“Wonderful - Relaxing Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Introductory Bonus Credit
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rehoboth Beach, De
“Wonderful - Relaxing Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Sandals - Royal Caribbean for the second time in November. The trip was fantastic. The room was clean and beyond our expectations, the food was better than I remember, and the service was consistently outstanding. If you are looking for a romantic, relaxing destination, Sandals Royal Caribbean is worth checking out. Additionally, the off-shore island provides the opportunity to swim and snorkel at your leisure, without relying on a boat. In short, my wife and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
Cornelius, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

My husband and I went on vacation to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary. It was our first time at a Sandals Resort. I had high expectations because of the Sandals' commercials and reputation. I like Sandals, but I've stayed at better resorts. The weather was not the best because of Tomas, so I hope that is not effecting my experience at Sandals. Our bed was like sleeping on a rock. However, the staff is VERY helpful and want to please the guest. We were moved to another room and the bed was much better. The food is good, the restaurants are nice, the private island is fun, and the resort offers many water activities at no extra charge (we didn't get to enjoy it b/c of the weather).
My husband and I stayed in Negril last year for our honeymoon and the beaches in Negril are much bigger and nicer. Negril is an 1 1/2 hr from the airport, so if you want to stay close to the airport than I recommend the Sandals Royal Carribean.
I think the Jamaican people are very nice. Yes, if you are on the street they will pressure you to purchase stuff. (just like the Bahamas and the other islands I have visited). Keep in mind these are very poor areas and they need the money. They are trying to feed their families. These people will never have the luxury of staying at a resort!
I must mentioned the staff again the Sandals. They are very helpful and kind. I met several I want to mention by name: Netesha "New York", Ginger, and Zoey. Ginger assisted us with changing rooms. Netesha and I danced together at one of the resort DJ nights. Netesha was helpful with many ways on our trip. I love her!!!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

This was our first experience with an all inclusive resort. I'm not going to comment on the $ value of the experience because of discounts my girlfriend received through work.

The Room:
King size bed that was very comfortable. Room was large enough for our needs. TV wasn't a flatscreen, but we weren't in Jamaica to watch TV. Water out of the shower was warm, although the presure could have been stronger. As mentioned in previous reviews, there are tiny ants to be found so don't leave food out. Having a safe in the room is nice, but an electronic safe would be better so you don't have to worry about losing the key. My only major complaint with the room is that there was no refrigerator in the room. There was cabinets in the deluxe rooms for one, but apparently they have not received them yet.

The Staff:
Everyone was very friendly. Two that stand out were Theon and Terrence. I used to work in bars/restaurants for years and I have a keen eye and appreciation for good service. Those two were top notch. ***A little hint for people if they want to have quick and great service*** When you get served by someone for the first time, throw them a little tip in a handshake....like $2. I know Sandals doesn't condone tipping, but money makes the world go round and I highly doubt Sandals pays these fine people what they're worth. As mentioned earlier we just got a deluxe room so when we had to state our room #, it sometimes seemed like we were treated a little differently than what we would had we been in a more expensive room, but they were still very friendly. It's along the same lines as the tipping.....you want more, you have to pay more.

Food:
Really good overall. Le Jardinier was delicious. Royal Thai wasn't very authentic, but still tasty and a great atmosphere. Stew Fish at Mo-Bay was decent, but the windy weather made it a difficult dining experience. All of the non reservation places were tasty and convenient. We also did a private dinner where the food and service was great, and the ambience was very romantic.

Beach:
Too small. The beach was my biggest complaint about the resort. It's a smaller cozy resort which we liked, but the beach and swimming area were still too small for the resort. They were well maintained. Previous reviews complained about the locals on the kayaks. Yeah they paddled by, but they were no means that pushy. A simple no thanks or not acknowledging them would suffice.....most local merchants away from the resort was a different story.

