“Nice Place - Will Return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Washington D.C.
“Nice Place - Will Return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2005

Nice place for the money. We were there for 5 nights just before Valentines Day. We went there to relax and we really did. Thought the food was good, both restaurants and the buffet. The place was kept clean. I agree with some of the reviews in that the bed was hard, but basically I thought the room was OK and the prices overall were very reasonable. I would go back. I know some people there were not happy, but there's always a better place, so I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. The one thing that got to me though was some of the guests -- there was one family that put their son (less than two years old) in the jacuzzi, which was very hot that night. I know the attitude of the place was no problem, man, but they should do something to protect kids from ignorant parents. The shopping trip to the city in my mind was not worth it -- too many people trying to sell the same stuff and trying to get you to buy pot.

• Stayed February 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (955)
  • Polish first
Waupun, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

My sister and I stayed at this resort to celebrate her 10 year bone marrow transplant birthday. We had a wonderful time. We only stayed for three nights (and that is not long enough). We had excellent service everywhere we went. The beach is a little rocky in spots, but you can walk the entire stretch of beach without shoes. You'll just need to walk around the rocks. There are plenty of lounge chairs for you to use at the beach. While we were there, the weather wasn't all that great. Don't get me wrong, anything beats snow and temps in the 20's, but it was really windy, and when the sun went under the clouds we had to cover up with our towels. Of course the day we left it was absolutely gorgeous. The water sports were closed when we were there due to the high winds, so I can't report on that, but they do have kayaks, paddle boats, and someone was talking about sail boats. The Chinese restaurant was very good with great service (try the Chicken stir-fry - yummy). Make sure you make reservations when you first check in. We didn't go to the Itailan restaurant, because they had a seafood buffet at the Bananna Walk Buffet that night, but I heard the Italian restaurant was even better than the Chinese. I would have liked to hear more reggae music. They mostly played american songs with a reggae style. It was kind of strange. The entertainment was pretty good. They had an Elvis show one night and that was very good. The drinks, service, location, everything was great. I would definately go back, but next time, for at least 4-5 nights.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

Sunset beach was a nice, laid back place. The drinks flowed freely, beautiful. The water was a bit cold both in the pool and ocean, but warmed up once you got used to it. There's only one hot tub, it's pretty big and all during the day it's swarming with young children so I can only imagine how much urine is floating around in it. If I saw them cleaning it maybe I'd be... more enticed. The buffet was good but what saved my --- was the amazing jerk chicken and grilled cheese sandwiches. MY GOD i love the jerk sauce!

Be sure to drink some of the fruit punch while you're there.

The rooms... some are nicer than others. We moved rooms during our stay to be higher up in the tower with an ocean view. it was a much nicer room the 2nd one we were in. The showers and water pressure do suck, but hey what are you going to do. Not of much consequence as it turns out.

I was expecting a lot more out of the snorkelling situation, but the water seemed to be fairly murky for a ways out... the diversity of fish wasn't what I was hoping for, but it was still lovely and fun.

I spent a good five days stoned off my ---, drunk, laying on the beach, it was like one long corona commercial. It was all totally lovely and I would recommend sunset beach to others. But it's true.. the nightlife is pretty non existant. And if you're female, and with your man, don't let him lose sight of you for a second because some of the bartenders are more than eager to suggest a short romp in the bushes. Hahahaha

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2005

My wife and i just returned yesterday from the Sunset beach resort and spa. Let me tell you this place was amazing. I have been to the caribbean 7 times before and this place did not disappoint. The first thing to remember is you make or break your trip. Go in with an open mind and remmeber your on vacation. The rooms were clean and spacious enough. We had an ocean front view room in tower A. Nothing beats rolling over in bed in the morning and seeing the crystal blue ocean and sun!! The staff were pleasant and friendly, i wanted to take some of them home with me. The food was great. I ate like a king. The beach grill had awesome jerk chicken, and grilled cheese. The was always something happening..beach volleyball, tennis lessons, drinking compitions, reggae lessons, etc.. The beaches themselves were great for snorkelling. I went out almost everyday and saw some truly amazing underwater scenery. The beaches have rocks and seaweed so do take along watershoes just to be safe. We did a cool catamaran trip with an open bar and awesome cruise staff. That was something to never forget. We also took a day trip to the Black River and YS falls which was pretty informative and gave you a good idea of how the Jamaicans go about their daily lives. You couldn't pay me to drive in this country though!!! It's NUTS!!!! All in all i had a blast. I mean what more could you want..sand, sun, and a unlimited supply YEAH MON to make your trip truly enjoyable. i stayed in Jamaican in 2000 at the Sandals Mo. bay and this place for the value can't be beat. I really can't find any negative things to say...maybe that's just me..i went with an open mind and found a place i truly enjoyed. Relax and have fun..your on vacation and God knows we have all earned it!!!! IRIE MON!!!! Oh yeah you have to try the food at the 2 a la carte restaurants, you won't be disappointed!!! email me if you have any questions.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2005

We stayed at the Sunset Resort from Jan 23, 2005 to Jan 31 2005. I was diappointed with the rooms, they definitely need an upgrade. You had to stand right under the shower head in order to get a shower. We ate at the two speciality restaurants and the food and service was excellent there but the food at the buffet was very bland. They need new toasters unless you wanted to wait 10 minutes to get your bread toasted. We found the clerks at the gift shop were not very friendly and didn't seem to care if they waited on you or not. The water in the pool was cold, people didn't even seem to be using it and the beaches were rocky. I had so looked forward to this vacation but I was disappointed.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2005

My husband and I were married at this resort and it was a dream come true. All we had to do was to pick out the flowers and some songs and the rest was taken care of. It was a beautiful ceremony. Everyone does their part to make sure the day is special. Natalie, the wedding coordinator, is awesome. My flowers were spectacular as were the pictures and the wedding video. I was very nervous about planning a wedding like this and deciding on which resort to bring my 38 guests. I made the right decision in choosing Sunset Beach. It was more than I imagined.

The resort has beautiful beaches and gardens. The grounds are kept very clean and manicured. The pool bars are a lot of fun, but it is true the pool was very cold. It got kind of cool at night maybe that is why the pools were so cold. The sea was definately warmer. The wait staff, bar tenders, housekeeping, and entertainment staff are great.

If you are planning a wedding here you won't be disappointed. This resort was great at accomodating our mixed group of people. We had children, teenagers, parents, grandparents and everything in between. We all had a great time. Once the waterpark is open this place will be even better!!

Elkridge, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2005

My husband and I were at Sunset Beach from 2/3-2/6 and had a great time. I, like many others, were a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews but this hotel was most definately worth the trip. Everyone was so nice and went out of their way to make sure we were happy. The rooms are basic--but they were cleaned daily and it was a decent place to lay our heads at the end of the day. The beaches are a bit rocky but the water was awesome! Bring water shoes because they're $15 in the gift shop!! The food was good--the omelettes in the Banana Walk were great and the jerk chicken at the Grill was mouth watering! We're already talking about going back and taking our kids next time. There was a mixture of people there--families, couples, groups, etc. It's a comfy place for anyone and everyone. If you've never been to Jamaica be prepared...it's a very poor country. Oh, and though we didn't have to tip at the Resort people outside of the resort will straight out tell you that you need to tip them and will let you know if they don't think you've given enough (took us by suprise!) but the employees of the resort are gracious for whatever you hand them. Loved it!!!

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!