“Another Week in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
World Travel Award!
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
“Another Week in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have done seven Sandals resorts and for overall quality of vacation this one rates right up there with Emerald Bay, the Grande Saint Lucian, and Antigua. The service was excellent (our butlers Sherry-Ann and Hector), the food was better than we have experienced at any other Sandals, the entire staff was very friendly and always had a smile, and we loved the private island. Instead of staying right on the beach as we usually do we decided to try the swim-up suite with the semi-private pool and we are glad we did. Anytime day or night a dip in the pool was only a few feet away from our patio. We also loved the more intimate feeling of this smaller Sandals as opposed to some of the others, Our vacation couldn't have been better and we will probably return to the Royal again next year.

Room Tip: I would not suggest a room facing the hotel entrance.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
Richlands Nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from SRC last night. We have been to 2 other Sandals Resorts and this far exceeds the others. First of all the service is top notch. Everyone is happy and full of smiles. I noticed may of the employees were at the resort working until well into the night and we would see their beutiful smiles greeting us at breakfast first thing in the morning. Our Butler ORLANDO was the best. He created a wonderful romantic enviornment for us. From chilled bottles of wine and cheese to flower laced bubble baths and many other daily treats to come back to each evening and morning. Food is good. The best food is out on the private island the jerk chicken for lunch was amazing. If you get a chance try the Italian food at the MoBay sandals it is just a five minute ride and worth the trip over. If you want to get away from the main party pool go to the private island. Your Sandals experience can be what ever you want it to be. The entertainment staff was the best by far of any of the Sandals we visted. If you love Sandals as much as we do make sure you visit the come back soon desk. We booked already for next year and save $1000 and are staying 8 days instead of 5. What ever you choose to do just remember one thing RELAX it is the only thing you need to do:)

Room Tip: We had a swim up room but booked the newer area way down on the beach for next time. It looks to b...
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I got married at this resort on April 25th. It was our second time at a Sandal's property. We decided to get married here because of amazing experience we had last time. The property itself is gorgeous! The people who work there are the friendliest and most caring people I have ever met. They all say hello and ask your name, then actually remember it when they see you again. The beach is very clean and private, so no vendors walking around trying to sell you stuff. There are tons of choices for food, all of it is amazing. Everything we ate was 'the best thing I've ever had!'

For people thinking of a destination wedding, I absolutely recommend Sandals. They make it so effortless and stress free. Before we left, we had a few calls with a wedding coordinator. She ran us through all the extras and how we visioned our wedding day. We chose the free package. I really don't see needing anything more than that. You can add things here and there but the only extra we bought was another table so all of our guests could sit at the cocktail and hor dourve reception (the free package includes one that seats 8). The pastor was great and super sweet. I loved that he was serious, but also made it fun without being weird or inappropriate. We met with Renee, our on site wedding coordinator, and got to finalize location, food, and ceremony details. She was not pushy at all about getting any extras. The meeting ended with champagne and cake tasting. I got my hair and make up done at the salon. The girl's did an amazing job. It was kind of pricey (they do add on a 13% service fee--like a tax), but I did not want to have to do all that myself on my wedding day. My maid of honnor's husband is a photographer so he did our wedding pictures. I wasn't a fan of the on site photography. The style they take pictures in seems dated-just a personal opinion. We had our own music we put on a cd and they played in a big speak/amp looking thing. It worked well, but it was windy that day, so it was kind of hard to hear for our dances. After the free reception, the wedding party took pictures while the other guests hung out at the bar or went swimming. Then we met up for a dinner at one of the restaurants there. This worked ouy perfect. We didn't have to pay anything extra, we all got to sit together at a long table, and they decorated it with flowers. It was such a perfect day and we literally had to just show up. We did our rehearsal dinner like this too. Just making a reservation for everyone in the group at a restaurant.

More on the resort--you can go to the 2 other Sandals resorts in Montego Bay on their free shuttle that leaves once an hour. Tons of stuff to do. We went snorkeling, tubing, kayaking, swimming, hug out at the pool bars. They do have a nude side on the private island if you are feeling adventurous, or have enough cocktails to feel adventurous. There is food all day and night. Never had anything I didn't like. Tons of variety. The drinks are also really good. The bar tenders know what they are doing and make them taste good. They are strong, but don't taste like straight booze. All the rooms have a coffee pot and mini fridge that has pop, juice and water stocked daily. Beds are HUGE and really comfortable. I think the peacocks were in their mating season because they got pretty loud in the mornings. They were so fun to watch with their tails up and doing their dance for the ladies. You do hear airplanes, but its not a bother. They are not going off all day, not at all at night. The noise only lasts for a couple seconds. You are 15 minutes from the airport so its hard to avoid. The airport has a Sandals lounge where you can get a beer and snacks while you wait for the shuttle. People will take your bags to the shuttle that don't work for Sandals, and they expect a tip. We just kept a few dollars in our pocket so we wouldn't have to take out our wallets. Staff on the resort NEVER ask for tips or favors.

LOVE Sandals. Hated leaving. Had the wedding of my dreams and then we switched to the Sandals in Negril for our honeymoon so we wouldn't be with family. They provided a transfer for this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. It seems you had such a beautiful wedding and amazing stay with us. We're so happy to read that you enjoyed the fun included water sports and amenities while on property as well.

We hope to welcome you back next year for an incredible anniversary trip!

