“5 days in Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Montego Bay

Save Saved
You added Sandals Montego Bay to your Saves list
Sandals Montego Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Kent Avenue, Montego Bay 100, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Couples Massage!
Ranked #8 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto
“5 days in Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just returned from 4 nights at the Sandals Montego Bay (a last minute mother-daughter getaway). From the moment we stepped off the plane until the moment we returned to the airport 5 days later we were totally pampered! The service at the resort was impeccable. We received an automatic upgrade (from an oceanview penthouse room in the Sea Grapes building to Oceanfront penthouse in the Palms building) upon check in as my mom is a rewards member. The rooms are not huge and had I been there for a week would have considered upgrading to something larger, but it met our needs just fine. The bathroom is dated and pokey and in need of new doors (the pocket doors are very heavy). The room however was well equipped with tasteful furnishings. Thank you to Jennifer who took care of all of our room needs during our stay!
Immediately upon arrival we booked our a la carte restaurants for the 4 nights and even at that we were limited to 8 or 8:30 dining times. We had wonderful food and experiences at Cucina, Royal Thai and Oleander. Thank you to Robert at Oleandar who was our wonderful server- most charming and professional! The food was great in all establishments. The buffet offerred a lovely fresh selection of breads, fruits and hot items for both breakfasts and lunches. The biggest let down was our experience at La Jardiniere at the sister property- Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately there was heavy rain the evening we were to dine there and when we arrived, realized the restaurant was entirely outside so it had been closed and relocated to a dark and dingy meeting room. This is supposed to be the premier restaurant at the property, but we were totally disappointed. The dark atmosphere did not help, but the food was only ok and the service was very poor. We had a young and inexperienced waitress who when she came to take our salad plates asked " done eatin ?"- not impressed!
The gym is lovely, with lots of very new equipment and lovely views of the lush gardens outside (and rarely busy!!). The only other negatives to our stay would have to be the frequent planes flying over the hotel (we had heard about this through various reviews but had no idea really that the resort is basically across the road from the airport). Like others have said though, after the first day you stop paying attention to them. The Spa was also a let down- my mom and I both had massages and I ended up with a worse neck than when I started. I realize they are not performed by RMT's but I knew that the wrenching on my neck and cervical spine were not normal! I did complain to Dorothea the spa manager, the following day and all I was offerred was the suggestion to go and see the nurse. The other irritating piece at the spa was the push to purchase some stress relief oil for $80.00/ tube!!
The main pool is small but really lovely and if you get up at 6 am, it is possible to snag s very comfy bali bed. You do however have to use it, as twice during my stay I left my chair to get something to eat, only to find some rude, oversuntanned and classless women had moved my items as they thought I had left!! There are the usual chair hogs for sure, so annoying when beds are blocked for the whole day and no one ever appears. Sometimes I think the chairs are booked by the butlers and then the guests opt for the beach instead, or vice versa. The swim up bar and pool at the far end of the resort always appeared overpopulated and uninviting so we did not spend any time there.
The beach is very nice- not long and wide as of course it appears in the Sandals brochure, but just fine. Very sandy bottom for swimming and nice and calm waters. Early risers can even find some pretty shells washing on the shore. The watersports are plentiful and there never seemed to be waits for any of the catamarans, kayaks etc.. We took part in the glass bottom boat ride, snorkelling and boat cruise to Montego Bay and then the island at the Royal Caribbean (thank you to Gregory for a great experience!!).
Overall, a wonderful getaway- true rest and relaxation! The staff all work so hard to make sure guests feel pampered and taken care of. On our last day we kept complaining that we had to leave and several staff stated " well, you have to leave, so that you can come again!". We would definitely come back and would highly recommend the resort!

Room Tip: Opt for the palms building as it is central to both the main pool and the main beach. The rooms are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

3,345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was the 2nd Sandals we've been to. We had a great time and the staff is very friendly and helpful. There was 6 of us and months ago when we booked we asked that our rooms be very close, 2 were right next to each other and one was at the other end of the building. That was disappointing because we like to sit out at night or in the morning. The resort is nice, but it's time for some major maintenance and better upkeep. For example my husband got look in the bathroom and he was stuck in there for 30-30 minutes. The room was nicely done and very clean. We had a walk out water edge room right in front of the hot tub. That was a 10! It rained one night and the water was running in the ceiling at the Skydome, people could not sit down and watch the entertainment.The service was GREAT! Everyone did everything they could to make are stay enjoyable. Food was a 10, lots of chair at the beach, staff was a 10. I would give the entertainment a 6/7, that could use a some improvement. I'm comparing it to entertainment on a cruise ship which is amazing.
I would recommend this Sandals to anyone who is considering it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our second time visiting Sandals Montego Bay and our fourth time at a Sandals. As usual, we had a very good time despite some rainy weather.

