“Our Wedding and Royal treatment at Sandals Royal Caribbean” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Early Booking Bonus!
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Maine
“Our Wedding and Royal treatment at Sandals Royal Caribbean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Resort
We were at Sandals Royal Caribbean, March 5th-13th 2009. The Royal is a smaller, older quieter resort, which we love. This was our 3rd stay and it will not be our last. Maintenance workers can be seen all around the resort, sprucing up, mowing, raking, planting and painting. As you can imagine, keeping a resort in good shape is an ongoing project. At this time, no major construction was going on.

Our room
We were blessed with a fantastic upgrade to a River Suite. All I can say is WOW!! This new block of rooms was being built when we were there last Feb. but we never thought we would be staying in one. Thanks to Leighton Josephs and Jason Halloway, and the other Powers that be, our WeddingMoon week was spent in pure luxury.
I have never stayed at a resort that the bed was as comfortable as this one. They spared no expense on the bedding; duvet, sheets, and pillows. The bathroom was a tub users dream. The whirlpool tub was perfect as was the double head stand alone shower. Having two sinks is also a plus as was having a separate room for the toilet. The room also has a mini-fridge and stocked bar, glasses, cork screw and ice bucket. They have thought of everything. There is also a small coffee pot and coffee if you want to make your own and not call room service. Another great feature is a desk and chair, couch, coffee table and a small table with 2 chairs. Walk out the glass sliding doors and you are on a huge balcony! They thought of everything! The balcony has a very comfortable big couch and 2 ottomans, as well as a large table and 2 chairs. All of this over looking one of the Lazy Rivers and if you look through the trees, you see the ocean. The second floor rooms in this block have a staircase down to the lazy river, or if you don’t want to walk in the water, there is a stairway in the back. They also thought this block out well by having an elevator for those that don’t want to walk the stairs, or for workers caring suitcases and supplies to the second and third floors. When on vacation, we don’t usually spend a lot of time in our room, but I think we spent more time in this one. From having coffee on the balcony in the morning and then cocktails after a day in the sun to relaxing and reading a book when we needed a break from the sun and of course, the time spent getting ready for our wedding. Don’t forget, you can call room service and have a pre-dinner snack delivered.

Spa
This is the first year I have used the spa. I had a manicure/pedicure for the wedding and was impressed. I had this done the day before the wedding which was a mistake on my part, I screwed up the polish on a couple of nails! I stopped in the spa the next morning to see if they could fit me in to get them redone…they could and didn’t charge me a thing! Now that is service. It is okay to leave a gratuity for spa services and can even have it added to your room bill.

Wedding
The wedding was perfect. As soon as we got to our room, we had a folder with our names on it and our wedding time. Inside there was a print out of when our appointment was with our wedding planner and as many updates as you could imagine. We had decided to go with the basic free ceremony, flowers and cake. Our first day there we met with our planner. She had the 3 different types of cake for us to try, chocolate, vanilla and fruit cake …we picked the chocolate since we are choc-o-holics. We also had a glass of champagne while going over the details. Sandals does charge $15.00 for each person attending the reception, even though they are already paying guests of the resort. Sandals Royal’s minister is Reverend Brown, he is amazing!! We were told he is the only one they use and he is also the only one that does premarital counseling. He really hit the nail on the head with his advice, to the point we all thought he must have cameras in our houses!! He mixes just the right amount of seriousness with the comical.
The day of the wedding, the groom leaves the room first and waits in the planner’s office while the bride finishes up getting ready. About 15 minutes before the ceremony, she will come and get the bride and escort her to the pre-determined wedding destination. We choice the wedding gazebo out on the pier and are glad we did. It was windy, but the perfect setting for the ceremony. We were blessed in having the Two sisters join us as my Matron's of Honor, as well as Jason Halloway as Brian's Bestman. Oakly Cunningham(Night Manager) was able to join us for our reception. Oakly is an asset to the Royal as well as a great friend. Thank you again Oakly for helping make our special day more special, and for the lovely floral arraignment you sent us.

The Reception
After the, “I Do’s” you head over to where you have decided you want your reception. A table is set up just for the signing of the marriage certificate. Pictures are taken while all sign on the dotted line. Then you move over to the tables that are set up for the reception itself. Here you will cut the cake, drink your first Champagne as man and wife, your first dance, and speeches if anyone wants to make any. Hors d'oeuvres and champagne are served, more pictures taken…and then you are official.  It probably takes a little over an hour. I highly recommend anyone thinking of a destination wedding to choose the Royal. They take all the worry and stress out of what should be a stress free day. All you have to do is show up and enjoy!

