“weddings at sunset beach resort and spa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Vancouver Island
“weddings at sunset beach resort and spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

I was blown away...
First of all the pictures online do not give this place justice!
The resort was beautifull and very clean. We stayed in the ocean front rooms, which were really nice. They were not breath taking but we were happy and had nothing to complain about.
FOOD:
Outstanding, I was nervous because when I booked the trip the company rated it as a 4 star but others were rating it as a 3 star. The food was 5 stars.
The buffet was really good there were 3 stations with fresh hot food. The carving station- always had great food, the grill- fish, burgers, chicken, The pasta station- create your own.
Also lots of other amazing dishes served in the buffet.
Asian ala carte- DONT GO
Caribbean- entrees were amazing, I will never forget the jerk chicken with lemon grass sauce (didn't care for the appitizers or other dishes but everybody loved the mains)
Italian- Is a must, I would eat there every night.

THE POOLS:
Awesome, They had four pools, we spent a lot of time at the swim up bar and the kids pool. If I didnt have a baby I still would have been at the kids pool. Its a large lazy river where you can float around on tubes and relax. Also 2 water slides. All very clean.

THE BEACH: get there early to get your chair. The beach was awesome also the pictures did not give justice.

ENTERTAINMENT: was always fun to watch! Jameil you are amazing!! if you see him please tell him Kim and the 2 hollys and his god daughter Sophia say Hi!!
Damion (Allan) at the kids pool also a good guy!

WEDDING:
Mellesia: was amazing, responded very fast to my emails and was a great girl!
There was a letter from her with the meeting time at the front desk which we recieved at arrival. Our meeting was easy and fast.
I wanted a simple liad back wedding. I chose not to have any canapys or arches and was really happy. I was so worried about photos because I stuck with the resort photographer, but had no reason to be stressed.
The resort has about a dozen photographers all day and evening taking pictures of the guests. You can purchase them at the photo center in the main lobby. Our pictures turned out amazing.
THE SPA: was so so it needs to be updated. I was really happy with my hair and make up.

• Stayed January 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Polish first
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

I read the reviews about Sunset Beach Resort and went with the average. The price was right as we purchased our tickets during a sale. We had the ocean view room. Let's just start by saying "Ocean View" is viewing the ocean, not a Secrets Hotel under construction right next door, nor is it viewing all the cars coming in and out of the parking lot of the resort. First thing they should do there is ban car horns. Seems every car had to honk when they were leaving.
Let's get down to the review:
Good:
- close to the airport
- water park was a lot of fun for the kids.. and the adults too
- Grill served a good jerk chicken and hamburgers.. popcorn if you like to snack
- great icecream
- great eggs at breakfast.. the cook did them any way you liked
- Italian and Asian restaurants were good
- beach party night had the best food of any service
- drinks were tasty (but more in the bad)
- every thing in the room worked
- most of the time, pool lounge chairs were not saved early as they are at a lot of other resorts.
- elevators were fast (trying to find good things to say.. lol)

The Bad:
- HOTEL IS VERY DATED
- STAFF IS EXTREMELY RUDE starting from the front desk, bell boys, bar staff, buffet staff and so on. Want to mention though, the lifeguard at the waterslide and the older grounds keepers were friendly and very curtious.
- buffet didn't have much to chose from and was cold.... every time
- don't eat the bacon, never fully cooked
- mystery beef was like chewing a boot
- only fresh fruit for the drinks was bananas and pineapples
- water park had exposed live electrical wires everywhere. With curious young children around, someone is going to get hurt
- very bad current at the slides. While there, the lifeguard had to jump in about 4 times to rescue people. If you have small children, stay away from the one on the right unless they are strong swimmers. The current sucks you right back and if someone else is coming down the slide, they will crash into you or your child. Very bad design, it should be corrected.
- If you don't like to carry credit cards on your trips as I don't, make sure you bring 130.00 US in cash for the so called deposit for the towel cards and the safe key. (yeah, I was planning on taking them when I left)
- If you wish to use the internet service, there are only 8 computers to use and only 6 were working at any given time. You will usually have to wait unless you go early in the morning.

