“July 14-19th 2013 FAMILY VACATION FULL REVIEW” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Try The Oasis at Sunset
Ranked #18 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Carrollton, Texas
“July 14-19th 2013 FAMILY VACATION FULL REVIEW”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family and I just returned Sunset Beach in Montego Bay Friday. Complete review; first impression was a very prompt and courteous driver (Mr.Lindsay McFarlane / SNL Jamaican Tours /1-876-412-4298 /Jamaica Tourist Board Certified JTB Lic.# FM154). I put him in front of this review first and foremost because he will make your trip safe and relaxing for the entire family. Book with him in advance.
The Sunset Beach resort was a short ride from the airport. We were greeted with fruit drinks and a friendly staff. A fairly short check in process, we did online check in prior to arrival but still had to register onsite. We arrived in the mid afternoon and our room was ready after check in. My first impression was the place is a older but renovated. We stayed in tower A, 7th floor Oceanfront as reserved. Good size room for a family of 4, we took a 14 year old and a 2 year old. The room was clean, had a large balcony, nice views and overall very comfortable for us. Let's get the biggest complaint you will have out of the way; Internet sucks, you have to go to the lobby to use it, you get 30 min free and then pay different rates. I paid the $30.00 for the week. Somehow we got wireless in room A 709 so we didn't have to got to the lobby everyday. Pure luck on that I think. Next impression the food. OMG it was awesome. Say what you will about all inclusive resorts but I ate at the open buffet every single meal. It was just that good, very fresh, great variety, I loved it, the family loved it. Three other restaurants are on site as well and other guest raved about them. The drinks are also great, bring a large insulated glass for Red Stripe beer or an Appleton rum frozen drink... you will need them. They will make whatever you want at every bar and they are all very well laid out in location.
The beach area is mainly open family area on the resort property. Guest only are allowed (no pushy vendors anywhere). A few vendors are neatly set up in booths/tables at the hotel, none of them are approach you to buy there products. The large beach area has watersports, plenty of chairs and shade. Nice sands and clear waters mixed with some areas of vegetation as well. There is clothing optional beach, and a nude beach all safe with security guard at entry and well secluded from the other beach areas. We spent hours at the beach daily relaxing. The far end where the bar hut is at is the place to be. The resort has a teen club, and a kids club daycare. The kids enjoyed both.
We went on a day trip with Lindsay to Negril beaches. That was a fantastic day for all. Lindsay really knows where to take you. He offered us a half day or whatever we wanted. We chose an all day trip. The 7 mile beach is stunning. I have traveled to most Caribbean countries, this was a first to Jamaica. I loved it, what a great experience.
I went on a half day trip alone to golf. Lindsay took me to Cinnamon Hill golf course. I played a hot 9 holes with a very nice caddy named Wittney. Good Nike rental clubs. Spectacular views, ocean view holes, elevated holes overlooking vast green mountainous areas. Before golf Lindsay took me to a very nice gift shop that sold authentic Cuban cigars and specialty rums. Oh yea mon I did enjoy the day!
Checkout was easy. We really hated to leave and definitely will return. If you are looking for a great value in Jamaica and most importantly a safe, pleasant vacation. Call Lindsay before you go and stay at Sunset Beach Resort for a perfect FAMILY getaway.

John

Room Tip: Tower A is where we stayed. 709 is oceanfront. Large enough room for 4. Internet actually worked in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

4,068 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Polish first
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I joined 2 more couples for a 7 day get-a-way in Montego Bay, Jamaica. I'm usually the trip planner between my wife and I but I took the backseat on this trip and followed her and her friends direction. I must say I was a little leery of the low cost of the accommodations/meal plan ($1,600 per couple).

Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted with smiling faces from the amazing guest services staff. The Guest Services Mgr even took time to personally check us in and offered an additional room upgrade.

The all-inclusive meal and bar package was impressive for the cost. The bar actually had premium liquor brands that I was familiar with. We ate mostly on-property at the various outlets offered. The Asian and Italian themed restaurants were great (reservations needed).

While the hotel is not a 5-star property, the staff makes you feel as though you are staying at a brand new, high-end resort. This resort is perfect for a family vacation and is large enough to offer the privacy needed for a couples get-a-way.

Thank you to the Guest Services staff for making my first visit to Jamaica a memorable and relaxing trip.