The resort is very nice, but has several "tired" spots. In our opinion, more maintenance is needed. For example, deck chairs beside the main pool had broken supports and very stained covers. Our bed squeaked loudly and needed repairs. The chairs at the beach were great and there were lots of them.

Our room was ok, but looked out over the Japanese restaurant with the associated noise and odors. That would be ok except that we were told upon check in that we had been upgraded! Our non-upgraded room the previous year was much nicer. Since they were completely full, we just accepted it.

Food, drinks and service are what sets Sandals apart! Service everywhere was great ( especially Robert at the Oleander and Nakisha who was always beside the pool offering beverages! Dwayne, the fellow who looked after the pool was amazingly accommodating - adjusting his schedule to allow my wife and I to have our early morning swims. Great service!

Food everywhere was great but notably at Tokyo Joe's. Breakfasts were amazing every day, and the beach side pizza, Jerk Chicken and other snacks were always fabulous!

We love the fact that the bus ride from the airport to the resort is 5 minutes - yes, we timed it! We would go back but recommend that Sandals consider a few maintenance upgrades.

No hesitation at all recommending this resort subject to the couple of points above.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the rooms overlooking Tokyo Joe's Restaurant.
West Seneca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from spending a week at Sandals Montego Bay for our Honeymoon. So many other reviewers have said that the people here make the difference. I agree with that whole-heartedly! Which is why I'm writing this review, to make sure that Sandals knows how hard their employees work. Although most employees were incredibly nice, there was a "stand-out" employee for our trip who went above and beyond to learn our names, greet us every morning (and every night, as it seems like he worked around the clock!!!) and make sure that everyone was always having an amazing time....HARTLON! I have to give him a personal shout-out because he was simply incredible! If only all workers were like him :-) It made me incredibly sad that I couldn't tip, because there were many that went above and beyond, and in my eyes, deserved to be tipped.
As for my review for the rest of the resort: I had a hard time deciding on a 3 or a 4 for this resort (really wished I could do a 3.5!), because I just kept thinking back to our "conceirge" room. I was reading the reviews on Trip Advisor feverishly before we left and I couldn't wait to get there, as so many people were giving it 5 stars. I have to say that, sadly, this is not a 5 star resort. I've been to too many resorts that were all inclusive and 5 star, and this doesn't quite compare. When we first walked into our room my jaw dropped, and I actually think I slipped out a stunned four-letter-word. When booking, we upgraded to a conceirge room, and assumed that would equate to a nicer room?!?! The room looked nothing like the picture, being it was extremely outdated (peeling paint, huge stains on the counter top, old, stained bathtub, a chunk of the outside missing on the balcony) and was very, VERY small ("Small", as in, we couldn't find a space to lay our suitcases down). After some discussion between my husband and I, we decided that we're not going to be in the room very often anyway, and, after getting a good idea of how most of the people in Montego Bay live on our trip from the airport, didn't have the heart to go down and say something to the conceirge (as we would've felt terribly guilty). But once we got past the room situation, we had a great time! We enjoyed the bars (a lot!) and the food (also a lot!). That said, your vacation is what you make of it! We had a great time, with the help of the playmakers, bartenders, waiters, and conceirges....oh, and the beautiful ocean and bottomless drinks helped!! ;-)
The pools, not great at all. But, there's a huge ocean there to make up for it! We took one excursion, the Caribbean Reggae Cruise. If that's your kind of thing, I highly, HIGHLY recommend this catamaran cruise. We had an amazing time! The staff aboard the catamaran were also great (Captain Hulk!!)
The food was very good pretty much all the way around. Make sure you get reservations for restaurants the week as soon as you arrive, as it becomes difficult to get reservations anytime after that. The portions are extremely small in some instances (especially Tokyo Jo's appetizers), so don't be afraid to ask for one more :-) Also, try the Royal Thai next door at the Royal Caribbean resort, as it's out on the island. The island is worth checking out, for sure! We also did the French restaurant at the Royal Caribbean and loved it.
So, overall, I don't think I would go back to this resort...too many great resorts out there to visit and a whole world to see! I would probably give Sandals one more try though, at another location. As for the airplanes, yes, they are loud. But the noises lasts roughly 3 seconds then it's over. Not a big deal! I'm really surprised at how many people complained about them on here!

