“Fabulous time had by all!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
SAVE BIG THIS FALL!
Ranked #20 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
New Jersey
“Fabulous time had by all!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our second time at Sunset Beach and we had another great time! We traveled with nine people between the ages of 3-70 and there is something for everyone. One of the best things about this hotel is the friendly staff. I travel a lot and this is by far one of the nicest group of hotel employees that you will find. Another great thing is that the entertainment starts at 7:30 and there are several things that go on until later in the evening. As someone with a 3 year old, I loved that b/c we could have dinner and watch or listen to some music for awhile before heading in for the evening. We also requested a quiet room and couldn't hear anything during our early bedtime and nap time. One night there was an amazing steel drum band! One of the best shows I have ever seen on vacation. The rooms are old, but accommodating. The pools are great. We loved the lazy river. The food is good - easy to find healthy options and enough variety for the week. Most people I met seemed to be having a good time. There were a few people that I heard complaining about everything, but they are probably the type who will complain about everything anywhere. Do your research, read the reviews, look at pictures and don't be looking for the Ritz Carlton. However, if you are looking for a friendly, laid back place to relax and have fun.... this is definitely the place!!!! We will definitely be back. Thanks Sunset Beach!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

4,109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
  • Polish first
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We just returned from this resort from a senior trip. We had 12 in our party. After reading the reviews I was a little worried about our location. However, upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes the rooms could use a little updating and the resort is a bit older but the staff was amazing and extremely friendly. I had great assistance from Rosie and Shameka at the excursion and dinner reservation desk. Housekeeping and wait staff were always eager to help. I enjoyed the food at the buffet and the Asian restaurants. My favorite was Clinton at the breakfast egg station. So what the resort lacks in updates they make up in friendly staff and pleasant experiences. All of the students and us chaperones had an amazing time. I would recommend to this location to ppl who like good savings along with a great staff and food...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I travelled to this resort with our 10 year old daughter and 12 year old son for March Break 2013. We had a wonderful time. The resort is large and spread out on a long, private beach. Each evening we experienced the most spectacular sunsets!

Waterpark and pools
The waterpark is not large but is never crowded. The whole family enjoyed the two waterslides and the small lazy river. There are several pools to enjoy so you were never stuck in a crowded noisy pool, unless you wanted to be. Even the activity pool was never crowded. I do not tolerate the sun well and was always able to move a chair to the shade by the pool so I could spend time with the family.

Beach
The beach was more of a challenge if you are looking for shade but there are plenty of lounge chairs available. We spent hours playing in the sand and walking along the beach. If you snorkel, take your gear because there is a great reef just a short swim out. There are plenty of sea plants so take your watershoes if you plan to walk out any distance from shore. The water is quite shallow but there are plenty of rocks, shells and sealife to walk on! Just walking along the shoreline we saw starfish and schoools of fish! The resort has kayaks and paddle boats to borrow. There was never a wait of more than 10 minutes for these.

Rooms
When we arrived our room was not available so we were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite for two nights. This room was in one of the towers. It was beautiful with granite counters, a large private balcony, a dressing room, one bathroom with a shower and tub, a bedroom with a king bed and television, a seprate living room with a pull out couch, sitting area and television. There were doors seperating the two rooms for privacy. Both rooms have access to the balcony through large sliding glass doors. The view from the balcony was spectacular! It faced the beach and gave us an un-obstructed view of the sunset each evening. There were two chairs and a small table on the balcony. The beds were comfortable, the bed in the bedroom was much more comfortable than the pull out.

Our second room was a typical motel type room It was in the beachfront cabana (west section, second floor). Our balcony faced the beach and the exit/entrance faced the waterpark. It is the perfect location for a family with kids! The room was large enough, not spacious. It was clean and had everything we needed, except enough hangers. The room was old and in need of some repair but everything worked. The bath tub was peeling so my kids didn't use it. The hotel has flat screen televisions with satelite cable so my kids had something to watch at night in the room.

Resort
There was always plenty to do. There are books and board games to borrow from the same place you get your towels. This was great for the day when it rained or the afternoons when we wanted to stay out of the sun. There is a mini-golf course, oversized chess and checkers boards and a swing set at the west end of the resort. The kids club and teen club were not in great condition. My 10 year old daughter spent a couple of hours at the club one day but did not want to go back. I saw many younger kids there each day. The teen club looked like an abandonded prison. The walls were concrete with grafitti all over them. I never saw anyone go in! The main lobby is open and had many seating areas for us to enjoy a drink from the lobby bar or a game of cards. Many people spend time there using the wifi. I believe it is the only place you can use the wifi, for which you have to pay. We didn't take any electronics so didn't use it. The convenience store for small necessities was extremely overpriced ($4 for a toothbrush, $7 for a bag of Doritios)! The souvenir shop had decent prices and we bought a few souvenirs there. Each day the resort has local artisans selling their jewellry, purses, clothing and artwork. You can bargain with the sellers and we got a few good deals on jewelry and souvenirs.

