“Sun & Fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Montego Bay

Save Saved
You added Sandals Montego Bay to your Saves list
Sandals Montego Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Kent Avenue, Montego Bay 100, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$335 Instant Air Credit!!
Ranked #7 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Jackson, Michigan
“Sun & Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Sandals Royal Caribbean, but were able to use the stay at 1 play at 3 feature they offer. This is definitely the largest and has the more party like atmosphere of the three resorts! With that being said, we used this resort for our Bachelor/Bachelorette parties. (We were married while down in Jamaica, at the end of a week long stay. We brought a large group down with us and decided early on that would have our parties down there as there are all sorts of activities to do – plus, free drinks! Can’t beat that! )

The girls and guys split up in the morning/afternoon and did our own things. The resort is large enough that we never saw each other. The guys did all the water sports – tubing, skiing, knee boarding, etc…. My husband said it was a blast. The water was a little rough but it just added to the excitement. He wants to give a shout out to the playmakers too, as they were a main part in their fun. I guess there were pool games and such with drinking races involved - I don’t know much more - as it was a bachelor party ;o)

The girls had planned a snorkeling trip, but we were unable to go because the wind was fierce, making the water too choppy. So instead we hung out on the BEAUTIFUL beach drinking steal bottoms and swimming in their crystal clear water. It was a HOT-HOT day, so the drinks went down fast! The bartenders at the main beach bar were great; they made us all sorts of special drinks! We didn’t stray far from there and they kept us happy! We got pizza from Dino’s Pizzeria – the best pizza ever! So good we came back another day just to get it! (note: now they have a pizzeria at SRC but it hadn’t been built yet when we were there)

In the late afternoon we went back to SRC to clean up for dinner. Buses come often – they come and leave ON TIME! As long as you know the schedule you are great!

We came back to SMB for a group dinner. Silly us, we didn’t think about calling ahead and scheduling a group of 24 dinner. When we all showed up, they were a little thrown off, but handled it very well. The resort Manager came and spoke to us while they prepared seating or our group. He was a very kind and funny man. He spoke to my husband and I about love and marriage – it was just a special memory. They ended up putting us in the Bayside restaurant. The food was amazing!

We then went to the bar/amphitheater and enjoyed the steel drum band they had performing that night. The bartenders made us feel so special! One gentleman made a rose out of napkins that he then had my husband kneel and give to me!
We ended the night at Cricketers Pint @ SMB. This is the way to end the night! WOW! They had a DJ = Fun and Dancing, nuff said!

This was a fabulous place! The staff was so friendly. Even coming from a different Sandals Resort they treat you all the same.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

3,414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Short Review....overall we enjoyed our trip. The water is absolutely beautiful. Montego Bay is very close to the airport, and yes the planes can be very loud....guessing 8-12 planes a day, heard them as early as 8:00 AM and one as late as midnight. All the restaurants are right on the water, you really can't beat the view. The food is your average all-inclusive variety. Some items were very good and others just okay. We found the service to be uneven. The beach area is smaller than we are used to but it was nice. We really liked how convenient the airport was to the resorts.

We enjoyed the shuttle to the Royal Caribbean and that resort as well. We really enjoyed the private island at the RC. We reserved the beach beds with butler service on the island. Nicole our Butler was absolutely fantastic and it was well worth the $65 fee. We would do this again in a heartbeat.

Overall we had an excellent trip. The weather was perfect. We have stayed at better all-inclusive's for sure, but do not let this deter to you. Only suggestion might be to try and stay at the Royal Caribbean as it is a bit further from the airport. This was also our first trip to Jamaica and we really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Buildings 8 & 9 have a great water view, though are closest to the airport.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We just got back from a 3 night getaway and my wife and I had a great time at Sandals. It was our first time visiting a Sandal and Jamaica so we weren't quite sure what to expect. It is always funny to read these reviews before a trip and the see the complaints people have of a resort-- while this resort isn't perfect it is a wonderful spot and I would have a hard time thinking of anything bad to say. It is a beautiful spot and everyone goes out of there way to make your time there a great one.

First of all, a lot of people comment about the airport being so close. I thought it was a plus, especially for us only coming for 3 nights as we were really glad to be that close. The airport was a breeze and before you know it you are laying on the beach sipping a "Jamaica Smile" (you have to try one!). It is true that since the resort is so close that you do hear the occasional jet and it is loud, you quickly get used to it and I even thought it was pretty cool to watch they jets take off so close. It did not take away from our experience.

