“Wow and wow again!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Wow and wow again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I love everything about this resort. It's only 15 minutes from the Montego Bay airport (no airplane noise) with Montego Bay itself only another 15 to 20 minutes further away. The lobby is huge and open in some areas. As you pull up, you can feel the warmth of the staff as they open your door and welcome you. Check in was easy and fast (thanks to Danneka Delisser). Our room was on the ground floor of a four suite building (Oleander Suite) with a walkout patio to the beach. The room is huge as is the bathroom and is very nice. The resort sits on over 400 acreas and includes an equestrian center, golf course, shopping center, Dolphin lagoon, kids play area, several restaurants and bars. There are also numerous villas of varying sizes. We were able to visit and tour the villa that Prince Harry stayed in when he visited Jamaica and Half Moon. We rented bikes and road around a small portion of the property. We even rode our bikes under the road to get to the golf course (the main road from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios dissects the property with the suite and Villas on the beach side while the golf course is on the other side of the road). The food was awesome, service was excellent and the accommodations perfect.
I want to go back......!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience.

Half Moon offers the best in Luxury for families; our beautifully appointed rooms, suits, cottages and villa each come with the true Caribbean personality. Boredom is simply not an option at Half Moon the entire family can enjoy an unparalleled range of activities on land or sea: thirteen lit tennis courts, squash, horseback riding, cycling, swim with the dolphin, snorkeling, windsurfing and not to be left our Anancy Children’s Village…just to name a few.

Thank you for recognizing the staff members for their hospitality, particularly Danneka, your kind comments will be shared with her.

Many thanks again for sharing your lovely review; we are delighted you enjoyed your Half Moon experience; it was a pleasure serving you.

Director of Resort Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Belmont, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This resort looked too gorgeous and amazing to pass up so we decided to splurge and spend the last 3 days of our vacation here after 5 days at the Hilton Rose Hall. I was traveling with my husband 12-year old son during 4th week of April.

Pros -We loved the dolphin swim. We opted for middle level for $155 which gives you the full experience. Our bungalow on the beach #155 was incredibly nice. It was not at all like a hotel room, but like a beautifully appointed beach house. The art on the walls was art you would want to own. Our very large terrace smack on the water had 2 tables for dining, a very comfortable cushionylounge chair in the shade and several lounge chairs that could be moved around. We enjoyed having lunch delivered one afternoon and eating in our bathing suits on our terrace. There was a $6 delivery fee but the food and drink was included as part of the meal plan. Also the drinks and snacks in the fridge are included but no one explains that. Which brings me to the Cons:
We were immediately disappointed by the service after the unusual warmth of the staff at the Hilton. After a couple days we met several very warm, lovely members of the staff especially the waitresses at the Sea Grape. However, our first impressions were not good and throughout the stay, we found a lot of people hinting for a tip which we did not encounter at all at the Hilton. As I was walking to the room, I was greeted by a charming woman who went into her standard hard sell about the spa. She gave me her usual shpiel that I should prepare my skin for the sun not really looking at me to notice that I was already very tan after several days in the sun and then she said "I want to make sure I get the benefit of your sale." When we arrived in our gorgeous room there were 2 towels and 2 bottles of water so I called the front desk and politely explained there were 3 of us (which they knew as they certainly were charging us for 3) and requested a third towel and a few extra bottles of water. Daneka who answered the phone made me feel as if I was making an outrageous request by responding "a FEW bottles of water!?" in a shocked tone. Taken aback I asked "Is that an unreasonable request?" and she replied "You already have 2 bottles." This is at a hotel that is charging $800 day! We then went to the pool with a swim up bar. While I was over by the bar, my husband requested towels. The pool attendant delivered them to my husband. When my husband didn't tip him (he usually does, but we knew gratuities were covered with the platinum plan so we hadn't thought to bring money to the pool.) The pool attendant came over to where I was and stood in front of me waiting for a tip. And the bartender was not at all friendly. None of this would have bothered us so much had we not just been at the Hilton where the staff was so lovely and friendly, no one ever hinted for a tip and they all seemed to genuinely want us to have a great stay. Be sure to read the book in the room which will acquaint you with the hotel. We felt that the front desk staff should explain much more. While there is a lot to recommend Half Moon, it was not as lovely as we expected. The service should have surpassed the Hilton not paled beside it.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I'm just returning home from spending 10 glorious days at Half Moon - how lucky can a gal get?! My trip was organized by an outside party to participate in tennis clinics and ITF tournament. The tennis facility was fabulous: from well maintained hard courts, to world ranked junior pros available for a hit, courts lit at night, to cold water courtside, towels and friendly fitness staff - a tennis player's paradise!
I stayed in a Royal Suite with a private terrace leading out to a secluded beach and the Caribbean Sea - which was so perfect after a day of tennis. But when I wanted more activity, that was also an option. What I discovered is that there truly is something for everyone! Half Moon has so much to offer and can tailor your needs accordingly.
Lastly, the Italian restaurant "II Giardino" on-site needs to be mentioned and recommended. The food was exquisite: the meals, wine and staff amazing - even the most discerning taste could be satisfied - kudos to chef Gilardoni!
I've now been four times to Jamaica. This trip not only exceeded my expectations but was definitely the best - I recommend it wholeheartedly!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and myself stayed here for four nights this past week (our second visit, this time for my birthday). We think it is a great, well-run property, with a beautiful beach, good food, and fun, friendly staff. We stayed in a top floor Junior Suite. The room was lovely, the bathroom was huge, and the private, sea view balcony was spectacular.

