“Great Time!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Try The Oasis at Sunset
Ranked #18 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
White Plains, New York
“Great Time!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Before booking my trip to Sunset Beach I read most of the reviews for this hotel both good and bad. I was traveling with my wife and 2 baby boys (18 months and 4yrs old). I was mainly interested in keeping them busy,. I decided to book the trip for the week of 7/3-7/10... We were also joined by brother and wife. During the ride VERY short ride from the airport (less then 5 minutes) I was a little worried by the neighborhood but thats how most carribean islands are. When we arrived at the hotel that changed by opinion of Jamaica. From the time we stepped foot on hotel property we were treated like celebrities. Not sure how people have had issues with the staff.. From the Bellman, front desk, bartenders,excursion desk to the entertainment crew everyone was Super Friendly.. The hotel is not a 5 star resort but the people treat you as if it is. It can use a paint job here and there and some updating, but your there to have fun not complain the entire time.
Here is a brief breakdown of each section:

FOOD-- Breakfast and lunch buffet were great. Nice selection... Dinner you have a choice of the Buffet of 3 different restaurants which are very good. We ate at the Asian restaurant 3x which is a little like PF CHangs. The Italian restaurant was good. The carribean rest was to my surprise very good. I never eat food with a lot of spice.. was not the case there.

POOLS-- There are 5 pools plus a kid pool in the day care area. 2 of the pools are connected to the swim up bar.. Another pool over looks the beach.. The best pool is connected to the AWESOME water slides. The pictures don't show the slides best features. The structure can use some paint, but who cares.. The lazy river is nice.. My 4yr old

LOVED the water slides and I enjoyed them also.. That same pool is good for small babies-adults. The pool starts at a few inches then increases to 4-5 feet. Even my 18month old loved the pool. Bring your own float toys..
Beach-- The beaches are rather small. Good for snorkeling. We purchased our own but the hotel had plenty.. There are Kayaks, Paddle Boats and they even had body boards with a window so kids can go snorkeling. my 4 yr old loved it.. Few negatives for the beach are Rocky beaches bring watershoes and the seaweed a few feet from shore.

Entertainment--The fun starts at the pool, The entertainers try and get everyone involved from pool volleyball games, beer drinking games and dance contest. If your looking for a good time they will bring it out of you!!! There is one entertainer RICHIE RICH.. He is a nut.. He really has a great time and makes you feel good. Through out the entire day there are activities. I think it was great they want everyone having fun.. At night they have different entertainers. For the 5-6 days we went to the night show we really enjoyed ourselves. On the 4th of july there was a Michael Jackson impersonator who performed for a good 1/2 hour AWESOME>> Other activities were very amusing..My 4yr old even got involved during musical chairs!!// The people who work for the entertainment crew really made the trip special. There is a small casino and small club in the hotel lobby
ROOMS-- We booked out trip on Expedia with just a garden view to save money. When we checked in we were all upgraded to a OCEANFRONT room on the 3rd floor no extra charge!! So were very happy when we saw our room with view!! The room is a typical island room. Very comfortable King size bed in which all 4 of us slept in comfortably, ( the crib we request was hilarious) bring your own pack n play.. The TV reception wasn't to good but most channel were clear.. Bathroom weren't bad.. The rooms are ok. Its not fancy buy for a vaction it good.. I wish there was a clock in the room! The Air Conditioner is freezing!!!!
Outside the hotel-- We took a ride to the Hip Strip for solvenier shopping. It cost $10 per adult.. There it becomes interesting. We went to few stores the driver drover to. THe shop was like a store you would find in the US. Always negotiate!!!! I decided to go to a different store where the natives were. better prices and better selection..Then we went to a local flea market looking place.. This is behind some store where the people are dam near begging you to look in there shack of a store.. This was very intimadating.. I don't recommend people go there.. You can also set up JetSking from the hotel $60 per ski
Sorry for the long review. But we really loved this hotel!!! If you can get over a little outdated room Come here. If you want a hotel with uptight people and a place where people dont smile go elsehere. If you want a good time and want to see good friendly people this is the place.. My 4 year old son had a great time and they treated up great!!!!!!
We are planning our return next year..
Yeah MON!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy
Steve