Food/Drink
The food at the buffet was mediocre, at best. There were local dishes to try. The breakfasts were good with an omelette station where you could have your eggs custom made. At lunch a deli counter where someone makes your sandwich for you. The meats were processed. The tuna salad was good one day and not so great the next. My kids ate a lot of fries and bread. They had a pasta station at night where you could choose your own toppings and sauces. The pasta was overcooked but the sauce was tasty. Several nights there was cheese pizza for the kids. There was generally a jerk dish to choose from (pork, chicken). The gala night had the best selection of food. The snack bar served french fries, burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese and nachos most of the day. My kids got their fill here most days. There is a soft serve ice cream machine but it is hit and miss whether it is full or empty. It would have been nice to have this option all the time and regular popcorn machine running. We only had popcorn one night. I was very disappointed that there was nowhere to get Jamaican patties except the guy with a cart who came through each day and sold them for $2 a piece! I found this a strange thing for an all inclusive!

Entertainment
The evening entertainment was always good. Magic, singers, and acrobats on different nights. All were family friendly. Although wwe didn't participate in the activities at the pool there was always good music and games to play, and of course, water aerobics in the morning. The steel pan performers on the Beach Party night were great but if you didn't get there early you had to sit in the lobby to eat. They also charged for bingo cards on bingo night, which I felt should have been free at an all inclusive!

Staff
All staff we encountered were friendly, polite, helpful and hard working. I have nothing but praise for how hard working they are and they never made us feel uncomfortable asking for help or anything we needed.

All in all we had a great holiday. We were busy, full and tired at the end of each day! I recommend this resort for families with young kids. Take along plenty of sunscreen!

Room Tip: If you like to be close to the beach and water park ask for a cabana in the west building. If you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here in 2010 for 2 weeks and then went back again this year for 3 weeks and its got better!
Both times we arrived at reception we felt at home,, it was so welcoming and as we found out this really was our home for the next 3 weeks. We were in our rooms within 20 minutes of arriving and they were clean, simple but well presented.

During the holiday we were never bored and always had someone asking if you needed anything or if you wanted join in with the entertainment or simply if you were enjoying yourself! which was really nice.
The animation team were great especially kenijah, nordia and richard they definetly made your holiday the best it could be.
The buffet was very good and I am a really fussy eater but never went hungry and never had a bad stomach neither did anyone else in our group of 15!

The staff are extremly friendly and have always got a smile on their faces.
Kids really enjoy the waterpark and I never heard any complaints about the seams on it, nor did I feel them when I went on the slides. The pool water was very clean thanks to daimien who was there cleaning it every morning !

Overall, I think this hotel is absolutely fantastic for kids and adults. This was my 7th time going to jamaica (2nd to this hotel) and think its the best by far! In the 3 weeks we loved every minute of it,, so what if chairs needed fixing or replacing there was always others available that didnt,, and even though the waterpark could do with a lick of paint you dont even notice you have that much you can do! The little things really to count for a lot more and because sunset was so enjoyable we're already booking for another 3 weeks next march to see all of the friends we made :)

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was our second time in Jamaica but our first time at the Sunset Resort. It is a great place to stay. The rooms were very clean as was the rest of the resort. The staff was very friendly, very helpful. The food was great, we never left the dining area hungry. After getting sun burned the first day, we decided we better find some shade for the rest of our stay. We found a great spot at the pool where all the daily activities took place. And that is where we met Latoya, she was awesome, always friendly, she always stopped to check on us and to chat. She has so much energy and always had a big smile. There was lots to do, I really enjoyed the water Zumba, I never done it before, I had a blast, the instructor was fantastic. At night the resort entertainment was great, I really enjoyed the steel drum band, they were fantastic. There was one night of entertainment that didn't go well, but that was because of a guest who had to much to drink, the staff handled him very professionally and did there best not to have him ruin the night for everyone else, I felt bad for the entertainers. We had a great vacation, I would love to return to the Sunset Beach next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansing, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and two kids (ages 12 & 13) spent 3/31- 4/4 at Sunset Beach. Overall, we had a nice time, but were a bit disappointed, as it was an average resort compared to more recent experiences we have had with value priced all inclusive vacation packages.