The staff is great overall, but a few people really stood out for us. Stacian (Seagrape Terrace) and Rohan (Sugar Mill restaurant) were both very professional and efficient, but still friendly. Stacian was so on top of everything, and Rohan took the time to answer our endless questions about the Jamaican music scene, which my husband is especially interested in -- a highlight of our dinner. Desmond (Room Service) worked very hard to make sure we always had everything we needed, but was still casual and fun to joke with, which we loved. The spa is worth a visit, and Primrose is an excellent masseuse. Dean at the Bell Desk is awesome. We would also like to give a special thank you to Pat at the Front Desk. On our last day, we had a late flight, but the hotel was full so they could not grant us late checkout. Pat went above and beyond to ensure that we were taken care of. Thanks to her initiative and creative problem-solving, our checkout/travel day last day was as relaxing as every other day. She didn't have to go out of her way, but she did, and it made a real difference in our experience.

There were a couple of very minor hiccups, as there is anywhere, but the staff was responsive and swift in addressing them. There were quite a few events happening at the resort over the weekend, and you could tell the staff was working hard to keep up with it all. But they never appeared stressed. The free wifi didn't work on the beach for us, but that was fine, and in our room it was perfect - never down, and much faster than a lot of other hotels we have stayed at. Their food prices are definitely on the high side, and I would highly recommend getting the Half Moon plan to minimize your F&B costs.

Overall, a very relaxing 45th Birthday trip for me, made even better by the fact that the staff kept saying "Happy 40th! (or 20th)" upon my instruction. ;-)

Room Tip: If you book a Junior suite, as we did, ask for the top floor. The balconies are amazing!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Treasured Guests,

What a thrill to hear that you had another wonderful experience at Half Moon, A RockResort.

There is never a dull moment at Half Moon with an over 60-year tradition of impeccable hospitality that has lured international royalty, heads of state and celebrities, Half Moon, is one of the premier event destinations in Jamaica; it’s no doubt you had had a great birthday.

We are delighted you relished your spa experience. The Fern Tree spa is a 68,000 square feet sanctuary for the mind and body – where our guests will find traditional Jamaican treatments together with a variety of wellness facilities. Thanks for the compliments for the Masseuses Primrose. Thank your for recognizing our dedicated team, our staff members are truly the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of our guests and make each visit and each occasion special. We will certainly share your compliments with the names mentioned.

