“Only good because of Slides” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
New York City, New York
“Only good because of Slides”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Food not healthy, nothing for vegetarians, very limited in variety and make sure come early otherwise will have leftovers....if any...no good bakery,cheese only American come on and no bananas!!!
Had to take my son to the doctor, was ok, but took 4 requests/days and complain to the customer services manager to get a doctor's note.
Resort has many stray cats on premises and with so many kids it is not safe, I felt very uncomfortable seeing cats sitting on beach chairs next to the dinning area.
On a good note, water sports and people great...take Caribbean airlines to safe almost days.
Internet is only in the lobby and cost $30 for a week, not sure about speed.

Room Tip: Tower B quieter and pref if travelling with kids
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Polish first
Spring Lake, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Please note that my fiance and I traveled here with another couple and there 9 year old son. We were originally supposed to be in ocho rios at the sunset jamaica grande however, Delta vacations (I would advise against booking with delta vacations) called us 5 days prior to take off and stated that they overbooked the jamaica grande and that they were sending us to sunset beach. Although we traveled from March 28, 2013- April 6, 2013 and booked in august 2012. They reimbursed us some of our money because of the relocation. I was not upset but the other coupled had been to this resort in the past and wanted to try something new.

Now on to the resort. Overall a nice place to stay. First impressions were great, beautiful open lobby area and view of the mountains. Check in was a breeze and only took 15 minutes and rooms were ready. The outside of the hotel could use a coat of paint. Rooms were nice. We had ocean view in tower A. The walls are thin so do not plan on getting to bed early if your neighbor stays out late to party or in our case 3 children in the next room constantly fighting and screaming. Beds were not the most comfy but did the job. AC unit on the wall worked well but some nights it would drip constantly. Tower A is above the nightly entertainment so it is loud until 10-11 pm did not bother us as we watched most of the entertainment.

The beaches were not as clean as I thought they would be. Beaches are stoney so bring sandals or water shoes, There are sea urchins everywhere in the water be carful when swimming. There are some sandy swimming spots but must of the swimming areas have seaweed. The worst part about the beached was the trash. There were straws and straw wrappers in the beach and water. Cups laying on the beach and water. Sometimes a staff member would clean up the beach but not often. Some guests were disrespectful and just through their trash on the beach. Beautiful beach views on mo-bay. Snorkeling was great right from the beach. I advise guided tour with the staff which is included. There is a reef out about 50 yards and is one the best reefs I have seen. We seen jelly fish, puffer fish, sea urchins, snapper, reef fish and star fish.

Pools are nice as well but do get dirty fast i.e. straws and wrappers and cups and sand. The children's play area was a joke. Nothing like they claim on the website. The area is run down, dirty. The hot tub does not work and is filled with trash, lazy river does not have jets, trash in the area, watersides hurt the back and are on uneven. The fountains in the play area do not work.

beer and liqueur was good, did not have to wait long to get drinks, Food was excellent at buffet and restaurants, entertainment at night was very nice. Be careful of the cups as most are not clean. I solved this problem by keeping one cup every time. I had dirty wrappers in cups and lipstick. Staff are overall friendly.

The gym needs work. There are missing dumbbells and loose dumbbells. Two treadmills work, although one is stuck on an incline. The gym works but not my idea of an resort gym.

