“Did not stay but did a site inspection” 4 of 5 stars

Half Moon Summer Getaway
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Staten Island, New York
“Did not stay but did a site inspection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just wanted to give you a quick update on Half Moon Resort I visited during my
trip to Jamaica this week. My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar grand in
Montego Bay. I wanted to check out this property bc it
was only a few min away from where I was staying and only 5 minutes from the airport andI've seen online they had beautiful private villas on the beach. I am looking into a bday group for
next summer with all couples for a big friends trip ! It's one of the oldest
resorts in Montego Bay , it has that old world look, very old but beautiful. The property is very expansive, best to get around with golf carts/bicycles ( can be rented on a per day basis $10/day bicycles and $55/day for 4 seat golf cart)

6 a la carte restaurants, their own golf course with restaurant, BBQ beach night
on Fridays and Small entertainment nightly. No disco or dance hall on the
property, more of a low key family resort.... Can add all inclusive option onto
room plan with some limits but basically most restaurants and drinks.

The spa was one of the nicest most unique, expansive areas I have ever seen at a
resort. The old unique buildings and tx areas were like nothing I have ever seen
it was almost like being in a spa retreat once you stepped foot through the
doors. Many different ins and outs it was like a beautiful maze of gardens and
pathways leading to indoor or outdoor tranquil areas, outdoor yoga serenity
studio, waterfalls of plunge pools and relaxation areas. You can most definitely
spend hours upon hours get in lost in the different areas. If you could visit
the spa alone for the day it would be well worth every penny and an experience
you have never had before I'm sure. It was that unique in my opinion!!!!!

Lots of things to keep families and kids occupied. Tennis courts, squash courts,
golf, kids section looked like it was very well kept and updated, dolphin
experience and swimming with horses (never seen that before) right on the
premises. As well as pools, beach, bars and restaurants, bike riding throughout
the property and many open areas that you can set up your own activities.

Room/property description:
The cottages are on the far end of the resort, no two are alike and each of the
10 cottages has 7 individual suites in each.

Next you have the beach area and main lobby/restaurants which is a beautiful
outdoor/indoor breezeway.

The next section starts the Hibiscus suites all 56 ocean front, 4 suites to a
building (2 on top/2on bottom) mostly king beds, connecting through the
balconies. Some have connections through the bedrooms with double beds.
Tremendous bathrooms and sitting area in each suite. They are the mid tier
category similar to a jr suite to compare.

The next section is the highest tier category, the royal section that has the
1br imperial suites and 11 presidential suites. I didn't get to see these rooms
bc they were at full capacity but im sure they are beautiful.

The lowest tier category is the Terrace section. All Superior Garden View rooms,
8 rooms to each building nestled btwn the gardens.

Each of the sections above have their own pool area as well.

Then you have a big stretch of beach with a dolphin cove and swimming with the
horses. And finally the private villa section. There are 30 of them each with
their own private pool, all 5,6,7 bedroom private villas. There are 8 of them
that are beach front which are 5 or 6br's. each comes with their own private
butler, housekeeper and cook for the entire stay. The cook sleeps on premises
with you and is there whenever needed. The butler and housekeeper are on hand
from 8am-5pm daily. Each room in the villa has its own bathroom and air
conditioning, however The common area/living room is not equipped with A/C! You
can add on the all inclusive option when you have reserved a villa, breakfast is
included at your villa prepared by your chef inside, outside on your patio or on
the beach for BF villas. Lunch and dinner must be eaten at the included
restaurants or you can buy food at the grocery store on premises and the chef
will prepare lunch at your villa.

Here's my take on them... I must say, the villas are a really great concept,
just not for my crew. Seems like a few families of friends or family reunion
type of vacation would be more appeasing to the villa bc they are on the quieter
side. I can see my family and kids with my parents and inlaws sharing a villa,
or two or three families with kids Etc. the private pool in each one is a
really nice concept so you can stay at your villa privately if you opt to and
the villas are old and beautiful with newly renovated rooms in all of them,
but the villas that are beachfront are only for viewing purposes. You cannot
swim on the beach where the villas are located, you can however swim on the
nearby beach a few minutes away btwn the terrace and villa sections. You can
walk it or take a golf cart or bike. Golf carts are included with all the
villas throughout the stay and the entire villa has to be reserved for your
entire crew. They will not have strangers in the villa, you have the whole house
to yourselves.

