“Girls holiday to Jamaica” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
SAVE BIG THIS FALL!
Ranked #20 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Girls holiday to Jamaica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was impressed by this hotel for value for money - to be honest we were 2 Brit girls on search of an adventure whilst in New York so we jumped on a flight to Montego Bay and booked the Sunset Hotel to check out montego bay and then spent 4 nights in Negril to ensure we saw as much as Jamaica as poss.

The hotel was super clean, staff were friendly and welcoming but i dont think they can go as far as calling the hotel a 'spa' ! i had a facial and it was pretty old school and basic but nice none the less!

The entertainment was average - perfect for young families but i think it was a bit lame for adults we just consumed strong drinks and went to bed to make the most of the days.

The private beach was STUNNING and activity wise in the day theres lots to do. We went on a day trip to mystic mountain and was promised a lunch at the sister hotel which er never happened but instead we got a cheeseburger! The tour guide Patrice seemed like she was fed up and wanted to go home but luckily we had a great group and made the most of the day, it was a nice opportunity to meet other people on vacation.

Overall food was nice, beach was beautiful, we always got a sunbed, staff were friendly, rooms were spacious safe and clean.

The hotel could improve its entertainment and communication to let people whats going on when, it could offer wifi for the whole complex instead of only at the reception and it could provide a cocktail menu!!

IF you're looking for a chilax then this is the place to go but i would recommend staying in both montego bay and negril to get the best of beautiful jamaica!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

4,126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Polish first
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have a family of five that traveled for spring break a full week. We did use a travel agent, hard to find a resort to accomidate 3 kiddos and 2 adults...our first room was ridiculous "Bayview" it was way to small we had to ask for a rollaway and once they added it to our room with the two double beds (not queen!) we couldn't even open the sliding door and could hardly move around. After talking with the front desk more the once they moved us the next day to a better room (which took the whole day!) by the water park. This room was bigger again two double beds plus bunk beds. BUT it smelt very musty and the ac hardly worked at all (even the cleaning lady complained it was hot). The food was average, the same every day not much of a variety at all. The entertainment was good the first two nights but after the second night it was the same entertainment all week! Nothing new, weird and disappointing. The staff was nice but not overly friendly at all. When you would go up to the bar there was no personal interaction at all...they asked "what do you want" makes the drink and sets it down. Not even much of a smile, disappointing. We would of appreciated more of an effort. Overall my husband and I have stayed at much better resorts we were disappointed...our children really didn't know any different and enjoyed their time besides the not cool room to sleep in at night! I would recommend a different resort for the money we spent, wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: If you have a large family go for the rooms (water park) with the bunk beds for more room.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have to start by saying I am not an all-inclusive person, however, I would return because this place was fantastic. The entire staff was friendly and seemed to really want you to have a good time. There are so many things to do, each person can be satisfied. They really seem to cater to little ones but it didnt bother us. There are enough beaches so you can avoid annoying people.
I want to mention a few of the staff that stood out to us but I'm sure I am missing some... Shaudae, LaToya, Leon, Sheree, and Junior. I also really enjoyed the guy and girl Reggae Zumba instructors.
My husband and I took advantage of the candlelight dinner for two one night. It's extra but totally worth it. They had a candlelit walkway to a candle covered table strewn w flower petals. The 4 course dinner was wonderful as we sat under the stars.
We had 4 teens between the ages of 14-17. They loved snorkling right off the beach and the lazy river. One complaint was there are few tubes for the lazy river, but when you DID get one it was very relaxing.
I usually don't like buffets but the Jamaican food was delicious. The specialty restaurant dinners are good as well. I recommend you make reservations as soon as you can. I also ask you to let the restaurant know if you won't make it. It would help the rest of us get in. There were tons of empty tables from no shows.
I could not have been more relaxed during my vacation.

