“Exceptional Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coyaba Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Coyaba Beach Resort to your Saves list
Coyaba Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   A1 | Rose Hall Main Road, Montego Bay 000, Jamaica   |
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Midwest City, Oklahoma
“Exceptional Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Travel dates was September 9 - 16, 2012
I wanted to express my recommendation for the Coyaba Resort. My 18 year old daughter and I went to Montego Bay and was a little nervous about going out of the country. Let me say, that is no longer an issue in respect to Montego Bay, Jamaica. The people of Jamaica were outstanding. Our stay at Coyaba WILL NOT be our last. The resort was outstanding!!!! It was the perfect sized resort. It was not to crowded and it was very relaxed and charming. The room we stayed in was great. No problems. The resort was clean and the beach was "outstanding". The reef was just off the shore and broke the wake of the ocean waves and the water was very calm and relaxing. We spent most of our time on the beach and in the ocean. I was in need of an escape from the hussell and bussell of work and just the hurried american lifestyle. I must say this was the most relaxing vacation I have even taken!!!!! The only thing I would like to see added is more American food dishes. I am a rather picky eater and the food choices were not large. The spa at the resort was fantastic!!! Highly recommend the "Afternoon Delight" spa for two. The Hip Strip was an experience of its own and was fun. Margarittaville was outstanding too. Food and drinks were great. The water toys were a blast. I am always looking for a great beach escape and this is now my favorite beach. It is not a long beach for long walks, but there is a dock which adds something different than most beaches I've stayed at. It was a beautiful setting all the way around. If you want a busy resort with lots of people and activities this is not the resort for you. They did have kayaks, pedal boat and a sail boat which were readily available and fun. The resort had evening events such as great bands, bon fire on the beach, one night was live music and the resort allowed some venders to come in and display and sell their items. By the end of our week, we wanted to book for another week, but our time was up and we had to get back to reality. I must say again, I will return to Jamaica and I will stay at the Coyaba again!!!!!! Enjoy and be ready for a relaxed setting.. Thanks to all the staff at Coyaba who made our stay very pleasant and enjoyable.

Wendy and Makayla McEntire
Midwest City, Oklahoma

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Coyaba after a cancelled flight left me stranded for one night. It was so much nicer than the all inclusive I spent most of my vacation at. The room was huge and my first floor room had a large patio leading directly to the pool and beach with key access at both the front and back door. The staff was sort of particular and maybe not as welcoming since I was a short term visitor, or that was the impression I got. Either way, the amazing beach and fabulous room made up for it. I would choose this hotel over the larger one if I ever go back. I didn't experience much in my short stay but I did leave wishing I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I visited Coyaba last week (Aug 19-24) for our honeymoon. I'm a harsh critic with it comes to hotels and restaurants, especially resorts, but our visit was absolutely perfect.

From the minute we arrived we felt special and could tell that the staff at the resort was there to take care of us. Check-in was simple and we were taken to our room by Richard who explained how things worked around the property. He was extremely helpful. Our room was an Ocean Junior Suite on the 3rd floor. The room was huge and we spent a lot of time in our sitting area looking out at the ocean (when we weren't already on the beach). The room was clean and the maid service was great each day. Even if we didn't have our sheets changed they made our bed for us.

The bathroom was nice, nothings outstanding, but just what we needed. We are a tall couple, each over 6 feet tall, and we found that the shower head was very short for us, but that's something we run into often.

The food was great. Every morning the same menu was offered but there is enough variety that you can switch it up so it doesn't get boring. Lunch was served out by the pool and the beach and was the same menu everyday, but there are a lot of options and we never came close to having the same thing twice, between two of us. Dinner was served at the main restaurant or upstairs at the Polo Lounge. The dinner menu changed every night and was delicious! We were there for 3 different "theme" nights. Some nights there was even live music while we dined. The menu at the Polo Lounge was the same every night, but you could also order from the downstairs menu and eat upstairs.

