“Best trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Suite Sale
Ranked #4 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
“Best trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We had a wonderful time! The staff, grounds and rooms were amazing and our kids had a great time at the Anancy village and the staff was wonderful. The Dolphin experience, morning yoga over the water and massage were some highlights. Do not miss the beach bbq!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

1,003 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We visited Half Moon for an evening meal at the Italian restaurant. The service was exemplary from the moment of our arrival. We started with a cocktail at the beach bar before moving to the restaurant. My girlfriend and I chose two courses each which we followed with a shared dessert and coffee. The food was great, the wine we chose was awesome and the staff were very friendly, courteous and professional.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I am so grateful. The trip has been divine. The grounds, rooms and service exceeded our expectations. The staff is beyond wonderful and accommodating. The Anancy Children's village occupied our soon to be five year old for the entire trip! The activities he boasted about daily included kissing the dolphins, riding a pony, baking, touring the property, swimming, crab hunting and enjoying his vacation buddies. The staff ensures your child's safety, joy and comfort. I cannot fail to mention Fern, Yara, and Terese because they are angels. Our ten month old had a lovely babysitter, Verona. The childrens village is top notch and engages the children all day! We will be returning next year.

• Stayed April 2014
Acworth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I was struggling what to rate Half Moon, it was almost a 2 but I thought about it more and I want to fully explain my experience so hopefully they can improve and people reading the review know what to expect. First, I won a corporate trip here so the only money I spent to be here was to extend my stay. Second, I read many reviews on here to know what to expect. Third, this is considered a high end resort which hosted world leaders. So when you read my review understand my factors going into it, where they fell short and where they did well.
It seems like they cater to many corporate events and do that well, hence their push for the villas, where we stayed. The pros for the villas are private pools you have 24 hour access to and great social interaction with others staying there, and if you are all inclusive the stocked bar and snacks saves the drive to the bar. The cons I will go into in more detail so they can fix them. The rooms are smaller (can’t change that) than the cottages and further from the beach (can’t change that) so they try to make up for it with the butler and cook but unless you are going with a group of friends that is looking to be around each other a lot I don’t see the benefit. You are required to have breakfast in the villa but it is just eggs and pancakes vs much better choices at the Sea Grape restaurant and with everything, you need to use the golf cart to get anywhere. The hot water was lukewarm at best, for the quality of this resort, a bigger hot water heater is seriously needed. Air conditioner was VERY noisy, REAL detractor! Higher quality toilet paper and tissues are things they shouldn’t be cutting corners on at the nightly rate they charge. I would NEVER pay their advertised rate for these villas.
There are 400 acres they maintain immaculately, and they are to be lauded for this daunting task. They take GREAT pride in their compound and ALL of their staff are friendly and always say hello when passing. They have a TON of great on premise activities such as an AWESOME dolphin experience, equestrian ride I heard was great, great golf, scuba, and a TON of pools that are well maintained. Their spa was exquisite. But, they did fall short pretty hard in a few places, mainly the beach. The resort has been around some time, one would think they would groom the beach and swimming areas better but there are a lot of large rocks that make it difficult to walk into the water without falling/tripping or getting hurt. The beaches look beautiful but going into the water, it lost the beauty. They should also invest in a better volleyball net, one commiserate with the rest of their resort. Their all-inclusive aquatics didn’t include the Hobie Cat. Being non-powered I was surprised as with the price they charge for their packages, this really should be free like the kayaks, especially because the wind is hit or miss so there was limited time to sail due to non-sufficient wind. One of the days they said the water was “too rough” and every water activity including swimming was cancelled. I thought this was odd. It didn’t look that bad and what better day to sail than a windy one. I’ve seen much worse in Virginia with open beaches so they are overcautious.
Ok, now for the 2nd most important thing, food. First, the swim up pool bar had WAY to limited of a menu. For someone who doesn’t eat meat, only fish, the only item I could order was shrimp cocktail. They REALLY need to enhance that menu! Second, the quality of the food….I read the reviews and expected “AH!” but when I ate it, it was “eh?”. Let me clarify, their dessert chef is a GOD! Their deserts were INCREDIBLE, but their food was average at best. Whether you do their VERY expensive all inclusive or order off their PRICEY menu on the European plan, you will be disappointed if you were expecting Presidential food like JFK or Bush received. This was the most glaring disappointment. Half Moon is much higher priced than other resorts nearby rated higher, and from what I heard from others who stayed at other local places before our event, Half Moon’s food was not any better. At these rates and 4.5 ranking, I expected good food, so I think some of the other TripAdvisors don’t go out to eat much. If you like wine, forget about having any here. They have no selection and at most events just served Merlot and not Cabs, never mind a Malbec. I would assume that if you earn enough to afford a vacation here, that they would know that and at least have a good wine list. There are good inexpensive wines, but one cannot live on rum or Red Stripe alone! I was also thinking that with the dress code, the quality would match – not so.
So, because of the pros I couldn’t bring myself to give it the 2 stars it probably deserved and even if I did, with all of the reviews, it won’t budge their ranking. This is not a 4.5 star vacation resort, more like 3.5. Read more of the lesser reviews to get an honest review and if you are spending your money to go to Montego Bay, from what I heard from my friends, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Hibiscus cottages over villas for sure if you must go!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Acworth, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I were invited here for a corporate event. We stayed at a villa where we had one of the seven rooms and a shared villa pool which was well kept up and gorgeous. It was a very nice room, very clean with a decent size bathroom. The air conditioning in our room was a bit noisy and blew cold air on me all night. I was either hot or freezing. There was no air conditioning in the rest of the villa, which I didn't mind. There was only sporadic hot water in the shower. We had a staff to cook breakfast and take care of us, which was over the top for me. Actually, Rennis, our butler as he referred to himself, was my favorite part of the whole thing! He was so kind and funny. He really looked out for us and he was so accommodating. There were only two golf carts for all of us, so he drove us all around in shifts. The main pool had a swim up bar and the pina coladas (with extra rum) were amazing. I wish I had one right now. The tuna sandwich I ordered was more like a mayonnaise sandwich. Yuk. Everything was over priced. The suntan lotion in one of the little gift shops was four times what it would cost at home, so don't count on buying things when you get here. The food at all of the restaurants was disappointing...nothing special at all. The grounds were kept up beautifully and there is no doubt that this is a huge, clean, scenic place. I did have a great time, but I don't think I would come back on my own. It is too expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: The cottages on the beach were way better and more private than the villas. Unless you want to wake...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Portland, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We fully expected this large (400 acres?) resort to be beautiful--both the setting and the facilities, and we were not disappointed. The pleasant surprise was how friendly and helpful workers there were to us. At one point, we talked about the Disney-ish feel: people are obviously trained to be friendly and attentive--but maybe a little more natural and genuine. We dined at the Sugar Mill with a good size group, and the food and servers were both excellent. Most breakfasts and lunches were at the seaside Seagrape Terrace, which had excellent buffets and a la carte selections. One visit to Robbie's Kitchen for lunch, which we enjoyed, although there is little to attract a visit to the "Shopping Village" otherwise.

We aren't golfers, but understood the course to be wonderful. We spent most of our visit simply relaxing--a respite from a brutal Northern winter--and the hardest choices were between the beach and the pools.

Because it's such an expanse, getting around is helped by shuttles and golf cart rides. We unfortunately never made it to the dolphin lagoon--perhaps another visit. Which reminds me: I think we were invited back by just about everyone we met.

Room Tip: Hibiscus Suites are conveniently located among beach, pools, fitness center, tennis courts, children...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I have stayed at half moon 3 times now and plan to go back again. It is a large resort but also gives the comfort of a boutique resort. It has the perfect blend of the freedom to choose from numerous activities and excursions but also of lazying away the days without feeling that the hotel vibe is directing you one way or the other. Great for couples, families and traveling solo.

Room Tip: Beautiful resort lay out but Hibiscus suite offers a sense of privacy with direct beach access,and s...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!