“Amazing Small Friendly Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coyaba Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Coyaba Beach Resort to your Saves list
Coyaba Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   A1 | Rose Hall Main Road, Montego Bay 000, Jamaica   |
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Amazing Small Friendly Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

for what it is (a small hotel surrounded by giant all inclusive resorts) it's an absolute gem!

The food is top notch, (with stuff like free afternoon tea and managers cocktails once a week). the location is cracking and the staff are wonderful (once you get past the Jamaican 'charm' shall we say - they can come across as quite blunt but that's just how all Jamaicans are).

I recommend getting a cab down to Scotchies Jerk Shack - it's quite possibly the best jerk I've ever eaten and it's cheap as hell!

Room Tip: There's only one block with a sea view I think - but the rooms in the main building (the old Col...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We just arrived back from another great holiday in Jamaica!! We travel to Jamaica every 6 months for vacation and truely loved the Coyaba! The staff are extremely friendly and accommodating with big smiles everyday! Shout out to Dwight and Roy on the beach, our cleaning lady Dahlia, the gardeners, the restaurant and front desk staff!
Thank you to the hotel manager Francois for making our stay extra special! We highly recommend the Coyaba if you want to relax on a quiet, beautiful beach front hotel that is very close to the Mo Bay strip.

Thanks Coyaba, we miss you already!
Paul and Lina

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dighton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel and grounds were fantastic, very clean and felt upscale. Grounds, beach and pool immaculate. A little disappointed in the beach there is a lot of seaweed to if you went in the water past your knees you had to tread water constantly to avoid standing in seaweed plants and the barrier blocks all waves so it really is like a lake (hence the seaweed). The restaraunts on site were very expensive for what you got and the service was definately on the slow side, I know it is vacation and all but I was tired and wanted to go my room and relax but it took forever. The main dining hall indicates pants are required to dine for men, my husband only had jeans no dress slacks so we did not go to the restaurant and ate from the limitied menu at the bar/grille upstairs only to walk by the restaurant and see men in there in shorts. If you are looking for an upscale location and the scenery is more important then the beach this is the place to go. Don't get me wrong it is beautiful, friendly staff just not the right fit for my husband and I.

Room Tip: We had a great view from our room water side in the 300 builing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We are just leaving Coyaba... This Hotel is a beautiful resort, very well maintained, and very accommodating staff. Our room (314) came with the ocean/beach view, beautifully appointed, and everything we imagined. The grounds are immaculatly maintained, a real old world plantation feel to it. One of the only drawbacks is that the breakfast and lunch menus are set, so if like us you are staying for an extended vacation it can become repetitive .
One oddity that we as all inclusive guests found was the continual and relative signing of beverage and food receipts every time we ordered something... If we are staying as A/I guests why do we need to sign.... We found this very disconcerting. We also found this resort very quiet, as many other reviewers have noted, but we found this to be too quiet for us. If you are looking for a very quiet vacation Coyaba is for you

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff knew my name by the third day, knew my drink too, relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I don't understand why people didn't think it was wonderful unless you want to be entertained 24-7 (there are not lots of extra activities as i have seen at other all inclusives). My husband and I just wanted to relax, unwind and enjoy! Couldn't have asked for a better place for that!
My husband has celiac disease and is gluten free. Every waiter and chef were made aware and pointed out by management and they knew what was bad for him and made accommodations on each of his meals as needed. We were impressed!
We went on a groupon, but will go again if we cannot find another.

• Stayed February 2013
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I want to be fair..The people staying at the Coyaba seemed to enjoy it more than we did. That could be due to their expectations being met, where mine weren't.
I like to leave the property and wander. That's difficult if staying at the Coyaba. There is no beach to wander down, stopping at interesting places for a drink or a meal. If leaving by the front gate you are on a main highway with most things being far away...save for Scotchies a half mile away.
The 'official' taxi cost $25 each way to go 15 minutes to the 'Hip Strip', with some restaurants being a $70 round trip. I found that I could get a taxi off the street for 40% less for our return, but you don't have this option leaving.
This is also not a resort where you will find tropical 'tall' drinks. When I asked the bartender to make me something tall with rum I was told I could have either a rum and Coke, or a rum and Ting (Ting is the same as Squirt or Mountain Dew). I could also have a pre-made rum punch poured from a jug in the bar's refrigerator. When the drink came (rum and Ting) it was in a glass about an inch taller than a business card stood on it's side.
If staying on resort is what you want, eating at the 'seafood night', or the 'Island Night', and laying by the nice small pool and small beach is what you're after, then the Coyaba is for you. If you're adventurous and prone to wander off property then you won't enjoy your stay.
The staff is friendly and competent. There are no elevators, although that was fine for us. Breakfast and meals are Ok...nothing special. If walking offsite, turn left out of the gate. There's more to see. Better yet, rent a car. If you call any of the airport agencies they'll come out and pick you up, saving the taxi fare.
The Coyaba is also used by airline crews, probably due to it's proximity to the airport which is about 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: Ocean Junior Suites are not all facing the ocean, although you will have some view to the water. If...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

my stay here was for a weekend and just concluded. I loved it here and hosts are very friendly. great hotel view, very quiet and intimate . I would definately go back. pros: room with excellent ocean view and decor, staff, environment. cons: food is to expensive and drinks also for eg a rum punch is $8

Room Tip: ocean deluxe rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coyaba Beach Resort? Share your experiences!