4,052 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I've been coming to Sunset Beach since 2001, when I decided to have a destination wedding. I had never heard of this hotel or had internet reviews to rely on, but after the help of a online travel agent, I was sold! I know 5 dots all the way through seems a bit much, but in all honesty, SBRS offers you the best deal for your money. Only 15 minutes away from the airport, you are greeted by the most pleasant staff who take your bags and offer a drink upon check in. The wonderful open view of the pools and the beach as you walk in captivates you as you are invited into paradise. There are four pools, one made especially for the kids with their own slide. Not to mention a water park, featuring a lazy river and two towering slides. The beach includes fun activities for the whole family like volleyball, kayaking, snorkeling...just to name a few. For those of you who frown upon tan lines, there is even a nude beach, nestled in a secluded location. If you have children there is a fabulous kids club called the "Mongoose" that allow you to drop of your child off from 9-5 then again at 7-9pm in the care of wonderful staff members who plan out an agenda to keep your child actively engaged. To relax there is the spa that will leave you feeling brand new and for those who need to check up on work you have access to wifi. But to top it off the food is great! Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner...I could mention more, but it's much better in person! I would recommend this hotel to couples and families alike.

Altamonte Springs, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Spent 4 nights at Sunset Beach with my best friend and my twin, 17, year old daughters -- celebrating their graduation from high school. At first glance, I was surprised that the hotel seemed a tad bit shabby. It was clean enough and the employees were all very friendly and helpful, but the atmosphere seemed a bit mundane and needing some pizazz. Believe me, within 24 hours, I felt very different about Sunset Beach! Between the awesome service we received and the wonderful food served at the buffet as well as the restaurants, I quickly grew to LOVE the place!!!!

Maurice at the tour desk was incredibly accomodating and helpful -- booking and rebooking our dinner reservations, tours, and helping us locate friends on the island. He certainly is 5 stars!!!!! We met wonderful, wonderful people who worked there . . . from the lifeguard to the maid!!! The rooms were very basic (we stayed in the tower and had been upgraded to a partial ocean view because my daughters' room was not "next door" to mine, but rather was across the hall) -- and the furniture old . . . but who the heck cares! I'm in Montego Bay, Jamaica, where ever'ting is IRIE!!!!

Seriously folks, this is not a 5 star resort and if you're looking for that (I respect that) then this isn't the place for you. However, if you're genuinely looking for good food, excellent service -- at a very decent price, give this place a try! If you're somebody who's going to complain about the lack of towels, or the buffet ran out of fresh mango . . . no matter where you stay, you're gonna have a problem (unless you're in Dubai).

Get off the property and meet the people, eat the local fare, and experience new things. Don't be afraid . . . be respectful and enjoy the country!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I just came back from this resort last night, we stayed from 7/3-7/10. The resort is great for families, but couples should be wary. The nightly entertainment consisted of family games such as limbo for children and a talent show (which had about five contestants, children dancing and singing)

Aside from the nightly entertainment, the resort itself is OK. The waterpark is an eyesore, however the size of the pool makes up for it, if you don't mind swimming alongside children in dirty diapers. The rooms are a disgrace (in dire need of upgrades) The bathroom door was dirty and the bed is very uncomfortable (but you get what you pay for) The one thing that irked us was that the room HAS a safe, but it does not contain a key. We did not realize this until the last day of vacation when another couple told us that they had to request a key from the front desk, we thought the safe was broken so we did not request room service during our stay. Housekeeping asked us about not having them in our room twice, which irked us, it's our choice and we prefer not to have our passports swiped, thanks. The staff is not very pleasant, particularily KEVIN the bellhop. He had his cart in front of the elevator so there was not room for guests to stand, we stood in front of the doorway. He then asked my boyfriend and I if WE could read. Two college educated people, if they could read because we were standing in front of the door that stated "fire exit'. We ignored him, then got on the elevator. Again, on the elevator he asked us if we could read, taunted us about not being able to read until my boyfriend had enough and told him off. We were vacationing, this was extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. Had his stupid cart not taken up the entire aisle, we could have had room to stand, Something should be done about this man he was so rude and if my boyfriend and I didn't have a good tempermant, he could get himself into some serious trouble if he acts like that to other guests, especially if this were our first impression of the hotel. So the poolside entertainment is loud and obnoxious, we stayed on the beach for the most part. They had a "T-Shirt making contest" and were trying to get guests to give up their T-Shirts. My boyfriend and I were sunbathing, and then the host came over to us and asked us for ours, which we politely declined. Then she stated, "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you to take off your T-Shirt' Completely out of line and not funny.

