“Awesome!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Try The Oasis at Sunset
Ranked #18 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed this resort so much that I don't even want to say more for fear that it will get so popular that we can't afford it! Very friendly, professional staff. Great snorkelling if you are willing to explore past the sea-grass. Better food than I expected after reading the reviews. Clean, well-kept room. I've been trying all week to think of something to complain about, with no luck. Will go back in a heartbeat. Great value for the money spent. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

4,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Polish first
Hanmer Ontariio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were a little aprehensive before going, but we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean, maybe a little dated, but had pretty well everything we needed. We stayed in room A710 which was an ocean view and looked over the tennis courts and water slides. On the Thursday night we were kept awake by loud music, which we thought came from the resort, but was told that it came from Pier 1 club, it was annoying but we were on holiday and could sleep in. We would suggest rooms ending in 04 such as A704/A804/A904. Our friends stayed in A904 and this was ocean view and quieter, this is in the East tower. There were no fridges in the rooms, but there were new flat screen TVs. Overall the rooms were fine.
The food at the buffet was very good, they had a good selection, Clinton the omlette man, was great, it was amazing the speed and organization he exhibits, thanks Clinton. The buffet covers the breakfast, lunch and supper and in between there is a grille, this is not the best, but does fill a need if you are hungry. Overall the buffet is very good.
The pools were clean and had swim up bars, the other pools on the family/kids side looked well maintained and everyone there seemed happy with the water sports.
We went on the glass bottomed boat from Kelly's water sports on the resort, it was very good and the two young guides were excellent, Faboan and Dean. The only comment is that it could have lasted longer, but it was amazing to see the coral reefs.
My wife and friend went out snorkeling with an organized group on the resort, the two guides did not stay with the group and my wife ended up with colliding with coral and getting a bad scratch. It was a good thing that my friend stayed and guided her back to the shore. I think one guide should go to shore and one should herd the group from behind, that's just my take, but after seeing the resort nurse everthing turned out fine, but it could have been a bad situation being hung up on the coral reef.
We took a trip to The Greenwood Great House, we really enjoyed seeing the antiques and guided tour. The tour guide,Thora was excellent, so full of knowledge and very courteous. If you are interested in history and antiques this well worth the visit.
We also went to Margaretville and had a blast, the drinks are on the expensive side, but it was good to experience the energy of the place. We shopped along Hip Strip, you will find the usual vacation items and can get a deal if you bargain.
As we mentioned, we were a little nervous about going to Jamaica, from some comments on line, but we were happy to find the people great and friendly. The resort was safe but we did not feel trapped, they have a gate and security, but we did not see gun totong guards, so overall, we thought Jamaica was great.

Room Tip: In the East tower rooms ending with 04, such as A704/A804/A904
Halifax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Was a vacationing princess Feb 16th - 23rd/2013. This wasn't my first visit to Sunset Beach Resort & Spa and it definately won't even be my only visit this year. I have now made 7 trips back to this resort & am planning to return in May '13 because the Sunset has made me part of the family.

Sunset Beach is a 4* resort and Guests need to accept this before they book and/or visit. Don't go looking for the 5* and then complain. This resort has a lot to offer, you just have to be open to it. It is a family resort not a party palace. It actually doesn't stay open 24hrs so everyone has the chance to get some sleep and be refreshed for the next day.

