“Loved our stay” 5 of 5 stars

Half Moon Summer Getaway
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Loved our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

A large group of us just returned from 6 days at the resort. I have nothing but rave reviews. We were lucky enough to have stayed in a villa that was updated and I have not one complaint. Our staff o'neill, ruby and valarie were the best!! Words don't describe how wonderful this trio was. Request them. You won't be sorry!!!

• Stayed July 2013
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know we're doing something right. Thank you for the lovely note about your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort; we are happy you had a `Royal’ experience. The Royal Villas accommodation certainly creates `a home away from home’ atmosphere, much to the pleasure of our valued guests like yourselves.

We thank you for the beautiful comments about our dedicated team whose aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for our most discerning clients. Your compliments will certainly be shared with Ferdinand-butler, Beverly-cook and Beverly.housekeeper.

Again, thank you for selecting Half Moon and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back `home’ soon.

The Half Moon Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We just go back from Half Moon Resort, Montego Bay, Jamaica. We spent a week in Villa 54. There are two parts to this review. First is the planning and resort part, the second is the scuba diving part.
We dealt with Colleen from the hotel. She was absolutely amazing. We spoke to her numerous times planning the trip. Our villa had a cook, butler and maid so we had to buy our own food. We did not feel the cost of the all inclusive was worth it. Best decision we made. Her guidance helped with all planning, picking staff and arranging the trip. She was the best.
Once there, the villa was on the water. It was beautiful!! Newly decorated. We were greeted by the staff helping for the week. One of the things we wanted most was a butler that would shop off premise as opposed to just the commissary alone and KIRK did just that. There is no doubt that our whole trip was as amazing as it was because of him. We wanted authentic foods, goat, jerk chicken, pork ect, and he delivered. He went anywhere needed to get the best foods, drinks and to make us as comfortable as possible. If you are going to the villa, request KIRK. You wont regret it.
Our cook Susan was as authentic as you could get. She made curried, jerk, roasted. didn't matter. Let her take over with ingredients and you won't be sorry. Her Curried Mutton was amazing as well as the jerk pork and chicken. I still dream of the Festival!!

Sadly comes the negative side of the review. If you scuba dive, you may want to rethink it there. Although its not a Half Moon activity, it is on the property. The dive master Justin was really good and nice, but the equipment was literally unsafe. I have been diving for 20 yrs and never have seen such poor equipment. they only had 2 weight belts. they used bean bags for wts and would stick them in the pockets of the divers!! I hesitate to need to dump wts in an emergency. It would take minutes to find all the wts. MY dive buddy, Al is very experienced as well. He and his son had to disconnect the insulator under water because it leaked so badly. Again, not safe at all.
Lastly, our last dive, my friends son didn't go down, just sat on the boat. Justin was clear that he will not be charged. After agreeing to that and SIGNING THE BILL, the water sports person changed the bill AFTER we went to our room and upcharged us for the dive. It took 30 minutes to resolve after going to the main dive shop, lobby and meeting with the manager. We call that Fraud in the US.
So we heard about billing issues here and the reviews were correct. They also tried to charge us an extra day for a golf cart I returned the day prior. They sent me back to the villa and said someone would pick it up. Never did and then tried to tell me I had to pay for it.

So, the resort gets 5 stars, the diving gets 1 star. Would I go back? I'm not sure. It won't be to dive!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Naugatuck, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had an amazing time here but that was certainly not due to the comfort of the rooms. Bed was very hard, two twins put together and you could find the split in the beds every night. They were very hard as well. The shower in villas are just bad one had no hot water and the other one the hose was broke and water spraying everywhere. The floors are beautiful but not practical, our fist night here it was raining and the flat tile was so slippery I feel on the stairs. I am home now and had to go to the Urgent care center because of the fall. I am not sure why the floor is not textured being this was the outside stairs. The villas are in need of some serious updating. I also feel the Coolers they use are odd at a five star resort there should be a built in cooler/ refrigeration system. I agree with another review prices high for dated quality.