PS: The Spa Services are inexpensive and just as good as the Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

When we went they took a day to get our room ready they gave us a guest room to stay in and, the pools were not cleaned! you could see leavers,bugs, their was even a piece of wig in the water!!! why was there a wig????

Room Tip: Higher rooms if you are not used to loud noise at nights
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

4 of my friends and I stayed at Sunset Beach Resort June 19-23rd. It was definitely a great stay with minor hiccups.

Check in was a breeze and the people were very nice. They welcomed us with drinks while we checked in and immediately took our bags up to our rooms. The rooms very definitely standard, and if you are expecting a 5 star room with all of the amenities this is not the place for you. We had two joining rooms that were okay. The bathrooms were older with a lot of caulk in the corners. You can tell a lot of people have taken showers there! Overall the rooms were clean and the air conditioning worked. In the other room joining to ours my friends had issues because of ants were in their bathroom. The ants were coming out of all of the corners and even through the lights in the ceiling. Maintenance did come and spray which subdued the ants somewhat but they were still there. We never saw any ants or other critters in our room.

The beach is nice, I went various times of the day and was always able to snag a beach chair and umbrella. We also kayaked and snorkeled which was a breeze. I will say that although the beach was beautiful, there was a lot of seaweed which felt yucky on my feet.

The food!!! The food was AWESOME. Truly the highlight of my trip. Everyday I was excited to go to the buffet! There is the main buffet and three other restaurants, and a late night snack spot which served burges, fries, and sandwiches. There was one Caribbean, one Italian, and one Asian restaurant. We only ate at the Asian restaurant, which was very good, but not very filling because portions sizes were very small. That night we ended up going to the buffet right after the restaurant. The buffet has everything anyone could want. Soup, salad, fruits, everything. It was always fresh and I love that they did serve a lot of Jamaican food and did not Americanize everything. The french toast is to DIE for!!

They did have nightly entertainment and a lot of activities including Water Zumba. They were very fun. There is a lot of different pools and we were always able to find a quiet spot to ourselves to sit by the pool even surrounded by a lot of children.

One downside that is not the resorts fault is cell phone service. Apparantly Jamaica has their own cell network so my service and every other tourists phone COMPLETELY didn't work. The hotel sold phone cards for $5 for 30 minutes, and WIFI cards I think for the same price. Not too bad but still a bit waresome if you're the type that's on your phone like crazy like I am.

My friend and I got massages which were awesome! They had a special which was two massages for $150 and it was great! You could upgrade for about $30 to have the massages outside but we didn't because of the heat and nakedness.

Overall it was an amazing girls trip and I can't wait to go again. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Mostly every room has a great view regardless of where you stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Mount Orab, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay, I went solo as a girl for 8 days. Got right into my room and found there was no mini bar with water bottles. (bummer) climbed into bed and the bed was hard and no comforter! Just a sheet, thin blanket, sheet. Whatever. The breakfast was good, I ate the French toast everyday though. I loves the Asian restaurant, the Italian..not so much. I've had better lasagna. I recommend the spring rolls at the Asian place! So good! I enjoyed the beaches, so beautiful! I loves how you could take a chair and lay in the ocean. I spent most my time on the beach instead of the pool. The daily activities are more for children I feel like and they are the same pretty much daily. I got bored a few times. The nightly entertainment was mostly singing....enjoyable but could use more variety. Overall liked my stay and the staff is great. I was a but disappointed they didn't let you take food on the beach or around the pools or have pool side service. You can't be wet to get a drink at the bar in the auditorium area.