Room Tip: Our room in Almonds Building was outdated :-(
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We got a room near the sea room 521 and it was fab! small but compact. Only problem I think we got an upgrade so there was no minibar with alcohol apparently with standard room you do not have a mini bar with alcohol so that was a bit dissappointing for hubby who likes sitting on the balcony in the evenings with a beer (one of his holiday rituals). When we arrived we were greated with cold drinks and taken to a room to checkin this was lovely. When we checked out we had access to the departure lounge where you can take a shower watch tv and relax this was very much appreciated. The beach was fantastic we couldn't get use to the airplane noise as each time we kept looking up as if we didn't know it was a plane...go figure. We stayed there for 3 nights so short and sweet. Food was good and entertainment was also good.

Would definitely return. It was nice of sandals to contact us about a review too and to add us as members in their online community so that we can get deals on our next visit.

Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We went from March 16th to the 30th 2013 and got married on March 20th. Our wedding was perfect and Venecia and Kimberly were great Venecia had everything down pat and it was a dream. Thank you so so very much to the wedding staff. We stayed in a Bayroc villa suite and had Butlers Nasha and Mykel they were fantastic and awesome. I cannot say enough great things about them and how much we appreciated everything they did for us. The wait staff in the restaraunts were always great it was good to see Dalton every morning for breakfast and seeing Winston there was a great treat. Shanay-nay in the cricketers pint was to fabulous for words and bubbly as she always was I remember her from our trip in 2010 when she was on the most fantastic Playmaker team they had at mo' bay. The beach waiters were a great addition and would like to thank Damar for everything he did he was wonderful always remember our favourite drinks and taking care with my family all there. The welcome back dinner was good and getting to talk to Philip was nice. And of course the fantastic staff at the welcome back desk esspecially Sameka and of course Duncan. They were so great in everything even putting up with Paul. The only drawback I found this year was the Playmakers there was so few of them and they were working so hard it did not seem that they could even do the job some days. In 2010 the playmakers there were more and they were better at getting people involved in things because they were better able to cover the resort with activities. These playmakers totalled 6 plus their supervisor which is hardly enough to keep up with a busy resort they almost seemed invisable. The 2 playmakers I did have a chance to talk to a little were Romario and Halton both very nice guys and very energetic. They need more playmakers period. I would like to send a special thank you to Alford for taking care of our parents so well and making sure they were comfortable and always talking with them he is a great asset to Mo' Bay. I would also like to say thank you to Annette our maid she was fantastic and always there with a smile and a hug miss her already. Love to Mo' Bay see you next year.

Mpls, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our 5th trip to Sandals Montego Bay and this trip did have some not so good points compared to our other trips. The first was no upgrade as a diamond club member as were were told that part of our stay was during reunion week so we got the minimum concierge room that we initially booked. Once at the room found NO hot water and had to contact the concierge not once but on 3 different days to get it turned on. Hope they get this fixes. The other not so good was the TV went on the blink but who really uses it that much. We did get a $50 credit to the resort for our troubles. Being next to the airport is not really that bad once you get used to it. Now the GOOD things: We barely got to the main bar and Clayton met us with almost a run to give hugs for welcome back. The next morning was even better when our two other favorite bartenders met us and they are Terry-Ann and Shinton. Terry-Ann, Clayton and Shinton are by far the best bartenders of all of the Sandals that we have been at and we have been to all of the 14 Sandals resorts except for 2 in St. Lucia. The up and coming little Natalia is also fun. The food at Montego Bay especially at Tokoyo Joes and Cicera (sorry can't spell this Italian name) were fantastic and don't forget to order the seafood pizza at Dino's. The pizza here is fantastic. The morning have it made your way omlette is great. All the food no matter where you went was good. All of the staff members are friendly and always ready to help. Then entertainment at MoBay has been excellent along with the Island Vibe staff. We always take the BOOZE cruise (ask anyone what that is and they will tell you) and worth every penny. The beach is always groomed nicely and the water sports staff keep it looking great. While at MoBay we visited our staff friends at Carlyle who invited us on a cruise. What a great time that was. Also visited the Royal Caribbean and visited the private island (one of my favorite spots) and in the evening had dinner at the Royal Thai which was one of the best dining experiences we had during our stay. Hope I didn't bore you too much. Would we go back? In a heartbeat.
Dale G.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!