“Not bad for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Not bad for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Let me start by saying I've been to a few places in Jamaica and my wife is from here. We found this place on hotels.com. They said it was on the beach.

Pros,
Short elevator ride down to the street to ocean entrance- not ON the beach.
Decent price 6 nights $665
Free pass to beach
Clean room, no bugs, ample size for 1 bedroom w/kitchen
Center of town
Close to airport
Laundry service
Ac worked good in bedroom
Room service from restaurant
Small pool-ok but ocean is colder water-pool water too warm
Decent wifi and lots of tv channels-some snowy-can't understand that if it's cable.

Cons;
The worst thing they could do- have the ac off when you get there so it's 100 degrees when you wak in!
Didn't tell us there were pots and pans available when signing in. Found out through these reviews!
No a/c in rest of apt, only fan just bedroom. This could be a deal breaker when your expecting the whole place to be cool when it's 100% humidity like we had.Leaving the bedroom door open only makes it manageable.
Curtains didn't close all the way in both rooms.
Patio furniture used in apt- bamboo-outdated
They charge you for the shuttle to the airport. This should be free.
Very slow service at the restaurant. Don't expect all food on the menu to be available- that's everywhere in Jamaica tho.
Nobody delivers food from the outside of the hotels. You have to drive there.
No tv in bedroom. Would be nice since that's where the ac is.

Would I return? I don't believe I'll be coming back to Jamaica at all. To me it's not worth it...just a great ocean. The food at sand bar beach restaurant I sent back for lack of meat in the sandwich .

Room Tip: We were in d block and it was quiet contrary to what some others said about road noise.
Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Craig C,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We do our best to ensure that our guests are comfortable and well informed. The bamboo chairs are no longer on the patios as we have new furniture in our suites now. As for the transportation from the airport, you didn't get a shuttle, you got a private taxi. Taxis are not usually free.

Ordia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

El Greco Resort has really nice grounds. The rooms are very spacious & they also feature kitchens & balconies on them. Where the resort sits, you can't really see the beach, but depending on which unit you're in, you can see the water. It's a very short walk to the beach & hip strip. If you can deal with being a short walk from the hip strip, the beach, & not having all the amenities like an all-inclusive resort, this is a good place to stay. Also you get a nice view from the seaview restaurant.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Rick N,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our property.

We look forward to the pleasure of having you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stay at the El Greco and everything was amazing. The check in was quick and simple and they were all very friendly. the rooms huge and clean. this is not a 5 star place but if good hospitality and clean rooms are what matter to you most, then you should stay here. the hotel is just above a beatuful beach and an elevator ride takes u there. they provide the passes (valued ant US$6ea) for guests. Nice restaurant provides great food and a great view of the sea. Servers there need training. but overall very good. some the ladies in admin(not sure which department, small office on our block) will just walk past you without even good morning but everyone else was friendly. also the shop sells everything you might need during your stay.

Room Tip: A block rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mistique,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We do value your feedback and we will strive to improve our service at the restaurant.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

El Greco did very well for the week that I was there. Front Desk always helpful and accommodating. If your looking for something with properly sealed doors and windows (for little red ants) go elsewhere, unless you've travelled before and know how to handle them. The beach is a quick 5 mins away over pedway and down an elevator on the 2nd floor the shop on the right cheapest smokes and booze I could find anywhere! Little ol lady at bottom of spiral staircase sells fresh fruit daily. The stay came with complimentary breakfast (Jamaican or American) and free passes to Doctors Cave Beach! Bring goggles if you don't wanna pay $6 US for snorkelling gear! $6 US for a chair in the shade is worth getting minimal sand fly bites! Word of advice barter your taxi trip prices before you hop in and take red liscence plates only. $2-3 J will get you into town that's 5 mins drive away. If you know a local let them take you around, it minimizes the harassment my and likelihood of being ripped off. If you eat at the Seaview for breakfast make sure you ask for Jerome, sweet young lad who will take care of you! He even helped is arrange taxi to airport on the way back! The servers don't initially tell you but you can mix up what's available for breakfast! I often had 2 of the Jamaican breakfast offerings on my plate like Saltfish and Ackee or Sausage and beans. I always asked for a pot of coffee and condensed milk to be left with me so I could drink my fill! Smoking is illegal in public ( why not ban cars?!) but on the beach and on the the resort it's fine as long as not common area. Even smoking a joint or two on the beach no one would bother you! I brought my own alcohol to the beach so I wouldn't have to pay lots. If you go to Doctors Cave the beach bar servers are great. Anya (Ava?) from Sands is great! One of the better servers! Overall my stay was very good, only cussed out one taxi driver for ripping my gf off :)

• Stayed June 2014
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to find your way around Montego Bay. We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed your daily complimentary breakfast.