Overall, okay resort, I wouldn't go back if I had to pay full price. I would not go with just myself and fiance. If there was just some simple upkeep like taking care of the children's area and picking up the trash it would be a great resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in tower A ocean front will be noisy until 10-11pm due to nightly entertainment
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our second time at Sunset Beach and we had another great time! We traveled with nine people between the ages of 3-70 and there is something for everyone. One of the best things about this hotel is the friendly staff. I travel a lot and this is by far one of the nicest group of hotel employees that you will find. Another great thing is that the entertainment starts at 7:30 and there are several things that go on until later in the evening. As someone with a 3 year old, I loved that b/c we could have dinner and watch or listen to some music for awhile before heading in for the evening. We also requested a quiet room and couldn't hear anything during our early bedtime and nap time. One night there was an amazing steel drum band! One of the best shows I have ever seen on vacation. The rooms are old, but accommodating. The pools are great. We loved the lazy river. The food is good - easy to find healthy options and enough variety for the week. Most people I met seemed to be having a good time. There were a few people that I heard complaining about everything, but they are probably the type who will complain about everything anywhere. Do your research, read the reviews, look at pictures and don't be looking for the Ritz Carlton. However, if you are looking for a friendly, laid back place to relax and have fun.... this is definitely the place!!!! We will definitely be back. Thanks Sunset Beach!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We just returned from this resort from a senior trip. We had 12 in our party. After reading the reviews I was a little worried about our location. However, upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes the rooms could use a little updating and the resort is a bit older but the staff was amazing and extremely friendly. I had great assistance from Rosie and Shameka at the excursion and dinner reservation desk. Housekeeping and wait staff were always eager to help. I enjoyed the food at the buffet and the Asian restaurants. My favorite was Clinton at the breakfast egg station. So what the resort lacks in updates they make up in friendly staff and pleasant experiences. All of the students and us chaperones had an amazing time. I would recommend to this location to ppl who like good savings along with a great staff and food...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I travelled to this resort with our 10 year old daughter and 12 year old son for March Break 2013. We had a wonderful time. The resort is large and spread out on a long, private beach. Each evening we experienced the most spectacular sunsets!

Waterpark and pools
The waterpark is not large but is never crowded. The whole family enjoyed the two waterslides and the small lazy river. There are several pools to enjoy so you were never stuck in a crowded noisy pool, unless you wanted to be. Even the activity pool was never crowded. I do not tolerate the sun well and was always able to move a chair to the shade by the pool so I could spend time with the family.

Beach
The beach was more of a challenge if you are looking for shade but there are plenty of lounge chairs available. We spent hours playing in the sand and walking along the beach. If you snorkel, take your gear because there is a great reef just a short swim out. There are plenty of sea plants so take your watershoes if you plan to walk out any distance from shore. The water is quite shallow but there are plenty of rocks, shells and sealife to walk on! Just walking along the shoreline we saw starfish and schoools of fish! The resort has kayaks and paddle boats to borrow. There was never a wait of more than 10 minutes for these.

Rooms
When we arrived our room was not available so we were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite for two nights. This room was in one of the towers. It was beautiful with granite counters, a large private balcony, a dressing room, one bathroom with a shower and tub, a bedroom with a king bed and television, a seprate living room with a pull out couch, sitting area and television. There were doors seperating the two rooms for privacy. Both rooms have access to the balcony through large sliding glass doors. The view from the balcony was spectacular! It faced the beach and gave us an un-obstructed view of the sunset each evening. There were two chairs and a small table on the balcony. The beds were comfortable, the bed in the bedroom was much more comfortable than the pull out.

Our second room was a typical motel type room It was in the beachfront cabana (west section, second floor). Our balcony faced the beach and the exit/entrance faced the waterpark. It is the perfect location for a family with kids! The room was large enough, not spacious. It was clean and had everything we needed, except enough hangers. The room was old and in need of some repair but everything worked. The bath tub was peeling so my kids didn't use it. The hotel has flat screen televisions with satelite cable so my kids had something to watch at night in the room.

Resort
There was always plenty to do. There are books and board games to borrow from the same place you get your towels. This was great for the day when it rained or the afternoons when we wanted to stay out of the sun. There is a mini-golf course, oversized chess and checkers boards and a swing set at the west end of the resort. The kids club and teen club were not in great condition. My 10 year old daughter spent a couple of hours at the club one day but did not want to go back. I saw many younger kids there each day. The teen club looked like an abandonded prison. The walls were concrete with grafitti all over them. I never saw anyone go in! The main lobby is open and had many seating areas for us to enjoy a drink from the lobby bar or a game of cards. Many people spend time there using the wifi. I believe it is the only place you can use the wifi, for which you have to pay. We didn't take any electronics so didn't use it. The convenience store for small necessities was extremely overpriced ($4 for a toothbrush, $7 for a bag of Doritios)! The souvenir shop had decent prices and we bought a few souvenirs there. Each day the resort has local artisans selling their jewellry, purses, clothing and artwork. You can bargain with the sellers and we got a few good deals on jewelry and souvenirs.

