, kept up really well. Gorgeous landscaping , people are constantly cleaning and making sure it is perfect.
Our butler service was great!!! We were greeted by our butler Shoneil immediately upon arrival. This young lady is exceptional at her job ...... I mean exceptional. We didn't ask for much , but she went above and beyond her duties to make sure our stay was comfortable, and hassle free. My husband didn't feel well upon arriving....... she immediately noticed the grimace on his face , and called the nurse to check him out and make sure he was ok. Very caring , and very professional at her job, without being overbearing. Our second buter Shovail was equally exceptional. Shovail the butler ....... he's so sweet , always smiling , and never hesitant to do anything you ask of him. If we called them on our little phone (they give you a cell phone), they were there , ready to assist with whatever we asked. They even arranged for us to have our own driver , and made sure we left and arrived back safely.Ask for them , and treat them well !!
The food is great , Have breakfast at Bayside , and at Cucina on Mon. Wed. Fri. We pretty much tried everything , and had no complaints about the food. The burgers at the Beach Grill , great ......... the pizzeria ......great! You get the picture. Go to Stewfish , and ask for Ramone as your waiter, this guy is one of the best waiters I have ever had , so polite , so poised, great customer service , and the food was excellent. Tokyo Joe's was excellent , so much food , I was stuffed. We also tried Royal Thai (on the private island)at the other resort. The place is really nice , and the boat ride to get there is definitely a different experience, but the food is just ok,but definitely worth trying. We also did the beach candlelight dinner . . . . . .ok so this is a nice experience , dinner on the beach, the sunset, the view of the ocean , and your own private waiter. We requested a gazebo for our dinner, but was not given that spot. Instead we received a spot on the beach that was way to close to the water. When we sat down the wave from the water washed up , and completely soaked our legs. The waiter and Shovail immediately moved the table back. After that little bump , the sun began to set , and Jr.(our waiter) began so serve dinner. The food was excellent , I must say, but the mosquitos were horrific! I could not enjoy my meal, because I was being attacked by mosquitos , it was bad. The next day I had over 30 bites all over my body. It was horrible. Oh......... and the cats. They surrounded us , and kept trying to get our food. It was so aggravating , and annoying. I started to ask for my money back, but didn't want to let this incident ruin the other great experiences.
As far as entertainment goes , they have a great crew called the "playmakers". These guys keep the party going. During the day the organize activities for everyone on participate in , such as : volleyball , basketball, water volleyball , dancing etc. At night they entertain in the Skydome, dancing , live bands, fashion shows , game show , the list goes on and on.The bartenders are very entertaining as well , always smiling and ready to make whatever you ask. Mr. Joseph is one of the best, he's a little slow, but he makes it right ! Natasha too , she's a sweetheart. We also did a few excursions. Swim with the dolphins, awesome experience. Climbed Dunn's Falls , great experience also , but don't buy the DVD at the end , it sucks ! We also did the Dune Buggie ride in Sandy Bay. It was awesome, it allows you to drive in the mountains , and see the beautiful mountains and valley's of Jamaica(Its a must Do)! I have so much more to say , but this is good , you guys get the point!

Room Tip: Get the butler service!!!!
Watertown
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Dear Sandals,
I cannot being to tell you how disappointed I am with your resorts! Our first stay at the Royal Carrabin in Oct 2012 was enjoyable, though the room we got was not the room shown online. So for our 32nd wedding anniversary we booked another stay at Montego Bay Resort 17 Mar 13 before my deployment to Afghanistan. We decided to step up to a butler room the Bay Roc Villa Ultra Luxury Honeymoon Beachfront 1 Bdr. Suite the photos online of the room were beautiful and perfect for our special event.
Then we arrived and it all went downhill from there. Upon showing us to our room, we were shocked; it was nothing like the photos! The butler knew we were not happy and setup a meeting with the hotel manager three days later. The manager informed me that the room was "in the same category" as the room I booked. Where is the "Ultra Luxury"?

The room had no Roman tub; hell the windows didn't even have glass in them! They had some sort of wooden louvers that didn't even close right. All night long you could hear the security guards radio, room service and other people walking by talking. Then to top it off I showed the manager photos of the room we booked and said if I am not getting what I paid for I won't be back. He out right laughed at me and said "yea you won't be back". By that point I was fuming! He said he would check with his people and see what could be done. We never heard anything else from him or the Sandals Customer Service folks. I don't know why I would expect anything less from a company that clearly uses marketing gimmicks like "air fare credit", "your own personnel butler" that you share with 8 other couples and false advertisement by showing you rooms you will never get.

Clearly your hotel manager hasn't looked around, but Sandals is not the only "all inclusive resort" around and I can assure you I won't be trying Sandals again anytime soon! I am funny like that when I don't get what I pay for. I could go on about issues with your dive shop as well, but based on the response I got from the hotel manager I really don't expect much to come from this complaint. I will say however, I hope your manager enjoyed his laugh at me, because I will be laughing just as hard every time I post this letter to another travel website warning people about the "Sandals Difference"!

Room Tip: Go to a better resort!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.

Cassie C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Overall a great vacation. Only recommendation would be to book dinner reservations before you go as they fill up fast. All staff was amazing and very friendly. They were dedicated to making sure you relax...several of them wouldn't even let me put a straw in my own drink! The playmakers were awesome and kept the party going well into the night.

• Stayed June 2013
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Not sure about the reviews here and there complaining about the airplanes. Yes, there were planes taking off every so often, but if you book to stay at a resort literally right by the airport, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?!? We didn't mind it at all and it was fun watching the planes take off.