I visited a 5* in Mexico 2yrs ago, it was a beautiful resort but there was no personality to the employees, they did not want to converse with you, the rooms were standard (and we had upgraded) about the only thing that was better was the diversity of food at the buffet and the nightly entertainment. I'd rather go to Sunset because:

1: The front desk staff & those working the tour bookings & Dinner Reservations are very friendly and try to accomodate your requests to the best of their abilities. (Shoutout to Barbie Khan)

2. The Bartenders at the Front Lobby Bar, Entertainment Bar, Disco, Swim up Bar & Beach Bar rotate so no matter which bar you are at, you find a bartender that knows your drink. They are friendly & funny and respectful. It rained for 2 days on my vacation & I enjoyed sitting at the bar joking with the other guests & bartenders. (I'd like to say special thx to a few of my fav's who remember my name each year & drink - Germaine, Ernest, Rohan, Craig, Jason, Wendy, Dionne & Jackie)

3. The Entertainment staff do a wonderful job each day, entertaining the young & old throughout the day. BUT, they can only do so much with so little opportunities to expand on things. Their supervisors need to bring in new games, new things to do, etc for their staff to entertain us with. The ET Crew work all day & night, but are given little time to 'practice' any of their skits or shows, thus each year it was basically 'seen that' before. But this year, there were all new skits and it was great!! It was great to see them be able to expand on what they do. And There was new entertainment from the outside the resort brought in, Variety is the spice of life!! Great Job to all!!!(Cuddos to Yannique, Samantha, Laytoya, Anquelic, Nardia, Michael & Kenijah. ps Kenijah is a natural born entertainer, he can make anything work and he brings the biggest laughs!!)

4. The beach: is not very wide, but decently long. It was great to see more chairs out there to pick from. Yes, some are broken but that happens. The staff were great at cleaning up the seaweed that washed ashore during our 2 'storm' days. the beach is a little rocky in places, but that is mother earth, not the staff. AND if it wasn't, all those children & adults out collecting sea shells wouldn't have anything to collect. The Snorkeling is great just off the beach!! and when I return in May I may conquer my fears and do the Parasailing as the price is fantastic!

5. The food: I like the variety at the Banana Walk Buffet & the Grill (thx Newton), the Italian Restaurant is by far my favorite with the Chinese a close 2nd.

My Suggestions are:
1. Replace the Broken/Damaged Chairs from the beach and add more White Loungers that will lie flat so that those wanting to lay face down to tan their backs can do so.
2. Replace the damaged huts and add a 2nd row of huts alternating spacing with those already existing between them and the lawn as a lot of folks move their chairs up towards the lawns creating a 2nd row. This would also increase the availability of the huts to those who need some shade.
3. The microphone for announcements is too distorted both during the day & night - its hard to hear/understand any of the staff because of it.
4. If Bacon & Ham are going to be offered on alternating days, have the ham be breakfast ham, not ham we'd eat at dinner. And you might consider offering a Breakfast Smoothie section to have some one make them per your request (similar to the omelet station). I'm sure this would be a hit.

And to those non-cat-friendly folks who complain about the stray cats, heres a thought, did you see any cockroaches on your vacation? I didn't. I never do. why? b/c of the cats, so what would you rather see, a cat who runs from you or a cockroach who approaches you? (ps, if anyone sees 'gremlin' in the front lobby, short haired calico kitty, a very friendly lap cat give her extra pets from me! thx)

So, any questions? just ask, I'm quite honest. And yeah, I've already started a countdown to return to Sunset in May...

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper stay away from the lower rooms near the disco.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I went to Montego Bay Jamaica to the Sunset Beach Resort for our 6th wedding anniversary, a an awesome time indeed. The staff at the resort was SuperDrive, they are attentive, courteous and is to be commended for doing an outstanding job to make our stay pleasant.

The food was plentiful and enjoyable, and there was a great deal of activity to do. We were having such a great time that we stayed an extra two days.

If you need to get away consider this option, the price is right, the folks are great, and as the staff would say, " no problem man".

Everything was " Irie"

Room Tip: All room are great, however the view of the beach is awesome.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just returned from a week at Sunset Beach Resort stayed from Feb 15th to 22nd, 4 adults.

The resort was OK. Rooms were clean and simple but not enough towels provided. We stayed in B309 and 310 which were located 3 floors up from the Tamarind Bar and outside was one of the few designated smoking areas in the resort which became very noisy late at night.