Now for the best one: Our last full day (we stayed from Feb 03 - Feb 10), my son and I were about to leave our room. I heard laughing and giggling outside our door (B-904). I looked through the peep hole and there was a bell boy sexually groping two of the cleaning ladies. He then placed their hands were hands shouldn't be placed in public.. and at a family resort I might add. This continued in the hallway for some time and the one woman didn't seem to want to let go.
The bell boy and cleaning lady then entered the storage room that was in clear view of our room and continued their sexual antics while the other stood at the door keeping watch. This went on until a group exited the elevator. We waited for the staff to leave and we were finally able to leave our room.
I am not a prude by any means but I have never (don't expect I ever will again) seen anything like that. This place is supposed to be a family resort. I have put in a complaint to the Vacation provider and also filled out the comment card at the Hotel detailing what I saw. I don't imagine I will here from either.
So a heads up if you wish to visit this resort. If you like cold food, syrupy drinks and enjoy seeing staff carrying on in a way that shouldn't be seen, then you will love it. If you don't enjoy what was mentioned, keep looking..
Happy hunting..

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
obessa, manager at Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Hello Our Valued Customer:

I have read your comments as posted on the Trip Advisor site and I thank you for taking the time to post this review.

At Sunset Beach Resort & Spa we use constructive reviews as training topics and also for disciplinary purposes. Please accept our apologies for the unpleasant incident witnised during you stay with us.

We appreciate the positive reviews and will use them to judge our staff response to continuous training and delivery of our product upgrades.

We sincerely hope you will return to experience the changes we have made in the areas of customer services and guests experience as we continue to offer families a complete stress free vacation.

Regards,

Glen Huntington
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

This is a great resort for couples and families. Near Montego Bay's Hip Strip,the resort has cozy feel, nice looking and centrally located.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Luck, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

My first time to jamaica and our travel agent recommended the sunset beach resort in montego bay. We travel in a group with friends and we go to a different place in mexico every year. This is the first time that we found a place that we all would go back to. The weather is perfect every day. The ocean is warm and lovely to swim and snorkel in. The food is FANTASTIC! Best food at an all inclusive resort we've ever been. French toast and crispy bacon for breakfast every day. Awesome baked goods and pastries. 3 layer cakes etc well you get the picture. Wraps great fries and the best chicken. The Italian place is hard to get in to but it is by far thebest meal I have ever eaten in my life. The hotel is a bit outdated but clean and large. Loved the water slides and lazy river!
The town is a bit scary and our trip to Bob Marley was unforgettable in more ways than one.
The downside is the night life. They play elevator music in the lobby bar with fake birds chirping. I think their theory is if they dont play lively music everyone will go to bed early and not drink ,thus making more money. It worked but we like more nightlife. Its jamaica already so play me some jamaican music! the snack bar is not so good except the ice cream machine yum!
great time great change from our usual mexico vacation. Next year back to puerta vallarta for some night life. Any suggestions where we should stay?!?
Our room was right above the disco so sleep was scarce.

