“Massive Old School Caribbean Resort with Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Suite Sale
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Bethesda, MD
“Massive Old School Caribbean Resort with Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My girlfriend and I just returned from Half Moon, where my friend was married. We had a great time and were especially happy with the service we received from the staff as a whole.

The staff across the board (stoped in at other villas and suites) was great and really made you feel like welcome and relaxed. Everyone was able to help us with everything we asked about (different foods, activity suggestions, etc), and made our stay very memorable.

The resort itself is a bit more "old school," but is beautiful and definitely worth a visit. If you're looking for a resort with modern appointments this is not for you but if you enjoy a more traditional setting where you can disconnect from the outsdie world and are looking for breathtaking views; this is your spot.

Room Tip: Larger groups or families should definately consider the villas which come with their own butler, ma...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Wheeling, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband & I just returned from Half Moon Resort to celebrate his birthday. How fabulous that Half Moon has its own lounge at the airport upon arrival. And from there they whisked us away in our private car to the resort. Check-in was a breeze and the staff is so cordial and friendly. We were upgraded to the Imperial Suite #047, and were blown away. Perfectly situated on the beach, and a short stroll to the lobby, bar and restaurants. The hotel is on a 2 mile beach within a 4 acre resort. Everything you could possibly want is at your disposal. Private Golf Course, Horse Stables, Tennis Courts, 3 pools, and a variety of water sports right on the beach. Not to mention an upscale shopping center and the #1 voted restaurant in Jamaica, Sugar Mill, just a shuttle ride away. The food, the ambiance, and the staff couldn't be better. We took the All-Inclusive package and were rewarded with a relaxing vacation. It was truly an upscale getaway and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously.

Room Tip: Go for the Imperial Suite #047 and you will be in heaven!
manchester uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have just returned from a stay at the Half Moon, this hotel from what I was advised was one of the more premium hotels in Montego Bay.
We waited on arrival 2 and ½ hours for our room to be ready, the supervisor wasn’t very helpful and when we complained asking for compensation he just said he couldn’t authorize it without the manager – who was nowhere to be found!

The rooms and the resort are nice; very clean; we ate at most of the restaurants in the resort; the staff were “just ok”; quite rude sometimes and could barely show a smile!

When checking out there was an additional bar bill of 50USD to pay which I said wasn’t mine, the hotel couldn’t provide a signed receipt so took it off my bill; now I’ve checked my bank statement and they have processed it through as a separate transaction.

In my opinion, for the prices the Half Moon charge, there are much better places you can stay in Montego Bay!

Wallace, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I have vacationed at Half Moon many times and it is by far the best all -inclusive resort we have visited. Golf is our primary reason for trips and Half Moon has that and more: the best dining experience, the best beach, beautiful and clean rooms and a staff that is outstanding. We also had a wedding there for our daughter and it was the most effortless and fun affair that you could have. Half Moon does everything with class.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My family and I just returned from Half Moon, where my cousin was married. We had a great time and were especially happy with the service we received from the Villa staff. Joy, Sonia, and Leon were exceedingly friendly and hospitable. They were able to help us with everything we asked about (different foods, activity suggestions, etc), and made our stay in the Oriole villa very memorable. The resort itself is a bit more traditional, but is beautiful and definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Some villas back up against the highway so you can hear some of the horns occasionally-- take a look...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Long story short, we stayed here because our hotel had a problem. I always heard of the place and knew it was gigantic and was supposed to be awesome.

Check in was painless and the view from the lobby is great. The bar looked like a place you could hang and I did. Our room was delightful. Another family had an ant infestation, but we were good.

I went with three families and honestly I think the kids were bored quickly (so was I.) We did the dolphins one day which is always great, but after that... really nothing for kids. Pool is small, beach really nonexistent. Game center way dated and they charge you to play Madden 11

However, my biggest knock on half moon is that it is... as the Jamaicans would put it... "Fussy" The place has got no soul... no reggae rhythum; no Jamaican vibe. It kind of a throw back to plantation days where servants had hands behind their back when they addressed you. It seems designed to serve people who do not wished to be bothered. Some people may like this, but this not my style. Now if you are an old country club guy from the deep south or perhaps Connecticut, you would love this place. It is a tennis club with a good golf course.

The place was designed by like ten families who returned every year... we will not be one of those families.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at Half Moon.

I am pleased to note that you were delighted with your room and that upon arrival check-in was smooth and efficient. I am sorry to read though that you felt that our swimming pool is small and likewise the beach. There are three main swimming pools at Half Moon, the Hibiscus pool which is free-form with a swim-up bar, the Olympic-size lap pool and the kidney-shaped Oleander pool. Our coastline extends for 2 miles from west to east. You mention the great view from the lobby which overlooks the wide crescent-shaped bay and beach for which the hotel is named. There are smaller islet-style beaches fronting the Hibiscus and Royal Court rooms and to the east of Oleander is the half mile swathe of Sunrise Beach.

I am so sorry that you felt that there was not much to do but I am glad to note that you enjoyed your experience at the Dolphin Lagoon. You mention the tennis courts where lessons are available for children as well as adults and adjacent to the courts is the Anancy Children’s Village, Spinning Studio and Hype Zone. Half Moon is also home to a well-regarded Equestrian Centre, famous for its beach ride and various lessons plus the pony park.

Half Moon has an atmosphere and lifestyle that is very different yet very true to Jamaica – for example we make all of our furniture on-property as well as all of our drapery and soft furnishing. The hotel was founded by 17 entrepreneurs in 1954 and remains in the same private ownership. It has always operated on the premise that guests can do as little or as much as they choose whilst relaxing amidst hospitality that is truly Jamaican.

I completely understand that Half Moon was not the hotel that you had originally booked but I sincerely hope that in the future you will consider returning to us and allow us to show you all that Half Moon has to offer.

Yours sincerely,

Shernette Crichton
Hotel Manager
Toronoto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I recently returned from the stunningly situated, gloriously elegant, and breath-taking Half Moon Resort in Montego Bay. From the moment we stepped off the plane and were greeted by our personal driver (at the private Half Moon kiosk located right in the airport) we were wowed. A combination of colonial grace and island beauty, this resort is vast and lush. It virtually wrapped around the Bay and extended for miles of private and unspoiled beach front.
Our Villa was clean and comfortable and overlooked the ocean and just steps from a beautiful beach. Days are long and relaxing, punctuated only by the superb cuisine and personal care of the attentive, warm and considerate restaurant staff. Discovering my husband was gluten free on the second day, Chef Adrien made it his responsibility to cater inventive and delicious dishes to meet the desires of his demanding palate. There are so many reasons to return to Half Moon on an annual basis--not the least of which is Adrien and his fantastic cooking-we still crave the fried plantains and remember our visit to Half Moon with a full smile.

Room Tip: Overlooking the beach
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Valued Guests,

Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectation at every opportunity, Many thanks for sharing your lovely review on tripadvisor; we are delighted you enjoyed your Half Moon experience. It was certainly a pleasure serving you.

Half Moon truly has something for everyone – with our wide array of activities; Golf, Tennis, Squash, Fitness, Spa, Equestrian, Water sports, the Dolphin Lagoon or just lazing on the beach; there is always something to enjoy. Happy you enjoyed your dining experiences, created by Adrien – we will surely share your compliments with him. We concur with you; Half Moon is for sure a combination of Colonial grace and Island beauty – so beautifully coined.

Again, thank you for selecting Half Moon and for sharing your review – the Half Moon family looks forward to welcoming you back soon.

Shernette Crichton

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!