The resort staff was great. Very friendly and everyone was helpful. The food was good, not blow your socks off good, but a lot of choices and everything we had tasted good. For those that complained the plates being so small I am curious why they just didn't order another! It is all inclusive so you could order whatever and how much you liked. My wife and I would start with a few appetizers before ordering the main courses. I will say, make sure you make your reservations early- we couldn't get into Tokyo Joe's as it was booked up but if you are staying for a week I am sure it is no problem.

There is a ton to do on the resort. We only left twice, once to visit the Royal Caribbean Sandals which was a fun way to spend an afternoon. It is only a 4 minute shuttle over there and we spent a day on the private island they have. The pool bar there was great and we met some really nice other couples. Our bartender Linval was great and kept making us fun rum drinks! A word of advice would be to take note of the "clothing optional" section of the island....while exploring the natural island we snuck up on it and it is true what they say that it's never the people you want to see who participate in that!

Our other excursion was to do the catamaran sunset sail and booze cruise to snorkel and to Margaritaville. We tried to book it through the hotel's tour company but they were sold out while we were there so we went with another company I read about, The Dreamer Catamaran Tour. It was awesome and they picked us up and dropped us off right at the hotel. We had lots of fun on that tour and I would recommend it for those that want something to do outside the resort.

Other things we liked-- the Piano Bar sing-a-longs at night are a blast, the snorkeling right off the beach was awesome, and breakfast was really good and a great way to start each day.

Our room was in the Palm Building and it was great. Again, nothing over the top but had everything you needed and was clean. We loved being right on the first floor and our room had a patio we would sit out on a different times of the day.

It was a great experience and I would recommend this resort to anyone. We met lots of other couples just like us, getting away and there to have fun and soak up the great weather. Don't let any of these bad reviews turn you off as if you are staying here it is hard to not have a wonderful time!

Breslau,Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Has anyone been to this resort in Montego Bay. We have been to 5 Sandals and the majority of them are old tired 80s decor > Not the 5 star asthey believa they are compared to alot of other resorts.You spend way too much time at the front desk requesting bottled water or fridge restocking.Any thoughts?Or better suggestions for Montego Bay area would be appreciated

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Summary (short)
My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica (Christmas week). We arrived 12/24. It was our third time in Jamaica and our first time at a Sandals property and enjoyed it very much. We are both very well traveled (international and domestic and cruising) and have stayed at other all inclusives and can say this is overall a good value (not excellent, but good). The food, staff and resort are all good but please note, the property is not like the heavily (and poorly) photo shopped brochures. It needs significant updating to the rooms (esp. Palms building), painting, pictures, couches, railings, chair cushions, etc. all need refreshing. Even some of the common areas need a refresh. Please note, the overall feel of the place is that it’s a very nice resort (gorgeous views, etc.) and staff can be seen cleaning in common areas and are very friendly. Its just at this price point, I'm a little more particular. So if you are too (or you can afford a little more), then look elsewhere or consider the Sandals in St. Lucia. This one is tired and worn down. But travel is what you make of it, so we overlooked many of the items below and rate this particular Sandals property as average to good. For us, we really liked the overall Sandals experience (all inclusive, adult only) and were impressed enough that we put a deposit on the newer and even better Sandals Grande in St. Lucia for December 2013.

Details (long)
Guest profiles - A weird mix. We saw everyone from 20 something newly weds to 30's to 40's on up to a nice couple in their 70's celebrating 53 years of marriage. So it was a mix with the majority in their mid 40's (like us) trying to escape the whole holiday family / children fiasco (LOL). The atmosphere was very relaxed and most folks followed the dress codes (resort casual & resort evening). Please note, we saw many people that looked like this was the first time they had traveled and there were many sights that were definitely better unseen if you know what I mean, which you can expect at any resort. But if you’re a little more refined in your travel/cultural preferences, then I'd suggest seeking out a higher end property (liquor shots, heavy tattoos, belly bumps and ooh rahs to occasional four letter words over music loud speakers are not for everyone). And that crowd was definitely there.

However, we did meet many wonderful folks from all over US and Europe and we can say we had a most excellent time (travel is what you make of it). Friends are easily made at Sandals and we were blessed that we were joined by a couple that we had gotten familiar with (we kept bumping into them at dinner many nights). On our last night, we bumped into them again and we invited them to join us at the Royal Thai restaurant at the neighboring Sandals Royal Caribbean. Wonderful folks and we all enjoyed a great dinner under the moon light and warm breezes. Great night.