Palatine, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

Compared to other resorts on island, the 20 min trip from the airport was extremely convienient. Negril and ocho rios took us 2 hours each way from mo bay. open lobby was nice. greeted with tropical drink. dirty banana is the best drink. garcia at the pool bar makes the best one. drink cup size was fine. wait staff friendly. buffet was better than ala carte restaurants. quite good. liked the asian and carribbean retaurants. didn't like the italian restaurant. resort has several nice pools. water was a little chilly. hot tub was luke warm most of the time. water slides more for kids not so fun for adults. hurt going down. pirate ship was closed. beach was fine. nude beach pretty empty. people on the next beach do gawk occationally. fence got torn down in a storm while we were there. snorkling was ok. not that good. saw starfish, sea urchins, few small fish, barracuda, sea anemony, coral. nothing like cozumel snorkling. got stung by somthing so bring sea safe lotion to protect. put vinigar on it and the burn went away. water was murky. lots of sea grass. can go out far from resort and is still shallow. offer paddle boats and kayaks. be carful where you go. we got stuck in coral. bring own mask and snorkle. only has a few to rent and in poor condition. don't think they sanitized them. room was very motel 6-ish. furniture in poor condition. dresser drawer broken. bathroom was spacious. needs updating. bed was okay. i've had worse. maid service was excellent as long as you tip $2 a day. i also left her a little gift everyday such as perfume samples and inexpensive jewelry. she thanked for the gifts everytime she saw us. it really made her day. hip strip 10 min drive from hotel. sona shopping center will pay your taxi there and back. our travel agent set that up. prices were reasonable can negociate. gift shop at hotel over priced. internet is $30 for the week. we did dunn's river falls, cliff diving at ricks cafe in negril, swam in glistening waters luminous lagoon, ziplining. everything was a blast and worth doing. Would definately go back to Jamaiica!

Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

This is so true. We are from Ontario and stayed in MoBay at Sunset Beach from Jan 30 to Feb 6. This resort was a hundred times better than the 4* we stayed in at D.R. Like everyone else says, only 15 minutes from the airport, which was wonderful, after the 4 hour ride in DR last year.

I can see why some people are upset about the rooms. We had 2 rooms, my daughter and I in one, my husband and son in the other. Both rooms were kept very well cleaned. But here are some of the differences. Our room was full of tiny little bugs in the bathroom. About 1/3 the size of a small ant. They didn't seem to do anything, and we didn't see them anywhere else except the bathroom, so we didn't say anything. My husband's room didn't have them. They had a digital air conditioner. We didn't, but ours worked perfect, except VERY noisy compared to theirs. They had a better tv and remote (who cares, right?), and our toilet rocked terribly and slammed loudly when you sat down. They also had a second curtain in their room, which didn't do anything, except maybe add some colour to the room. Our curtain was fine, kept out the lights of the resort, so no complaint on that one either. They had a hair dryer, we didn't. We don't use it anyway, so that didn't matter either. But our shower wasn't very good, although we always had hot water. It just kind of sprayed out in one spot unevenly, so hard to get a good shower. My husband ran out of hot water during one of his showers though. It looks like the rooms have been done in stages, and maybe their room was newer than ours? We stayed in the west wing, and walked right out in to the water park. We could have had adjoining rooms, my room had a door to the next one, but they put us side by side with a walkway between. That was ok, but not sure why they didn't just put us in adjoining. Maybe it was just because it didn't work out with the resort being full. I love that one whole wall of the room is window with a nice big patio door. The only problem with being on the garden is that you can't really open your curtain, because everyone walks by there. But still a nice view of the gardens, which are kept impeccable. We had a banana tree and mango tree right outside our door.

We were told the resort was at full capacity all week, but it never seemed crowded which was really nice. There were always chairs on the beach or at a pool. We spent most of our time at the water park, since it was outside our room. The water park was great. We didn't have a problem with the slide, but after reading that it hurts the back, we just sat up. It seemed lots FAST for me! The lazy river is great too. I swam it rather than sitting in a tube, but there were people of all ages in tubes on the river.

There seemed to be lots of activities during the day. Aerobics every morning at 8, aquabics every day at 11, all kinds of games like beer-pong, volleyball, crab races. They always had stuff at Mongoose too, but my 11-yr old daughter didn't take part in anything. It sure looked good, and I tried to convince her, but she'd rather go swimming. My son found a Canadian to hang out with, but they didn't really spend time at the teen centre either. They played a lot of ping pong though! WE got up at 6 am every morning and spent all day in the sun, so we were in bed EARLY, so I can't comment on the nightly entertainment. Tuesday night is the steel band, and it was really good.