The "towel hut" or lack thereof, never had clean towels. It is a shame that they even advertise this as a benefit. We went FIVE separate times on one day and did not get clean towels. Word to the wise, do not turn your towels in, it will take days to get different ones. We fortunately brought our own so it wasn't too bad but other guests had a terrible time without having towels for hours.
So ok, aside from some horrible customer service and some rooms needing upgrading, if you are taking a family on an affordable vacation where the food is not terrible, and you are looking for some sun, and children nightly entertainment, t hen the sunset is not a bad choice if you can accept that you are not at a five star resort. The food wasn't bad for an all inclusive. The breakfast was great and the Asian food (reservations required) was delicious. The other restaurants, Italian, and Carribean were okay. Lunch selection is not terrible,enough to get you by to dinner.

One annoying thing about the resort is all of their photographers. They come by when you're asleep at the beach asking to take pictures of you; NO leave us alone, if we wanted pictures, we would set up an appointment (which we did eventually @ Sunset and they came out awesome!)

The "disco" or lack thereof is in some serious need of an employee overhaul. They seem annoyed when you order drinks. They have good popcorn after 10 pm.so if you do go, make sure you get some and just ignore the attitude from the bartender.

All in all, I would say this is a mediocre resort for families who are looking for a good value, and couples, pay a little bit extra for a better resort, we learned our lesson by going here on a value vacation. We had a good time, but would have taken it back for a little bit more money and a better resort. Also- Sunset-you should make sure KEVIN the bellhop gets a serious talking to, this attitude and behavior is unacceptable and uncalled for and really was the icing on the cake for writing this poor review.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
memphis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I will preface this by saying this is a reflection of American standards. We went with our 2 teenagers and adult son (13,17,20 yo). Jamaica itself is lovely but this resort is only a 2 Star at the most. I went fully aware that this was 3 star but even then it was far worse than I expected. We started by having a major mixup due to Costco Travel which I will NEVER use again. We spent 2 hours at the front desk trying to get our reservation straightened out; Not one person at the resort even tried to help. They simply said "call our reservation desk". Even after asking for a manager no one appeared. This should have been a clue as to the service we would receive. I'll try to break it down by the good/bad.

Rooms: Our room was equivalent to an old Super 8. The tile in the shower was dirty and cracked in the 1st rm. We moved and the 2nd was slightly more updated. The room was ok but the air was a small unit that ran in our room but only partial in our kids. The beds are hard with cheap bedding that had holes in the blankets. Bring your own lotion and hair conditioner as none is provided. Small tv but it did have cable.

Food: One of the major drawbacks. After the 2hr checkin the only thing open was the grill so I had a burger. Four hours later I was down for the count in the bathroom. I work in a hospital and this was a food-bourne illness. For the next 3 1/2 days I was barely able to eat. Next, they state that you have 3 restaurants to choose from, what a joke. On our arrival we were informed that there was only one restaurant open each night and you had to make reservations in advance. We were told "you should have called before you came to make reservations". We ate 6 of 8 nights in the specialties and in every one only half the tables were seated even though people were being told they were all booked up. The breakfast buffet was ok but if you want more than one cup of coffee you had better plan on getting it yourself bc the service was lacking. Lunch was variable and if you got there early you could find a selection but most things were not refilled so by an hour in it was pretty limited. There is a snack bar with grill cheese, chicken, hot dogs, and burgers. There are no other snacks anywhere so if you have young children I suggest bringing something with you.

Pools: 2 adjoining, 1 water slide, and another limited to volleyball. Ok except there is no staff watching so children were out of control. There were also many guests smoking and dropping their ashes/butts all along the pool. Water slide ok except it is only open 10-4ish. Instead of cleaning during the offtime they had it closed one day for cleaning. The hot tub was broken half of the days and like the pool had no supervision so it often had 3-4 yo jumping in and splashing.

Beach: Good for snorkeling as you can see alot right offshore but plan to bring your own snorkel as there are only about 6-8 for the whole place. The water is both rocky and full of seaweed which we had planned for by bringing water shoes but if you have young children they will likely not go in. Most families with younger children stayed at the pools.

Activities: Another joke. Mini golf has 3 clubs for the entire resort and the "9 holes" is a dirty broken down mess. There are 2 kayaks, 1 boat, 2 windsails that we saw. They can only be used up to 4:30 so if you want to go for any day trips and then come back there is nothing to do. We were able to take out kayaks twice but you have to stay within about 100ft of shore. Teen center was scary. My kids are from the city and wouldn't even go. It has very little in it (pool table, small chair with Wii and one with Playstation). Ping pong was ok but could never get the paddles in the entire 8 days.
Would have tried the spa but prices were twice what I pay in nicest place back home. $3/minute for phone so buy an international calling card before going.

