First, we did not stay overnight at all at Sunset Beach Resort. We purchased a resort day pass from Jamaicaforaday.com while we were in port on a cruise ship.
We had tried to book 2 other resorts that were blacked out for the day we were there so that is how we ended up at Sunset Beach - it was the only resort that had day passes available.
Would we go there again? Probably not. Did we have an enjoyable day? Yes, it was fine, but nothing spectacular.
The lobby are was beautiful when we first walked in. We were warmly greeted and the check in process was very smooth and all hotel workers were extremely friendly. We arrived via Jamaicaforaday.com transfer at approximately 10:00 a.m. and had difficulty finding a beach or pool chair. We went all the way to the back by the "water park" area. There was tons of open space on the pool deck but hardly any chairs to be found, not just chairs that were available, but any chairs at all. We finally found two chairs. Next we set out to find tubes for the lazy river as we noticed there were hardly any. It was a busy day there and it seemed as though they didn't have enough chairs, equipment, etc. for the crowd they had that day.
The property is very run down. The "bones" of it don't look that old but it seems as though the property was built and the company has done nothing from a maintenance perspective. The water park was in desperate need of a paint job, there were weeds and bare landscaping all over. Not at all what you would expect from a tropical resort. We spent the morning at the water park area then after lunch made our way to the beach.
The food at lunch was fantastic. It was quite an impressive buffet. We had Jamaican jerk chicken and jerk pork pasta - delicious. There were many salads and side dishes, soup, bread, desserts, etc. Very nice! Also, a wonderful touch was a steel drum band playing music during lunch. They were great!
Unlimited drinks were great but they were about the size of a dixie cup and seemed pretty watered down. My husband and I had quite a few drinks throughout the day and didn't even feel it at all. No waiter/waitress service but they were fast at the bar every time we went up for drinks. Made virgin drinks for our daughter and she thought that was fun. : )
The beach was nice and the water sports were fun. They have snorkeling equipment, kayaks and a Hobie Cat sail boat. They have a person who takes people out on the sailboat everything 10 minutes or so. The water was beautiful and we enjoyed a nice afternoon after lunch at the beach.
Overall we had an enjoyable day and the price was right compared to the other resorts that offer day passes (but were not available the day we were there). But I think there is a reason that this day pass is priced lower - something tells me the other resorts are much nicer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Consists of two 10-story Sunrise and Sunset Towers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Beach Resort Jamaica
- Sunset Beach Jamaica
- Sunset Beach Montego Bay
- Sunset Beach Resort Spa Montego Bay
- Sunset Beach Resort And Spa Jamaica
- Beach Resort Sunset
- Sunset Beach Resort Montego Bay Jamaica
- Sunset Beach Resort Spa Jamaica
- Montego Bay Sunset Beach Resort