“Wedding in Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Wedding in Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I got married at this resort on April 25th. It was our second time at a Sandal's property. We decided to get married here because of amazing experience we had last time. The property itself is gorgeous! The people who work there are the friendliest and most caring people I have ever met. They all say hello and ask your name, then actually remember it when they see you again. The beach is very clean and private, so no vendors walking around trying to sell you stuff. There are tons of choices for food, all of it is amazing. Everything we ate was 'the best thing I've ever had!'

For people thinking of a destination wedding, I absolutely recommend Sandals. They make it so effortless and stress free. Before we left, we had a few calls with a wedding coordinator. She ran us through all the extras and how we visioned our wedding day. We chose the free package. I really don't see needing anything more than that. You can add things here and there but the only extra we bought was another table so all of our guests could sit at the cocktail and hor dourve reception (the free package includes one that seats 8). The pastor was great and super sweet. I loved that he was serious, but also made it fun without being weird or inappropriate. We met with Renee, our on site wedding coordinator, and got to finalize location, food, and ceremony details. She was not pushy at all about getting any extras. The meeting ended with champagne and cake tasting. I got my hair and make up done at the salon. The girl's did an amazing job. It was kind of pricey (they do add on a 13% service fee--like a tax), but I did not want to have to do all that myself on my wedding day. My maid of honnor's husband is a photographer so he did our wedding pictures. I wasn't a fan of the on site photography. The style they take pictures in seems dated-just a personal opinion. We had our own music we put on a cd and they played in a big speak/amp looking thing. It worked well, but it was windy that day, so it was kind of hard to hear for our dances. After the free reception, the wedding party took pictures while the other guests hung out at the bar or went swimming. Then we met up for a dinner at one of the restaurants there. This worked ouy perfect. We didn't have to pay anything extra, we all got to sit together at a long table, and they decorated it with flowers. It was such a perfect day and we literally had to just show up. We did our rehearsal dinner like this too. Just making a reservation for everyone in the group at a restaurant.

More on the resort--you can go to the 2 other Sandals resorts in Montego Bay on their free shuttle that leaves once an hour. Tons of stuff to do. We went snorkeling, tubing, kayaking, swimming, hug out at the pool bars. They do have a nude side on the private island if you are feeling adventurous, or have enough cocktails to feel adventurous. There is food all day and night. Never had anything I didn't like. Tons of variety. The drinks are also really good. The bar tenders know what they are doing and make them taste good. They are strong, but don't taste like straight booze. All the rooms have a coffee pot and mini fridge that has pop, juice and water stocked daily. Beds are HUGE and really comfortable. I think the peacocks were in their mating season because they got pretty loud in the mornings. They were so fun to watch with their tails up and doing their dance for the ladies. You do hear airplanes, but its not a bother. They are not going off all day, not at all at night. The noise only lasts for a couple seconds. You are 15 minutes from the airport so its hard to avoid. The airport has a Sandals lounge where you can get a beer and snacks while you wait for the shuttle. People will take your bags to the shuttle that don't work for Sandals, and they expect a tip. We just kept a few dollars in our pocket so we wouldn't have to take out our wallets. Staff on the resort NEVER ask for tips or favors.

LOVE Sandals. Hated leaving. Had the wedding of my dreams and then we switched to the Sandals in Negril for our honeymoon so we wouldn't be with family. They provided a transfer for this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. It seems you had such a beautiful wedding and amazing stay with us. We're so happy to read that you enjoyed the fun included water sports and amenities while on property as well.

We hope to welcome you back next year for an incredible anniversary trip!

Cassie C.

3,343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
Gypsum, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I have been to Sandals Grande St. Lucia, Antigua and Whitehouse. The Grande in St. Lucia is still my favorite, but Royal Caribbean comes in at a close 2nd! There are so many things to say and a lot of the recent great reviews cover them all, so I will try not to be too wordy...although I will probably be anyway since I am in the hotel industry myself. :) Customer service here is unbelievable. I haven't seen service like this since I was in St. Lucia (very comparable). Everyone goes out of their way for you with a smile.

Pools/Beaches: The main pool is smaller than some of the larger hotels in the Sandals chain, but it is a perfect size for this hotel. The beach is beautiful and the water is clear. I preferred the beach and pool on the mainland side, but the pool and beach on the island are good too. Just my preference...my husband preferred the island. I just didn't like the wood deck around the pool on the island because it gets too hot.

