“One of the best vacations ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Montego Bay

Save Saved
You added Sandals Montego Bay to your Saves list
Sandals Montego Bay
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Bay, Kent Avenue, Montego Bay 100, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Couples Massage!
Ranked #8 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Reading, Pennsylvania
“One of the best vacations ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

All i can say is that Sandals is just great! This is really a top luxury resort! We felt pampered the whole week when we were there! The rooms are really nice and clean, the grounds are awesome, well kept and the beach is amazing! The white sand and the turquoise water just make your day! We spent 7 days at the beginning of May and the weather was perfect! We had rain every day almost around 4pm but it wasn't the kind of rain we are used to - Jamaicans called it "liquid sunshine" - you would start to feel raindrops on you but the weather won't change and the sun would still shine, same temperature outside - we used this perfect moment of the day to take a nap before dinner and after a long day at the beach in the sun, full of activities! The food is just great - the multitude of restaurants with gourmet food would please anybody! I would recommend the restaurant on the beach where you can also dine at night barefoot - great seafood - and the Japanese restaurant where you can watch your food being cooked! The nice thing about Sandals at Montego Bay is that you can visit the other 2 Sandals resorts nearby - eat and play there for free also - we did not have time to go but it's neat that they offer that!There is a free shuttle daily to those resorts. The entertainment was really nice - every day they would put up a show - everybody would dance and sing - we had a really good time!! There are activities every day - so you can either choose to do nothing at all and just sit on the beach or do everything that they offer! Another great thing is that all the activities are free at the resort - snorkeling, kayaking, sailing - you can have fun all day long! I would definitely recommend Sandals to everybody- especially couples who love adult only resorts!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

3,349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This was my second time to Sandals and my partner's first time. We stayed here for 14 nights between the end of February and first half of March.

First of all the positives. The staff were great and very friendly, attentive and helpful. Despite talk of service in the Caribbean being slow, we had no complaints at all. Overall the resort setting was great, very well kept and clean. The facilities were fabulous and the food on the whole was surprisingly good quality. We had been warned about the close proximity to the airport, and as most people have commented, you get used to it fairly quickly and the noise although loud, lasts for a very short time.

The tour options were superb and well worth the money. We did Dunn's River Falls, Swim with Dolphins and the Ziplining experience. People were all friendly although have a few dollars handy and be prepared to tip outside the resort.

There were a number of negatives for us, some of which is simply preference, others were generally annoying.

1. Although the food was above average quality, the menus were quite limited and repetitive for people staying for more than 7 days.
2. The sunbeds were very uncomfortable compared to other 5 star resorts we have stayed at.
3. There was very little opportunity to find shade on the beach, something we found particularly bad in these days of skin cancer awareness. Where there were sun shades you either had to be reserving these early (the good old placement of towels routine) or have the butler service. The really annoying thing about this however, is that the butlers often reserved the best sunbeds for special guests and these were then not used.
4. Despite the planes, the resort is still unbelievably noisy. There were usually several different venues playing different loud music. Some of the guests on the beach (sorry to my American friends) spoke incredibly loudly to the point of distraction, and particularly around the pool bar towards late afternoon! Not great for a relaxing time.
5. The bed in the room was uncomfortable being extremely hard. The maid who did a great job of looking after the room did put on an extra mattress topper for us but I still found it uncomfortable.

Overall it was a good holiday and others may find some of this not a problem. You cannot fault the Sandals experience but we will most likely choose another resort or island next time.

Room Tip: Closer to the beach was probably better as far as plane noise is concerned. Check that the beds are...
Wenatchee, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

After staying at a Sandals in St. Lucia two years ago, we decided to try a Jamaican resort at the recommendation of a couple we met in St. Lucia. They told us they loved Jamaica, and felt that at times it gets a bad rap......let me tell you they were not wrong!
This was the best vacation ever. We enjoyed a beachfront room and the view was fabulous. Everyday Jennifer came and left the room perfect! She couldn't have been more helpful. MoBay has lots of activities, but you can watch, join in or find a quiet place at the other end of the beach.

The food was fantastic and we really enjoyed the Oleander and Stewfish restaurants. Deryl was our server at the Stewfish and really took care of us! We really enjoyed the bar on the beach. It was so relaxing to sit at night by the fire and enjoy the ocean.

All of the employees were more than willing to help at all times. I really appreciated the crew that took me diving. It was the day before I left so I need to go in the morning, as we flew the next a.m. All of the other divers had canceled, but they didn't hesitate to take me alone out for a fantastic dive. Captain Winston and divemaster Hainsworth made sure I enjoy it.

The catamaran evening cruise was great. The crew was fantastic with a special thank you to Derron! He was so helpful with all of our questions.

We did several tours and loved the Negril resort as well as the Dunn River waterfall climb. The guide were great and very good to let you know about history and information on the area.