No, there isn't miles of sandy beach, but we sat mostly at the farthest bar, closer to the nude beach, and the sand seemed the best there, you could go almost to your neck without hitting the weedy stuff, and no rocks at that end. Yes, water shoes are a good idea, there are some funny things swimming in there! The snorkelling was good though. There was a stingray there, but halfway through the week someone got brave and touched it, and it's dead and just floating there. Everyone seemed to be talking about the dead stingray. Lots of Canadians here, which was nice, but I also met a VERY nice group from Michigan who seemed to have a great week.

My favourite bartender was Craig, he was the first one to serve us, and was really good to us all week. Sasha is one of the staff who does orientation. She's great, and a great sense of humour. The staff was really good, and every time we walked by someone, they asked how our week was going, and if we were having a good time.

We enjoyed the food. The omelette station is amazing. This is going to sound weird, but the ketchup was great! In DR, the ketchup is really gross. We are big ketchup fans; for fries, eggs, burgers, potatoes. It rivals Heinz here! Very good. We didn't eat at the lunch buffet, rather grabbed a burger or hot dog if we got hungry. We also loved the Italian restaurant. My son was sent back to the room twice for dress code. Sometimes they enforce, sometimes they don't. They could be a little more consistent.

A few things that put me off.
The dress code thing. People were sent from the buffet because of shirts with no sleeves, while others were left alone. I heard a lot of complaints from other guests about that. We didn't have a problem at the buffet at all.
One of the last people to comment, said they were really pleased about the health and safety of the food, because that person is in the food industry. I agree with all that except for one thing. There is a "common" sugar bowl on the table in the mornings! What if someone licks their spoon and sticks it in the sugar?? It must happen with the amount of children at this resort. I'm a bit of a germophobe, and I did NOT like that one bit. We sat down one morning, and our sugar bowl was FULL of ants! That was really gross. I didn't use any sugar after that. I recommend grabbing a couple of sugar pats from some of the common coffee stations and bringing them to breakfast. If you are ok with the sugar bowl, then no worries for you. I didn't like that. It seemed kind of ironic, since there was such care given to the food.

Another thing that bothered me was the spa. I made an 11:00 appointment for my daughter for braids, and me for a body wrap. There is a strict policy at the spa, that if you don't cancel your appointment at least 2 hours in advance you pay anyway. And if you are late for your appointment, then your time gets cut short, whether you are done or not. I wanted to cancel my body wrap, so went to the spa about 5 minutes before opening at 9:00. I waited till 9:20, when they finally opened, and cancelled. They didn't charge me, so that's fine. We came back for my daughter's appointment at 11:00, and sat there 15 minutes, when they finally told me they were doing the braids on the beach, and to go there. We waited 40 minutes!! It's ok if they are running late, and make you sit and wait. They shouldn't have a policy like that, unless they are willing to make the same concessions for themselves. If you want to use the spa, don't bother with appointments, just show up. It won't be a problem.

Another thing is the restaurant reservation area. OMG, can they not computerize that somehow? I never stood in line for less than 10 minutes to make reservations. I've read other people's comments that they ate at the Italian all week, but they told us that we were only allowed to eat there once! I don't think that's really fair. So if they ask you if you've eaten there already (they asked me that), then just say no, whether you have or not.

The water is all drinkable which is good, but since we are on a well, we didn't really like the water, it tastes like city water. Fine if it's nice and cold with ice cubes. They provide you with an ice bucket, but there are no ice machines! You have to go to the bar and ask for ice. I didn't, I just drank it warm. They are really good at the bars too, and give you ice water any time. Same at each restaurant. No issues with water at all.

