“True Relaxation” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Farmington MN
“True Relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

I earned this trip through work, I was a bit nervous based on other reports I read here.
We stayed in a Villa, really wasn't sure how it would work and how it would be sharing common areas with people we didn't know.
We had a wonderful time, VERY relaxing, every need attended too!! The staff at the villa was "the best of the best!!" Alwayne, Melonie, and Denise were professional, sincere, warm, friendly and took very good care of us!
The rooms were beautiful, and the beds were as comfy as sleeping at home. Bathrooms were huge, and nicely appointed. The bar was always stocked and lots of snacks available 24/7.
Food was great, Melonie did a great job every morning, fresh and delicious!
Half Moon is lucky to have such loyal dedicated staff, they really are what made our stay so memoriable.
Sharing common areas was a pleasant surprise, we made some truly great friendships!
I enjoyed walking down to "our" pool only steps from our room. No rushing to save a chair, could go up and take a nap and return a couple hours later with everything just as we left it. This is the first all inclusive resort that I actually was served my cocktail in a glass- glass with fruit from a tray Alwayne carried out to us, never had to get out of the pool....he would carry them right over to you. Thank you Alwayne for making us feel so special!!
I can't say enough, we had a the trip we had hoped for.
I hope to some day return to paradise.... if you are fortunate enough to experience this with the outstanding staff mentioned above please tell them Kelly and Craig from MN say hi and we miss them!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

I recently returned from a fantastic week at Half Moon. The beach is beautiful and the restaurants were very good overall. The Sugar Mill and the Seagrape Terrace are both excellent. The only disappointment was the Italian restaurant. I never ate at the Royal Stocks, so can't comment on it. I can't say enough about how great the staff is...on the second night the air conditioner stopped working around midnight, they offered to send a repairman right away. I recommend getting the all inclusive plan and, if you can afford it, a beach front room. A standard room can end up being pretty far from the water. I travel a lot and this is by far one of the best resorts I've ever stayed at.

I stayed in a 2 bedroom Royal Suite, which is in fact a junior suite and Imperial suite with the adjoining door open. This fits four people very comfortably. The room itself is huge, plus it includes an outside area with tables and lounge chairs. It was also about 10 feet from the beach. The beach on this side of the resort is much nicer than on the Hibiscus side. The Hibiscus rooms are supposed to be the best, but our room was very nice and was much more convenient to everything. The only problem you might have is that it is not very close to the pool, but it's walking distance (no golf cart needed). I would request this area over the Hibiscus Wing.

The only problem I had was with booking the trip. I had originally booked a three bedroom villa through TRADEWIND TOURS. I spoke with the agent on the phone and received an email which said "the booking is complete and full payment will be taken soon". Then ONE WEEK before we were set to leave I received an email from the agency saying they had not been able to make the reservation and I in fact had no room. They also said the hotel had only a standard room available for those same dates, if I wanted it. When I called them, very upset, they denied having ever confirmed the reservation. I showed them the written confirmation they had sent me, however they still refused to take any responsibility for the problem, for the false confirmation and for waiting a month to contact me.

I wrote to the reservations manager at Half Moon hoping someone would help me salvage this trip. Less than two hours later, on a weekend no less, I got an email from Ms. Jackie Gordon at Half Moon. She ended up helping me book a suite for the same dates (even though Tradewind said there were none available). I am so thankful for her quick responses and all her wonderful help. Ms. Gordon gave me all this help and saved my trip, despite the fact that Half Moon had nothing to do with the reservation error, it was all Tradewind Tours. The agent I originally dealt with was Marsha Hoyte, but I ended talking to many people there, including the owner. Each one was ruder and less helpful than the one before. And at no time did any one of them ever say 'we've made a mistake and we'll try and fix it' I was offerd only excuses and brush offs. Do NOT use this travel agency.

However, thanks to Ms. Gordon at Half Moon I was able to enjoy five relaxing days at this gem of a resort. I would recommend this resort to everyone and I am already planning my return trip for next year.

