“All right, but not worth it” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $150 Spa Bonus!!
Ranked #5 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Independence, Kentucky
“All right, but not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

We arrived July 28, 2005 and spent 4 nights.
The
food is OK, small resort.
Our only issue is that Weddings will shut done places to eat or the island. Our feeling is that they shut things down to other guests to support a wedding at no notice. This is not nice to the couples that plan.

• Liked — Close to airport
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple

3,331 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

We have stayed in several luxury caribbean resorts that far surpass Sandals for a lot less money. Some guests at Royal Caribbean had stayed 20+ times - I just don't get it!

We paid for the best suite but the level of accommodation was extremely disappointing. The room was dark and depressing and the tiny bathroom was in a state of disrepair, with a three foot bath complete with plastic shower curtain (despite the brochure stipulating all Butler suites have jucuzzi baths as standard!). We did not even get bath robes as standard. We had one of the nicest locations, right next to the beach.

This trip should have been 'one in a lifetime'. I arranged it as a surprise for my husband for our wedding anniversary. The main pool area was how everyone imagines a Club 18-30 resort to be (I did Club 18-30 when I was younger and it was far better!)

The resort is directly under the main flight path and you literally have to stop talking from when the plane takes off until it has turned and climed out over the sea - one day this was every 15 minutes. The locals tell you the planes stop at 10pm but this is simply not true.

The beach was tiny with lots of seaweed and beach pedlars to negociate (again, not like the brochure and roped off after 10 feet) however it was lovley and warm.

We asked to change resorts but were told all the other resorts were full. Our butler, Hughill, was excellent and nothing was too much trouble. Although with typical british reticence we we did feel guilty each time we called him. He tried so hard to make the holiday our 'dream' but it was impossible.

All the staff were very friendly and we did not experience 'Jamaican time' with the service. We weren't keen on the food but that is because we don't like fish which is the staple diet.

Sorry, but I just don't get why people choose Sandals. Their brochure is misleading and includes false statements. I can only presume returning guests have never tried other holidays prior to Sandals and therefore do not know what they are missing. I wouldn't return to a Sandals resort if it was free.

• Liked — The Butler
  • Disliked — The Aeroplane noise
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

My wife and I stayed at Sandal's Royal Caribbean for our honeymoon November 12- November 19. We absolutely loved it!!

The Royal Caribbean is a beautiful resort, and the staff was incredibly friendly. The food was great, and their were so many different places to eat. The Courtyard was by far our favorite restrant. My wife really enjoyed the Thai restraunt on the private island. We were not a big fan of Tokyo Joe's over at Montego Bay.

There were plenty of activities to keep us busy, however if you want to relax there are plenty of places to do so. My wife enjoyed a massage at the Red Line Spa, and raved that it was by far the most wonderful massage she had ever received. We went snorkeling on 2 different occasions, and loved it. We also took advantage of the Kayaks to explore the bay. We went out on the guided concierge shopping tour. The market was somewhat stressful. Everyone wanted us to look at their things. We did buy a beautiful handcrafted sting ray. It was nice to get out and see some of the island. Again, everyone was SO friendly.

The rooms were very nice, and the bar in the concierge room was a bonus. My wife enjoyed the whirlpool tub in the room and made it a point to use it daily. The room service was prompt. There was a little bit of mold on the ceiling, but it didn't bother us. We did have to call about the robes, but as soon as we did, we had them in about 10 minutes.

We also met several couples close to our age that we hung out with during the evening . Carlito's is their late night bar/club. There was never a huge crowd, but we managed to have fun with the people we met there. We didn't have a bad drink!!! Wolf and Russell were 2 of the friendliest bar tenders at the resort. The purple rain, the dirty banana, the blue lagoon and the prep up were the best drinks!! The swim up bar was great, though some of the bar tenders there didn't seem to happy about serving a bunch of drunk American's at 10:45 in the morning. We plan on going back to this resort as soon as we can because we enjoyed it so much. The all inclusive is the way to go. It was nice not have to pay our bar tabs at the end of the night. :)

Overall, and Excellent vacation!!! Can't wait to go back!!

• Liked — The free drinks and staff
  • Disliked — That we had to go home
  • Tips/Secrets — Book reservations early
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2006

We stayed at SRC from Nov. 6-11, 2006. We had an amazing time. We bookd the royal suite with a Bulter. Ellis is amazing and we are still missing him. We never wanted for anything, he knew what we wanted before we asked for anything. Kinberly in the gift shop went above and beyond her job to help me with my purchases and she is an excellent asset to SRC. The water sports guys also went above and beyond what was expected. The restrauants served excellent food. The grounds were beautiful and always being groomed.
The beach party on Friday night was Amazing, thank you toJason and his crew for making things so great! The fire-eater was so cool!
We had beautiful weather and made many new friends during our stay. The general manager should be very please to have such an amazing group of workers. They are top-notch employees who are always trying go above and beyond what they are required to do. Love is all you really need at SRC.
My husband and I will never forget our time and can not wait to go back next year.
Thank you to all at SRC for the best vacation that we have ever had!!

• Liked — Ellis the Bulter!!!
  • Disliked — No compliants!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay two weeks and book the royal suite with a Bulter!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2006

My husband and I just came home from one of the most enjoyable trips we've ever had! This was our second stay at a Sandals property and again, we were not disappointed.

