“Seawinds as was ....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Seawinds as was ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at Seawinds in 1993 and can say that it was a pretty average hotel .... Had no problem off complex but that was then ....
Fast forward a few years, rebranded, money invested, 100% improvement .... Same room layout but décor and appearance vastly better, the food was good then, now excellent, no need to go off complex, although a trip to the Bob Marley Museum is recommended and Dunns River Falls a definite, Ricks café at Negril's is good, do the cliff jump, men keep your ankles and knees together, don't ask why ....
The beaches, well it's the Caribbean, what's to say..... superb ....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (955)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I had a girls trip for my 30th birthday and could not have been more impressed with this resort. It is extremely msecure for those who may be worried about such details.
From the time I checked in to the time I checked out the staff could not have been more proffessional and kind. I had a wonderful experience with Marlene and Carlene. I believe Carlene is one of the managers. She went out of her way to contact a restaraunt in town for me to see if they had a specific dish I wanted.
At the excursion desk I had a wonderful experience with Arnese.
I was there for pleasure but also to check out the scenery for my brother and sister in law who are travel agents. They are actually booking someones vacation to jamaica as i type and i highly recommeded they have the client stay at this resort.
A great thing also about staying here is they have shuttles to the hot spots which saves alot of money since the local cabs do kind of extort tourists. One cab driver was telling another local they got 90USD from a group of four just to take them from margaritaville to their resort. I feel that the free shuttles the hotel provides are an excellent perk.
The resort does not provide airport tranaportation but i found Jaital to be the cheapest. $10 one way from the airport to the hotel.
Nightly entertainment was great. There was a steal band perform one night and it was magnificant.
The rooms were great. Every room had a beautiful view.
I will absolutely return to this hotel and anyone who books through my brothers travel agent will most definitely be steered towards this resort.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had a girls trip for my 30th birthday and could not have been more impressed with this resort. It is extremely secure for those who may be worried about such details.
From the time I checked in to the time I checked out the staff could not have been more proffessional and kind. I has a wonderful experience with Marlene and Carlene. I believe Carlene is one of the managers. She went out of her way to contact a restaraunt in town for me to see if they had a specific dish I wanted.
At the excursion desk I had a wonderful experience with Arnese.
I was there for pleasure but also to check out the scenery for my brother and sisyer in law who are travel agents. They are actually booking someones vacation to jamaica as i type and i highly recommeded they have the client stay at this resort.
A great thing also about ataying here is they have ahuttles to the hot spots wh i ch save alot of money aince the local cabs do kind of extort tourists. One cab driver was telling another local they got 90USD from a group of four just to take them from margaritaville to their resort. I feel that the free shuttles the hotel provides are an excellent perk.
The resort soes not provide airport tranaportation but i fo u nd Jaital to be the cheapest. $10 one way from the airport to the hotel.
Nightlt wntertainment was great. There was a steal band perform one night and ot qas magnificant.
The room were great. Every room had a beautiful view.
I will absolutely return to this hotel and anyone who books through my brothera travel agent will most definitely be steered towards this resort.

• Stayed June 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort on 6/15-6/20 with our 2 grand daughters (9,12). The check in was easy. I did prerigister as others advised, but it was not that busy at the desk. I also made resevations for the A La Carte restaurants the same day we checked in. Note: They only allow you 3 reservations within a 7 day period. This was OK with us since the Buffet has enough choices to keep you fed. The food was average resort buffet food. The Asian restaurant was the best. The outside dnners with entertainment were superb.

The room, A804 had beautiful views. The A/C did work, but made a horrible vibrating noise at night time. I advised the front desk and it appeared that someone looked at it, but the problem persisted. We chose to deal with wedging a washcloth in it to reduce the noise, but it had to be "adjusted" every couple of hours. We did not want to change rooms.

The housekeeping crew did a great job. The bar staff and food staff did a great job too. Everyone was always cheerful and helpful. Were there opportunities for improvement? Yes, but all in all things were as expected.

Some of the property is a bit run down ( the water park had closed off hot tubs going up the steps to the slides that were crudely boarded up, the water feature inside of the main lobby was not working), but I feel that this is an ownership issue, not a management issue. The seaweed should have been better managed in the swimming areas.

The entertainment was great. The water park was very child oriented.

My only big complaint is the amount of cats that roam free at night time, walking on dining room tables and all around the place. Some looked sickly.

Would we go back again? Yes, but would stay in the cabana rooms ocean front

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Falmouth, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

When we 1st got off the plane heading towards the resort I was nervous the houses were really run down. At the resort we had a couple of issues that were resolved right away. The staff was wonderful, they treated you like family. The resort does need some TLC but it isn't falling apart. The hotel manager Mr. Leon Golding was so helpful along with Ms. Perry and this other manager I forgot her name but she had short blonde hair and was always on top on things. Theodore who bought are bags to our room would always say hi when he ran into us, Stephen who helped me several times with the internet which only works in the lobby area but there is plenty of room there. I wasn't thrill with the food because I am a picky eater and do not like spicy food and the chief actually made me a Casear Salad on several occasions. In the morning they usually have the same stuff for breakfast but plenty to choice from the lines at times would be long but went by fast, James could make 6 orders of eggs, anyway you wanted at once. It is very kid friendly and some people didn't care for that, it didn't bother me I enjoy seeing their little faces having such a good times. They acted better than some of the younger adults. They clean the pool every day. If you want to go swimming on the beach you should go to the very last one before the topless/nude beach. Bring a raft with you so much fun. The only huge problem I had is with booking a tour with JAMAICA TOURS that was a nightmare, book directly with the front desk or with TLC she has a table across from where the woman form Jamaica Tours is. The Italian restaurant is excellent I actually ate there 4 times you may want to as for double portion cause they are small. The drinks are excellent but I would recommend you bring a good size mug with you, my was fill with water. The glasses are very small. The bartenders are so friendly. I wouldn't do Dunn River's Fall again too much climbing for me. I did go to Rick's Café and actually jump off the 35ft cliff that was awesome would do that again. 13 days was perfect had plenty of time. I just got thru reading WyomingSmokey review they were one of the wonderful couples we met. When they ask for someone to go one to the stage go you will have so much fun. If you go please tell the hotel mgr Leon room B1013 said hi and will see him & the rest of his staff in 2013. Bring a camera the sunset is beautiful one couple we met forgot their & it was expensive in the store. The prices in the gift store were reasonable

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

overall i think this resort is great for the price. very good for families with childIren of all ages. the only things I didnt like was the selection of food in the buffet. The night entertainment needs to be more professionally organised, there were moments when there was supposed to be a show and nothing started on-time and it was dead air instead of a filler. but my family and i would surely return.

Room Tip: west side is great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and two children just got back after 5 days there. The rooms are simple, but nice. I think many of the negative reviewers need to realize this is not a 5 star resort. A $3-$5 tip can go a long way. We were on the 10th floor of the A tower with an oceanfront room (not ocean view, but ocean front - they are different). They have tons of activities going on, so depending on the room you have it could be a bit noisy at times during the evenings. The food tasted delicious, not greasy or anything. There were omlet and pasta stations, and they make some of the best french fries ever! There's always some sort of chicken, pasta, pork/beef with lunch and dinner, but they were always different versions of it. Breakfasts were always the same dishes, but they were still good. My only complaint of the entire trip was that they ran out of clean towels at the pool hut, but it was an hour before they closed for the evening, so that's to be expected! All in all we were very happy with this trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!