We did find out the day before we left, that fridges are available for $5 a day. So you can get one, you just have to pay for it. Bracelets, if lost, are $100 to replace. Be careful, they do come off!! My son's fell off, but thankfully he found it, and so we didn't have to pay. The phone calls are very reasonable, just buy yourself a "justalk" coupon. Great rates for Canada, something like 40 minutes for $10 US. Another Canadian family we met, hired a taxi driver named Norville at [--]. He was really good to them. Bought them a cell phone for $50 US with 1,000 minutes on it. Even gave them the bill to show them that was all he paid. He took them anywhere for $20 US. They really liked him. Then you can use the phone anywhere too.
It's $30 for unlimited internet, but the only place you can use that is in the lobby! They have 8 common computers you can use, or your laptop. But your laptop will only work in the lobby.

For unseasoned travellers like us, keep these things in mind. You are in the Caribbean, NOTHING runs on time! Buffet opens late, spa opens late, if you want something, don't be in a rush to get it! One couple we talked to, waited 3 hours for someone to come to their room to fix something. They will get there, but they are SLOW! You are on Jamaica time. There are no clocks, no radio in your room, just don't be in a hurry, and you will be fine.

Other things to tell you, that aren't necessarily just for this resort. Remember this: if their lips are moving, they ARE lying. If anyone (Garcia) tells you they know of a good driver (Elvis), DO NOT LISTEN!!! They are all out to rip you off, and they are not shy about it. And they have no problem taking money from kids either, so watch your teenagers' money!!! My son paid $30 for 4 batteries, from a vendor!! I didn't know till he got back, so couldn't do anything about it. If you are not good at bartering, don't buy anything at the flea market. Forget asking the locals for any help, they will get as much money as possible from you. The group from Michigan took JUTA tours, and got a wonderful driver named Thomas, who took them all over for 8 hours for only $25 per person. We paid Elvis $60, and got 2.5 hours and nowhere we asked him to go. So be VERY VERY VERY careful. I can't stress it enough. We went way over budget again this year, just by getting ripped off. We don't barter, so find someone who can help you do your shopping. We were not lucky enough to find t-shirts that were $20 for 8 of them. We paid $20 for 3 of them.

There is a great grocery store nice and close called the "Hi and Lo". Buy your booze there. They take Canadian too, but I don't know how the exchange would be, I used my Visa. It's really interesting to see the local foods in there, I recommend taking a trip. And if you want snacks or bottled drinks, it's definitely the place to go. It's like a liquor store and grocery store all in one. Wine, beer, hard liquor, and all the foods you would find in a supermarket.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

This was our first time to Jamaica and we loved every minute of it. We flew withSUNWING and although the plane rated in comfort with most, they did offer more complimentary amenities than the other carriers. The hotel was close to the airport and BEWARE!, in Jamaica, they drive on the left side of the road and for us Canadians it was a little un-nerving. The check in was ok, not slow, not fast. For our entire stay, we found the desk staff courteous and pleasant. The room was standard but clean.Bed was comfortable and we received extra pillows as soon as we requested them. AC worked the whole time. Had hot water and the cleaning staff was thorough and nice. we loved the staff on the whole and the groundskeeping staff were hilarious, especially Conroy. YA MON!. The food was really good .Loved the jerk chicken. As a certified food handler and dietary aide/cook, I really appreciated the adherence to food safety standards. Cold food kept on ice and hot food in steam tables and covered . No bugs anywhere.The beach and the weather was beautiful. If you like to snorkel, you won't be disappointed in what you see. I do recommend water shoes as the beach is a little pebbly in spots. We went on the tour to see YS River falls and Black River . YSFalls is beautiful . We also went on the COOL RUNNINGS trip and we had a great time .If you go , bring a waterproof camera . When they say you will travel up the falls, you walk up through them! . There are stairs for the less adventurous,but I recommend the direct route, what a blast. The vendors are fairly easy to wheel and deal with. Yes , the tour guides will ask in a nice way for tips, but they are not over the top .After our stay here, we will not be going back to places like Cuba or the Dominican . We did not get sick, and we came back with an unopened box of Imodiom . LOL. Loved it, had a truly relaxing time and other than missing our cats we did not really want to come home .I f you have read any negative reviews, do not be scared off, this resort is nice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!