Overall we had a great time. Staff was very friendly, food was good, weather was great, excursions were fun. We'd go there again and probably will some day.

Chester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed at this resort from May 2nd until the 8th for our 30th wedding anniversary. Planned on taking a taxi as I am not into the bus thing but we were escorted to a private car free of charge for our 5 minute ride to the resort! Nice touch! Our room wasn't ready as we arrived early but that was okay as we just went to the beach bar and got to know the bartenders there who took care of us during our stay. The head person for the butler service (I think his name was Godfrey?) kept us company and remembered us from the Whitehouse. Went to our first room but then was shown an upgraded one and decided on that one as it was on the ground level and had a separate living room. I had brought a sheet of paper with my wishes and our butlers Shaneill and Trudy actually took it so that they would know exactly what we wanted and when. The food was great from every restaurant and we ate till our hearts content. The Friday night beach party food was not good and the SSG dinner on Tuesday was horrible! We received our free week coupon at the SSG dinner and a photo was taken but if we wanted the photo then we had to pay for it. That was kind of chintzy I thought.
Pros: All employees were wonderful-beach bar bartenders and beach servers were very attentive, beach pizza place (Gerdeen, Felicia, and Cameal) were beyond belief. They actually were our flower girl, maid of honor and best woman at our 30 renewal vows! Nice 5 minute ride from the airport-planes overhead did not bother us one bit! Ocean, beach, palapas and cabanas every day were wonderful. The housekeeping, the grounds and all areas were very nicely kept. All servers, butlers, wedding planner, were wonderful
Cons: Take care to watch your things. My beautiful pin fell off my shawl in my first room and was not returned, my husband left his swim trunks out on the patio to dry and those were stolen, I left my cigarette case and lighter on my patio table and that was stolen. If a person needed or wanted those things, I would of gladly given them. I just don't like my things taken without asking. Was not impressed with the general manager-he was never to be seen except when introduced at the beach party and SSG dinner. Although, he did upgrade my room so guess I can't _itch! Couldn't get a regular tea bag in my room to make tea-kinda strange! No shower in the spa-I did not like getting a message without being escorted to at least take a shower. Yuk,that was gross.
Over all-we always make our own great time-I don't depend on other people to make my vacation great. Tipping for great service is much appreciated by the employees and it did make a difference. I went, I saw ,I was on vaca with my husband, but would never go back! There are just other Sandals where things are better.. Guess I am just spoiled by other locations and other GM's. Can't wait to see Emerald Bay with GM Jeremy-that will make me more happy!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at Montego Bay Jamaica as part of a split stay in May. We spend 5 nights at Royal Caribbean and then went to Montego Bay for 3 nights. I have nothing but amazing things to say about the Royal Carribean so if your trying to decide between the two go to Royal Caribbean. It is worth the extra couple bucks. This was our fifth time staying with Sandals/Beaches. I actually do not have one single complaint about any of out other stays. However, our stay at Montego Bay did not meet the usual Sandals quality we have grown to love. We arrived at Montego Bay on a Friday. I immediately tried to get reservations at the two restaurants requiring reservations. Unfortunately, for our entire stay the only available was Tokyo Joes on Sunday at 9pm. What made me upset was that my brother was staying at the Royal Caribbean. He showed up Sunday at 6:30 for dinner reservations at Toyko Joes that he had just made Sunday afternoon. I was told on Friday they did not have any reservations available until 9.
We also had an incident with the air conditioning in our room. Saturday night we woke up at midnight to discover our air is not working. I called the front desk who had maintenance call me. They asked me to power off the unit and power it back on. I did and that seemed to work. I woke back up about an hour later and the air was not working. I called the front desk and they sent a maintenance to our room. The gentleman they sent was so stoned. He switched the air from cool to dry. I explained that we had already tried that. He said "you will be fine mon" and quickly left. I called the front desk again and explained that he did not fix the air. I said that we would be willing to suffer for the night but would like a new room for our next night stay. After inquiring about another room the next day I was told they didn't have an available room. They told us they would fix our air that day. When we returned to our room that evening it was cool and appeared to be working. However, I woke up around 4am and it was not working again. I continued to power it off and on the remainder of the night trying to get it to work. We left for home in the morning. I was very upset that I had to spend two nights in Jamaica without air conditioning. We have stayed at Sandals and Beaches resorts multiple times and I have always been very satisfied and it is what keeps us coming back. After this experience, we will not be returning to the Montego Bay Resort.
The most disappointing part starts after my trip. I contacted JOSEF ZELLNER - GENERAL MANAGER of Montego Bay to let him know my disappointment. I actually sent him the exact story I typed above. He responded by telling me that they were kind enough to give me a complimentary room upgrade. Which I agreed was nice and something we have grown to love about being repeat Sandals customers. However, the upgraded room he gave me did not have working air. He responded again and never once explained the dinner reservation incident. He did offer me a room upgrade next time I stay at Sandals. Since they offer this to all repeat guests based on availablity this is about as nice as saying he would pay for our all our meals at our next stay.

Room Tip: Hopefully you get one with air. It is impossible to sleep without air in Jamaica. Unfortunately, I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. Being return guests, you know this is not our standard. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

I'm glad that our manager has been in contact with you. While your previous stay was not so good, he has assured me that he will do everything in his power to make sure your next stay is much better. We hope that you will afford us the chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Cassie C.

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!