The purpose of our trip was to attend a destination wedding at the Half Moon resort in Montego Bay. We had stayed at Half Moon several years ago. It has become a giant hotel complex and I do not like giant hotel complexes. I chose Coyaba because it is within a mile of Half Moon and was the smallest up-scale hotel in the vicinity. I am glad I did. We enjoyed it much more than the time we had stayed at Half Moon. There are no line ups. No buffets. The three restaurants and bars gave excellent service. There was no need for shuttle buses from the lobby to your room. All three buildings are a minute walk from hotel's lobby.
Many of the guests were from Europe and with its great paintings everywhere, classical furniture and decor it reminded me very much of the hotels that we had stayed at in Europe. All our fellow guests were pleasant and friendly as were the staff at the hotel.
One of the complaints travelers have with resorts in Jamaica is being pestered on the beach. This was not a problem at Coyaba. You are in a walled compound. The security is so tight that no one gets on that property who should not be on that property. Their private beach is PRIVATE.
The gardens at the hotel are beautifully maintained.
The room we had, 313, was large, clean, comfortable and fully equipped.
The hotel is only about 10 minutes from the Montego Bay airport.
There are only 4 imperfections I can think of which are not show stoppers and not much the hotel can do anything about:
1) It is rather isolated from shopping and restaurants. There does not seem to be anywhere to go for a pleasant walk.
2) The private beach is pleasant to lounge on, in very comfortable chaise lounges but the water is too shallow with rocks that can hurt your feet in the water. It is OK but not great. The best beaches I have swam at are in Antigua and this is far from that quality.
3) The hotel is immediately adjacent to a busy 4 lane highway. Sometimes the noise of the traffic is intrusive. I live in an equally noisy city and it is nice to get away from that noise. I did not hear the traffic in our room.
4) Our room was on the 3rd Floor. We wanted to be up high for the sea view. There is no elevator. They offered to move us into a room at ground level. My poor arthritic knees did not appreciate the steps but I enjoyed the view. I have to be honest, I wish they had had elevators.
Would I go back? Sure, if you want to get away for a pleasant, relaxing escape where you feel safe and valued as a guest, it meets those qualifications. We were there for a week in July of 2013.
- Also Known As:
- Coyaba Beach Hotel Montego Bay
- Coyaba Beach Hotel
- Coyaba Beach Montego Bay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coyaba Beach Resort is an intimate seaside hideaway directly on a private, calm beach. The resort offers 50 guestrooms, three restaurants, watersports, fitness, tennis, spa services, and the service & quality of a small luxury hotel. All rooms feature A/C, TV & VCR, private balcony, CD-radio, coffeemaker, hairdryer, mahogany furnishings, and choice of king bed or two doubles. Connecting rooms for families and handicap facilities available. Experience true Caribbean hospitality in an elegant beachfront setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, Venere, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Coyaba Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.