While the food and room was great, the service went above and beyond. Yes, everything moves on island time, so don't expect a quick breakfast or a speedy dinner before bed, but that doesn't matter when every person waiting on you has a smile. And why rush - you're in Jamaica! The bartenders got to know us by name and knew our favorite drinks by the end of our first day at the resort. Gladstone was such a treat.

Also critical to any beach resort is the beach. We couldn't have been happier with the beach at Coyaba. After breakfast we'd head out to the beach to grab some chairs under one of the large umbrellas and we never had a problem getting one. I would recommend you head out by 9am if you want one of ones closest to the bar. The water was so calm, it was great for swimming and snorkeling around the dock - TONS of sea life! We took out a kayak one day and were even taken out on the resort boat to go snorkeling in the reef.

I can't stress how nice it was to stay at a small resort with a quite beach. We never had to wait in line for food or a drink and I never felt like the couple next to us could hear what we were saying. It was such a wonderful trip and we left fully relaxed. Another nice touch, the grounds of the resort were cleaned each day and kept in perfect condition. OH, and I can't forget - the trip to and from the airport is a breeze! We took a cab each way and the trip was no more than 10 minutes. Much better than 2 hours to some resorts further away.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a suite with an ocean view is absolutely worth it. Some rooms on the first floor walke...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Independence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This resort was wonderful. It’s the perfect place to go and relax. The staff was very friendly and always wanted to make sure we had a great time. The rooms were very clean and well taken care of. The food was excellent and the servers and bartenders were professional, yet friendly and laid back. The beach is very small and you aren't able to take longs walks, but there are two floating rafts in the ocean for guests to lay on and swim too, which came in handy for many people in our party. The dock is a great place to watch the sun rise and set from and also snorkel around. The staff took us out on a boat and allowed us to snorkel a little further from the resort. It was a lot of fun and they made us feel very safe. If you aren’t looking for a large, fancy resort this is the resort to stay at. It’s just minutes away from the airport, its quiet, fun and home away from home .

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Despite what others are saying, other than reception I find the staff surly, unsmiling and unfriendly.
The rooms are OK although my air conditioning was poor and my fridge didn't work.
Pool is great but small however there are very comfortable sunbeds. Beach area ok.

• Stayed July 2012
Florence, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Jamaica July 13-19 to have a destination wedding. We did tons of research, read tons of reviews, and eventually chose Coyaba Beach Resort in MoBay. Relatively small in size, especially if youve ever stayed at a mega resort, we thought Coyaba would be the perfect place to invite 30 of our closest friends and family for a nice,quite vacation, and also not have to worry about 500 other guests witness our wedding :) I will cover the wedding more at the end of the review for those who may be interested, but i realize not everyone is going to jamaica to get married, so i will cover the GORGEOUS RESORT and all of its WONDERFUL STAFF first!

Like i mentioned we had a group of 30, covering all age groups. Some of our guests wanted a peaceful, relaxing vacation, some wanted to start drinking as soon as the bar opened. We had two children attend the wedding, ages 4 and 6, not to mention a very stressed out bride and husband to be. Needless to say, a very diverse group, each with their own idea of the "perfect" vacation, and its safe to say thats exactly what EVERYONE had!!

THE RESORT:

Grounds are amazingly beautiful! Though a smaller resort, there are still plenty of nooks and crannys to walk in the evening, or hide away during the afternoons. Someone was always tending to the flowers or removing dead palm leaves, the place was beautiful! The Decor throughout the hotel was very charming. By no means am i an interior design expert lol, but i felt so comfortable and at home everywhere I went.

The Docks (Beach Bar and Grill) were the PERFECT spot to sneak away from the sun during the afternoon. Stunning views from the deck made a great spot to try one of the delicious drinks made by the bartender(Try as many as you can) there is a drink for everybody :) At night time they lit up the pier, which made for a PERFECT ending to everyday!!

