We booked SRC for a long weekend April 14-18. We had stayed at the resort two years ago and were very comfortable returning to for a few days of sun sand and ocean.
As Signature Guests (Sandals returning guest program) we recieved a discount on the booking and on arrival we were upgraded from a deluxe beachfront to a concierge level room in the Kensington (East) building. This level of service provides an in room bar with liquor, wine, beer and soft drinks refilled daily at no charge and 24 hr room service at no charge. We only ordered breakfast, which was delivered in 45 minutes, others ordered hamburgers at 4 AM which were hot and juicy. The concierge service was not at US or European level but did provide us with a single contact for excursions, dinner reservations and express check out. We enjoyed the Signature Guest barefoot - blacktie- beachfront cocktail party special event as we were there at the end of Reunion Week.
The Kensington block is our choice as it is quiet somewhat remote from the rest of the resort, has its own pool (never more than 10 people in it at any time) whirlpool, and beachfront. I suspect that guests in other buildings percieved this pool as belonging to just these rooms.
We enjoy the seclusion of the private island, au natural if you desire (and we do). We were never bothered by gawkers and did meet some very nice couples there.
Plentiful and there is variety. Remember that you are in Jamaica and do not expect supreme cuisine. Beef is not prime quality, instead enjoy the chicken and pork.
In the Sandals tradition, friendly greetings from everyone (even from an electrician working on a lighted pathway) and willingness to help in any way.
There are a variety of people, ages from 28 - 60. Mostly in the 40's (like us). It is easy to strike up a conversation and we always had company for meals and around the pool and beach. Of course there will be drunk oafs, and rude people, but just avoid them as you do at home.
I had been intrigued with the DineAround at the other MBJ Sandals. The"French" resturaunt at Sandals Inn was a huge disappointment (wine served in plastic glasses?) The Inn is an older converted hotel in a shady part of town.
Visited Sandals Montego Bay for 1/2 hr. and couldn't leave soon enough. Very loud raucous crowd. Resturaunt looked like a high school cafeteria, NO greeting from any staff, one resturaunt with no guests and twenty un-cleared tables at 9PM.
If you are on an AirJamaica operated plane, no problem mon.
If you are on a NorthAmerican rented aircraft, order a few drinks and watch the movie and try to ignore the very cramped seats and the odors.
Meet and greet the other guests.
Meet the staff, they are lovely people and want you to enjoy your stay. (Natives have been known to camp out for two days just to fill out an application to work at Sandals).
No tipping necessary. This is absolutely true. Excellent service without tipping. EXTRAORDINARY service with a carefully passed $5 or $10. Just do it out of sight of any other employee.
After two stays we are Sandals junkies. Cannot wait to go back, to St. Lucia or Whitehouse next trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •7 exquisite dining options, with world-class culinary cuisines.•Only Jamaican resort with a private offshore island, housing an authentic Thai restaurant.•Magnificent, swim-up crystal lagoon suites.•24 hour room service as a part of our concierge service.•English pub offering an authentic pub dining experience.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and BookIt.com so you can book your Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort Jamaica
- Sandal Royal Caribbean