“Fantastic family vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coyaba Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Coyaba Beach Resort to your Saves list
Coyaba Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   A1 | Rose Hall Main Road, Montego Bay 000, Jamaica   |
Ranked #17 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Oceanside, New York
“Fantastic family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Had an amazing time here. Been to Jamaica several times and have always stayed at beaches. This resort was like a breath of fresh air!!!!! I loved the intimacy of Coyaba! Felt very special all week! Food was excellent at all three restaurants and each one had their own special vibe. Booked this trip as a getaway with interval international and it did not disappoint. Went as a family trip before my nieces went off to school with my dad and my sisters family. I had booked a 3 bedroom and had no idea that meant we were staying in the owners old house!!! It was absolutely beautifully and very private. Francois the manager spoke with us every time we saw him. The staff was so friendly and helpful!!! Took a couple of tours that we booked there and had the best time. The catamaran snorkel tour was awesome!! The restaurant recommendations off the resort were also amazing!! I can't say enough about our trip and am looking forward to returning!!

486 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Greek first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Back on the 9th of August after staying two weeks at Coyaba. My husband, 15 year old daughter and 18 year old son all had a very enjoyable time there. The ocean view suite rooms were outstanding and spotless. The resort has a colonial feel with tropical gardens and it's own private beach and pool with a separate jacuzzi. There are three restaurants all serving a wide choice of food, all of which was of an excellent standard. I have never stayed in a hotel where staff made you feel so welcome and we're very friendly throughout our stay. The hotel offers a taxi service, and Neville took us on all our trips around the island, I would recommend him.
Overall our holiday to Jamaica was everything and more that we wanted it to be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

A very nice intimate hotel -adequate pool and spa, above average food, quiet, beautiful grounds however -the beach area lacked proper maintenance. The beach area was covered with cigarette butts, drinking glasses, and red stripe bottles. The beach water smelled of diesel fuel and marijuana.

On a more positive note - the room was nice because it was right on the beach. Wish the beach could have been cleaner.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the beach -ground floor.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

A great hotel - beautiful pool, great food, nice quiet location... with ONE BIG BUT: The hotel stinks of cigarette smoke. Being a smoker myself (occasionally) I can tolerate such things to a fairly high standard - but this hotel is unbearable. Even the staff (and the general manager, a chain smoker) admitted that the room was cancerous.

If you want a nice quiet hotel... find one SIMILAR to this one, but perhaps a bit cleaner - and a bit less dangerous to your health.

Also - they clearly have a contract with the airlines - all the good rooms are given to the airline employees... turists are treated like second class citizens.

An awful experience.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We just returned from 4 nights at Coyaba with our 4 kids and 2 sets of grandparents. We loved the small size and for the most part, the staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was quite good and we loved the private beach.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean side.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

From the moment we set foot in the door at Coyabo, we were pampered and treated like royalty. The friendly, cosmopolitan staff met us in the wood-paneled lobby with a hot towel and rum punch....... and the service only improved from that point forward. It seemed like all of the hotel staff knew our names within hours of arrival and all were focused on creating a positive and pleasant experience. The property is compact but well laid out. In particular we enjoyed the amazing pier that juts out into the crystal clear water and is equipped with comfortable Adirondak chairs just perfect for reading or for sipping a glass of wine while watching the sun go down. Our room was well appointed with comfortable bedding, just perfect for a long night's sleep. We were going to spend more time touring the island but because the hotel was so lovely, we opted to spend most of our vacation socializing at the hotel with other guests and the staff or simply relaxing on the pier or beach. The entire trip was first class and very relaxing.....we will return to the Coyaba Resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was pleased with the hotel and the availability of activities provided, but at times I felt that the service was lacking. There were about 15 people that I routinely interacted with on this trip (Servers, Front Desk Staff, Bartenders, Etc)...The first person was Richard. He was what I expected and was very exuberant, happy, etc...He carried our bags up to our room, explained everything to us and routinely said hello later in the trip. Kay, Barbara, and Glenfred were our bartenders and our server for most of the trip and the three of them were very friendly as well. Beyond those 4 people, I was extremely disappointed with the treatment I received from virtually everyone else including the other servers and front desk staff. My wife and I would see them laughing and joking with each other and then they would come stone faced over to us and serve us without any warmth at all. The front desk staff were generally unhelpful and made a simple trip downtown very difficult for us. The person in charge of the aquatic activities and equipment made me wait multiple times when I wanted something if he was eating lunch or doing something else he wanted to be doing, and never smiled once when I asked for or returned equipment. All in all, I've never been to a resort before where I felt so unwelcome a high percentage of my time there. I'm a very outgoing person. I try to engage the staff when I travel and get to know them on a friendly basis. I tip well and ask for things politely. There was no reason that I should have been treated this way. I don't know if that is a cultural difference in Jamaica...or if this staff is not a good representation of the rest of the island, but I will not visit this resort again due to the general attitudes and demeanor of the majority of them.

Beyond that, the food and drinks were very good, but probably about 25%-33% higher in price than they should have been. $8 for a small cocktail, $18 to $30 for most dinner plates...$12 to $18 for appetizers...Options were limited during times between main meals...

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view and are very pleasant.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coyaba Beach Resort? Share your experiences!