THE PEOPLE:

Words can't describe the service we recieved during our stay!! Everyone was so kind! We felt like family as soon as we drove through the gates. They were absolutely THE BEST! I will name as many as i can remember, and even then i will miss someone

PATRICK (had a conversation with him everytime we passed. Always at the resort, not sure when he sleeps lol) FRANCIOS (sry if i mispelled it lol, but he was always around making sure everyone was having a great vacation) CHRIS (an absolute pleasure to be around! Loves people, and his job, to the fullest! He made sure everyone was aware of everything that coyaba watersports had to offer! If he wasnt busy setting someone up for kayaking, snorkeling etc.... He was walking on the beach, or through the pool area, talking to people and getting to know everyone! Our trip would not have been the same without Chris!!! Thanks so much, Respect!!) KAY (My favorite bartender :) Never had to remind her my drink, she would see me coming and have it waiting! Loved chatting with her at the polo bar) RICHARD ( the happiest bell hop ever!! had the biggest smile on his face everytime we passed! Always a kind word, just a real joy to run into him all of the time!) GLADSTONE (bartended my wedding reception. LURNELL (Always smiling. Went out of his way to make sure our group had a wonderful time) He was GREAT, and very busy lol) DENNIS, ENVROY, MARCO, MARKEY, pretty much everyone that worked there!! They all remember you each time they see you and no one is ever to busy to stop and chat!!

THE FOOD:

Ill comment on the food but i am afraid i may not do it justice. I am a simple eater lol, a nachos and chicken fingers kinda guy, but everyone in my party (remember thats 30 people) had nothing but great things to say about the food at all 3 restaraunts. Breakfast was great. I loved it every morning! Huge waffles, a wonderful breakfast burrito, jerk sausage, mmmmmm!! The jerk chicken was AMAZING, and i tried some of my friends mahi mahi one day and it was just as good. They put a jerk sausage on the nachos which i loved! They also offered chicken fingers and other things for the less adventerous. Room service was fairly quick and always looked exactly like it did in the restaraunt. Food for our wedding reception was GREAT! Snapper, chicken, tenderloin (which may have been the best any of my party had ever tried) and all kinds of sides. Best meal ive eaten in years!!

SWIMMING:

Pool and hot tub area were plenty big for a resort of this size! I never saw anyone have an issue at all getting a lounge chair. Very clean pool and the hot tub was kept bubbling all day long. The other place to lounge or swim would be the beach, obviously. In a lot of reviews you will see the size of the beach come up. Yes the beach is kind of small, but there are only 50 rooms, and just like the pool area no ever had a problem finding a place to get some sun, or shade! The sea is perfect for swimming, as the resort is protected by a reef off shore, so waves are at a minimum. Also because of the reef, there was not a lot of seaweed or anything washing up on shore, so it was very clean. There are two large floating platforms off of the beach that make a perfect place to sip a rum punch and hang out in the ocean. We found the best place to swim however, was off of the pier. Water was calm and clear, not to deep, we could have floated out there forever!!

WHAT TO DO:

Try everything you can! The watersports (shout outs to Chris and Markey who run the show down there) were so fun. Kayaking, snorkeling, boat rides, wind surfing, they have you covered!! It was an absolute blast doing all of it and those two were so much fun to be around. If you dont visit Chris and Markey at the watersports hut, even if its just to say hi and chat for a minute youve missed out! The theme nights were really cool as well. Jamaican Night with a steel drum band (loved them) and some local cuisine. Seafood night had a Mento Band, who also played for our wedding, they were awesome. Everyone got up and danced while they played Bob Marley songs, and the menu was terrific! We only stayed 6 nights so we missed Jam-Asain night but based on everything else, Id imagine its worth checking out as well.

NOW THE WEDDING:

From the first email until the moment the wedding started, Joanne, Kevin and Gabi were on top of everything. When we had questions, they were always quick with an answer. Everything was very clear, no surprise fees or anything. They just made the whole process so easy for us!