I am not going to discuss food in any detail that is such a personal preference. I will say we did not ever go hungry, and the alcohol is plentiful. The Returning Guest dinner was, as always, superb. I even got my silver sandals …well, they ran out of them, so they are sending them to me. I do think they could use more wait staff at the Regency, some mornings we were almost done with breakfast before we got coffee or water. I would also like to see a few more bar staff hired, there just doesn’t seem to be enough to wait on people in a timely manner a good part of the time.

A reminder to guests, remember your voices carry! The three rooms below us were occupied by a set of parents, and their two married adult children with spouses. These 6 people were so obnoxious, talking way too loud and about subjects that other people do not care to hear. Do not stand down in the pool and carry on conversations with the people that are on the third floor. It is disruptive to all the other guests. We would have made a complaint if we were not leaving the next day, and I am sure management would have had a quiet conversation with the offending group. So, just a reminder about how loud you are talking and do a check on if it is appropriate language and topics.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (947)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

From the moment we arrived the staff was very warm, always a friendly hello. Anthony's (Entertainment staff) laugh is infectious, basket weaving and cooking classes were excellent.
Loved our room with the double sinks. Great location with a semi private pool- Building 9. Dated bedspread should be ditched until White duvets are available.
We enjoyed the Offshore Island's clothing optional beach. Cabana experience was heavenly, worth the extra cost.
SSG cruise of Montego Bay was lovely, we were fortunate to have seen 10 dolphins frolicking in the Caribbean sea.
Entertainment could be better...too much Reggae, guest would leave before the show was over. Take the Shuttle and checkout Sandals Montego Bay another great resort.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

We returned from Montego Bay, Jamiaca on Friday April 12. We were there for 8 full days. I titled this as "An Unexpected Surprise" becuase we didn't originally book to stay at he Royal. We book and stayed at the Inn, and for the first two nights we did but spent the day at the Royal both of the days so we decided to see how much extra it would be to "upgrade" and stay at the Royal. Turns out it was EXTREMELY reasonable to do so, so we did, and it was the best thing we did! Sandals Inn was beautiful, clean, well kept, the employees were WONDERFUL, but I love the sand and beach, and my other half loves the pool and pool bars but the Inn didn't have those. To be honest, I/we didn't even look into the Royal when we were booking the vacation. It was either Montego Bay or the Inn and we chose the Inn becuase MoBay was way too close to the airport.

Anyways moving on...if you are booking or have booked to go to SRC definitely make your reservations for dinner ahead of time, or right when you get there. We didn't....and it was the biggest mistake that we made. We were able to "sweet talk" the managers at Tokyo Joes and The Royal Tai but were unable to get in anywhere else becuase we did not make reservations. I had a very hard time finding anything that I like, I guess I would say I am picky! But after all else failed at the other restaurants we would go to the Cricketers pub and have mozz sticks, potato skins, and jalapeno poppers...so we did manage to get filled up every night! Oh and the breakfast buffet has the best french toast I've ever had...I am missing it!

We stayed in room 95. It was nice, the bathroom could use a facelift but overall it was okay for the time we spent in it. The bed wasn't the greatest but that could be due to the fact that we are used to sleeping on a tempur pedic bed. Ladies, I have long hair (to the middle of my back) and using the hairdryer there to dry it took at leat 15 minutes...so do bring your own! Also, watch out if you're showering around 5-5:30, hot water is sparce. LoL it would get lukewarm but not quite hot enough to take a comfortable shower.

The staff was excellent! Especially Owen, Julienne, and Ernest, our favorite bartender with all of his tricks and jokes...make sure you visit him in Cricketers! Anything you needed they did their best to make you happy.

The beach and pool are excellent. I laugh now becuase I didn't know that there was more than one pool on the resort...see how far we made it off of the beach and main pool area?! Swim up bar is the BEST! Be sure to try the Jamaican Smile and Miami Vice! Also bring LOTS of sunscreen. We ran out and bought some from the gift shop and without paying attention we spent $24 on a bottle of sunscreen...CRAZY so either bring enough or venture downtown to get some.

Definitely go check out the spa. We had a couples massage and it was great. Also do book an excursion or two. We chose the Island Vibe Cruise/Booze Cruise and had a blast. We also took a private taxi for the day ($160) to Negril. It is so beautiful and worth it. Rick's Cafe over there was a blast, we did some cliff jumping there. They are on the expensive side for food and drinks, but they do include gratuity and a service tax when you cash out so no need to tip!

