“Once you go Sunset you want to go back!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Once you go Sunset you want to go back!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed with friends at the Sunset Beach and Spa resort in Montegobay, Jamaica and we had such a wonderful time. We attended a wedding for a friend there and I was amazed at how well everything was done, from decorations to the food to the layout for the wedding was great! We are back home and none of us can stop talking about the awesome food, the wonderful staff, the beach was amazing not to mention the many pools we even enjoyed the waterpark. We had the chance to eat at all the specialty resturants and have no complaints. From begining to end the trip was great, including our room and the service we received from the staff, everyone was friendly and curteous. My husband and I can't wait to go back and take our kids. Absouletly no regrets--Loved every moment of it!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

The location was good, I felt safe not too noisy. The majority of staff were friendly the beach was breathtaking.
My room was nice spacious and clean. The food was excellent. We tried all the restaurants and could not fault any. I ate so much i gained around 5 lbs.
I came home totally chilled and I will be recommending it to all my friends and family.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Don't rely on what you have seen on-line. The resort's website and reviews do not really paint a good picture of what this resort is like and what it has to offer. First off, the resort is very large - larger than the pictures make it seem. The beaches are beautiful - they are clean and well maintained. The food is quite good and the service is outstanding. There is a large waterpark and activities for both kids and adults so you can do as much or as little as you want on your vacation. The hotel rooms do look a little worn but you don't really spend a lot of time in your room with so many other places to explore. There is a reason the hotel has orientation every day - it takes a little exploring to see everything this resort has to offer.

The good things - This resort was entirely all inclusive. We wore a wristband during our stay and that took care of all meals and drinks. There was no signing receipts or paperwork - no need to bring cash anywhere.

The service was very good - having been to the Caribbean before we were expecting to wait for everything. That was not the case here. The service was excellent and all the other services - beach cleanup, table bussing, wait staff was outstanding.

The resort is beautiful. The stunning views are what you think of when you think of Jamaica. The sunsets are amazing. The beaches are quite large and the coves are great for snorkeling. The weather is beautiful - 80 degrees in April.

The not so good things - Be prepared - there are kids everywhere. This is a very kid friendly resort. My husband and I went for a quiet get away and had to look a little to find quiet areas by the beach or the pool.

Restaurant policy. There are 3 restaurants in addition to the buffet, however, reservations must be made once you check in and can only be made 2 days in advance. The policy also stipulates that you may only go to a restaurant once during your visit. We were able to try two restaurants during our stay but found this policy to be rather restrictive.

The resort does not have an airport shuttle. Be ready to haggle with taxi drivers or go to the Sunset Beach Resort desk in the airport for help.

Overall, my husband and I really enjoyed our few days in the sun. This resort manages to keep its Jamaican identity while catering to tourists from all over the world. We strongly recommend this to other couples looking for time in the sun or families looking for a kid-friendly place to kick back and relax.

toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

My Husband and I went In January for his Birthday, along with us came My cousin and his Gf.

Hotel:
We were in tower two on a higher floor with a partial ocean view and a balcony.
Rooms were Clean, No bugs, No musky odor, one of the elevators were out of order.

Beach/Pools:
The beach was okay, water was nice, some parts are rocky. saw a barracuda a few feet from shore.

The Pool was Freezing, but clean.

Food: The food was okay, we always found something to eat. We loved the snack bar, most of the time we ate the jerk chicken with fries or a beef patty.

The Staff: Super friendly and accommodating!