The package is very reasonable! There was not much we added to what was already included. The reverend was AWESOME! We met him and his wife a coule days for the wedding, and could not have picked a better one if we wanted to! Very ginuine and personable! We enjoyed their company so much we invited his wife to the ceremony as well! The photographer they had for us (Ventura Photo and Video) took AMAZING pictures! They put us in touch with a woman named Sandra for our floral arrangements! Her bridal bouquet was GORGEOUS and the centerpieces at the reception were so lovely!!! Our room was upgraded with the package (best view on the resort)! The reception was very affordable. We had a buffet dinner (AMAZING) Open Bar (ALSO AMAZING) cake, dessert. We did however choose to bring our own music on an ipod. We were on a budget and the entertainment was a little extra, but they had speakers and a mic so the ipod worked perfect for us to play a specific playlist of our songs! A mento band was included for the ceremony and they were great! It just added that extra "island" feel to the whole thing.

The wedding lawn was set up beautiful, with all of the chairs facing us, the Caribbean as the backdrop, STUNNING!!!!! We did our reception at THE DOCKS, which was perfect for our buffet dinner and dancing. Everything was so PERFECT!!! It was so much more than anything my Bride, my Party, or I could have ever asked for!!!! If you are looking for a beautiful, personal destination wedding, COYABA BEACH RESORT will definitely make you and your entire group, feel like family!!!

Timonium, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband, 14 yr old daughter and I just returned from a 5-day stay. As other reviews have mentioned it is a very relaxing resort. The food was fantastic, with some genuine Jamaican touches. That is so important when you have paid the all-inclusive price. If the food was not great it would severely affect your stay. They had no problems with me substituting some items on the menu, they were very flexible. Fresh fruit is plentiful and good. The banana bread at breakfast and tea is moist and delicious.

I will try to mention some different things. There are three buildings – the rooms in the 100’s are going to be above the lobby and restaurant, the 200’s will have some ocean views and the 300’s is the best with it facing the ocean dead on. The rooms are spacious with their own AC control; and you can make it nice and cold. At check-in, you are given a key to the safe in the room. It’s somewhat hard to explain how the key is in a block thing that fits into the safe. Suffice it to say that it made me feel like my belongings would be safer than I’ve felt with some previous in- room safes.

We had absolutely no problems with beach chairs being taken before we could get there. I think this may be the luck of the draw with who is staying at the resort the same time as you. As soon as some people start saving the lounge chairs, you may get others that do it too. Maybe when you check in ask how full the resort is. While there were only about nine of the natural umbrellas, there were also shaded places around the pool and under palm trees. There are plenty of water type loungers for you to lie out in the ocean or in the pool. They took us snorkeling and that was a blast.

Tipping: I will say that I tend to be someone that always tips a solid 20%. When you check-in they give you an informational sheet stating some international travelers will not tip but that tipping is up to you. You can write the tip on the check (you still sign a check after each meal even when you are all inclusive) and when you do that the waiter will take his checks to the front desk and be paid his tips. This is what we did and since food is so expensive, we still spent about $300 on food tips. This does not include tipping for things like the snorkeling, the airport driver, etc.

US dollars: When I arrived, I exchanged $20 US dollars for Jamaican currency at the airport. We ended up using our US currency to pay for things and that is totally fine, everyone takes it.

Dining: two of the three restaurants were not air conditioned while we were there. The Vineyards did have some AC units in the wall, so I’m assuming there may be times when they turn it on. My suggestion would be to assume there would be no AC and dress accordingly. Men have to wear long pants in the Vineyard restaurant; however, women can be dressed cooler. There are plenty of ceiling fans going and a nice breeze, so it was fine while we were there. There was no need for reservations for dining. I loved that flexibility and there was never any problem getting a table.

Lastly, some other reviewer mentioned that airline crew may layover at the resort. While this is true (British Airways has 13 rooms reserved at any time), I see this is as a plus rather than a negative. That is at least 13 rooms that probably will not be fully used the whole time you are at the resort. So that is 13 less people to take a lounge chair or be seated in the dining room. Plus it was lots of fun to meet some crew members from London!

Final comment – absolutely stay here if you want great food, extremely friendly staff that will recognize you and a relaxing time. Thanks everyone at Coyaba for a great vacation!

Room Tip: Pick a room in the "3" building if you want ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coyaba Beach Resort? Share your experiences!