We booked an Oceanfront Royal Suite at the Royal Caribbean which came complete with Butler Service from November 15 - November 22. After a brief stay in the comfortable Sandals lounge at the airport, we were shuttled over to our home away from home in a matter of 15 minutes or so. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a warm, smiling Sandals employee who sat our bags to the side and took us immediately to the Concierge area. Ellis our Butler for the week, then came and accompanied us to our room for check in and to explain the services available to us at the resort.

My husband and I are very "blue collar" individuals and were unsure how we would react to having a Butler, but Ellis felt like an old friend and did a spectacular job of making himself available to us when needed. He was extremely professional, very friendly and a true pleasure to be around. He took care of everything we needed - from dinner reservations every night to all our excursions, on and off the resort. He showed up with new drinks for us to try at poolside, ensured our room was in perfect condition at all times, and set up a special romantic evening for us on our last night in town. He walked with us to dinner every night and was the first person there to greet us in the morning. He even took it upon himself to show up with a cooler packed with Red Stripe beer, bowls of popcorn, fresh baked cookies and a cheese and cracker plate during the OSU - Michigan game! Now that's great service! Sandals would do themselves a favor by holding onto Ellis - he is a gem!

The grounds at the resort were beautiful - everyone seemed to take such pride in keeping it in immaculate condition. The second to last night we were there, a rather nasty storm hit, but by 10:00 a.m. the next day, you wouln't know it. The folks that work at the Royal Caribbean had every leaf picked up and water and sand brushed off the sidewalks. The beach was freshly manicured and everyone was working hard to ensure the guests were still having a good time. Kudos to all the staff! I didn't see an unhappy employee all week. Everyone always said hello and gave you a smile. What a lovely group of people!

I had read some unfavorable reviews about the food before leaving, but my husband and I thought otherwise. The meals at all the restauraunts were quite good and the banana bread Ellis brought us every morning with our breakfast (another wonderful perk to Butler service - breakfast every morning on our balcony) was the best I've ever tasted. I'm not sure what some people are looking for in an all-inclusive, but we enjoyed every meal.

As returning Signature guests, we also had a very nice 1 1/2 hour boat ride compliments of the staff, through the Montego Bay area on Friday evening. We rode along the coastline and took in the sights along with a brief stop to watch a beautiful Jamaican sunset. And of course there was Rum Punch and Red Stripe aboard! Everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves and the weather couldn't have been better.

I could nit-pick and list some cosmetic complaints but I don't think most of them are worth mentioning. And yes the water pressure is not the best in the shower or when flushing the toilets. But if weak water pressure is the worst complaint you have about a vacation, I'd say you've had a pretty good time.

My husband and I have been fortunate enough to visit many beautiful destinations but I must say, this trip ranks near the top. For us it was a combination of things that made it a great vacation. Wonderful service, an excellent staff, good food and a carefree attitude. I would return to Sandals Royal Caribbean in a heartbeat! Have a wonderful time with the Jamaican people and enjoy! We sure did!

• Liked — View was amazing! We were right on the beach!
  • Disliked — Water pressure needs to be improved.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the Butler Service and request Ellis. You will not be disappointed!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this resort 11/12 to 11/20. This is the third time that we stay at SRC, and we loved it. The staff's personalities alone keep us comming back. They are very genuine and want to make guests feel as though it is "no problem". Some of them even remembered us from two years ago. They are all so friendly and are more than willing to help or answer any questions that you may have about the resort, tours, or even the culture in Jamaica.
Last year we stayed at the Grande/Ocho Rios, and found the staff to be almost bothered by guests. We learned our lesson, and will continue to go back to SRC!
We only left the resort to go on a Jeep Safari tour. Seeing Montego Bay from atop the mountains, visiting an old church and school (we got to talk and visit with the preschoolers as they were out at recess), to exploring a water fall was very fun! We also got to eat oranges right off of the tree! It was nice to leave the resort for the day, but going back felt like we were returing home! There is construction going on, but it is not bad at all. We were not pestered at all by the playmakers to participate in sports/activities (at the Ocho Rios resort, you were contsantly bothered). We truly got to do what we wanted to do, which was NOTHING!! The evening entertainment, along with the food (much healthier) has been improved.
I truly believe that there is a Sandals resort that fits everyone's taste, but if you are looking for a smaller resort, with a home feel, SRC is for you. It is not a loud party resort, nor is it like a morgue, it is for the couple that wants to relax and do their own thing !

• Liked — Friendliness of Staff
  • Disliked — Needs Better nightly entertainment
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to relax, show respect for the staff, and you'll be respected!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
H.V. Pennsylvannia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

My husband & I stayed at Sandals Royal caribbean for 8 nights-9 days in November 2006. This was our second trip back to the resort and it was even better than the first. The staff was very friendly and warm, it felt like coming to our second home, even though we were only there once before. There are not enough wonderful adjectives to describe the butler service in this hotel !!! it was first class all the way !!! There was NOTHING that I wanted for, that was not taken care of immediatley, our butler, Ellis was absolutely phenomenal, he even knew what I wanted before I did. He is an admirable addition to their staff, and truley an excellent employee. The way he takes care of his guests was absolutely amazing, you can tell that he genuinely loves his work. He was always dressed immaculate, like he just stepped out of the shower. We have never had such a marvelous, relaxing vacation, and we owe most of that to ELLIS. He is SUPERB !!!! We travel often and have NEVER encountered an resort like this, or a butler like him. Sandals has really outdone themselves in this incredible resort. If there was a hotel to recomend to someone it would be this one. It was one of the most amazing weeks of our lives and we definatly plan on returning very soon.

Stayed November 2006

Been to Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort? Share your experiences!