Resort Location - Pickup at the airport (the airport Sandals lounge is awesome) is fast and efficient. Only a 5 minute ride to the resort where you are welcomed with cold towels and helpful staff. The beach is gorgeous white sands and plenty of beach. Water is crystal clear blue and great for swimming and all activities. Sunsets cannot be seen to the left (as the resort faces north). You need to go to Negril to see the sunsets fully. But still a gorgeous view.

THE PLANES - IMPORTANT - The planes are right over your head folks and very loud cause the resort is adjacent to the end of the airport . If you're not used to 737 aircraft takeoff noise over your head or want total peace and quiet, look elsewhere. They are loud and fly every few minutes. We had a jet take off at 4:30 AM EST on 12/28 and as late as 11:30PM EST on 12/26. So there is no peace. You have to live with it or look elsewhere. My wife and I were ok with it and I like watching planes take off (kid at heart).

Resort updates - This is the original Sandals resort (1981) and it shows. It desperately needs a refresh. They have updated some sections and some rooms and private villas. But the Palms building (especially) and other buildings simply lacked that lackluster "pop" of a resort of this caliber (again brochures are misleading)...no vibrant colors, paint so poorly applied it looks like a 10 year old painted areas. Men's rooms with urine and dirt and broken fixtures. Chipped furniture and most of all, the cushions. Most seat cushions in the outside bar & dining areas are covered in bird poop. I always had to swap em out or just remove them. That's just plain gross in my opinion.

Rooms - we were originally booked in the newly refurbished "Sea Grapes" building but were "upgraded" to the "Palms Building" directly on the beach front. It's the first building on the right when you enter the resort. Yes as other reviewers mentioned, you can smell the garbage as you walk from the main building to the Palms Building. It wasn't bad, but it was noticeable and unacceptable at this price point. The rooms were not updated and definitely showed their wear and tear. While it was adequate and had a beautiful view of the beach, the room itself was tired and worn. Broken/cracked bath counter, crooked lights on the wall, broken towel rack hanging off the wall (they fixed after telling them 3 times), crooked pictures ( bolted hard to the wall so I couldn't even adjust myself (LOL). The beds were not very comfortable but were ok. Drawers in the dresser wouldn't stay shut.. The bed was noisy as all heck, so getting up early I would wake up my wife. In short, if you want a great location, choose Palms building, otherwise request the Sea Grapes or Almonds buildings and walk the 50/100 yards and avoid the garbage smell and awful rooms.

Beach - The best part of the resort! The beach was awesome, convenient and staff are always there to take your drink order. The only downside is that many of the chairs are broken and badly worn so competition is tight to get a good seat. We got up early (7am) and claimed a good spot under a palapa with new chairs.

WiFi - Awesome!! I'm a techy and this was great to have...and most importantly, it simply worked everywhere and was always fast. So it made using the ole iPAD on the beach really great. Thanks Sandals!!!!

Activities - Diving - I'm a certified diver and took 5 dives during our stay. The PADI dive facilities and staff were all excellent! The dive boats are immaculate and run very well. The trainers and dive masters are great! The equipment is pretty standard quality and condition (heavily worn out). I had to exchange a regulator cause one of the lines was sliced - not good if you’re a diver ;-). Very convenient because the docks, etc. are all right there. If you enjoy diving, I highly recommend you take advantage of this all inclusive treat!

Activities - Entertainment - There were many daily activities available, so much so that at some points we got a little annoyed with just too much of the "Playmakers" trying to get people involved in activities over the loud speakers. Just FYI, between them and the planes flying over from the airport, its was impossible to have 10 minutes of just quiet on the beach. This isn't the place for that. Get the "Daily Breeze" paper from the front desk each day and see the list of activities. There are many. Beach volleyball was a blast, the evening shows were mostly fun and we got lots of chuckles. I would say overall they are several notches down from a cruise ship (of course). But at least there is something to enjoy if you so choose. There is no real "disco" but Cricketeers Pub but does have a DJ most nights after 10pm and can be fun dancing.

Staff - Most were so nice and helpful and fun. We had fun dancing with some in Crickateers Pub. The room cleaning person always did a nice job and overall very wonderful staff. The only exception was spotty bar service.

Food Restaurants - Food and service was all very good (not excellent) except the Cucina Romana (skip it) it was just not good at all. My wife's supposed rib eye was a cheap thin piece of some kind of strip. It was terrible and the deserts were all sub par at best. The only dessert we liked was some kind of chocolate and banana cake at Tokyo Joe's. The rest was not worth the calories. Have more alcohol..LOL Tokyo Joe's hibachi experience was fun and interesting. Oleander was very good. White glove service, very nice. Decent food quality. On the beach, the Jerk Chicken at the BBQ was awesome. Overall I'd say the food was two notches down from say a cruise ship, but still good quality.

Food Bar - Service was adequate but spotty. Beach service was excellent but then some of the other bartenders seemed to be distracted and focused on other things, with constant chit chat amongst themselves and rarely focusing on the guests. Beringer is the only wine unless you want to pay more for a bottle. They only had no-name coconut flavored rum which honestly was so bad it gave me a headache. I'm used to Parrott bay or Malibu and this substitute (what ever it was) was terrible. I especially don't like it when I ask for Malibu, they say they have it, and I watch them pour in a no name brand and when I ask if that is Malibu they say yes. I really hate it when bartenders lie to my face. No tips for you all. Most bars have only 2 kinds of beer, Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light. If you want Heineken or some top shelf liquor you have to ask for it in Cricketeers Pub but they do have it.

Room Tip: Choose Sea Grapes or Almonds buildings as they are refurbished.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family had a Christmas holiday at this all inclusive resort hotel. It was one of the best vacations that we ever had. The facilities are not all that new, but I must have the highest praise for the staff of the resort hotel who more than make up for the facilities. The Sandals Co. has a few hotels around this area, and this particular hotel is not overwhelmingly large and thus the staff remembered us and our name. They are friendly, smart, and so much willing to make you comfortable. We considered a upgrade to a 'valet suite', but did not do it: if you are just having a vacation, as opposed to a function such as wedding or party, you will not feel it necessary to have the valet service, or to upgrade the room. In fact you don't. Bar staff on the beach come around and bring drinks of your choice to you; Booking restaurants is so easy, etc. We tried all restaurants in the resort hotel, and others in adjacent alliance hotels under the Sandals banner. They were all very good. Particularly we liked steak at Cucina, an Italian restaurant, rack of lamb at Oleander, a Jamaican restaurant, and pizzas at the beach side cafeteria. The dinner trip to Le Jardiniere, a French restaurant at the Royal Caribbean, was worthwhile: The Filet mignon dinner, shown as "tender loin steak" on the menu, was one of the best steaks that I have ever had- you may book it on the day of your arrival as only a limited (3?) couples are allowed from other hotel. We also enjoyed our outing to the Royal Thai restaurant, which is located on a small island off the Royal Caribbean. The main bar of the Royal Caribbean in a closed room is classy with a array of excellent Martinis. The house keeping service was great as well: even if you sleep through the day due to hang-up and go out for dinner and party in the evening, the staff will keep eye on your move and clean the room and you need not ask for it.
Having said the highest compliments, I would like to make some suggestions: First, cleaning and maintenance at the beach area should be improved. I happened to witness a glass being dropped and shattered in the outdoor buffet area at the Christmas eve dinner. I observed the staff cleaning up, and felt that it was not really thorough. I could not bear the thought that somebody might have a broken glass piece getting lodged in his bare foot as the place was near the beach volleyball court and other actions (Usually plastic cups are used for the safety reason, I understand; it was a big Christmas eve buffet dinner at the beach). Next morning, I went there back, and found 2 fairly large glass pieces on that spot. I called the server at the nearby pizza cafeteria, and she just picked them up in a little matter-of-factish manner. It did not mind her giving no appreciation for my pointing out, but it really bothered me that she showed no further interest to search for more pieces if any. Not being fully reassured, I myself looked around further and easily found 2 more pieces of ugly looking broken glass. Above all, I felt rewarded with the knowledge that I might have saved an unlucky vacationer a major wound and discomfort, and the resort management at least thousands of dollars of medical bills and damage payment. I am glad to fill in for that, but next time our Lord may not be as merciful as to send an accidental witness and obsessive safety-butt like myself. Second, the main bar may have some room for improvement. I have found the senior staff there least friendly and welcoming among all bars, and the general level of service is not so high as the afore-mentioned counterpart (bar) at the Royal Caribbean. Third, the gift shop was a really low point of the resort. We bought rum and coffee as the gift-shop staff told us that the airport is the last chance place for shopping and thus the prices might be higher. In fact, later we found that they were half-priced at the airport duty-free shop, and I do not think that sales tax cannot fill all the gap. Are this misleading gift-shop staff a genuine rookie like us or a quick-minded businessperson who does not have any loyalty to the resort client who has already paid a large fortune to be there? I sincerely hope that the management would change their mindset on this point: the gift shop is not a place to make a few more dollars from the clients, but to provide additional services to their already excellent existing services. Fourth, upon our arrival at the airport, which was really crowded and inadequately serviced, the staff at the Sandals reception room said that the porters are not the staff of the Sandals, who are not to be tipped as all tips are included, and thus suggested that they be given tips for carrying luggage. As soon as we were ushered into the reception/waiting room - I could not even have a moment to get water-, we were told that the porter was ready to carry our luggage to the transfer bus. Then, the bus was about 100 meters away from the reception room. It seems that we could have taken our wheeled luggage to the bus by ourselves. It looked as if they put us to the room only to separate us from the luggage so that the porter could carry it such a short distance. One might wonder whether the Sandals staff are shifting to the client their business dues which are to be paid to the local airport staff and authorities. At least, the staff at the reception room should inform the client of the short distance between the reception room and the bus parking, and the option of carrying his own luggage if he wants. I want to keep these in a proportion: As the service at the resort was so good I did not feel really ripped off in any sense of the word, and thought that we just gave our tips (but to somebody who may not deserve).
All in all, it was such an enjoyable experience, and I must congratulate the Sandals management on being lucky to have such great staff.

Room Tip: On your arrival, consider the option of not using the airport porter from the Sandals reception room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Sandals Montego Bay was our second Sandals Christmas vacation in as many years. Last year we stayed at Sandals Royal Bahamian. Let me start by saying, there is no comparison between the two. MoBay was much better!

The resort was much more full and the crowd seemed more our age - mid 40's. There were plenty of daily activities to keep people busy, if they wanted. There was also a very long beach to lay on, if one preferred that. There really was something for everyone.

Transfer from the airport was speedy and efficient. We were greeted with Red Stripe and a smile. Our bags were whisked away quickly, as were we. Check in was fast and thirst quenching with a refreshing rum punch to start our vacation.

Our room was lovely. Being Sandals Select Members we were upgraded to a third floor luxury ocean view room. It was comfortable. Our bed was very comfy although, another couple we spoke to didn't like their bed. We had no complaints. My only complaint, and it is minor, is the bathroom was a bit small. Also, we were not supplied with enough towels. At least two showers per day times two people, equals more than two towels. Turn down service was non existent and I had to call for extra towels. Again, IMO, this is minor.

The food was OK. It was nothing spectacular. Having said that, we were unable to get into a few of the restaurants we really wanted to. I HIGHLY recommend reservations as soon as you settle it. Seating is limited.

The beverages were plentiful and flowed without discretion! Any possible combination of drink you want, they can and will make. We recommend The Miami Vice (which we discovered last year at Royal Bahamian).

The activities are as varied as the guests and include something for everyone including beach/pool volleyball, beer drinking contests and reggae dance lessons. All very fun.

The pools were COLD. Freezing, in fact. I think because they don't see much sun during the day this time of year but we couldn't even swim in them. The "Main Pool" is small and frankly, it's far from the bar. The swim up pool has very little seating on the deck and as I mentioned, the water was way too cold to "swim up" to the bar.

We went on the catamaran party cruise. It was OK. There was snorkelling included which we were unaware of until we boarded but for us it didn't matter as we are not snorkelers. The stop at Margaritaville was, in our opinion, a complete waste of time. Once you arrive, you have to pay for anything you eat or drink. Why bother when there is free food and booze on the boat - which we already paid for! Plus, the place itself was a complete dive. I wouldn't have eaten from that kitchen if you paid me.

One of the best things about Sandals "Stay at one, play at three" option, is you can visit other resorts. We visited The Royal Caribbean twice and really enjoyed it. I recommend the bus ride over there. It's less than five minutes away.

Oh, and one last thing. To the people complaining about the planes; get over it. Really. The noise only lasts for about five seconds and the planes are few and far between. You really do get used to it.

Overall, we had a great week. The reasons I am giving three stars, not five, are as follows:
Bathroom was small and there were too few towels
The pools were freezing
The food was OK and restaurant reservations are difficult to get

We would recommend Sandals MoBay for a fun filled vacation with lots to do.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!