Cassie C.
Gypsum, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have been to Sandals Grande St. Lucia, Antigua and Whitehouse. The Grande in St. Lucia is still my favorite, but Royal Caribbean comes in at a close 2nd! There are so many things to say and a lot of the recent great reviews cover them all, so I will try not to be too wordy...although I will probably be anyway since I am in the hotel industry myself. :) Customer service here is unbelievable. I haven't seen service like this since I was in St. Lucia (very comparable). Everyone goes out of their way for you with a smile.

Pools/Beaches: The main pool is smaller than some of the larger hotels in the Sandals chain, but it is a perfect size for this hotel. The beach is beautiful and the water is clear. I preferred the beach and pool on the mainland side, but the pool and beach on the island are good too. Just my preference...my husband preferred the island. I just didn't like the wood deck around the pool on the island because it gets too hot.

Food:
Dinner...My favorite was Royal Thai and we ate there twice thanks to our fabulous server Georgia! Thai food is one of my favorites and when we arrived on Friday we couldn't get in until the following Wednesday night. I told our server Georgia about this and she spoke to her manager to get us in again on our last night. This was greatly appreciated and great above and beyond service! She was super sweet and will be remembered!
My husband's favorite was the French restaurant, so we ate there twice. He is a steak guy and he said it was the best steak he has ever had! We met the chef so my husband could thank him personally, but unfortunately I can't remember his name now. I had the shrimp dish and the chicken and both were great!
Tokyo Joe's at Montego Bay was really good as well. My favorite part of the meal was the sushi appetizer and I could have eaten more of that for my meal. I'm a lighter eater, so this meal was very filling and heavy for me (mostly because I put too much on my plate for them to cook), but my husband loved it.
Lunch...The island buffett was my favorite, the jerk burger at Mariner's was great, and the jerk chicken pizza is wonderful. The fish burger at Mariner's however was gross...I thought it would be a fish fillet sandwich, but it was minced fish meat in a burger shape.
Breakfast...We mostly ate at Cricketers for breakfast, but had the buffet a couple days which was good too.

Room: We have always gone the cheaper route since we don't spend much time in our room and we usually get an upgrade. We were in the Royal Grande Luxe with Semi-Private Pool View in the Caenarvon building on the 2nd floor. This was a 2 category upgrade from what we booked (which we do appreciate). I can't complain because the room was fine, but I personally will book no less than the Royal Grande Luxe Beachfront Room or Concierge in the future. I just didn't like the view of the hotel entrance and having to walk through the entrance to get to our room. Also, the entrance to our room and bathroom window were facing some maintenance areas of the resort and it got loud in the morning and there was a trash smell sometimes when walking to our room. The first floor of this building would be better because you have a walk out to the pool and are lower than the trees so you are not looking directly at the porte cochere.

Fitness Center: Best hotel gym I have EVER USED!! I went to the gym 5 of the 7 days we were there and was so happy. It was huge and they have everything you need!!!

Special shout out to Karim our paparazzi, Albert at the pool bar, Chico and Richie Rich!! Thanks to everyone at SRC for a great trip, bravo on your service and keep it up!!! We are going to Sandals Grande Riviera next year, but we will definitely be back to this resort!!

Room Tip: Book a Royal Grande Beachfront Room or higher category.
Wheeling, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Sandals Royal Caribbean has changed the way I think about Jamaica. I was in Jamaica in 2011 and spent a week a The Grand Palladium and it was awful - from the service to the food. I swore I would never return to Jamaica. My daughter was married in Jamaica this week at Sandals Royal Caribbean. I can say that everyone I met made my stay delightful. Everyone had a smile on their face - no one was too busy to talk to me - If I did not think something was just perfect - they would try their best to accommodate us. From Stephen and Diesel on our snorkeling adventure to Jagan at the swim up bar - to Terrance at the restaurant, everyone wanted to make sure we had a good time! Our room was in the Clarence building. It was clean with a beautiful view. We had a front entrance and we were able to go out the side door straight down to the private pool. I will say the room was a bit too warm for me at night.

• Stayed May 2013
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I am staying at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay. My room is amazing! They gave me a conceirge room which I highly reccommend or going one step up to a butler suite. I have a pool, an extremely large balcony that I could have a great gathering if I chose to. Stocked bar, jacuzzi tub, beautiful furnishings. Food has been very tasty!. Great thing about Sandals is the staff is amazing on service. I have free wifi in my room that I can run 3 devices off of! Room service, which I love to use, and they are fast and friendly . Went diving ,which is complementary if you are certified diver. The boat is large and roomy for all the tanks and people. Again they really took great care of making sure everything was done right. Fun pool games and nightly entertainment.
This resort has a really cool private island . You can rent a cabana for the day or have a romantic dinner . Fire pits at night are so romantic to sit around a cuddle with the one you love.

Room Tip: Conceirge level or butler suite you will be so spoiled you won't want to do anything less ever a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have been to Sandals Royal Caribbean 5 times. We are returning again in August. We love this resort. Have never had any theft problems. Everybody is so friendly. Like family. We very much missed Theon in the pub. Loved seeing Kevin "big bird", Miss Verna, Nicole, Valecia "my girl", Ian and everybody else that makes it special. Can't wait to see everyone again in August!! Got our Silver Sandals in April. Ya Mon!!!

• Stayed April 2013