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2005

This was our first trip to Jamacia and I was a bit worried reading some bad reviews on Half Moon Cay. However, we had a great time staying 5 nights, 6 days at Half Moon. On our arrival the first night, we checked into a lovely room with an ocean view, but discovered double beds in our room when we had booked a king bed. The desk clerk was very apologetic and found us a villa with a king bed. However, our bellman convinced us we were staying on a better side of the resort, and took us over to the villa in his golf cart for a look before we switched rooms. Although the villa looked fine, it had no ocean view and we decided to stay with his recommendation, and he called back the front desk for us, asking for a king bed the next night in the same area. We did not know it at the time, but we were in the area with the new Hibiscus Suites. The next night, the front desk moved us right across the hall to the same type of lovely room, but with a king bed and ocean view. The bathroom was large, mostly marble, with a separate shower & tub for 2. Definitely recommend requesting the Hibiscus suites--they all have balcony views of the ocean and were built within the last couple of years. There are 2 large pools right outside the suites and a jacuzzi, plus swim-up bar and many good beach spots in this area. The Oleander Wing is cheaper in price, but those rooms looked much older.
Half Moon is a gorgeous property with nice landscaping and fun to explore--we rented bikes and rode all around the resort. The food at all the resort restaurants ranged from above average to excellent, but is quite expensive. However, we found that most tourist restaurants around the island charged exorbitant prices. I would definitely check into an all-inclusive or meal plan for breakfast since it was $16 per person for the breakfast buffet with no plan. Half Moon also offered lot of different activities right on the resort--tennis, horse back riding, bicycle rentals, swimming with dolphins, scuba, etc. The scuba diving was expensive and the boat was pretty old & small, but the dive instructors seemed to know what they were doing and if you don't mind the Jamacian laid back island style "yeah, mon, grab your dive tank," the diving is fine. All in all, the staff was polite and usually accomodating and we loved Half Moon--I would definitely recommend it to anyone else travelling to Jamacia.
On Jamacia itself, we've been to several Caribbean islands to include Bahamas, USVI, Aruba, and Cayman Islands, and here's how I would sum up Jamaica: one of the most beautiful islands with much to offer, one of the most expensive islands for tourists, and one of the most poverty ridden. We ventured into downtown Montego Bay, and drove from there to Ochios Rios. With the exception of a few shopping strips, everywhere outside the resort seems pretty impoverished. We were used to seeing some humble dwellings on other islands but were still surprised how the locals lived in Jamacia. You can easily find a local to go into town with you or take you on a tour, and all our cab drivers kept us safe and accompanied us when required. We were also surprised how pricey Jamacia is--you can definitely have a nice Caribbean vacation for much cheaper on another island, but Jamacia is quite large and leaves much to be explored, whether you want mountains, beach, waterfalls, diving, etc. All in all, it was a very relaxing trip.

• Stayed May 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Half Moon for a week in late April. What is surprising is that nobody yet has said anything that happened this week. That's why I am writing now.

First of all, let me start before the drama. After reading these reviews everyday, I decided that I would be quite persuasive with the front desk in demanding that we get a room in the newly renovated Hibiscus Wing. No such luck. All booked up. Oh well. What she did give us, though was a Royal Suite in the Oleander Wing (an upgrade!). The suite was absolutely huge! Four large rooms with the main windows facing the ocean. Absolutely beautiful!

Yes, the service was slow, at times, painfully. It was more than once I had to seek down the waiter and ask him for the check.

Rent the bikes, the place is quite large and it was revitalizing. Also, we took the bikes to a deserted part of the beach, fairly close to the dolphins and had a nice picnic. There was nobody around except for us. Quite nice.

Yes, the place is gorgeous, the staff is extremely friendly (I said hello more times that week than I said in a year) and the food is pretty good (probably a 7.5 on a 10 scale). Oh! And no lobsters or crabs! I know I should of read up on this, but there are a few months during the year in which they can not hunt for these critters due to some reproducing time that they need. (Wink!) Unfortunately, we were there during their "alone time."
We went on 2 excursions - the ATV riding up the mountain - recommended! (First time I drove one of those) and the bamboo raft excursion - not recommended (we were getting the "buy my gord crafts" from our own captain!).