Also the shuttles between all three resorts run on every hour. It's kind of a pain around lunch and dinner times becuase they do take at least an hour break. So plan accordingly. We would leave SRC at 7:00 to go to MoBay and werent able to go back until 8:45. It's not that bad becuase there was always entertainment at MoBay but it a little annoying at times. TIP: if you are planning on going shopping or to the hipstrip take the shuttle to the Inn and walk from there...save yourself $12. It's only about a 1/2 mile walk. I am a "candy a$$" my other half would say becuase I got scared by all of the people hassling you to come into their stores and craft market and buy drugs...but once you get past the first block of stores we had no problem. Just let them know you are "Irie" which is alright, good, fine, no problem. They like when you use their language/words.

I think I hit all of the biggies, food, entertainment, lodging, etc. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

My husband and I needed a vacation! We had stayed at another "Sandals" property and had such a wonderful time, we decided to try another. "The Royal Caribbean" is a colorful tapestry of diverse peoples, cuisine,vegetation, breath taking blue-green waters and a staff none can match!
Each restaurant has its own ambiance.Make your reservations when you arrive, that way you will have more choices. Each and "EVERY" member of the Sandals team are there to make your every wish come true. Nothing is too big to ask for. I'm sure that I will forget some of the names of the staff who went above and beyond, but here goes: Iain M. the general manager, Rick, the hotel manager, Leighton,from guest relations, David K., the loyalty manager,(who already booked us for the fall), absolutely "outstanding" along with Jason, Sonia from the Czech-Repubic, who engages all she meets in fascinating conversation, Natasha, Nicky-Ann, Diana, Lily, who took such good care of our room ,Andrea, the resort sales manager., and the two Russian interns were just fantastic. This is a resort for anyone who appreciates good people, great food, and a friendly atmosphere.By the way, the kitchen staff along with chef kirk made eggplant for my husband daily along with having his soy milk ready at breakfast. A special note: the peacocks are a wonderful addition! ps. Suzie, from the giftshop, you smiled every second of every day.

St.Lucia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

Now i have been to Sandals, Beaches, Royal Plantation and Grand Pineapple and honestly it was wonderful, i have never experience vacation like this, those properties took me to a whole new level of vacationing. in life there are two type of person the trend setters and the followers, please don't listen or read who other person place on this site and judge the resorts for what other person say experience things for your self and trust me you won not regret it, believe me . had i listen to the review that i read and heard about the resorts, i would never know how wonderful it is to try something new. a gem amongst other resorts in the caribbean.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
LittleMissClean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

A lovely resort ! We received the greatest service from the friendliest people. Our room was beautiful with a very comfortable four poster bed. I am a bit of a bedding snob and slept well here, 16 hours the first night. Our room had a small balcony with a gorgeous ocean view. We were on our honeymoon and when we arrived our bed was covered in rose petals, a bottle of champagne and an invitation to meet other honeymooners.
We had considered staying at the Montego Bay resort, but made the right choice based on its location to airport. You will hear the planes, but not as loud as they are at the Montego Bay Sandals. The beaches were clean and the water was crystal clear. Don't forget to bring sunscreen (it's really expensive at the gift shop)
The restaurants were all very good. Make your reservations for the restaurants as soon as you get there if not before. You can call a few days ahead of time. For lunch, the Beach Bar has a great friendly staff with delicious Jerk Chicken Wraps. Nearly every night we ended up at The Cricketer. They serve great pub food. The Bangers and Mash was our favorite. Beware of the rum drinks they are very strong, pace yourself the first day. They only serve Red Stripe so if you are a beer drinker then just prepare yourself for Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light your entire visit.

Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

My room was beautiful and the staff was so attentive! I had a beachfront Royal Suite and the view was very nice. I spent most of my time out on the balcony admiring the gardens, ocean and animal life. The only thing that drove me crazy were some of the locals. I had not had a vacation for a long time, and I had also never been to a tropical area before. All I wanted to do was sleep in, and I never got to. These annoying guys out on the water were raising 10 kinds of hell trying to sell things to the patrons past the buoy line. I'm not exactly sure if the resort can really legally do anything about them, but it is what it is. The location and some of the locals at times are a little bit of a pain, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Oh, and the food was way above my expectations, and the drinks were bottomless! The swim up bar was pretty fantastic and fun!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple