“Ya Mon !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Try The Oasis at Sunset
Ranked #19 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Las Vegas
“Ya Mon !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at The Sunset beach Resort from 3-1-13 till 3-11-13 and I had a great time. The Resort is the right size so your not walking all over the place to find things.The beaches were gorgeous and the water warm and inviting. The buffet was exactly like all the other all inclusives a little bit of the Native style food along with a Pasta station and salad bars. The Bars served cool drinks, try a Dirty Banana and a Miami Vice YUM. I paid for an upgrade and stayed in the Beach front Cabana . Worth every penny. I walked right out of my room onto sand with the Ocean a few steps away. Way better than taking an elevator up to your room. The Jamaican people are really kind, soulful and Intelligent Take the time and get to know the Tour guides they are full of wonderful Historic information . The local crafters in town can be pushy but a simple I'm good is the correct answer to give when saying no. One thing that i felt a little uncomfortable with was the number of feral cats on the property of the resort. I must have seen more than a dozen walking all over the place. They stalk out the buffet at night and hang around the kids pool. I'm just saying..The staff was great and helpful always. Overall a good choice.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Beach Front Cabana
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

4,074 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews, I formed the impression that this resort was a very good "value resort"......I was wrong.
the resort was excellent..The people was friendly, always asking if you were having a good time. Even the life guards at the kids pools were animated, always engaging with the kids. The food was very good. Excellent jerk, and the Chinese food was awesome. The resort was extremely clean, everywhere you go, you would see someone cleaning, painting, raking....the bathrooms were very clean as well. I observed the staff, always washing their hands, and some were wearing gloves. I would highly recommend this resort, and I look forward to going back next year.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jonesboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was my 3 time visiting this hotel and I must say management has made some changes. The hotel is not the same, the food went down hill, staff try to do the best they can but they are under staff and over worked. My husband and I enjoyed the Al-Carte resturants more than the buffets.The excercise workout was good every morning. Our room was on the 10 floor and the view of the street was great at night with all the lights and music on the balcony we didnt need to leave our room.
The hotel is not near the town so to get there it takes a cab which can be expensive and not worth it. The pictures are over price for what it cost to make it. bring your own camera and develop when you come back home.
Overall our stay was not bad we will try out thier sister hotel next trip so that we can have a comparison to the Sunset Jamaica Grande.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I’ve been to Jamaica twice now, and both trips were absolutely wonderful! But I am also a huge believer in your trip is what you make of it! With that said I loved Sunset Beach Resort! Yes people are correct when they say it could use a few upgrades! And yes I was disappointed about there being NO bar fridges in the room! But ultimately I can’t really complain about much else! I thought everything was kept very clean; service was awesome and oh so friendly! I loved that merchants came to the resort and set up there stuff, to be honest that where I did the majority of my shopping! The food was a lot of the same stuff every day, but it was good and delicious! I was disappointed in the “Beach Bar”, cause I found that the portions sucked, and there wasn’t enough variety! Drinks were delish, and the bartenders listen very well! Though I should state that I do not drink beer, but everyone on the trip with me, including my boyfriend, said the beer on tap was TERRIBLE! And they’d actually walk down to the Casino bar to get one that they could choke down! The entertainment was a lil’ lackluster, BUT again who needs entertainment when you’re vacationing with a great crew of people? The disco I thoroughly enjoyed! It and the casino were all in one, and I loved it! All in all I had a great time! I’d highly recommend it to others, and I will most definitely be going back some day!
Kate.T.
NB, Canada

Room Tip: We stayed in the East Cabanas (Room E108) I would highly recommend people to try to get these! You w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The place is older but the people make this resort. We had an oceanfront room with adjoining rooms, it was paradise. Everyone was so kind and polite Everyone greeted you, no one ever walked by you without saying good morning or good day. Food was excellent, with the buffet and the a la carte restaurants. We could have eaten at the Asian and Italian restaurant every night. We got back from Sunset Feb 23 and would go back to this resort in a heart beat. Renae from guest services is a "sweetheart" and appreciated her help with phonecalls and support. Clive was our taxi driver, he was great. We were in Jamaica 20 years ago and I have to say they certainly have cleaned up their act. I would recommend this property to anyone. We felt safe and plan on going back next year except we are bringing the rest of the family. See you next year. Donna-Lynn

Room Tip: The place is greeted you , no one ever walked by you without saying good morning We sta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Topeka, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My family and I just returned from here. Hotel is nice and they do a good job of keeping it clean. Not a lot of variety in food at the buffet. Same stuff daily. No fresh seafood. Beach was very very disappointing. I have been to Cancun 4 times a they have large beautiful beaches that they take pride in. At Sunset they don't bother to clean off loungers, several are broken and beach is very small. Pools were nice but much of activity was geared towards adults. Wasn't terrible but we won't be returning.

Room Tip: We had a beach front cabana and had screaming drunk adults outside our door nightly trying to get in...
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We just came back from 5 days at this pretty resort. We have always vacationed at resorts that were minimum 4 stars or higher and have done a number of cruises as well. This was a last minute short vacation for relaxation and we took a chance on this resort as it had fairly decent reviews and was fairly close to the airport. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised and were quite pleased with the resort.

Rooms: we got an upgraded room (ocean view with balcony in one of the newer wings at the edge of the resort. It was perfect! Our room was very comfortable and nice and had the best view of the beach. We were looking for peace and quiet and this wing was away from the main area and gave us the peach and privacy we were looking for. We were in the East wing with an amazing view of the ocean.

Food: Overall, we really liked the buffets, and absolutely loved the jerk chicken. Every day the variety of the food was great, and the dessert were very very good. We tried the Italian and the Asian restaurant and were very disappointed with both, especially with the asian restaurant. Usually, the restaurants were suppose to be better than the buffet restaurant, but we found the buffet food were much much better (totally disappointing with both restaurants).
The breakfast, especially the omelettes, were just amazing and the highlight of each morning.

Beach: very well spaced out, amazed at the size of the resort grounds. It was a busy week but the beach never felt crowded and plenty of beach chairs to go around.

Entertainment: a little disappointed with the entertainment. Not as engaging as in other resorts. In my opinion, the resort need to invest a bit more in this area. We didn't go out every night, but on the two occasion we went (reggae jazz band, fashion show, and beach party), it was very disappointing.

Service: service was very good overall. Our housekeeping was great, staff around the resort and restaurants were very friendly.

We would definitely recommend the resort for the value and the beautiful resort property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!