Anyway, on Wednesday, April 27th there was a large storm that dropped 6-1/2" of rain in only 4 hours. "An extremely rare occurance" according to the staff. "Even worse than the hurricanes." What happened was that the rains were so intense that it created a mini-river which collapsed about 30 feet of the retainer wall which was right by the shops at the front entrance. This "river" then proceeded to run through the lobby, through the Seagrape restaurant, through the Italian restaurant (I forget its name), washing through to the beach, exposing the boulders under the sand in some spots, and finally running off into the ocean. The water also happened to get into some cottages in the Hibiscus Wing. Fortunately my wife and I were put in the Oleander wing, and were clueless to what was going on.

Later in the evening, when the rains subsided, we got dressed up, ready to go to the Seagrape Terrace for a nice dinner. It was then when we noticed the destruction that this rain had caused. Not only was the beach partially erroded (when partially, I mean about three areas on the beach about 10 feet in width in which the boulders were exposed from the beginning of the sand to the ocean), there were mounds of dirt/clay everywhere on the sidewalk, making it more a hiking expedition than a simple walk to dinner. The restaurants were flooded as well as the lobby and chaos decided to check-in. Word got out that the food and drinks were free that evening, which was great for those who were not on the all-inclusive plan (which we were on), but this also made for a free-for-all in the buffet area up the stairs from the lobby (rather dispicable, really). My wife and I got our food to go and headed back to our dry suite. We were sure that the rest of our vacation would be as intense as that buffet line. We were wrong.

All night the staff labored with their squigees (sp?), mops and shovels (all clay, remember) and worked their a---- off making the resort presentable. When we woke up the next morning, we were surprised by the progress they had made in just 8-10 hours. In a full day, maybe day and a half, the lobby and the restaurants were back to normal, looking as good as the day we got there. (I am a bit unsure of how quickly it took them to dry out those affected suites.) Some of the other areas took longer to clean, such as the tennis courts and the gardens west of the Hibiscus Wing (close to the dolphins), but in such a short amount of time, with such an amount of devestation, the resort had shown its true colors and performed exceptionally.

BTW, I was told that our next door neighbor, the Ritz had to close down their whole resort because of this storm. Some poor folks had to actually go home, while others came to the Half Moon.

The only real downside from the storm was that it clouded up the waters for the rest of the week (at least up till that next Saturday), which was really not a huge deal. We, ultimately had a great time, and the resort sure put forth a great effort to make everybody's stay a lot more comfortable despite such an uncomfortable circumstance.

One last note: we heard that at least one person on Montego bay lost their life due to that storm. Our thoughts and prayers go out to that person and family.

Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2005

I was surprised to read some negative reviews of this resort. I have been to Half Moon 3 times in the last 4 years, and count it as one of my favourite resorts. The last 2 times have been with my wife and 3 1/2 year old.
This resort is superb for families (and I think that it would be great for couples as well, because the size of the resort means that people do not tend to be congregated in one specific area). It is about 10 minutes from the airport; as opposed to the long bus rides to Negril or Ochos Rios; and it is a large scale resort. The beaches have shallow areas which allow children to play and there is a children's "park" with a mini pool. The resort is so large it never seems crowded. The golf course is a Robert Trent Jones course; and the tennis courts and pros are great. Because Half Moon has been developed over the years, the rooms are not all cookie cutter the same. It is key to avoid the Oleander wing, as it is getting creaky. The new Hisbiscus suites look great, but our preference is for the Royal Suites or Villas around the Oleander pool. The staff is always friendly. If there are problems at the front desk for whatever reason, it is necessary to speak to a manager, because the staff does not appear to have authority to correct the problems -- the manager is usually sitting at the desk beside the business centre, right beside the front desk. As for food and drink, the meal plan is a necessity as prices are rather steep: if you are not on the plan, the commissary by the Oleander pool is a full size covenience store and pricing is reasonable. On the restaurants, the Royal Stocks is really a pub (not a steak house); and has pub style food. The staff there are fantastic with children. The other restaurants have great food, with the Sugar Mill at the top of the ladder. This is one of the few resorts that I have been at that met or exceeded all my expectations (and they were many). If you want an upscale resort experience this is the place. If you are looking for extensive nightlife, or a Club Med type organized resort experience, then this is not the place to go.

• Stayed February 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a four-night stay at the Half Moon Resort. We were traveling with a large office group. All of us were on the Platinum all-inclusive plan, which was a gift to all the employees. Very excited about the trip, I went to tripadvisor and read all the reviews. Our accommodations were already reserved for us. We did not have a choice of rooms, so we were hoping that we would not end up in the “infamous Oleander Wing”, but we decided that we were going to have a great time, no matter how bad the room. It was a free trip, after all…and this was a 5 star resort. We were bound to have a good time.

Arrival in Jamaica:

We were ushered to the immigration room and stood in long lines to have our passports stamped. It went pretty slow, but while we stood in line, a group of Jamaican singers in colorful costumes sang to us and that was a nice touch. Then, we collected our baggage and were whisked away to waiting buses to take us to Half Moon. This went very quickly.
The drive took about 15 minutes or so. People there drive on the left side, and there was much horn honking and haphazard driving all around us on a crowded 2 lane dusty paved road. I would not want to rent a car there. You see signs of poverty around you but you also see tall mountains covered in thick foliage on one side, and a turquoise ocean on the other.

The Resort:

We arrived to what was like a fortress entrance with tall black wrought iron gates and a guard station. The resort was hidden behind a wall and much vegetation. As the gates swung open, it was like entering The Secret Garden. We went up the drive and onto a circular driveway under a large white portico, which was the lobby building. It reminded me of the portico at the White House. Friendly bellmen ushered us into the open-air lobby. It had a formal feel. Our luggage was lined up by the curb, to be collected later, when we got our room keys. Since we were in a large group, we were ushered upstairs to a private ck-in room above the main lobby. We were given maps of the resort and our room numbers, but not the keys. Our flight had arrived in the morning, so we had to wait until 3 pm to get our room keys, they told us. At that time, we would go to the front desk and inquire. In the meantime, some of our group changed into swimwear and began the vacation. My husband and I took a walking tour around the property. It was very hot and we were tired, so it was a short tour. They did offer us a hospitality suite with rum punch and juice. We ate lunch at the Sea Grape Terrace. Food was pretty good. They had a menu with variety. There was also a luncheon buffet there. It was really nice.
The property covers over 400 acres along the ocean. All the buildings are painted white, except for the shopping village there and the hospital, which are painted bright yellow. To get around this vast property, you are driven around in large golf carts or small mini buses by the bellmen. There are stations all around the property to wait for a ride, which comes along every 10 or 15 minutes…sometimes less. This is all complimentary for the guests, but I always gave them a dollar or two each time I used this service…sometimes we would stroll the grounds on paths. It can be a long walk for some to the lobby, but many did it anyway. It’s good exercise if you have on the right shoes. You can also rent a golf cart for 40.00 a day and bikes too (not sure of that price).

Ck-In:

At 3 pm we went to the desk, and just as your reviews stated, our room was not ready yet. “Come back in 15 minutes”, they said. To kill time, we attended a talk upstairs for new arrivals. The people were very informative and we ended up booking an excursion on a catamaran called The Dreamer for a rum punch booze cruise around the bay. They told us not to wander in town at night and above all, do not buy any drugs offered to us outside the resort. Never pay full price in stores for souvenirs. Always offer half price to start. After the talk we went back to the front desk at around 3:45. The room was still not ready. Sat in the bar for a while. Finally, at 4:15 we got clearance from the head maid. I learned that the closer your room was to the lobby, the sooner you got your room. Some in our group got theirs right away. The front desk offered us a safe key and lock for the mini safe in our suite, but told us that if we lost it, it would cost 150.00. We did get the key because I thought it was necessary after reading some reviews. The bellman then loaded our luggage into a golf cart and we were on our way to our suite. This is the way the property is laid out.on one side of the lobby are the cottages which house different types of accommodations and they have their own pools. They sit on the only part of the beach at the resort that is rock free and you can swim in the ocean there. It is a busy spot, however, being close to the lobby and restaurants. On the other side of the lobby, you walk down a lush path with beautiful shrubbery and flowers and go past a number of 2 story buildings called The Hibiscus Suites…they are ocean front on one side, and 2 large pools on the other side set in tropical gardens. These are the newest buildings and the most desirable. They are in the Key West style with plantation shutters. The two pools there are great. One is a free form pool with swim up bar…a real popular place to hang out in the afternoon…the next pool is an Olympic sized lap pool…next you drive past the Royal Villas suites…these are older and architecture has a Spanish influence…but they are very charming and is one long building housing numerous multi- room attached bungalows …some upstairs and some down…each has an outside entrance. They are very nicely furnished with dark mahogany and antiques and nice colorful fabrics. They are great for families. Some have private pools and others share a pool. The part of the ocean they face is shallow, because of a reef out in the water…. you can walk to the reef and explore tide pools…there are also areas of sandy beach and lounge chairs for sunning outdoors…many people just put their chairs right in the shallow water…It was nice. After this section of the resort, you came to what are called the Royal and Oleander suites (not to be confused with the Oleander WING)…these are numerous square 2 story colonial 4 plex structures and this is where we stayed. They were built in the 1950’s or so, and our suite was in one of these buildings. Some are right on the water and some just steps from it. Ours was in a downstairs unit. When we walked inside I was struck at how large the room was…about 21 ft. by 16 ft…. and we had a little kitchen as well and a bathroom with a shower/tub that was about 9x9. We also had a terrace with patio furniture. The room had 5 sets of French doors with drapes you could pull shut. The floor was all large white tiles with a black diamond pattern. The room was very cute, I thought, even though it was somewhat dated…but it was clean and comfortable, especially the bed. We had lots of furniture in it…the kitchen had a little stove and full sized frig. that was stocked daily with beer, soft drinks, tonic water, club soda, wine and champagne…and bottled water. Also, on the counter were little bottles of liquor…all stocked daily. The freezer had ice trays…there was an old fashioned percolator, coffee and tea and sweeteners…dishes and pots and pans. There were minor things that needed some updating….for instance, the bathroom door stuck and would not close all the way because it was swollen from the humidity and age. No ventilation in there, either, so you have to leave the door ajar when showering, otherwise it steams up and gets hot. The bath fixtures work, but they need replacing for cosmetic reasons. Water gets hot very fast in the shower, so you just barely open that valve and open the cold tap all the way to get the right temp. And it is a very powerful showerhead in there…I was nearly blown out of the shower the first time I used it. It stings when you have a little sunburn. The bulbs in the bathroom were dim and I had to call to get them replaced with brighter ones. We were missing a few little items in the kitchen. The TV reception was a little fuzzy but we got all the major networks. After we had been in this suite for a couple days, we felt very comfortable and these little inconveniences no longer were an issue. I will say, though, that when I called housekeeping for the items, it took 3 phone calls to get service…the last one to the front desk….after that, no more problems. Each morning, I left 3 dollars for the maid and she did little extra things to make us even more comfortable…extra towels…things like that. And each room gets 3 big beach towels every day.

Oleander Wing:

I was dying to get a look at this wing after reading the reviews, so the next morning I took my camera and walked to it. It was just past our suites and past a pool with a restaurant called the Oleander Terrace, where they served a continental breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is a two story rectangular block of rooms facing the ocean…and very close to the water. The location is far from the lobby but the shuttle stop is very close. This is a great location; actually, because it is next to a long stretch of open beach dotted with palapa beach umbrellas and lots of nice lounge chairs. Also, the dolphin encounter is there. One can just walk steps to the Oleander Terrace. This end of the resort is not so busy but it is a great place to go lie out and read a good book. I walked to the open doors where the maids were just finishing up some rooms. They were very nice and let me take a peek and some photos too. All the rooms were alike except for the prints on the bedspreads and curtains. The rooms are your average motel size, but I was expecting a real dump, and this was not at all what I saw. See my photos and judge for yourselves. They were not at all fancy, but clean and charming. I will say that they are not as luxurious by a long shot as many other accommodations on the property, and are over priced. They belong in a 3 star resort. But they are by no means dark, scary, dirty, or some of the other descriptions I read about. I think they catered to the younger hotel guests who were there.

Beyond the Oleander Wing, way out on a point, are the very pricey huge villas where royalty and wealthy paying guests stay. They come with a staff. We never saw them, except from afar, but I can imagine they were quite lovely inside.

Services:

My husband bought an Internet card in the business office. They cost around 14.00 for an hour. We did not bring our laptop for fear of leaving it in the room, but I saw many people with laptops, so you decide. There were no Internet connections in our suites, but perhaps the pricier ones had it. My husband’s Nextel cell phone service did not work there but my Cingular service worked great. It costs about 1.99 a minute.

Excursion:\

We were shuttled over to the Sandal’s Montego Bay Resort to board the catamaran booze cruise. So got to see some of that resort. It looks much better in photos than in person. Beach is small, crowded and buildings look worn out. It looked like the type of place a college student might go to for spring break. The other Sandals resorts may be better, but not this one. I would never go there. The excursion, on the other hand, was so much fun. Take Dramamine before you go! That catamaran plows through the ocean and the waves come right up and get you soaked if you are in the front end. But that was fun for us. The rum punch is potent, so be careful. We stopped at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville. That is another place for young people to go and get wasted. There is a tube waterslide in the bar and it dumps you out into the ocean. Fun to watch people shooting through the tube like a bullet…it’s fast.

Restaurants:

All the food we ate at the resort was very good. Again, service is slow at the tables, especially when it comes to bringing coffee, tea and water. I had to ask a couple times for my beverage. But everyone is so nice. You can opt for a buffet at any meal and they are bountiful. It’s especially nice to dine outdoors at the Sea Grape Terrace. There is live music in the evenings…very good dancing music…low key…sophisticated and it is very romantic out there by the candlelight and the ocean right next to you. We had a very nice time there each evening before and after dinner, dancing and just enjoying the moment.

Overall impression:

I can’t give this resort 5 stars because the service is so slow for that caliber of a hotel. Some areas need renovation and I have seen much more luxurious resorts for much less money elsewhere. I can only guess that some wealthy clientele keep coming there each year for the total privacy the resort offers them with those large villas. But apart from that, I would never pay those prices. 9.00 for a cocktail…25.00 a person for breakfast and about 35.00 for lunch and dinner for two with wine was over 200.00 on the average. The whole place reminds me of one of those grand old Hawaiian type plantations that needs a facelift here and there. Last year was their 50th anniversary, and I saw a photo in the lobby of the Grimaldi family of Monaco, standing in front of a Half Moon grand villa in 2004, along with their staff. There were many photos, in fact, of other notable guests, as well. Impressive, but for our hard earned vacation money, there are so many places where your dollar will go farther. I was glad, though, to have been able to enjoy my 4 free nights here. We had a great time. It is a one of a kind resort.
At the end of your vacation, make sure you get to the airport at least 2 hours before departure. The ck-in procedure is tedious and lines can get long.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

The place itself is very large and has several different styles of rooms. Depending on where you stay, you can either be very close to the main resort with a new beach front suite, or you could be a mile (literally) away with an older 4 bedroom villa. The villas are scatterred all over the resort and each have their own private pool, common living area and kitchen. They also come with a butler and a maid! They provide golf carts for people in the villas and for good reason, you are very far away from the main area.
They are alright, but older and quite frankly would not be my choice. The butler and maid are cool, they cook breafast for you in the morning and will even do your laundry. Pretty cool I guess, but I would rather eat at the main area buffet and my laundry was not a big concern. The newer beach front suites are where you want to stay, and are close to the main facility and the 2 main pools. They are very clean, have 2 tv's and a very large bathroom. Worth the extra money for these if you can get them!!

The meals were pretty good all around, not Great, but pretty good. The staff were very friendly for the most part and in general were very courteous and helpful. Bar service was extremely slow, but that is common anywhere in the caribbean. The night life was lacking. There was a dinner band that played every night, but other than that, not much to do at all!
Very expensive place if not on the all inclusive.

All in all it was a positive experience, very clean and we enjoyed it.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!