“Has 4 Star Potential” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Try The Oasis at Sunset
Ranked #19 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Baltimore, Maryland
“Has 4 Star Potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort on 6/15-6/20 with our 2 grand daughters (9,12). The check in was easy. I did prerigister as others advised, but it was not that busy at the desk. I also made resevations for the A La Carte restaurants the same day we checked in. Note: They only allow you 3 reservations within a 7 day period. This was OK with us since the Buffet has enough choices to keep you fed. The food was average resort buffet food. The Asian restaurant was the best. The outside dnners with entertainment were superb.

The room, A804 had beautiful views. The A/C did work, but made a horrible vibrating noise at night time. I advised the front desk and it appeared that someone looked at it, but the problem persisted. We chose to deal with wedging a washcloth in it to reduce the noise, but it had to be "adjusted" every couple of hours. We did not want to change rooms.

The housekeeping crew did a great job. The bar staff and food staff did a great job too. Everyone was always cheerful and helpful. Were there opportunities for improvement? Yes, but all in all things were as expected.

Some of the property is a bit run down ( the water park had closed off hot tubs going up the steps to the slides that were crudely boarded up, the water feature inside of the main lobby was not working), but I feel that this is an ownership issue, not a management issue. The seaweed should have been better managed in the swimming areas.

The entertainment was great. The water park was very child oriented.

My only big complaint is the amount of cats that roam free at night time, walking on dining room tables and all around the place. Some looked sickly.

Would we go back again? Yes, but would stay in the cabana rooms ocean front

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

4,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (802)
  • Polish first
Falmouth, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

When we 1st got off the plane heading towards the resort I was nervous the houses were really run down. At the resort we had a couple of issues that were resolved right away. The staff was wonderful, they treated you like family. The resort does need some TLC but it isn't falling apart. The hotel manager Mr. Leon Golding was so helpful along with Ms. Perry and this other manager I forgot her name but she had short blonde hair and was always on top on things. Theodore who bought are bags to our room would always say hi when he ran into us, Stephen who helped me several times with the internet which only works in the lobby area but there is plenty of room there. I wasn't thrill with the food because I am a picky eater and do not like spicy food and the chief actually made me a Casear Salad on several occasions. In the morning they usually have the same stuff for breakfast but plenty to choice from the lines at times would be long but went by fast, James could make 6 orders of eggs, anyway you wanted at once. It is very kid friendly and some people didn't care for that, it didn't bother me I enjoy seeing their little faces having such a good times. They acted better than some of the younger adults. They clean the pool every day. If you want to go swimming on the beach you should go to the very last one before the topless/nude beach. Bring a raft with you so much fun. The only huge problem I had is with booking a tour with JAMAICA TOURS that was a nightmare, book directly with the front desk or with TLC she has a table across from where the woman form Jamaica Tours is. The Italian restaurant is excellent I actually ate there 4 times you may want to as for double portion cause they are small. The drinks are excellent but I would recommend you bring a good size mug with you, my was fill with water. The glasses are very small. The bartenders are so friendly. I wouldn't do Dunn River's Fall again too much climbing for me. I did go to Rick's Café and actually jump off the 35ft cliff that was awesome would do that again. 13 days was perfect had plenty of time. I just got thru reading WyomingSmokey review they were one of the wonderful couples we met. When they ask for someone to go one to the stage go you will have so much fun. If you go please tell the hotel mgr Leon room B1013 said hi and will see him & the rest of his staff in 2013. Bring a camera the sunset is beautiful one couple we met forgot their & it was expensive in the store. The prices in the gift store were reasonable

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

overall i think this resort is great for the price. very good for families with childIren of all ages. the only things I didnt like was the selection of food in the buffet. The night entertainment needs to be more professionally organised, there were moments when there was supposed to be a show and nothing started on-time and it was dead air instead of a filler. but my family and i would surely return.

Room Tip: west side is great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and two children just got back after 5 days there. The rooms are simple, but nice. I think many of the negative reviewers need to realize this is not a 5 star resort. A $3-$5 tip can go a long way. We were on the 10th floor of the A tower with an oceanfront room (not ocean view, but ocean front - they are different). They have tons of activities going on, so depending on the room you have it could be a bit noisy at times during the evenings. The food tasted delicious, not greasy or anything. There were omlet and pasta stations, and they make some of the best french fries ever! There's always some sort of chicken, pasta, pork/beef with lunch and dinner, but they were always different versions of it. Breakfasts were always the same dishes, but they were still good. My only complaint of the entire trip was that they ran out of clean towels at the pool hut, but it was an hour before they closed for the evening, so that's to be expected! All in all we were very happy with this trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Torrington, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in June 2013. The service was excellent and the people providing it were courteous, happy, friendly, and genuinely tried to make sure our vacation was a good time with "no problems, mon!" All the bar staff, beach staff, wait staff, and bell staff went above and beyond for us. Our room was supposed to be mountain view and we lucked out. We got a room on the side that viewed the beach and the mountains. We didn't pay for an upgrade because we only planned to sleep in the room. The room was comfortable and cleaned well every day. One negative, for some: the tv didn't have any programming the one time I turned it on out of curiosity. The beach was raked daily, the staff more than happy to accommodate you with kayaks, snorkel gear, hobie cat, or paddle boats. One just has to sign up in advance for a specific time and all is good. The excursion desk was very helpful in facilitating our adventures. I recommend the "Cool Runnings" catamaran trip from Ocho Rios to Dunn's River Falls with stop to snorkel on the reef. The nightly entertainment was geared toward a "family" audience until about 9 pm. We didn't try the water park but heard people of all ages saying it was fun. The food was excellent on the buffet. We tried Byron's, the Jamaican restaurant on the property and found it to be OK but I liked the food on the buffet better. We missed our reservation for the Italian restaurant so I can't comment on that one. We had a great time! Hope you like RUM!

Room Tip: We had a south side room on the 5th floor. No upgrade needed and view of the beach and mountains!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Myself and Wife stayed 9 days. The value of the stay was very good, the service was Excellent, staff was always very help full and ready to take care of you. the rooms were very nice and clean all the time. the daily activity's were very nice and kept you busy at the resort, The food was the down side to us, not as big of a verity as we have had at other resorts we have gone to but good none the less. I would recommend this resort to anyone going to Jamaica.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay at Sunset, the food was a little different for my taste spicy! There will be plenty of food!! Please try the restaurants on site the Italian one was the only one I was able to try and it was a very nice place and the good was delicious, reserved as soon as you get there so you will be able to try all 3. The Beach was awesome the water park needs some fresh paint and a good scrub, great place for a family vacay they have activities for the kids which I thought was great. The food there is very different and I had stomach problems :( I just wasn't use to it over all a great resort try it!! yeah mon! Iol

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!