We did take a private taxi and went out to the countryside to see where the local people lived. It was the best experience of the trip! Our driver stopped along the way so we could meet some of the local people and everyone was so gracious and helpful everywhere we went. I think at times people hesitate to venture outside the resorts and planned tours, but this was such an eyeopener for us. It was so wonderful! I would certainly recommend it.

We will be back to both Sandal and Jamaica!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This was our first time at a Sandals resort, and our first time at an all-inclusive. We were at Sandals MoBay from March 3-6 (attending a wedding). We didn't know what to expect out of an all-inclusive. We're usually the type of people who like to rent a car so we can drive around, rent a villa and cook our own meals...basically do our own thing. We were so impressed with the service and overall ease of this trip. From the minute we arrived at the airport, we were taken care of. We were impressed with the food, and the resort (although it was at capacity) never felt overcrowded.

One thing I would recommend (that we regret) is to bring CASH! We didn't bring a cent, and even though service was fantastic, we would have liked to tip our bartenders and the guy who carried our bags to our room. Even though they say not to tip, you clearly should be tipping.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Went to Sandals MoBay from 2/19-2/27- stayed in the concierge honeymoon walkout suite- was right near the beach bar/ and pool area. I was a little apprehensive when I booked because I started reading some mixed reviews, and since this was my honeymoon I did not want to be disappointed- well, let me tell you I was not! I have no idea what people can complain about- yes, this is the first Sandals but NO it was not run down, it was beautiful, clean, the employees were friendly/helpful. I did not get bored the entire time I was there. The beach is huge, it really is a big beach for an all-inclusive. The pools were nice, good to relax in the afternoon. Food was good, I'd give it a B+/ A- ...if you decide to book, make sure you make your reservations for the restaurant’s the first night (that way you don't have to worry about it) Sandals MoBay has shuttles that run between the Carlyle & Royal Caribbean...we went to RC one day- glad we didn’t stay there...it was nice, but much smaller- no nightlife....I would recommend this place to anyone- very happy with everything.

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

It's embarassing to say that you've forgotten exactly how many trips you've had to a resort, but we're thinking it's about 17 to Sandals MoBay. In all of the years we've been going, we've only had some minor problems, and none particularly related to Sandals itself. This year we actually noticed that everything was top-notch. The resort is constantly updating and changing, and we were so pleased with everything, including the new pizza restaurant and the additional seating by the new firepits. We had a great selection of wonderful meals at all of the restaurants served piping hot by friendly, eager to please servers. Our room was impeccably clean every day, and the drinks were cold, abundant, and most times, remembered by the bartenders when we re-ordered. A nice touch this year, were the servers right on the beach! Yes there are planes that are noisy for about 30 seconds, but at least it's not a leaf-blower or a snow-blower! Always, the highlight of the trip for us, are the friendly and gracious employees who love to share their knowledge of everything Jamaican.
We love this place!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice, decide how much time you will spend in them to determine how much you wan...
Saint Thomas, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I travelled for the first time to Jamaica March 2nd and returned home March 9th 2012. We had been to a Sandals in Cuba twice and loved it, but decided to try a different country for this vacation. We decided to book into Sandals after debating on trying a different hotel. I am very glad that we decided on Sandals again. We loved it! The food was fabulous and very plentiful. My husband has dietary constraints (Diabetic and Celiac) and had no problem with the choice of food available. The drinks were great, the entertainment fun, and the weather was perfect. If you have a spa treatment, you will be in heaven. I had a massage with Tamica, and she is not only a nice person, but does a very good massage... I didn't think that I could be more relaxed, but I was after the treatment. The spa itself has a relaxing atmosphere, which is nice. Lots of brides and weddings going on, and as I love weddings, I was enjoying myself. Planes, yes, they take off... meh... wave good bye.. and they're gone.
Lots of activities if you chose, and lots of just sitting around and reading or taking in the sights if you don't. We took the shuttle to Royal Carribean one day, and the Carlyle another. I was glad we decided on Montego Bay as it is busier and more fun than the other two Sandals. Now, as for the staff... couldn't be nicer. Canadians should take note just how hard the staff here work. I got a daily morning hug from Jennifer who was not even our housekeeper.. she was just so nice and made me feel like I was loved. Our housekeeper was Valerie, and she hugged us goodbye. She also made up our room everyday and was so kind when I broke a coffe cup and she had to sweep it up. Reyon (Mr. Happy) was our "barman" and he was so accommodating. I miss him already. Robert
( who is just ONE of the Many amazing waiters, both male and female) is a very nice person, and he always knew how I liked my coffee in the morning (decafe). Good luck to Sophia on April 14th Marvin (concierge) is fabulous, helpful and kind as is Truddy May..The mc's at the show were great, as are all the playmakers! I could go on and on. A vacation, like life, is what you make it.
If you treat people with respect, you'll get it back... If you look at things with negativity, that is what you will find staring back at you. I just want to get on a plane and go back again. One love.... Let's get together and we''ll be alright!

Room Tip: Palms building was fine for us... watched the volleyball tournaments and enjoyed the view of the oce...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!