Newmarket, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

With many trips to the carribean and central America over 40 years it was a pleasure to return to Jamaica for the third time. The Airport is super efficient both coming and going, much nicer than the countries with military, machine guns and dogs. Best of all no "time share hassles". Check in was the usual for an all inclusive. The rooms were renovated like new with all having a good view of the resort & beach. What sets this country apart from many others is the smiling and hard working Jamaican people which makes any holiday more enjoyable. This resort lives up to its 4 star rating, we enjoyed the spare buffet, it always had beef, chicken, pork and fish made up in different ways each day. Reading other negative reviews, do you really expect elephant and ostrich to show on the menu? Breakfast has the best and most entertaining omelet prep centre of any resort, one cook manning 6 pans at once it is a pleasure to watch. The salads and fruit are always fresh, you make up your own plate, from grim experience I know that prepared salads contain yesterdays leftovers and are always a source of food poisoning and should always be avoided. The kids club here is the best I have ever seen, the kids put on a carnival parade complete with a marching band brought in for the occasion marching to where there was another band waiting for them as they competed with each other for the best group presentation, of course the pre schoolers won. Huge entertainment staff made it a pleasure to watch. As a two time Denge Fever sufferer I did not have to worry at this resort, the insect control here is great. Nightly entertainment was above average, Jamaicans know how to put on a good show and did not dissapoint. I am recommending this resort to all who want an easy laid back holiday.

Room Tip: Try to be in the two story section of the resort rather than the high rises.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
la
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a mini family reunion at Sunset Beach and it was a blast. The hotel caters to families and kids are able to play freely and pool with two amazing slides and lazy river was fun for all. Will be returning in June for more family fun.

The hotel has done some refurbishing of their rooms, which is nice, stayed in the bay view rooms which were nice, but sometimes the elevators did not work, so that was a bit of an inconvenience, this trip we will be staying in the water park rooms.

The food was great very authentic Jamaican food and lots of it, their salads were spectacular and the desserts were wonderful.

Nightly entertainment needs some improvement. Overall this is a great hotel, a home away from home kind of a place and if you are looking for the true Jamaican experience then this is your place.

Room Tip: Water park rooms are the best or the Cabanas, not elevators needed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here with a group of 19 friends. I travel throughout the world often. I've stayed at the best of the best hotels to those that are mediocre. I was skeptical at first due to the reviews, but I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is clean, open and inviting. The food and entertainment was good. The drinks were great. The staff was nice and pleasant. Yes, the hotel may need some fresh paint in areas, but unless you plan on spending your entire vacation in the hotel elevator or in the stairwell (which is where some paint improvements are needed) then you'll be good.

Our check in was fast since we came as a group. Even when some rooms weren't available a few of us got our rooms upgraded. I was disappointed with the shopping tour though. We asked if it would go to the shops at Rose Hall (because we were looking for a specific Movado watch which was only sold over there) and we were told yes. However, the shopping tour didn't go there. We were taken only to stores that they had pre-negotiated with. We did get good deals on some souvenirs, but be honest with your customers.

Vacations are what you make of it. For many of the ladies traveling, this was their first time to Jamaica and they enjoyed themselves. So, if you're looking for a cost effective, clean, safe and fun vacation then stay here.

Room Tip: I stayed in B104 and the young lady who was my housekeeper was great. I was offered to change rooms...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed there with 3 kids, kids enjoyed a lot water park, it's great, also 7-year old loved their kids club, he spend there a lot of time, they did a lot of gaming, playing outside and he loved it; Rooms very standard nothing special about it, the only thing I didn't like that rooms don't have refrigirator and there is no bottled water provided in the rooms; so at night if you want to drink something you have to get something from the bar and keep it in your room; Staff in resort amazing, very friendly, trying to accomodate everything we asked for; Gym is very old and not enough equipment for everyone to accomodate; Beach has a lot of weeds, not very clean, I was kind of disappointed about it. Nice pools, one has bar inside; There is a lot of different kind of activities throught resort like zumba, snorkling, night entertainment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!