Our stay was pretty good, seems like a good place for families.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We went to Sunset Beach the second week of April, 2010, for 5 nights. Arrived at the airport @ 11:45 AM. My son (26 years old) was approached to buy the local crop about 20 minutes later. Our baggage was loaded into the Jamaica Tours transport van. He had his hand out before the last bag settled in the van. Tipped him $4. Saw the street vendors in Montego Bay along the way, as well as, a few famous shops, like Jimmy Buffets & the Bobsled Bar. Arrived at the hotel, and the driver announced, "Tips for the driver?" Tipped him $4.
We were greeted by Vernon, with a soft punch drink and a cool towel. Very nice man. We went to check in and found out our room was already set to go. Check-in was painless. The main lobby was open air and very inviting. There was the bar, tour info, gift shop, etc, all well-staffed.
We were given directions, but ended up asking a few staff members along the way. It seemed we were walking for quite a bit when we finally reached our room in the East wing. We were on the ground level with an oceanfront view.
On entry the room seemed small for 3 people. Two double beds with a dresser and a chair. Outdated. Sure, but was nice and clean. The bathroom needed renovation. A bit scraped up, but still clean. Water pressure in the shower wasn't very strong, but after a couple days of sun turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Not ones to utilize the dresser, we lived out of our suitcases. A flat screen would have been nice just to provide more room on the dresser. I haven't slept in a double bed in years, and being tall, gave me a challenge. But comfortable.
Opened the pull curtains and got exactly what we paid for. The beach was 25 feet from our sliding door. Couldn't have asked for better. And the beach bar was only 50 yards away! How could you not like it. We put on our sandals, climbed over the porch rail, and walked down to get our first taste. Dirty Bananas for the spouse and son, a Red Stripe for me.
I read the reviews about the beach being rocky. I'm not sure what resort they were at. The sand was thick and fine. If there were rocks, they washed in with the tide. There ware palapas all along this stretch, and if you wanted one, you need to be an early riser. Plus, it helps if all you have to do is climb over the porch rail. The staff spent a lot of time, periodically, cleaning & picking up empties on the beach.
We like to snorkel. This was the best, we have seen, so far, right off the beach. The water was crystal clear, with sand going out about 20 yards. After that, the kelp took over. Everyday, my wife would run across a starfish, just steps from the edge of the beach. She became the resident starfish handler. On day 4, a stingray came pretty close ( 25 ft) to the beach. Leave it alone and it'll leave you alone. Amazingly, the water was shallow quite a way out. I was easily 150 yds from shore and I could still stand up. There were a few deeper spots. Lots of rock formations out there, that provided some neat snorkeling. Didn't see anything large, but did see quite a few fish along the rock barrier. We did see lots of black, spiny urchins. Steered clear of those.
The beach activities were fun. My wife & son took a paddleboat out for a bit. There was also a snorkel type float that they used for giggles. They had small sailboats & snorkel equipment for guests. The best part of the beach is plain old people watching. We saw some folks that we knew were going to be in major pain the next day. The sun here will take its toll on you. It was 85 degrees on a daily basis. I'm still peeling here, and its 4/22/10.
We never hit the pools or the lazy river. But they were nice and well-maintained. The grounds were well taken care by my buddy, Bertram. He was out there every day in that hot sun, raking, watering, etc. He also brought my family some nesberries!!!
The entertainment needs some work. The house band just didn't seem excited about performing. The bass player did rock. The guest performers were a little more upbeat, but we could have used a more 'island flavor' to liven the night. That may be why the crowd was a little small. Suggestion- have a steel drum band every night, either on stage or somewhere on the beach. We were a bit surprised that, on bingo night, they charged $5 for bingo cards. For the amount of money we paid, and the prizes they were giving, they should have been free. The beach bonfire was fun. Get the coconut drink they offered and play guess this liquid.
The food in the Banana Walk was ok. It wasn't anything special, but we didn't go hungry either. Breakfast omelettes were very good, but the scrambled eggs could have been a bit less watery. Tried some dasheen one day. Not sure why. Nightly meals were served with white linen and wine. The staff really works hard.
We also ate at the Italian & the Asian Fusion restaurants. If you book a day or two ahead of time there isn't a problem getting reservations. The Italian was very good, even with Sinatra in the background, and Shannonovan was an outstanding server. The Asian restaurant was also very good. The Thai prawn soup was outstanding, if you like spicy.
Bar service was OK. Ask for more alcohol in your drinks, as they make them a little weak. Most of the bartenders were very pleasant, but some weren't exactly customer focused. The Dirty Banana was their speciality drink, but at times, when you requested one, it felt like you were interrupting their day. The beach bar would run out of bananas or beer, and it would be an hour or so before it was restocked.

Overall, we had a great time. Our room, smallness and wear aside, was perfect. The view and beach access were bar none. The staff was attentive. The grounds were very well groomed. The food adequate to good. We will go back.

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

Absolutely one of the best resorts in Mo Bay. All inclusive. Perfect ocean or mountainview. The staff is truly heaven sent. I've been there four times and would never pick another resort. Close ride to down town or hip strip. Great entertainment and food. If you are a first time Jamaica traveller I would hands down recommend this resort to you!!!!!!

Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

The service was great, the food was great. I have no complaints everyone was very nice. Nothing went wrong. If I go to jamica again I will be staying in Sunset Beach.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!