“Needs some updating” 2 of 5 stars

Summer Suite Sale
Ranked #4 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
“Needs some updating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

I recently visited the Half Moon as the location of a business meeting and was very disappointed. A total of 7 co-workers went with a booking of 5 rooms. All of us ran into problems of some sort or another. In one room the A/C didn't work and the person slept an entire night in the warm room until she was moved to another room the next day. Three of us had ants in our rooms all the time. No one's TV worked quite right. All of us had discrepencies in our bill upon check out. We were billed twice for the same meal as well as for items that we did not use out of the mini-bar. It was obvious my room hadn't been painted in years and the patio doors wouldn't close completely. The showers often varied in temperature. There were days that our rooms were not made up until sometime after dinner if at all for that day. We found the food nothing to right home about and very over priced. I've stayed at much nicer hotels for less money.

We did enjoy the free pool table in the Oleander Terrace and well as the general atmosphere of just being away from work and by the ocean. The staff were mostly very pleasent. I did see one of the most beautiful sunsets of my life one evening while sitting on the beach.

Make sure to bring bug spray with you everywhere since we all returned with multiple bites.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business

1,083 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

We were very disappointed with the non-responsivness of the hotel. We stayed in the villas and would not recommend the Half Moon Resort. It is no 5 star vacation.

• Stayed April 2005
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

My husband, myself and our 2 young children, ages 14 months and 4 years just returned from a terrific stay at the Half Moon. We were there June 11-21, 2005. We stayed in the Royal Suites which had an amazing view and was a stones throw away from a nice sandy beach. The room itself was nicely decorated, very clean and spacious. The patio was large and we spent lots of time eating outside and letting the kids play.
My husband played golf at the Half Moon Golf Course everyday at 8:30am. He was always back by 10:30 or 11.
We had a wonderful babysitter (from Half Moon) named Angella for our younger son. She was so good with him. She'd stroll him to help him fall asleep and when he was awake, she's take him over to the children's center with play in the baby pool or do the other fun things at the center. I always felt very comfortable with her watching him.
We had the platnium plan and used it to the hilt.....glass bottom boat rides, pony rides, horseback riding, golf, lots of room service, mini-bar, and eating at both the Royal Stocks and the Seagrape. (We never made it to either the italian place or the Sugar Mill since they didn't open for dinner until 6:30 and our kids are too tired by then.)
We also (for a fee) did scuba diving and the dolphin beach experience.
The grounds of the Half Moon are very spead out, which I liked. The Hybiscus pool was a 2 minute walk, the lobby was 4 minutes, the store was 7 minutes, etc. I got in lots of walking to help work off all those Daiquiris! The only problem was that my 4 year old got tired out. For longer distances (Dolphins, Scuba, Shoppes) we called for a cart.

Opinions on Activities and Food:
* My husband said that even though he only played 9 of the 18 holes (They're renovating the other 9), the course was beautiful and in great condition.
* Scuba was nice. Good fish, pretty coral. I'd rate it a 7 out of 10.
* Horseback riding was amazing! I did both the ocean and the mountain ride. I'd highly recommend both, but if you just do one, do the ocean ride.
* Glass bottom boat was nice for my 4 year old, but boring for me.
* Shopping was just OK, not a lot of variety and they have strange hours. The Store at the shoppes (Down the stairs) is much bigger and had a better variety of foods.
* Dolphins were awesome. Truly an incredible experience. Both my husband and myself and our 4 year did it and we ALL loved it. It wasn't too too expensive since the 4 year old was free.

Food:
*Since we have young kids, we ordered lots of room service. I got tired of the same old things, but some of the food was good. They need more of a variety on that menu. Also drinks almost always arrived a little on the warm side, which I didn't care for.
*The Royal Stocks was pretty good. I had the fish and chips.
*The Seagrape was the best in my opinion. Especially the lunch buffet. That was the best food in the resort by far!
Other:
* The art shack next to scuba is great. The man who makes everything has very reasonable prices and beautiful things. I wish I had bought more!
* The bugs weren't an issue at all. We only got a few mosquito bites.
* The hibiscus pool was so nice. We loved the swim up bar and my son loved the fountains to play in. Many an afternoon was spent there.
* As others have mentioned, bring lots of tip money in ones. I spent an average of $30.00 a day not counting golf tips. These people work hard for you and I felt they deserved it.

All in all, a wonderful relaxing vacation with the right balance of R&R and activities. We plan on going back next year, bringing some friends and getting a villa.

• Stayed June 2005
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

I just returned from a week stay at the Half Moon, June 20-26th. The hotel is great, my room was actually in the Royal Suites and not the Hibiscus Suites and I didn't mind at all. Instead of having one big room, we had a entry way, kitchen, living room, bedroom and a private patio facing the ocean. The resort is very well kept and the staff can be extremely helpful. The one frustrating thing was that when I was trying to arrange a shuttle to take us to the airport I talked to four people and was told four different things - I think that just might be Jamaica for you.

