“Beach smells of diesel fuel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coyaba Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Coyaba Beach Resort to your Saves list
Coyaba Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   A1 | Rose Hall Main Road, Montego Bay 000, Jamaica   |
Ranked #16 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Rochester, New York
“Beach smells of diesel fuel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

A very nice intimate hotel -adequate pool and spa, above average food, quiet, beautiful grounds however -the beach area lacked proper maintenance. The beach area was covered with cigarette butts, drinking glasses, and red stripe bottles. The beach water smelled of diesel fuel and marijuana.

On a more positive note - the room was nice because it was right on the beach. Wish the beach could have been cleaner.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the beach -ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

A great hotel - beautiful pool, great food, nice quiet location... with ONE BIG BUT: The hotel stinks of cigarette smoke. Being a smoker myself (occasionally) I can tolerate such things to a fairly high standard - but this hotel is unbearable. Even the staff (and the general manager, a chain smoker) admitted that the room was cancerous.

If you want a nice quiet hotel... find one SIMILAR to this one, but perhaps a bit cleaner - and a bit less dangerous to your health.

Also - they clearly have a contract with the airlines - all the good rooms are given to the airline employees... turists are treated like second class citizens.

An awful experience.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We just returned from 4 nights at Coyaba with our 4 kids and 2 sets of grandparents. We loved the small size and for the most part, the staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was quite good and we loved the private beach.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

From the moment we set foot in the door at Coyabo, we were pampered and treated like royalty. The friendly, cosmopolitan staff met us in the wood-paneled lobby with a hot towel and rum punch....... and the service only improved from that point forward. It seemed like all of the hotel staff knew our names within hours of arrival and all were focused on creating a positive and pleasant experience. The property is compact but well laid out. In particular we enjoyed the amazing pier that juts out into the crystal clear water and is equipped with comfortable Adirondak chairs just perfect for reading or for sipping a glass of wine while watching the sun go down. Our room was well appointed with comfortable bedding, just perfect for a long night's sleep. We were going to spend more time touring the island but because the hotel was so lovely, we opted to spend most of our vacation socializing at the hotel with other guests and the staff or simply relaxing on the pier or beach. The entire trip was first class and very relaxing.....we will return to the Coyaba Resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was pleased with the hotel and the availability of activities provided, but at times I felt that the service was lacking. There were about 15 people that I routinely interacted with on this trip (Servers, Front Desk Staff, Bartenders, Etc)...The first person was Richard. He was what I expected and was very exuberant, happy, etc...He carried our bags up to our room, explained everything to us and routinely said hello later in the trip. Kay, Barbara, and Glenfred were our bartenders and our server for most of the trip and the three of them were very friendly as well. Beyond those 4 people, I was extremely disappointed with the treatment I received from virtually everyone else including the other servers and front desk staff. My wife and I would see them laughing and joking with each other and then they would come stone faced over to us and serve us without any warmth at all. The front desk staff were generally unhelpful and made a simple trip downtown very difficult for us. The person in charge of the aquatic activities and equipment made me wait multiple times when I wanted something if he was eating lunch or doing something else he wanted to be doing, and never smiled once when I asked for or returned equipment. All in all, I've never been to a resort before where I felt so unwelcome a high percentage of my time there. I'm a very outgoing person. I try to engage the staff when I travel and get to know them on a friendly basis. I tip well and ask for things politely. There was no reason that I should have been treated this way. I don't know if that is a cultural difference in Jamaica...or if this staff is not a good representation of the rest of the island, but I will not visit this resort again due to the general attitudes and demeanor of the majority of them.

Beyond that, the food and drinks were very good, but probably about 25%-33% higher in price than they should have been. $8 for a small cocktail, $18 to $30 for most dinner plates...$12 to $18 for appetizers...Options were limited during times between main meals...

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view and are very pleasant.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The purpose of our trip was to attend a destination wedding at the Half Moon resort in Montego Bay. We had stayed at Half Moon several years ago. It has become a giant hotel complex and I do not like giant hotel complexes. I chose Coyaba because it is within a mile of Half Moon and was the smallest up-scale hotel in the vicinity. I am glad I did. We enjoyed it much more than the time we had stayed at Half Moon. There are no line ups. No buffets. The three restaurants and bars gave excellent service. There was no need for shuttle buses from the lobby to your room. All three buildings are a minute walk from hotel's lobby.

Many of the guests were from Europe and with its great paintings everywhere, classical furniture and decor it reminded me very much of the hotels that we had stayed at in Europe. All our fellow guests were pleasant and friendly as were the staff at the hotel.

One of the complaints travelers have with resorts in Jamaica is being pestered on the beach. This was not a problem at Coyaba. You are in a walled compound. The security is so tight that no one gets on that property who should not be on that property. Their private beach is PRIVATE.

The gardens at the hotel are beautifully maintained.

The room we had, 313, was large, clean, comfortable and fully equipped.

The hotel is only about 10 minutes from the Montego Bay airport.

There are only 4 imperfections I can think of which are not show stoppers and not much the hotel can do anything about:
1) It is rather isolated from shopping and restaurants. There does not seem to be anywhere to go for a pleasant walk.

2) The private beach is pleasant to lounge on, in very comfortable chaise lounges but the water is too shallow with rocks that can hurt your feet in the water. It is OK but not great. The best beaches I have swam at are in Antigua and this is far from that quality.

3) The hotel is immediately adjacent to a busy 4 lane highway. Sometimes the noise of the traffic is intrusive. I live in an equally noisy city and it is nice to get away from that noise. I did not hear the traffic in our room.

4) Our room was on the 3rd Floor. We wanted to be up high for the sea view. There is no elevator. They offered to move us into a room at ground level. My poor arthritic knees did not appreciate the steps but I enjoyed the view. I have to be honest, I wish they had had elevators.

Would I go back? Sure, if you want to get away for a pleasant, relaxing escape where you feel safe and valued as a guest, it meets those qualifications. We were there for a week in July of 2013.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floors have soaring 25 foot ceilings with ceiling fans. The floors below do no...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Recently stayed here for a business trip. I have to say I was really impressed. The hotel welcome was warm and friendly. Everyone is so relaxed, you instantly feel on holiday. We had a rum punch and sandwiches for our welcome and were given our room keys. I think I had a junior suite as there was a fridge & the room was very large. Superb big bed that you won't have any trouble sleeping all night in.
Good quality room furniture, marble bathroom, iron & ironing board, great shower, nice fluffy towels, private balcony. All gave the room a luxurious feel.
I am not sure what there is to do at night but we chilled with drinks at the end of the pier by the Caribbean Sea and I couldn't have been happier. The resort has a lovely golden sandy beach gently shelving into the clear warm blue sea. Nice bar area, pool area, and pier to chill out on.
Breakfast was good, had Jamaican eggs benedict which went down a treat. There is also a selection of fruit, yogurts and cereals to choose from and you can eat this outdoors on the veranda or indoors. Tropical gardens, very well kept, polite relaxed staff, extremely clean complex.The hotel was fairly quiet, whether this was seasonal I am not sure but it made for a very relaxing stay.
The wildlife around the resort is rich and varied, the Magnificent Frigate Birds are a spectacle soaring over the beach, with hummingbirds drinking from the fountains, herons flying by, lizards, large variety of marine life, all worth watching. Do be careful of mosquitos though and never go outside without spraying!
All in all, a great place to stay, 5 minutes from the airport and easy access to Montego Bay, loved it!

Room Tip: ask for a Junior suite for a bit of luxury.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Coyaba Beach Resort? Share your experiences!