“Great Place - Feb 2009 Travels” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Montego Freeport Peninsula | PO Box 1168, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
SAVE BIG THIS FALL!
Ranked #20 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Newmarket, Canada
“Great Place - Feb 2009 Travels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here in Feb 2009.

CHECK-IN
Quick & Easy

FOOD
Food was excellent! We ate at the buffet every evening except 1, and ate at the Italian A la carte

POOL
Pool areas clean & spread out, and a place for all ages with the Waterpark for the younger visitors.

BEACH
Clean and nice. When we were there they were building Secrets right next door.

ROOMS
Excellent for the price!

CONS - None that we encountered

We would recommend this resort to anyone wanting to stay in the Montego Bay Area looking for a family resort!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

4,124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel from 23-30th December 2012
Pros
Transfer from airport was 15mins
Nice view from the room (Bay view)
Friendly staff
Food is generally good
A la carte are excellent (esp asian and Italian)
Pool areas spread out. A place for all ages .
Water park is great if you have kids
Non motorized activities available at no cost.
Snorkelling was fun
Dunns river and dolphin cove combined is an excellent excursion to book esp for kids.

Cons
Rooms are ok, pretty small and basic.
Food can be repetitive at the buffet
Place needs a little tlc
Cats roaming around
Not much of a beach area

However, this place grows on you. This is not a 4 star but more of a 3.5 star. Would definitely go back during off peak season. Well worth the money then!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

i took my daughter there she had a good time but then she is 8 years old. The food wasn't the best and it could have been cleaner. The water park was ok but then again i kid puked in the pool and they didn't clean up and the ocean has lots of weeds.The staff was nice and helpful but i guess you get what you pay for!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

On first impression the Resort appears quite shabby and like a big warehouse. Rooms are basic, bathrooms are grubby and shabby. Missing bath plugs, and not much privacy as every single noise can be heard by people walking past the room! Restaurant needs a refurbishment but the Waiters and Waitresses make up for this in friendliness. Food is nice, but its self-service re drinks... In plastic tumblers! However, whilst spending days around the pool/water park we could relax in the knowledge that our children were safe. Lifeguards patrol the water slides area , and are very strict enforcing health and safety. We travelled with 3 small children, and the Resort staff were extremely friendly to our family. Also, the Resort's entertainment over the Christmas/New Year period was outstanding. A lot of effort to ensure their Guests had a lovely Christmas.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the quiet part of the Hotel, otherwise you might find yourselves staying in one...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I absolutely love this resort. Stayed here December 19 - 23, 2012.
From the moment of arrival I could see the look of approval on the face of all my family members. My party was a total of 9. (7 adults and 2 kids ages 4 & 12 yrs old). The front desk staff was truly amazing. They took care of me and my family in no time. I was even more appreciative of her suggestion for us to go eat lunch and then come back for our room keys after she gave us our wrist bands.

MY first experience also with the Bell Service. they secured our luggages in no time. VERY PROFESSIONAL AND EFFICIENT. Another thumbs up.
The Water Park was such a great bonus and bang for our bucks! It brought the kid inside all of us adults out..ha ha haaaaa.....Niiiice.
The Property? Thumbs up to the ground crew.These folks are constantly moving and making sure the garden remain in top condition. ALWAYS CLEAN. TRULY AWESOME!
The rooms are very comfortable and relaxing. The HOUSEKEEPING definitely get their KUDOS n THUMBS UP. And I requested the 3 rooms in the Garden/Mountain View area of resort and sooooooooooo glad I did. It was the most relaxing time. It's like being in my own home on the resort.
Food...the food was good. Would have loved a little more variety. BUT these chefs makes us feel great all day with all they've provided so I still gotta say THANKS TO THEM for making our trip as fun as it was.
Entertainment was good once it gets moving. But would love for them to add a few more fun things during the day. Kenijah -you're the best! you always had us laughing...
and so does the water areobics instructor..This instructor definitely knows how to "Bruck it dung"..LOL...non-stop energy.
Now the staff in the BAR!!! you guys are just amazing!!!! AMAZING...and AMAAAAAAZIN!!!!!!
Damian...I'm coming back for the Damian's special. And there may have been 2 different Ricardo's that was serving drinks to me and my brother-in-law. you both get the THUMBS UP sign.
NORDIA, my family members are pretty happy about you....So keep doing what you doing.
WE HAD SUCH A GREAT TIME....that we are planning to come back and spend more days this time.

Room Tip: If you want to quiet feel like you're at your home on the resort then request a room on the GARD...
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was the second time my husband and I spent a week at Sunset, we really enjoyed ourselves the first time so thought it would be a good resort to bring our three teenagers to for the christmas holidays.

The resort is older and could use some tlc but for your dollar, you can't beat this resort. They have made a few changes since my last visit, some for the good, some for the bad. The beachfront has improved tremendously, it's nice soft sand as apposed to three years ago when the water very rocky and you required water shoes to go in the water.

My husband loves the jerk chicken at the is offered at the at the Club Cafe, the only change they made was they now only offer the chic

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

***WE DID THE DAY-PASS ONLY, DID NOT HAVE A ROOM

We visited December 2012 (via the Carnival Conquest) and used the all inclusive day pass. This included all non-motorized water sports, water slides, all you can eat and drink. Everything was TO DIE FOR - except the food was under par.

The bar service was great, the watersport attendant was attentive and the kids loved the two huge waterslides. They were very easy going about my middle son being two inches too short to ride the slides. I loved the "beach access" pool for my 3 year old and the lazy river was a nice added touch. We also enjoyed the "kiddie" area for the tots.

I have to share that my favorite part was the protected beach area and sitting in the clear water digging for shells and rocks. We also partook in the paddle boat and sailboat. This was a truly laid back place, not one looking solely to get their next tip. I would definitely go back and hope to next year. I still rated it 5 stars, even with the food under par.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park? Share your experiences!