“Definately a good value” 4 of 5 stars

El Greco Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   11 Queens Dr, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Edmonton, Canada
“Definately a good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed in Jamica over Xmas for three weeks and since we are very familiar with Jamaicea figured we didnt need to stay in a large all inclusive this time. We paid 800 for the whole month which was a good price we thought.

Pros: The view from the patio area by the restaurant was beautiful
Staff were friendly
Lots of security around day and night to make you feel safe
Room was spacious
Price was very reasonable
Quiet we didnt here any noise
Very close to the hip strip to walk down and have a drink in the evening or walk on the ocean
Very easy to catch a taxi from the hip strip day and night
I did not see any bugs or ants at all
Grounds ar clean and well maintained

Cons:Maid service once a week was a little hard since the rooms have no broom etc. Maids were friendly and some cleaned better than others but was acceptable.
The bed was comfortable enough although the pillows were flat no stuffing.
The air conditioner is only in the bedroom and at times it was still very hot with it on
The bathroom was in the bedroom not conveniant if you have people over
The pool was not heated and at this time of the year can be a little too cold
The fridge in the room didnt work great and froze vegetables etc
They charge you for lights and power additional and they will not show you a meter reading so they are free to charge you as they wish. I believe the bill was at least double what it should have been since I am familiar with Jamica costs so that was a turn off.

Overall when it comes to value I felt it was a good deal. If you are a frequent visitor to Jamaica and dont need the all inclusive type of place because you are going to be entertaining yourself than I would recommend these condo style rooms

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just got back from Jamaica. We stayed at El Greco on our last night to be closer to the airport. Room was immaculate and I appreciate that they are making a huge effort to conserve energy. The private beach was a short walk away and one of the best swimming spots I have been. Staff was very helpful. I would definitely stay again, since you really get your money's worth there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Satyed here for only one night with friends. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was very clean and spacious. This included the 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining area, living room and a balcony. The view was lovely. We got a complimentary breakfast which was excellent. I will be going back to stay hopefully soon for much longer.

Room Tip: Suites I know is spacious and clean
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Newbury Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days on the way home to London. Very good accommodation. staff very helpful and all extremely courteous,Had some issues with no keys for the safe in our suite but this was quickly resolved by a change of suite.Security is excellent. Free access to Doctor's Cave is fantastic, as it well worth spending time on. Being so close to the Hip Strip was also an experience but local residents here as in the other parts visited were extremely helpful and welcoming. Very lively area and safe to walk around late in. The Pork Pit is a must......seafood day on Saturday.... Go!!

Stay away from Chinese restaurants- tried one out of curiousity - no longer curious and certainly won't be doing that again any time soon. ! would definitely book a stay at EG again. Its proximity to the Airport is a bonus but not intrusive....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

To the Staff at the El Greco Resort Hotel:

I just want to thank everyone at the El Greco Resort Hotel for the outstanding service and wonderful time that I spent at your resort hotel. I stayed at the El Greco for 21 days (29 November - 19 December 2012) and I can't compliment the Staff enough for unsurpassed service and a most memorable experience. This hotel is the best - top ranking on every level. The Sea View Restaurant is outstanding and the cooks and wait staff are tremendous. I stayed in room 202 in D Block which was very nice. A great and comfortable room. No complaints. The grounds are well kept, and the security was wonderful. The view is beyond fantastic and everything was neat and tidy. The pool was a welcome relief and very stress relieving after walking up and down the hip strip. The housekeeping staff should be commended for attention to detail. I felt comfortable the whole time I was there. I especially wish to thank Michael for everything he did to ensure that my stay was pleasant. Also to be commended, as well as recommended was my driver Gavin Duncan who's driving skills are second to none, and the dancehall cd's in his taxi were jamming! I am looking forward to returning to the El Greco Resort Hotel, and I recommend it highly to anyone who wants to stay at a great hotel with a comfortable atmosphere, excellent rates, great food and a wonderful staff.

Room Tip: I stayed 3 weeks in D Block, and had no complaints. A very nice hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Evanston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Recently 2 family members and myself returned to El Greco for a short stay; we had returned for a family reunion plus the entombment ceremonies for my Mother's Sister; needless to say there were changes, and unfortunately not for the better. Previously, the selling point for us was the wide array of indigenous food selection they allowed for breakfast, now you are given a meager amount and as an expatriate can you imagine being told they were out of ackee and cod fish on Christmas Morning, even eggs they were out of. No indigenous fruits, what we received was as if we never left the states. Granted it's been about 30 years since I have been back at this time of the year, and some things might not have been in season but come on!!
The facilities were still OK but could use a face lift, such things as the handles on the windows were broken and we stayed in the B block and the traffic noise was notice-able but tolerable, since it seems Montego Bay is bursting at the seams. The locale is excellent, the staff, good and very accommodating, but being someone who could spend the entire day in the beach the time constraints were a little annoying, good thing there were some free beaches available. The rooms were ok, we had one with a double bed and it's own bathroom, the other with 2 singles and it's own bath room; there were no phones in the downstairs so consequently we were missing calls having to run from downstairs to upstairs to get calls; no there was not even a jack to plug one in, hopefully it was just the room we stayed that had this situation. We were told there was new Management, well new is not always better, needless to say this would not be my first choice for a return trip, but if nothing else was available I could tolerate staying there. I had previously recommended this resort to family and friends, as a matter of fact 2 cousins also stayed there and were highly disappointed. Your locale is great so think about doing some improvement and bring El Greco back to it's original status.

Room Tip: stay away fr B block if the sounds of traffic will bother u
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

If you want to be in the middle of it all with easy access to the Hip Strip, shopping and the beaches and nightclubs then this hotel is for you. We stayed in an Executive Suite, which is in block A and it was quite comfortable. Two very large bedrooms on the upper floor, each with its own bathrooms and TV. One room has a king size bed and the other has two queen size beds. The lower level has a complete kitchen, dining table, living room with outer porch overlooking the pool and the ocean. In addition to the bedrooms, there is also A/C in the living room. Wireless internet available and working.

No utensils are kept in the suite but all my requests for what I needed were met and I thank the staff of El Greco who assisted us. The television was not working properly in one on the rooms but that was quickly sorted out, for which I was really greatful for.

The complimentory breakfast is quite good, we really enjoyed it. On the whole we enjoyed our 3 day stay, including the duty free shopping on the strip. This is my second stay here, my first was in 2009 with a group of friends and I enjoyed it, that is why I came back with my family.

To the staff of El Greco, just keep doing the great job that you do!

Room Tip: If you're a family or group that don't mind sharing beds, then the executive suite is great...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to El Greco Resort? Share your experiences!