We look forward to having you again with us.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I recently stayed at El Greco Resort in Montego in Jamaica. The staff were very warm and accommodating beyond reasons, upon arrival the front desk staff made me feel welcome and at home with my every needs attended to.
The property is located in the heart of Montego Bay however it’s a secret paradise with just an elevator ride down to the beautiful doctor’s cave beach.
My experience was great with apartment style dwelling i.e. Bedroom, living room, and kitchen.
The food was excellent, and the view from the restaurant overlooking the beach was to die for!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Pumadine,

Thank you for posting your review of our property. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to having you again with us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed here for twelve days with my sister and two friends(my friends live in Jamaica). The unit reminded me of a townhouse, it was very spacious with two large bedrooms. Both rooms had AC but the second room did not have a TV and no AC in the living room or kitchen. Most of the nights, we had to leave the front door open and the balcony door to get a breeze. I could not imagine staying here in the summertime. The kitchen is large however, there are tiny insects in the cabinets which we learned very quickly not to use them. We had plastic cups in the cabinet and I grabbed one with at least 50 red insects in it. Housekeeping comes daily and she had no problem bleaching everything for us but the insects still came. Never had a problem with them in the bed just the bathroom and kitchen. They did get on my laptop as well. The breakfast was good but not plentiful I did ask for more at times which they had no problem giving more. Sometimes certain foods ran out. I did feel safe and security monitored premises at night. You can have guest but they have yo leave by 8 or 9pm. You get free beach towels and beach passes daily which is a plus. The location is great right in the heart of the strip. I think for the price this hotel is a great deal. If they could get rid of the insects I would not mind staying here every time I come to Jamaica. Here is a tip for anyone coming. Bring insect spray, pots and pans , plastic ware and cooking utensils. You can stock your fridge with food and drinks from the market. If you want to save money and not go all inclusive. I would recommend El Greco, as long as tiny insects don't bother you. If you keep everything clean and not leave foods of drinks out you will be fine. I am actually coming back to Jamaica for two weeks in June and debating if I want to spend a week here.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hello,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced and will do our best to improve.

We hope to have you again with us.

Castries, St. Lucia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The outside of this hotel holds promises which are not fulfilled by the rooms. It has a good layout but desperately needs upgrading and modernizing. I stayed in B Block on the ground floor; thankfully for only one night. I found the doors (both back and front) did not seem very secure. Too loose and shaky. The curtains in the living room did not close completely and being on the ground floor, this made me a bit nervous. Eventually, I crossed them one over the other and wedged a bar stool against them to keep them closed. There is one A/C unit in the bedroom and none in the living area, which makes little sense. In addition, for the entire night I was there, the A/C only blew regular air. It never got cold.

Furniture is very outdated and cupboards a bit musty. I did not dare open any in the kitchen for fear of insects. There were ants running around in the bathroom. Even after letting the 'hot' water run for more than 15 minutes, it never heated up and because I had no time to wait for them to attempt to fix it I braced myself and did a cold shower both on the evening of arrival and morning of departure. Strangely, my friend in the room next door had very hot water. The floor tiles throughout are the old fashioned, very small ones which indicates just how old the rooms are. I did not like the musty smell of the bathroom and the extractor fan made no difference. Bed sheets are incredibly thin and I was not happy about the level of laundered freshness. I used my personal pillow case (always travel with one as a precaution) but did not have a comfortable night's sleep. Towels also lacked any softness.

Breakfast service was very slow. I would not go back there unless I knew they had done an entire and complete upgrade! I do not recommend at all.

Room Tip: I would suggest that you choose NO rooms here and investigate other options
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced. We value you feedback and will do our best to ensure that we improve. As for the water heater, turning it on usually does the trick.

We hope we are given the opportunity to serve you again.

Ordia

Been to El Greco Resort? Share your experiences!