So as cool as the villas and this property were: the cons for my group were
simply: no A/C throughout (wont be good with the husbands), chef is with you
24/7 (a little uncomfortable in my opinion with a bunch of couples looking to
hang out), no nightlife (not that we would look to go out on the town every
night but a little something to change up the scenery would be nice), couldn't
swim in the ocean in front of your villa (lacks the convenience of actually
being beach front). But if you are a family looking to do something different, I would definitely recommend bc the resort was really beautiful!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure to be of service to you; we thank you for sharing such detailed review on your recent site visit of Half Moon, A RockResort. You certainly gave a comprehensive review which is much appreciated.

We look forward to the opportunity of celebrating your special occasion with you and of course create an experience of a lifetime for you and your valued guests.

Should you decide to celebrate your birthday with the Half Moon family, please contact me personally and I will be happy to assist in ensuring you have an unforgettable experience.

Again, thank you for your beautiful review; we look forward to the privilege of serving you.

The Half Moon Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Meopham, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We came to the Half Moon for a meal, away from our main resort hotel.

If you are a couple, the Half Moon is fantastic.

My review however is of the restuarant itself. One of my group had stayed at the hotel on a previous occasion and he was very impressed, hence our booking for dinner. Our relative gave us a little tour of the hotel and grounds and it goes without saying that I shall be returning there.

Although there were 10 of us for dinner, the staff were great and we all had a good selection of choice from the menu. Where we ate was extremely twinkly with lights and overlooking the bay which was quite tranquil. I could imagine eating my breakfast there in the morning and slipping onto to beach for a day of relaxation or to one of the may tennis courts for a game of tennis at the end of the day to work of the wonderful food this hotel has to offer.

Im not sure I can add any more other than to say how delightfully classy, old classic charm surrounded the whole estate and I will be sure to return one day.

Dear Valued Guests,

We are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable experience with us. Thank you for the complimentary review on your recent visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. We are delighted your dining experience exceeded your expectations It was certainly a pleasure serving you. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity.

Again, thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor; We look forward to providing your with a complete Half Moon experience in the not so distant future.

Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We just returned from this wonderful resort in Jamaica, celebrating our
daughters birthday. This resort was "Over the Moon" with everything!
The staff, the beautiful tropical grounds, our oceanfront room, activites, meals, Kids Camp, beaches, etc. were all beyond words to describe. We have been to several other beach resorts for our daughters birthday, and none compare to this resort. The staff gave our daughter 2 separate surprise birthday celebrations/parties which was so very thoughtful.

We had a outstanding time for the week we were there at Half Moon, and took only 1 tour outside the resort. Half Moon has everything/anything you need there on their 400 acres.One doesn't need to leave Half Moon to have fun and R&R. We had a fabulous time! Everything was Superb!!

A special thanks to Paula Lilley (Management), Carol (Concierge), Grace Ann (Front Desk), Terese Chapman (gave exception care with our daughter at Kids Half Moon Camp) Nick (Equestrain Center), Junior (Chef at Seagrape Terrace), Chef Walter (for the "special" Birthday Cake for Sunnee), and the entire friendly and warm staff at Half Moon for making us feel so at home and special.
Raise your expectations, as they will be met!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again......SOON!!

The Schumanns
Jim, Mary & Sunnee

Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It was certainly a pleasure to have you as our guests; we are happy your experience was all you anticipated.

We thank you for the beautiful comments regarding our dedicated team whose aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor; it was a privilege serving you, we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back to your “home away from home”. We lalso ook forward to celebrating another birthday with our Very Important Little Guests next year.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

After a 10 year hiatus from Jamaica, I returned to Montego Bay and at the suggestion of friends that live in Montego Bay, I stayed at the Half Moon. This old world resort has all the charm and class that one would expect from another time in history. The hotel has been operating in Jamaica for many years. Think lush surroundings, an open lobby that takes you out towards the beach. The decor is elegant, southern plantation style. Everyone from the bellmen that greet you, to the staff that checks you in want to ensure that you feel welcomed and that your every need is met. I was there on a 3 night stay for business and needed the services of the concierge to get some gifts out to clients. Latoya, from the concierge staff, exceeded all expectations. She really tried hard to help me with all the challenges I threw at her. She is a gem, and she was one of the main reasons my stay was so pleasant. I stayed in the Hibiscus villas, which I would highly recommend. Those have been redone and are extremely comfortable, the bathrooms are larger than most hotel rooms. These rooms have 2 flat screen TVs and french doors that lead to a porch that is furnished, just a few steps away from the beach. Don't forget to rent a golf cart!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients. Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience. It was a pleasure serving you

We are happy you enjoyed your experience; Half Moon has been careful to combine old world charm with modern touches, in our commitment to provide our guests with the highest standard of service and amenities in the industry.