Thank you again for your patronage, your Half Moon family looks forward to your next visit in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I cannot say enough about this amazing resort and their wonderful staff! My husband and I were married at Half Moon in December 2014, so needless to say this review is longer over due. From the moment we started the planning process we were treated exceptionally with fabulous suites on each visit. The Hibiscus Suites have the most magnificent views but if you are able to splurge nothing beats the Imperial Suite, which allowed us plenty of room for making gift bags as well as a beautiful backdrop for taking getting ready photos of the boys! Our wedding planner, the amazing Tashane Castillo, went above and beyond in every possible way.
Our dream was to get married on the beach but an unrelenting storm that day threatened to ruin our plan. The ceremony was moved to the covered portion of Oleander Terrace until, five minutes prior to our ceremony the rain let up, and Tashane (along with the help of our family and friends) moved the entire ceremony back down to the beach. We were blissfully unaware of all of this thinking the ceremony had always been set up on the beach showing how flexible and graceful Tashane and her team were under pressure. Mrs. Henry, the florist, was able to capture my vision through emailed photographs, and helped to transform the space into an unconventional lounge of sofas, banquettes and cocktail tables that truly captured our desire for everyone to eat, drink and dance at their own pace! My husband’s grandmother lived across the street from the Half Moon for many years making it a second home for him and his family. That said we were still quite surprised when we met Mrs. Lee, our exceptional cake baker, who upon seeing his last name realized she had know his grandmother year ago. It was as though it were meant to be. Her rum cake goes down in history as the best wedding cake I have ever had! Due to the strong family ties to this wonderful island, my husbands cousins were married at Half Moon a few years prior, we had no doubt we made the right decision by following in their footsteps when choosing Reverend Courtney Walters to marry us and Michael Saab to capture it all on film. The entertainment that Tashane helped us to arrange from the exceptional classical guitarist, David Hayle, to the steel drum band and finally to the one and only Alrick Forbes who kept our dance floor packed well beyond his scheduled time made for an unforgettable evening, which was such a treat.
From beginning to end the Half Moon, and especially Tashane, made every effort to accommodate all of our wishes. Our guests were welcomed in a private lounge with rum punch and beautiful ocean views allowing them to check in in style. This exceptional treatment continued throughout their stay and has lead to a large group planning their return visit this year. We can’t wait to return and thank everyone again in person!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your lovely TripAdvisor review.

We are thrilled you had a wonderful experience, Half Moon is truly a phenomenal resort – there is always something for everyone…our unmatched array of accommodations, amenities and attractions have kept our guests returning again and again. Happy you enjoyed your accommodation; for the ultimate in elegance and luxury it’s the imperial Suite, these private and graceful suites are classic in design.

The Half Moon team continues to create experiences of a lifetime for any special event, for the ultimate fantasy wedding, there is no better destination than Half Moon. Our Romance Specialists can expertly guide you through every detail: from our array of romantic locations to floral arrangements, colour palettes, food, photographer and music – all the way down to the boutonnieres. We are delighted your special occasion was all you anticipated.

Thank you for your kind compliments for our Romance Specialist Tashane and indeed the entire team; they have delivered another experience that have left indelible.

It was our pleasure hosting your beautiful wedding and your special guests; thank you for selecting Half Moon, the team looks forward to welcoming you back in December for your first Anniversary.

Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We spent a week at Villa 87 with 4 other couples for a fun week of tennis, golf, spa dates and just hanging out. The resort is beautiful. The spa and it's setting exotic and incredibly relaxing while the massage I had eased the ache from playing tennis every day.
I have to say that the 3 C's...Carmen our chef, Charles our butler and Cadilla our housekeeper took all the extra steps to make our vacation memorable, relaxing and fun with amazing meals and wonderfully attentive service! They are the BEST!

Room Tip: We absolutely loved the villa experience...very close to the water, although not on the beach we cou...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guests

The Half Moon team would like to thank you for your generous review on your recent experience with us. We are thrilled with your comments; the staff members are truly the ones who create memorable experiences of a lifetime for our many valued guests.

We are pleased you enjoyed your Royal Villa accommodation; the villas are ideal choice for family, friends and group gatherings. Happy the three C’s Carmen, Charles and Cadilla created a memorable vacation for you.

We truly appreciate your choosing Half Moon, and look forward to the pleasure of serving you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My wife and I and 2 kids (ages 7 and 5) had an amazing time at Half Moon. One of the highlights was the children's village and camp - the staff there are amazing and they offer a wide variety of activities for the kids. We highly recommend this if you are looking for a restful week away with younger children.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity, Many thanks for sharing your lovely review; we are thrilled you enjoyed your Half Moon experience.

Half Moon truly has something for everyone – with our wide array of activities whether it be: Golf, Tennis, Squash, Fitness, Spa, Equestrian, Water sports, the Dolphin Lagoon or just lazing on the beach; there is always something to relish.

Delighted our important little guests enjoyed their experience, we love our kids so much we have dedicated an entire village to them. Modeled after a character out of Jamaica folklore, Anancy’s adventures will surely entertain children of all ages.

Again, thank you for your review and for selecting Half Moon– the team looks forward to welcoming you back to your family get-away.

Director of Resort Operations

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!