• Stayed July 2013
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the Sunset Resort over the July 4th weekend. Although we had a great time I must admit that after taking connecting flights (thanks Expedia >:-/) to MoBay I was a little frustrated that we had to wait about 45 minutes until our room was ready. We were extremely fatigued so we needed to just take a nap.
Once we arrived to our room (Sunset Tower A room A514) we were a little put off by the condition of the furniture. The lamp shades appeared old and rusty. Shower curtain was ripped and there appeared to be rips and cigarette burns on the balcony curtain as well, air conditioning unit was not working to full capacity but it cooled me enough. No fridge and no ice machine or beverage machine on the premises. You have to go down to the lobby bar to get ice. Kind of an inconvenience. We weren't expecting grand luxury but we didn't expect this either. In any case the beds (full size) and pillows were very comfortable and our view was really breathtaking. Good job, Sunset!
I enjoyed the pool very much although I'm not sure if they clean it out throughout the day as sometimes I'd find dead bugs and other particles floating around in there. My biggest complaint about the pool area is that too many kids play in there and I honestly thought the lazy river and water park areas were designated for them. Yet it seemed they all came to the main pool area instead. Beach is very pretty and relaxing but shoreline is very limited so no long romantic walks for you lovebirds. Bring water shoes as the little pebbles under water can hurt your feet. Food selection at the Banana Walk buffet was satisfactory. Cups are the size of sippy cups so you've been warned. I do remember one night they served curry pork with pineapple and that was REALLY good!!!!
The resort offers shuttle buses that take you to clubs if you are in the mood for a little Jamaican night life. My friend and I went to Margaritaville. Interesting experience to say the least. They also take you to another club that I heard good things about called Pier 1 and it's right on the water. Didn't get a chance to go there, though. Overall my experience at Sunset was a positive one. Staff was very friendly, always smiling and helpful. I do miss the ambience of the resort and how relaxed and happy people were. And I certainly miss the view from my hotel balcony. It beats the view I currently have from my apartment any day!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had my family trip here over the July 4th holiday. Party of 6, all adult wanted to spend a relaxing weekend under the sun, ended up not getting too much of a quality from this resort.

I did the online check in as well as contacted the hotel via email prior to my arrival to make dinner reservation as recommended. The online check in did not speed up any of the check in process as the same form I completed on line at the hotel web site was given to me AGAIN upon check in. When I asked, the staff responded that because the form contains sensitive information. Well that is really not true, because it is the SAME form, but I didn’t feel like arguing with her to ruin my vacation that way. The emailing back and forth with the hotel guest service staff was unless as well. The “so-called” confirmation email from them to confirm my dinner reservations were changed without informing me. I discovered that the restaurant and dinner time were changed without my agreement when I went to retrieve my voucher. When I questioned, the staff first did deny it is an error, then after I showed him my conformation email he told me because the restaurant closes on the days I requested so he rearranged it for me. Well then what is the confirmation email for? And thanks for not letting me know that my reservations were re-arranged!

Worst yet, after dined in all of the restaurants (there were only three anyways), none of the restaurants offer great food that is worth my trouble to pre-book or even make reservation for. In addition, I found the restaurants were not packed at all (they only have seating at 6pm and 8pm). Because they only offer seating at 6 and 8, those time when guests arrived we will have to wait in line to be seated because they were short staff to handle the burst of guests who showed up all at the same time as instructed. I have no idea the purpose of making reservations and the restricted seating time. It just added more trouble to the guest. I never expected much from a buffet, as predicted the venue where the buffet is offered cafeteria quality food. Consider it is a buffet it did not have a lot of choices neither. What I don’t like the most about is the cleanliness at the buffet area. Because the seating area and the buffet area are both under semi open spaces, my meals were accompanied by lots of flies and mosquitos. O did I also mention of the cats? I know about the cat by reading reviews but didn’t expect that to be as bothersome as it did. There are a few cats that strolled around the buffet dining area. Even tho I don’t hate cats, I didn’t like the idea the cats were around looking for food, kids were playing with them which is odd as a resort.

Each day there is a drink special where every bar offers (is pre-mix anyways), however as an all-inclusive resort, they offer very small verities in cocktail drinks. For example I asked for a mojito, no bar is able to make me one, then one time I asked for a cosmo the bartender had to ask another bartender because he doesn’t know how to make one.

The catering service is not a pleasant neither. I understand work is work, but if you are working in a hospitality industry, you better put on a simile right? Most of the catering staff there I encounter don’t simile, and some even have an attitude, I did not enjoy that a bit. However I do feel bad for the night (on Sat night) where chefs were grilling pork jerks and chicken outdoor under the hot weather by the grill. I do applause them! I requested to stay at Tower A after reading some of the reviewer comments from tripadvisor thinking that is the quietest room. Well to my surprise, I could still hear loud and clear the band played at night. I thought the resort had renovated the tower rooms not long ago, but the rooms were still pretty beat up, things are broken etc. When I spoke with my shuttle driver, he told me that this hotel is the oldest in town, I suppose that explains why everything is broken in the facility.

Resort price is slightly cheap then some of the other resorts in the area, but I would rather pay the couple hundred more to get a descent resort for my vacation next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!