My husband and I had been to Jamaica for our honeymoon 19 years ago, and the island is in better shape now. We arrived at the resort around 3 and had no trouble with check in. We had reserved a rollaway bed for the room, and the front desk had assured us one would be brought. The bellmen took our luggage, gave us each a drink and led us up to our room in the B Tower (rm 213)

The room was very clean, but the beds were double beds and were hard as rocks. Our view was probably the worst the resort had (second floor, overlooking the roof to the lobby- very ugly with side glimpses of the water and the mountain) Our first thought was not to worry about the view because we wouldnt be in there much. The AC was on and the room was cold - but the AC was very loud, and on the balcony, it was clanky. The room itself looked as though it had recently been updated, and there were no noticeable signs of wear / tear. There was no lock for the safe, so when we asked at the desk for one, we were advised to check back in the morning because they were all out. On Monday, after checking twice, a safe key became available, so we felt better about leaving our things in the room. Our rollaway bed did not appear until Monday (and we stopped by the front desk several times - the persistence helped) My other "complaint" was the maid service came in at 5:00 in the afternoon - we would leave our room early, and by 4:30, we would need to take a break from the sun, but would have to leave again right away so they could make the room.

We then sought out reservations at the three specialty restaurants, but found no openings for the italian restaurant or the Jamaican one, and a 9:00 on Tuesday for the Asian restaurant, but were advised to check daily in case there were cancellations.

The dinner buffet was a big disappointment - i have been at a lot of all-inclusive resorts where the reviews indicated the food was bland and disappointing, but always disagreed with those reviews. Here, though, was a different story. If you liked pasta, you were in luck, because the pasta bar was great, even though you had to usually stand in line 20 minutes. The rest of the food was very disappointing. The kids didnt like the food at all and ended up eating rolls and dessert alot. The lunches and breakfasts were just as bland - lots of fresh fruit, but the bacon tasted half-cooked, and the meat products were all a bit weird tasting - kind of sweet or super-salty. After having to eat three meals a day with the same menu, it was old. On Tuesday, there was an out door barbeque that had jerk chicken (very good) but otherwise the same old tired entrees in a different setting. My kids liked the beach grill, but thought the hamburgers, hot dogs and grilled cheese looked funny (lighter color) and had a funny taste to them - again - like a sweeter tang to them. They ate a lot of french fries.

The Asian restaurant was actually exceptionally good but eating at 9:00 after a long day in the sun - not so great.

The beach was fantastic - the staff worked very hard to keep things clean, but with lots of kids running around and tourists dropping stuff all over, it was hard to keep clean. The pools started out looking great in the am, but by the end of the day, people had dragged in lots of sand, straws and garbage, especially in the waterpark area. I was surprised at how people just left plates of food and have finished drinks on the ground, on chairs, etc, and couldnt be bothered to put them back in the trash areas of where the meals were supposed to be eaten.

My kids loved the waterpark, and the swim area was beautiful. Lots of the chairs could use some refurbishing, but we always went out early and made sure to get chairs that weren't cracked or broken. We went on the snorkeling tours daily with the resort guide, and it was wonderful. My 12 year old daughter tried out club mongoose for an hour, but no one near her age was there so she didnt try again. My 13 yr old tried out the teen center once, but no one was there. The basketball court was never used, and when he tried to check out a basketball to play, it was flat. There seemed to be a lot more activities on paper than what was actually happening. Plus, we were up early and in the sun all day, so we usually went upstairs after dinner and were in bed by 10.

We took a day trip to Dunn River Falls through the hotel. Marshall was our driver / guide - its a trip that was worth the money and two hr drive. Lunch was at the Sunset beach resort in Ocho Rios - and the food there was even worse.

If I were to do this agin, i would bring my own snorkle equipment, as you can only use the resorts while on the tour. I would be more persistent to get into the restaurants, as people were telling us they were very good.

Again, for the money we paid, it was a good trip, but I was disappointed about having to eat at the buffet all the time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Travelled to the Sunset from March 22 to March 31, 2013. Truly enjoyed the resort, particularly for the value.

The resort was clean, the rooms were clean, the staff were friendly and the resort was always a buzz with activities.

The resort brought in vendors every day to display their local arts and wares, (a nice touch, as some resort ban any vendors from the grounds).

I like to give a shout out to Agree the Jamaican Patty Vendor,...such a treat!

This resort was a nice mix of tourists and locals. Very easy to have friends visit for a day. The watersports are a nice touch as well. It seems like the staff genuinely enjoy their work. I will definitely return to the Sunset.

Room Tip: Try to get a Room in the A tower as I understand that they have more recently been updated.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!