Food:
Dinner...My favorite was Royal Thai and we ate there twice thanks to our fabulous server Georgia! Thai food is one of my favorites and when we arrived on Friday we couldn't get in until the following Wednesday night. I told our server Georgia about this and she spoke to her manager to get us in again on our last night. This was greatly appreciated and great above and beyond service! She was super sweet and will be remembered!
My husband's favorite was the French restaurant, so we ate there twice. He is a steak guy and he said it was the best steak he has ever had! We met the chef so my husband could thank him personally, but unfortunately I can't remember his name now. I had the shrimp dish and the chicken and both were great!
Tokyo Joe's at Montego Bay was really good as well. My favorite part of the meal was the sushi appetizer and I could have eaten more of that for my meal. I'm a lighter eater, so this meal was very filling and heavy for me (mostly because I put too much on my plate for them to cook), but my husband loved it.
Lunch...The island buffett was my favorite, the jerk burger at Mariner's was great, and the jerk chicken pizza is wonderful. The fish burger at Mariner's however was gross...I thought it would be a fish fillet sandwich, but it was minced fish meat in a burger shape.
Breakfast...We mostly ate at Cricketers for breakfast, but had the buffet a couple days which was good too.

Room: We have always gone the cheaper route since we don't spend much time in our room and we usually get an upgrade. We were in the Royal Grande Luxe with Semi-Private Pool View in the Caenarvon building on the 2nd floor. This was a 2 category upgrade from what we booked (which we do appreciate). I can't complain because the room was fine, but I personally will book no less than the Royal Grande Luxe Beachfront Room or Concierge in the future. I just didn't like the view of the hotel entrance and having to walk through the entrance to get to our room. Also, the entrance to our room and bathroom window were facing some maintenance areas of the resort and it got loud in the morning and there was a trash smell sometimes when walking to our room. The first floor of this building would be better because you have a walk out to the pool and are lower than the trees so you are not looking directly at the porte cochere.

Fitness Center: Best hotel gym I have EVER USED!! I went to the gym 5 of the 7 days we were there and was so happy. It was huge and they have everything you need!!!

Special shout out to Karim our paparazzi, Albert at the pool bar, Chico and Richie Rich!! Thanks to everyone at SRC for a great trip, bravo on your service and keep it up!!! We are going to Sandals Grande Riviera next year, but we will definitely be back to this resort!!

Room Tip: Book a Royal Grande Beachfront Room or higher category.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wheeling, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Sandals Royal Caribbean has changed the way I think about Jamaica. I was in Jamaica in 2011 and spent a week a The Grand Palladium and it was awful - from the service to the food. I swore I would never return to Jamaica. My daughter was married in Jamaica this week at Sandals Royal Caribbean. I can say that everyone I met made my stay delightful. Everyone had a smile on their face - no one was too busy to talk to me - If I did not think something was just perfect - they would try their best to accommodate us. From Stephen and Diesel on our snorkeling adventure to Jagan at the swim up bar - to Terrance at the restaurant, everyone wanted to make sure we had a good time! Our room was in the Clarence building. It was clean with a beautiful view. We had a front entrance and we were able to go out the side door straight down to the private pool. I will say the room was a bit too warm for me at night.

• Stayed May 2013
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I am staying at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay. My room is amazing! They gave me a conceirge room which I highly reccommend or going one step up to a butler suite. I have a pool, an extremely large balcony that I could have a great gathering if I chose to. Stocked bar, jacuzzi tub, beautiful furnishings. Food has been very tasty!. Great thing about Sandals is the staff is amazing on service. I have free wifi in my room that I can run 3 devices off of! Room service, which I love to use, and they are fast and friendly . Went diving ,which is complementary if you are certified diver. The boat is large and roomy for all the tanks and people. Again they really took great care of making sure everything was done right. Fun pool games and nightly entertainment.
This resort has a really cool private island . You can rent a cabana for the day or have a romantic dinner . Fire pits at night are so romantic to sit around a cuddle with the one you love.