Thank you for selecting Half Moon; we certainly look forward to welcoming you back home again and again.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent a week in Villa 82 and it was one of the best vacations we've ever had.

The resort: check in was fast and we were in the villa quickly. The villas are incredible. Very large rooms, all up to date and comfortable. There are two beaches, the larger one is by the main reception area, is great for swimming, and has many water sports. The other beach is quieter and beautiful (we enjoyed sitting out there) but not as good for swimming due to seaweed. The resort is huge, but having a golf cart makes it easy to get around.

The villa: we stayed in Villa 82 and loved it. The staff made all the difference. They were very flexible with our schedule around meals, which was great when you travel with 3 kids (ages 10-17). The staff, Janet Coke, Winsome Kerr and Anthony Johnny, were amazing. They were so warm and friendly and took care of everything we needed. They were great with our kids. We had the most relaxing and worry free week and we have them to thank for that.

We also loved the dolphin experience, and would recommend the deep water encounter. The trainer was great and really made it very interactive and fun.

We had the most wonderful vacation and can't wait to return to Half Moon Villa 82!

Room Tip: Villa 82 is great.
Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It was a pleasure serving you; we are happy your experience exceeded your expectations and you thoroughly enjoyed the Half Moon facility and amenities including your villa experience. Thank you for recognizing the staff of Janet, Winsome and Anthony who provided exceptional service for you. We have shared your beautiful comments with them.

Again, thank you for selecting Half Mon and for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I went to Half Moon with a friend for 8 nights. We flew Delta and the flight was horrible. We stayed in Villa 82. The staff was a cook, butler and maid. Janet, Anthony and Winsome were awesome. The camp sucked! Everything else was good. The curried chicken with rice and beans were my favorite food there. I had tons of fun there! I was disappointed when I couldn't rent movies or gaming consoles. The whole staff were amazing and the pool was so fun. The beach was good as well. It topped The Tryall Club by far! Stay here instead of anywhere else. I ensure that it will be awesome sauce!

Room Tip: Get a room near the beach!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for choosing Half Moon, A RockAResort for your recent vacation. It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests, we’re happy you had a `Royal’ experience. We do appreciate your comments regarding the staff and the Royal Villas accommodation; thank you for recognizing the cook for her “awesome sauce” – we will certainly share your comments with the team particularly the cook, we generally receive raving reviews on the Royal Villas experience.

Again, thank you for selecting Half Moon and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back `home’ soon.

Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family of five spent five nights in Villa 82 and literally could not have had a better vacation. The staff at our villa (Anthony, Janet, and Andreen) completely spoiled us: they were extremely sweet; they kept the villa in spotless condition; they anticipated our needs; they met our every request with a smile; they fed us one amazing meal after another; they created a wonderful party for my son's 12th birthday; and, most importantly, they made us feel at home. The hotel grounds were gorgeous and offered a great variety of activities for us, all of which we thoroughly enjoyed (we swam, snorkled, rode the paddle boats, played giant chess, played mini golf, rode the horses as they swam in the ocean, and swam with the dolphins). The staff throughout the property was very friendly and very helpful, and the staff involved with the activities made those activities extra fun (especially Sheldon and Adrian at the Equestrian Center).
I highly recommend Half Moon. We could not have enjoyed ourselves more, nor could we have had a more relaxed vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure hosting you as our treasured guests; we thank you for so beautifully detailing your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort. Your comments are highly appreciated.

We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and the family thoroughly enjoyed their Royal Villa accommodation, dining, resort activities and of course the staff, particularly the villa team of Anthony, Janet, Andreen ,whose aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests. We will be sure to share your comments with them.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor; we certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming back to your “home away from home” soon.

The Half Moon Team

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!