Activities:
The weather sucked while we were down there. Caught the tail end of a tropical storm, so it was very windy most of the days we were there. That being said, it made the activities at the resort very limited. We're a younger active couple, so we were looking to do a lot of water activities which were hampered by the weather. When the weather wasn't co-operating there were activities such as arts n crafts other small games, but it wasn't our cup of tea. Dunn's falls was very over-rated to us. The falls were very crowded, guides were pushy and a little more concerned with hitting on young girls rather than being a guide. The merchants in this area were the worst. Night entertainment was okay. We were probably the youngest couple there, so it seemed a little cheesy for us, but the older crowd seemed to be enjoying it.

Overall we had a lot of fun despite the weather. The resort was small and cozy. Pools were great. People were awesome. Food and drinks were good. It was a very relaxing trip and we would recommend it to friends.

Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

The last day of my trip I had a 103 deg F temperature. When I returned back to the states, I found out I had Salmonella poisoning. I will try not to let this effect my opinion of the resort.

We had a good time, but were rather disappointed with this resort. We had saved a long time for our honeymoon, and went a year and a half after our wedding. We were upgraded to an oceanview honeymoon concierge suite. (not sure if that is the right name) We had originally booked the royal premium. Great greeting at airport.

The Room

1) Great view
2) mold on ceiling
3) paint touch up was done with the wrong color of yellow
4) finial missing from bed
5) corner of bed broken
6) bathroom dated
7) great balcony
8) HINT - if you want to keep the AC on while out of the room, put any card in the card slot. You have to put your room key in a slot in the room when you enter to turn on the electricity, but any card will work. I used my insurance card.

The Beach

1) Yes they are small
2) They are roped off to keep vendors out
3) We had no problem getting seats or a spot on the beach.
4) A lot of unattractive people. Sorry, just sayin.
5) Go to the private island.

The Entertainment

1) Great young steel drum band one night. they kicked butt
2) Jamaican Opera singer - sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Seriously!!!
3) House band was boring
4) Piano bar was awesome

The People

1) You feel like all of the locals are trying to shake money out of you.
2) The locals believe that all brits and americans are wealthy. They think that money is nothing to us. A worker at Sandals told me this.
3) Going to the strip in Montego Bay was a mistake. It was the most stressful two hours of my life. I had a bracelet tied to my arm while I was exiting the cab. They try to get you to buy everything. Our cab driver was in cahoots with the store owner and the vendors at the craft market. Trust no one.
4) The staff is great, until you don't agree with them.

The Food

1) Don't forget the Salmonella
2) The Thai restaurant was awesome
3) French restaurant, food was great, was moved to the regency due to the threat of bad weather. We were sat 8" from two other couples. I was closer to the person next to me than my wife. I asked to be moved, as there were 20 or so open tables, but they refused. We had made reservations and looked forward to this. Very disappointed. No one spoke during the meal. Very bad service on Sandals part. Great food. Probably got the Salmonella from the tuna at this meal.
4) All food was okay.

The overall quality of this resort is marginal. The grounds are good enough for good glossy brochure pictures, but that is about it. When I was sick, the nurse advised me to get back to the states as soon as possible. We will go to the Florida Keys next time we want tropical. The photos that they take are $8 each to get a jpg on disk or copy. If you have already booked your trip, then lower your expectations and have fun, If you have not booked, look elsewhere and consider the age of the resort.

virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

we traveled to jamaica this oct to stay at sandals royal caribbean again.as always it was wonderful.we got through immagration pretty easy and headed to the sandals lounge. within fifteen minutes we were on the bus headed for the royal. as soon as we got there i felt as if i was home. we were greeted my a host of managers and staff. after that we were treated to some rum punch and champane. had already checked in on line so just a swipe of a credit card and a signature and Aldrick took us to our room, a conciege room in the kensingston building. the room was very nice. everything was clean as a pin. big whirlpool tub, nice balcony and a mini frige.the room was perfect for us. we decided that this year we would not make dinner reservations because all year long we are on a schedule and have to be somewhere at a certain time so we wanted a break from this because we were on vacation. well this worked out just fine. we ate at the resturants that didn't require reservations and they were all wonderful! the regency, the pavalion, the beach grill, just about every day we went to the private island and spent time. (which is a wonderful place to relax!) we had lunch here several times made by our friend Alecia. these lunches were out of this world!great cook!we could also go up to montego bay sandals and dine at another of our favorite places the orleander room.all the food we ate was great we loved it all. we especially love the staff here, these people go out of their way to make sure i am having a good time.the maids , the cooks, the gardners, the pool attendants, the water sports guys, all in all i mean everybody we came in to contact with was very nice to us, they went above and beyond to make us happy.the staff here is exceptional!!! we always make new friends and see or old ones too.this resort is very beautiful, always kept clean by the great staff. we have grown to love this place and alot of the people there. it is just like going home to us. we look forward to going there and hope to continue. the service on all levels for us was wonderful.just want to mention a few special friends, ANN MARIE, JENNIFER, TROY, GEORGETT,ADIRIAN, MICHAEL, ALECIA, MR FAIRWEATHER, CAPTAIN KEVIN, OWEN, TRACEY, ERNEST, MELISSA,ALDRICK, THOMPSON, JULENNE,LILY,ANDREA,WINSTON, MINTTO,ANCICIA, KEVARR,CHRISTIAN,TRACEY ANN. i'm sure there are some i can't remember but all these people went out of their way to make this a great vacation for us and they did! we thank them very much!! so if you wanna have a great vacation book royal caribbean you won't regret it!

Nixa, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Stayed for one week and enjoyed our stay. The resort is dated and you have no beach. The private island is small but clean. Not much going on. Lunch and dinner on the private island was good and so was service. The beach bar service slow without anyone else around.

We did the snorkel tour and saw a sea snake and stingray. I went on two dives and enjoyed both. Felt very comfortable since my husband doesn't dive. We took the tour to Negril. Stopped at beaches instead of sandals and to many kids and not enough time on beach. The cliff diving was okay but only 4 divers and they only dive a few times. Did have some jerk chicken and was very good.

The staff was very friendly and food was good. Room was cleaned I'm not sure we will stay at sandals again. The staff was wonderful but the resort is small and no beach.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island for our honeymoon - October 11 - 18, 2010. We arrived to the resort and were taken to the sofa area where we were given a towel to cool off with; a drink and then we were personally escorted to our room and given a tour of the resort. (I do recommend printing a map of the resort before you leave the states) We stayed in a beachfront room in the Kensington Building. You walked out our back sliding glass door took 5 steps and you were standing on the white beaches. The most amazing sunsets and sunrises you could ever dream of. Every single person that works at this resort is a pleasure to be around. I do though want to take a few minutes to thank a handful of those who went above and beyond each and everyday that made our visit that much better. Verna (main pool) She always had a smile on her face. She made us feel at home from the first day we spoke with her!! Kedon (concierge office) He helped us book a beautiful experience at the Cinnamon Hill Golf Course. It was amazing - we had the time of our lives at the course!! One other day we had asked Kedon where we could get Carib Beer from and from that day forward he had our refrigerator in our room stocked with it!! And again he always had a smile on his face and made us feel at home. Deon (the crickerter's pub) where do we being with this one?? He is for sure one of a kind. We ate at this pub every single day just because of him. This pub would not be the same without this man. He is the best of the best. His smile, his service, his personality!! He just goes above and beyond and is straight forward with you from the minute you walk into this place!! Deon alone is a main reason that we will be coming back to this resort in the future. Genui$ and Hollywood - wow, wow, wow!!! (playmakers / entertainment) Now these two are awesome. They for sure are in the right position being with the entertainment group. They have moves like no other, can sing, killer personalities, and as well go above and beyond each and every day!! Every single night we were there they had something going on - pool / beach volleyball, balloon contests, trivia & karaoke!! As for the food - our favorites are the following - 1. The Crickerter's Pub, 2.The Royal Thai Restaurant (Sandals Cay), 3. Bamboo Shack (Sandals Cay) OMG the best lunch hands down, 4. Tokyo Joes (Montego Bay) - to be honest neither one of us had one bad thing to say about the food during the week we were there. So overall - FOOD, DRINKS, STAFF, RESORT - 100% AMAZING.

And to make it all better we made some really amazing friends while we were there; The Gamacock/Dawg Family, The Boston Family, The Twinkle Toes Family - you guys will always be apart of an amazing start in the new chapter in The Jimenez Book!!!