I caution people that stay there that it's very difficult to get off of the resort grounds (I've heard similar things about other MoBay resorts too) and staying on the resort grounds is VERY expensive if you don't have the meal plan. A cab into Montego Bay costs $50 roundtrip and any excursion that you'll book to take you to Ocho Rios, Negril, Falmouth, etc. will start at $55.

If you do stay on the resort grounds, ala carte room service is generally cheaper than anything you can get in the restaurants. I read in previous reviews that they had problems with room service but it was always ontime when we ordered it and it comes with a full table setting so you can sit on your patio and eat. We didn't have the all-inclusive plan so eating in the restaurants was very costly (there is a reason they don't post the prices on the website). We would either order room service and exisit off of that or go to one of two grocery stores on the property and buy snacks and pop (much cheaper than the mini-bar). We did eat at the Royal Stocks and IL Giardino which were both pretty good.

All-in-all it was a good trip. The rooms were well taken care of and the housecleaning staff was very good. I came back with pictures that look like they are from a post card. The resort is very quiet, not loud parties at night and no children running up and down the halls screaming (because there aren't any halls to run up and down). The beach there is beautiful and very peaceful and if you need anything they'll do their best to help you with it even though it may take awhile. We initially had a problem with hot water and 10 min after I stopped by the front desk, maintenance was in our room and had it fixed. Devon at the Cedars Bar out on the terrace was WONDERFUL - a great waiter and always kept our drinks full and by the end of our stay he would have the bartender start making them once he saw us coming.

Enjoy your stay!

Words of Wisdom:
Make sure to bring your bug spray. I read a review right before I left that mentioned bug spray but I didn't take any and was I sorry. I ended up purchasing at $12.00 bottle of OFF but it was my salvation at night. They have lots of mosquitos but also ants that bite and are all over.

Also, don't expect the customs process at the airport to go very fast. We waited for 45min once we got off the plane to get our passport stamped and then waited for the shuttle to the resort which wasn't so bad because the waiting area for the resort is really nice. When you leave to go home, make sure to get to the airport at least 2+ hours before your flight leaves. We were there 2 hours previous and would have missed our plane if we hadn't been able to cut in line in security.

• Stayed June 2005
Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2005

My wife and I arrived at the SLOWEST resort on the face of the earth. The rain could not be helped - (never listen to anyone from the island as to when the rain season is They lie!) - Anyway we had poor or no service through out the week. Call for service such as transportation, room service etc and none showed. Our safe key was cleaned up and thrown away by Housekeeping. They forced us to pay $150 for someone to drill out the $2 lock.

Then on top of it all, I came down with FOOD POISONING from a buffet at the resort. They tried to sweep it all under the rug, and offered no reconciliation. I was in bed (or the bathroom) for 3 days. Health inspectors were there but their comment were "No Worries Mon" A Psuedo-Nurse came by but offered nothing except to take stool samples.

Overall I would not go back to this resort if they paid me. Poor service and high costs make this a resort to cross off your lists forever.

N.J.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

S F C & Husband just returned from a most fabulous week at Half Moon.There were a couple of negative remarks I read on trip advisor and the only thing I can say about them is that perhaps they weren't at the Half Moon!!!!!!!! This place was CLEAN,the pesonnell were extemely Profesional, the Hibiscus suites were clean and well cared for.The cleaning people were always Attentive.THE bARTENDERS ALWAYS THERE WITH ANOTHER refreshment,EVEN bEACH SERVICE!!!! We met lovely people from Philly and perhaps we will be able to keep in touch with them at Longwood Gardens . I highly reccomend the Sugar mill restaurant. The Grouper was Exquisit! Perhaps people going in December are not as happy as the clientel going in May so may I recommend a May vacation at Half Moon. Even the Ritz Carlton People were flooded out and they were only toooo glad that Half Moon was recommended. The bottom line.... See for yourself this is the all inclusive to stay!!!
We had a great time Jill&Brian!!!!!

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

I returned about two weeks ago from my own destination wedding in Jamaica. We found this resort, and hosted a 40 person wedding at the Half Moon. Our guests stayed in the Royal Villas. What great service!! Everyone boasted about how great a time they had. As the bride, I was put in a Royal Suite for the days before the wedding, as well as three nights after. I didn't find them as awful as the others have written. They were spacious and had a wonderful private patio. The service all around was awesome. My wedding planner was Raquel Bernard, what a great pleasure to meet her. We had lots of planning over the internet, but after meeting her I trusted her 110% with all of the details of my special day. Everything was perfect!! As a wedding planner here in the United States, I can truly say that any bride would be lucky to have her involved. After the wedding, my husband and I tried out another resort to get away from the family. We didn't like it as much, and with the help of Jodie Samms (reservation specialist), we were able to return to the Half Moon. Not only that, but she upgraded us to an Imperial Suite. How amazing!! To be treated so well truly made our honeymoon great!! We are already planning on returning for an anniversary!! Thank you Half Moon!!

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!