“Stay at Ridgeway Guest House and get to know Montego Bay the safe way.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ridgeway Guest House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montego Bay
Ridgeway Guest House
34 Queens Dr | W.I., Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #24 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Caribbean
“Stay at Ridgeway Guest House and get to know Montego Bay the safe way.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I spent 2 weeks in September in Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was my second time to Jamaica. The first was to Kingston some 10 years ago. At first I decided I should "live like a local" I took a taxi cab to the centre of St.James Street. It cost $100JM which is equivalent to 1.25US. For me this was not the right choice but I was unaware of the sights. Then I met Colin...just by chance, on my way to the University. This was the right choice.

Colin operates Ridgeway Guest House. I found this place by chance on a visit to the university. It is about three minutes drive to the airport and certainly within walking distance for those with little luggage. What impressed me was Colin's generousity of spirit. He offered and on several occasions took my son and I to various shopping destinations. He showed us the Montego Bay we were looking for. Yes there is the HIP Strip and other tourist attractions but sometimes you prefer to see what a "local" lives like. I appreciated Montego Bay because of Colin. He shows you how to get around and in the end you learn more than just the tourist areas and you save as well. For those of you who like to incorporate the "living like a local " theme in your travels..get to know Montego Bay the safe way, Stay at Ridgeway Guest House...It is not for families with small children. it will work for couples or singles or friends staying together. There is a rental car company on the compound as well.

Room Tip: This is a guest house, not a hotel. There is no restaurant on the compound.The location is perfect f...
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Found Ridgeway on Trip Advisor while at the airport waiting for my flight to Montego Bay. Called several places in the "budget" category and Colin was by far the nicest. The price was right, too, but $70USD for one night seemed too good to be true. "We'll see when we get there," my friend said. We're both seasoned travelers and skeptical but our fears were quickly dismissed. Colin picked us up when we arrived and right away, we had the sense that he was good people. The guesthouse is across the street from the airport so if you pack light, you can walk there. The rooms are clean, the water was hot, and the staff was friendly. We walked to the beach (though I'd recommend taking a taxi if you don't want to walk two mikes in the sun), Hip Strip and the famous Pork Pit other reviewers have mentioned. I definitely plan to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

stayed here for a week and couple days. i felt safe being there and i liked the fact that the airport is very close by and the hip strip is also not far from there aswell. the room that i stayed had a balcony and a small kitchenette, pretty decent. I got excellent service and i enjoyed me stay in montego bay

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

After traveling around Jamaica, I needed to spend the night in montego bay to catch a flight th next afternoon. Colin, the owner of ridgewood, was fabulous. Honestly it was one of the most warm and welcoming experiences I've had in a hotel. The place is perfectly clean and convenient if you need toget to the airport. It's family-owned. Colin spent the morning driving me around the city. We ate porridge a juicy patties and he dropped me off at the pharmacy and beach. He went out of his way to make me feel comfortable, and was just a genuinely generous person. It was such a unexpectedly pleasant goodbye to Jamaica. Also the price is very good.

• Stayed August 2012
new orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

i stayed at ridgeway from march 27th to april 2nd . let me tell you. this place was better than much more expensive places i've stayed in mo'bay. this is my 5th time coming to jamaica and i've stayed all over the island.the rooms are real clean ,the location is right by the airport.and most importantly the rooms were very affordable.you have to catch a taxi down the road to get some real good jamaican food but the taxi's are cheap.there is a rental car place right beneath ridgeway so that was perfect because i had to drive to kingston for a few days.the owner offered to drive me to the airport on my departing flight.i've stayed at palmview guesthouse, big apple hotel, gloria's hotel and others and this place is my top pick.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We visited Montego Bay in February 2012 and Collin and the Ridgeway guest house made the trip feel safe and secure! We were four girls and we were really happy to stay in such a safe place, and yet in the middle of the real life, not in a resort. The prices were reasonable, rooms were really nice and clean and the location is rather good. It is near the airport and there is a private beach (guarded and safe, entrance fee around 5 dollars/day) within 15 minute walk or 3 dollar taxi ride. The owner Collin was really really nice, picked us up from the airport and took us there when we left, helped us with all the things we needed. There was also a car rental place in the ridgeway complex, so it was easy to rent a car for a day and the prices were good. All in all, Montego Bay was a nice place as we wanted to see Jamaica but felt that Kingston would be a bit too much for us. I could really recommend Ridgeway to someone who wants to stay couple of nights near Montego Bay before continuing to other sides of the island. Nice and comfortable with good price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I had an overnight stay at the Ridgeway Guest House last year as we were in Jamaica for my sisters wedding which was taking place at the Beaches Resort in Ocho Rios. After spending a week at the Beaches Resort, I was somewhat disappointed because it didn't feel like the Jamaica that I had expected. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time with my family and friends, but the resort seemed to be missing that "something" that makes visiting a different country special. I had made arrangements to stay at Collins' place in Montego Bay the day before our flight back home. Collin was awesome! He went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable and happy with our room. The rooms were spotless and I genuinely felt at home. After talking to him about our trip, He basically could not have us leave the next day without experiencing a little bit of the real Jamaica. He took us around in his car showing us the best places to go and, most importantly, where not to go. After a quick tour of the "strip," he dropped us of at this place called the "Pork Pit." Now if your into "jerk," then you must stop there! Most AMAZING jerk chicken I've ever had!! We then spent the rest of the evening bar hopping the strip until 2 AM. My experience at the Ridgeway Guest House was over a year ago to date, but i can honestly say that day in Montego MADE my trip... and its all thanks to Collin.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ridgeway Guest House? Share your experiences!