Room Tip: Conceirge level or butler suite you will be so spoiled you won't want to do anything less ever a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have been to Sandals Royal Caribbean 5 times. We are returning again in August. We love this resort. Have never had any theft problems. Everybody is so friendly. Like family. We very much missed Theon in the pub. Loved seeing Kevin "big bird", Miss Verna, Nicole, Valecia "my girl", Ian and everybody else that makes it special. Can't wait to see everyone again in August!! Got our Silver Sandals in April. Ya Mon!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Mocksville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Just returned from a 6 night stay at this resort. Needless to say we wouldn't change a thing. It was everyhting expected and more. Plenty of opportunity for peaceful relaxation or if partying is your thing plenty of that too. Excellent service from all employees especially Adrian at the beach bar, he will see that you are taken care of. Also, Cleavland, he will go out of his way to accommodate you. Definetly reccommend this resort you won't be disappointed. Can't wait to get back!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra for a beachfront with concierge service.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

As new teachers, we don't have a ton of disposable income, so when we chose to go to a Sandals and really stretch our personal budget, we were expecting to be blown away. Bottom line, this was the best thing we spent our money on and are doing everything we can to save up to go again.

Room: We had a first floor pool walk out with ocean view in the Kensington Building. It was a short walk to the main pool and buildings, and the semi-private hidden pool had beverages stocked there all day so it was a great to relax there when you wanted a day to yourselves. Our room also had room service with food coming mainly from the grill. The food was always hot and great to it. I highly recommend the daily breakfast basket, as it always hit the spot and was a great way to spend the day.

Food: Honestly, I could not tell you one bad thing about the food. I bet there are people that have "higher" tastes out there, but if you are on a great vacation, and around amazing people, isn't that more than enough? That being said the food was great. The Cricket in my opinion had the best food morning to night. It was very classy "pub" food. Plus, for us as a couple, the atmosphere in there is more our style with the noise, and bar jokes, and everything in between. That was our go to place when we had a chance. We had a great steak at the French restaurant, and wanted to go back, but didn't have enough days in the week. Also, DO NOT miss going to Tokyo Joes and the Italian restaurant at SMB, it’s a quick ride and such an amazing meal. During the day, the beach bar was amazing and the new pizza shack that just opened was great as well. Overall, if you find people complaining about the food, they probably weren't going to have a good time no matter what.

Pool/ Beach: The beach had a reef about 1/4 mile out from it, so the beach does not get the waves like you would see in Florida, but the water is nice and calm, water, and full of fish life. This makes the sand a little rougher I guess, but it still is amazing. There are even some trees out there to find some shade, don't miss it! The pool with the swim up bar is the place to be during the day no question. The drinks are great (Dirty Banana, trust me on this) the beer is cold, the water is warm, and the music and games just add to it. Are you a shy person? Well don't be, we met some great people on this trip in the pool and even stay in touch with them.

Entertainment/ Activities: I can not stress this enough, get out of your comfort zone and do EVERYTHING. I mean this is a vacation, with strangers, who are also looking to relax and have fun, so again, DO EVERYTHING!!! The nightly shows were good to great 6 of the 7 nights, only one night were we kind of bored. One night, I think it was the white party night; they had an amazing steel drum band. We were also lucky enough to win a dance competition one night and got VIP lounge tickets to the airport, a VERY nice perk by the way. Snorkeling was tough, so if you are not a strong swimmer, I would not recommend it as it they let the current move you, and some people had a tough time. I however then took the scuba classes, and that was so great I truly don’t have the words to describe it. I have never done anything like it before, and only hope I can again someday. Lastly, we took a tour of the grounds with the head grounds keeper. First off, this place looks amazing from the moment you walk, and we took advantage of meeting him. I feel awful that his name escapes me while I am writing this, but he was such a gentle man, and beyond knowledgeable. Every grass, plant, flower and fruit he knew inside and out. He half climbed a tree so we could try an apple, cut into a rubber tree so we could see it. We were so glad we did that tour, it gave us an even deeper appreciation of the amazing place we were. I would be hard pressed not to mention the AMAZING Playmakers in this section. Theo, Hollywood, Bigbird and on and on and on. Every single one of them gets to know you personally, so much so, that they remembered two of our friends clearly that had been six months earlier. Truly amazing. Also, take advantage of the daily "news paper", that is how and why we did half the things we did.

In closing, this place was great. Truly great. I don't know if we will ever be able to make it back with starting a family and being teachers, and if we don't that’s ok, because this vacation was more then we could have ever asked for.

PS- The airplane noise is NOTHING, people complaining about that on here, well, probably wouldn't be people we would want to hang out with anyway.

Room Tip: Any room with room service, it was just such a nice perk. Rooms you can walk out the beach or pool a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort? Share your experiences!