Food/Drink
The food at the buffet was mediocre, at best. There were local dishes to try. The breakfasts were good with an omelette station where you could have your eggs custom made. At lunch a deli counter where someone makes your sandwich for you. The meats were processed. The tuna salad was good one day and not so great the next. My kids ate a lot of fries and bread. They had a pasta station at night where you could choose your own toppings and sauces. The pasta was overcooked but the sauce was tasty. Several nights there was cheese pizza for the kids. There was generally a jerk dish to choose from (pork, chicken). The gala night had the best selection of food. The snack bar served french fries, burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese and nachos most of the day. My kids got their fill here most days. There is a soft serve ice cream machine but it is hit and miss whether it is full or empty. It would have been nice to have this option all the time and regular popcorn machine running. We only had popcorn one night. I was very disappointed that there was nowhere to get Jamaican patties except the guy with a cart who came through each day and sold them for $2 a piece! I found this a strange thing for an all inclusive!

Entertainment
The evening entertainment was always good. Magic, singers, and acrobats on different nights. All were family friendly. Although wwe didn't participate in the activities at the pool there was always good music and games to play, and of course, water aerobics in the morning. The steel pan performers on the Beach Party night were great but if you didn't get there early you had to sit in the lobby to eat. They also charged for bingo cards on bingo night, which I felt should have been free at an all inclusive!

Staff
All staff we encountered were friendly, polite, helpful and hard working. I have nothing but praise for how hard working they are and they never made us feel uncomfortable asking for help or anything we needed.

All in all we had a great holiday. We were busy, full and tired at the end of each day! I recommend this resort for families with young kids. Take along plenty of sunscreen!

Room Tip: If you like to be close to the beach and water park ask for a cabana in the west building. If you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here in 2010 for 2 weeks and then went back again this year for 3 weeks and its got better!
Both times we arrived at reception we felt at home,, it was so welcoming and as we found out this really was our home for the next 3 weeks. We were in our rooms within 20 minutes of arriving and they were clean, simple but well presented.

During the holiday we were never bored and always had someone asking if you needed anything or if you wanted join in with the entertainment or simply if you were enjoying yourself! which was really nice.
The animation team were great especially kenijah, nordia and richard they definetly made your holiday the best it could be.
The buffet was very good and I am a really fussy eater but never went hungry and never had a bad stomach neither did anyone else in our group of 15!

The staff are extremly friendly and have always got a smile on their faces.
Kids really enjoy the waterpark and I never heard any complaints about the seams on it, nor did I feel them when I went on the slides. The pool water was very clean thanks to daimien who was there cleaning it every morning !

Overall, I think this hotel is absolutely fantastic for kids and adults. This was my 7th time going to jamaica (2nd to this hotel) and think its the best by far! In the 3 weeks we loved every minute of it,, so what if chairs needed fixing or replacing there was always others available that didnt,, and even though the waterpark could do with a lick of paint you dont even notice you have that much you can do! The little things really to count for a lot more and because sunset was so enjoyable we're already booking for another 3 weeks next march to see all of the friends we made :)

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was our second time in Jamaica but our first time at the Sunset Resort. It is a great place to stay. The rooms were very clean as was the rest of the resort. The staff was very friendly, very helpful. The food was great, we never left the dining area hungry. After getting sun burned the first day, we decided we better find some shade for the rest of our stay. We found a great spot at the pool where all the daily activities took place. And that is where we met Latoya, she was awesome, always friendly, she always stopped to check on us and to chat. She has so much energy and always had a big smile. There was lots to do, I really enjoyed the water Zumba, I never done it before, I had a blast, the instructor was fantastic. At night the resort entertainment was great, I really enjoyed the steel drum band, they were fantastic. There was one night of entertainment that didn't go well, but that was because of a guest who had to much to drink, the staff handled him very professionally and did there best not to have him ruin the night for everyone else, I felt bad for the entertainers. We had a great vacation, I would love to return to the Sunset Beach next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!