Service: This is my major complaint. Almost no one working there was friendly. Exmp: when asking for restaurants in town we were given 3 menus and told that was all she really knew. The bartenders were rude unless you tip them which is the problem. Even though you are not supposed to tip the service was subpar if you don't. The resort does not try to deter this in anyway. I refuse to tip just to get basic service and I have worked restaurants when I was younger so I am always polite. I also observed alot of young females being hit on by staff. I was told by a staff member on the beach that he would "put lotion on for me and take me to the nude beach if I wanted". I would not be comfortable sending any 20ish females there by themselves.

Great: Housekeeping was good and friendly. Everyone in Italian restaurant including the two Andres and especially the bartender. Beach was blocked off so no one bothered you on the beach like in Negril. I did feel safe and comfortable letting our kids wander a bit by themselves. Entertainment staff was fun if you are into bar games and "dirty dancing" .

Sorry this is so long but I would have liked to know much of this before going. I had read many reviews and thought the really bad were just incredibly picky people. Now I have to agree with them. If you are ok with Super8 and want nothing more than Denny's food and to drink limitless beer then go. If you want a nice family or couples vacation find somewhere else. If you are a couple try the new "Secrets Resort" next door which was lovely and had great feedback from the 3 couples we met from there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Port Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

June 28-July 6 2010

Sunset Beach is the equivalent of a Motel Six. If you are looking for value, this is the place to go. Don't go thinking this will be a Hilton. It isn't. As a whole, it is an average property.

Pros:
+ We had a great experience with Club Mongoose. They were great with the kids.
+ The beach. I don't know why people complained. It was beautiful and well kept. Snorkeling and kayaking were available. We saw an array of fish just by looking in the water. Nude beach was on the end, so if you aren't into that thing, stick to the main beaches :)
+ The waterslide park and lazy river. This is awesome if you have kids. There is a lifeguard sometimes, but honestly, they don't enforce anything.
+ Specialy restaurants. We had great meals at the Asian and Itailian restaurant. Great food. Great service!

Neutrals
Buttet was consistent, but after a week, you are ready to be done.
Waitstaff. Some were friendly, some weren't. It's expected. It's dang hot.
Casino. Boring.
Silk Road. Had a great experience up until my massage therapists phone started ringing. Boo. Hiss. Steam room and bath were lovely.
Entertianment. For us, it was late. Come 10 we were dead. Had fun during the day watching the goat races and other activitives on the beach. Fun!
Cats. My kids thought it was awesome trying to catch the kittens. They succeeded once. I know it might be a nuisance to some, but it kept the kids entertained.

Negatives:
-The rooms. We were in 206W. It had no working smoke detector (ripped off wall). The sink kept plugging. You had to take the drain out. No hot water, ever. Lukewarm at best. Luckily it was 90+ degrees out. A couple tiles were broken on the floor. It was a very standard room. Beds were okay. Pillows were small. Maid forgot our towels once. No worries. Very amiable to fix things.
-Frequently out of pool towels. Boo!
-Distance to town. We used Juta Tours (A giant rave to Barry from Montego Bay). He was an amazing tour driver. To town, it is 30.00, or you can travel with the hotel at their specific time of 11 and pickup at 2. We took a private tour to Ocho Rios and then another to Negril. Each at 150 a pop. Totally worth it.

Honestly, next time, I would stay down in Negril/Ricks Cafe. We had a blast on the seven miles of beaches and Barry kept a good watch on us and our items. It was a beautiful time, but I would be hesitant to stay at Sunset Beach again, even though we had a pleasant time.

Just keep in mind, this is a VALUE hotel. We went through usairways.com and it was worth the price we paid. If I had paid more, I would have been upset, but a deal is a deal :) Humidity is high. It was tough to capture pictures, but I attached a few.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We transferred from Holiday Inn Sunpree, Montego Bay because we only had reservations for two days. What a nightmare -- big difference. You are only paying for the upkeep of the Sunset Beach. The beach is full of rocks and creepy things; however, the pools are nice. Most people stayed in the pools. The rooms, no alarm clock, television issues and even more issues when storms came through -- pure snow flakes. The food okay, but needs to be covered because of the problem with flies. The dinning area looks great, but due to open (huge) bay windows, you have to deal with stray cats (guest feed them) and black birds, serious problem. Lastly, the beds --HARD AS A ROCK. The matress was extremely worn with springs. It was a king size matress with two twin box springs. The water either Extremly HOT (after running for a few moments) or Extremely COLD, there was no in between.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!