Entertainment was good, the beach party and bonfire was entertaining as well as the steel drum band...but make sure you get there early as you might end up having to eat your meal while standing or have to take it to the main dining hall which is away from the entertainment.

The food was mediocre and became boring towards the end of the week, The chicken was always very good...better than we've had in Canada. We rarely saw beef or other types of meats offered at the buffet.

Ashtrays in the few designated smoking areas were rarely emptied except for Cynthia who had the worst job of all having to clean out the ashtrays and do the dirty work, but she ALWAYS had a smile on her face! Jackie at the Lobby Bar was good as well as Simone who made up our rooms, most other staff we found to be short and rude.

Spa was overpriced, we met other travelers who had services at the spa, were quoted a price but when it was time to pay, the price was bumped up by 10-15$ US. This happened in our group also.

Beach bag and contents including a 800$ iPhone 5, sunglasses, magazines etc. was stolen from the lobby smoking area and when reported to the front desk staff was very short, when they called security to file a report the security lady told me that the security manager would come and speak with me...he didn't show up so the following morning I went to the lobby to inform them and 25 minutes later he showed up. Then he took me to an office room where he went over the report and also wrote a statement of the events that occurred before the bag was lost. He then took me up to my room and went through all the drawers, the safe, mine and my friends suitcases and all the carry-on luggage with rubber gloves...he actually made us feel more like criminals not the victim and it was very intimidating to say the least. I requested a copy of all reports for my insurance company which was provided to me under my room door the following evening. Thank goodness for travel insurance!

Approx. 2 weeks before our trip, I emailed the resort to inform them that it was my parents 40th wedding anniversary and arrange to set something up for them (romantic dinner, bottle of champagne) but I did not hear back from them. Then while we were on our holiday the Thursday morning before our departure home on Fri Feb 22nd, I received a phone call in my room and it was guest services informing me that they had just received my email and wanted me to come down and look at the packages which were extremely overpriced to say the least and not to mention, by that time it was much too late as we were set to leave for the airport the following morning at 9:30am.

Towels ran out at the towel hut regularly and took 2 hours or more to replace.

There was a shortage of beach loungers as quite a few of them were broken.

Cups are small and smelly - they go into the dishwasher the same way that they are picked up, in a stack and not separated before they are loaded into the dishwasher. Saw it with our own eyes.

The best part of the trip was the heat and sunshine as well as the amazing people we met while on holiday!

We would return to Jamaica in a heartbeat but would not return to this resort.

Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I had our honeymoon at this resort and the warmth and friendliness of the staff was amazing. they are very accommodating to your needs and it always comes with a smile!! big shout out to Latoya of the entertainment staff.... you are truly a people person. keep up the good work. thanks to Patricia at the information desk for giving honest, open advice on whats good and at the best price, activity wise. overall the food was the best!!!!

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the ocean is magnificent!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sask, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family have recently returned from a weeks stay at Sunset Beach. We had a great week. Staff were very friendly and hard working. We ate at each of the A-la Carte restaurants - all were great. Other nights they had a Grand Gala and Beach Barbecue (although the later had to moved inside as there was concern over weather). We saw some awesome entertainment - Steel drum band, acrobats etc. We did have some confusion over where things were happening - which is main pool etc and activity staff where not as aggresive at letting people know about events as at other resorts I have been at.
We had upgraded to beach front room in East wing - loved it being able to step out onto beach. We were also close to Beach Bonfire.
Check out the Patty Man - fellow with a cart rides around resort selling patties, jelly coconuts etc all for $2 each. You can't miss him he will be blowing his horn - great guy.
Travelled with 11 year old nephew - we felt quite comfortable giving him some freedom. Great set up for this age kids - with teen club, water park etc.
Only negatives - these are minor - go early for towels as there often were none. Many of beach loungers are ready to be retired, but had less problem finding a lounger than any where else we have been.

Room Tip: We love having Beach Front - and as we were in East wing they were very quiet as at end of property...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!