On the flip to that the staff was truly out of this world- if we ever go back it would be because of the staff. I don't even know if I can truly express just how wonderful Dexton, Nicolica and Evette are. JUST AMAZING Half Moon Is very lucky to have such a friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely concerned to note your dissatisfaction with aspects your villa experience and sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations in the areas mentioned and regret any discomfort encountered. Be assured, we take your comments very seriously and will use them as a tool to effect the necessary improvement to our facilities. We do regret the slip and fall and trust that you are now fully recovered. Your comments will help us serve you and all our valued guests better.

We thank you for recognizing the villa team of Dexton, Nicolica and Evette; the staff truly are the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of our guests and make each visit special. We have shared your comments with them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback; we look forward to the privilege of serving you again in the not so distant future.

Ocean City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just returned from Half Moon resort with 15 people. We stayed in a 7 bedroom villa with an unbelievable staff. Our butler, Ferdinand was especially friendly and attentive to all our needs. Our cook, Beverly, (she once cooked for the Queen of England) made the most wonderful dishes throughout the week. Her desserts and breakfast muffins were to die for. Beverly, our housemaid, kept the rooms and bathrooms immaculate. When we go back we will surely request these three outstanding staff members. Thanks to them for a truly memorable stay in Jamaica.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor. We are delighted your experience was all you anticipated and you thoroughly enjoyed your Royal Villa accommodation and the hospitality from the villa team, Ferdinand and the two Beverlys’ the cook and housekeeper. We will be sure to share your comments with them.

Thank you for choosing Half Moonand for sharing feedback; we certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to your home-away-from-home soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

As soon as I visited the Half Moon , back in 2012 on a ‘Wedding Location’ recce of Jamaica, we instantly fell in love with the place… We just HAD to get married there!!! …. ‘They had us at Hello’!!!

So on the 21st April 2013, 60 or so Wedding guests from the UK, USA, Canada, Dubai, South Africa, and Jamaica descended upon The Half Moon, for 10 days of Pre and post wedding FUN FUN FUN!!!

We were treated like royalty as soon as we stepped into the Half Moon Lounge at the Airport!!.. There were quite a few of us arriving at the same time.. but that didn’t faze them at all! Everything went smoothly!

We are all given a Rum punch on arrival… and was serenated by the house band as we sipped our cocktails, on the terrace in the sunset!!

All the guests were staying within the Royal Villas, and they very kindly arranged it so all the villas were close to each other.

Everything about the Villas was AMZAING! Really…. The photos on the website really doesn’t do it justice! The place is just FAB FAB FAB!!
And the villa staff (You get a Butler, Cook and Housemaid with each villa!) were so helpful and lovely! Attending to our every need!!.
Just wanted to give a ‘shout out’ to Gary, Michelle, Stephen & Miss Ruby! (who I liked to call Miss Roobs!)… She makes one serious Ackee and Saltfish!!! …and enough rum punch to make us all in the villas very very happy! ;0)

I’m telling you, if you want to get married in Jamaica.. HALF MOON IS THE PLACE!! We got married at the Royal Pavilion… and when all the decorations and the lights were in place.. it looked like a picture postcard!! I was so happy with how it all turned out..I kept pinching myself because I just couldn’t believe how beautiful everything was!. And that it was MY wedding!.. it was breathtaking!! I’m still getting compliments from the guests to this day!

The 18 months of planning, conference calls and emails made it ALL worth it.
And it all wouldn’t have happened without my amazing, unflappable Wedding coordinator TASHANE!!

I really don’t know how she put up with me!!!! ;0)
I’m a typical Virgo, and I work in television, so logistics is my thing! I will be the first to admit that I am very particular about everything, let alone my wedding day. But Tashane took all my requests on board, and moved the earth to make it work…and BOY did she make it work!!!
I owe so much of my happiness on my wedding day to Tashane! All the months of planning all paid off and due to this I had the best day of my life.. and this is all own to her!!

Overall, the time I spent at the Half moon was, without a doubt.. the BEST holiday I have EVER had.
I was surrounded by my best friends, my family, my amazing new husband, beautiful weather, in an AMAZING location.. Life couldn’t have been any sweeter!!

THANK YOU HALF MOON!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Welcome Back! Thank you for sharing your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor; it was a pleasure serving you

We are happy our team created an experience of a lifetime for you; and you not only enjoyed your “Royal” experience but certainly your Amazing wedding. We thank you for acknowledging the villa team of Gary, Michelle, Stephen & Miss Ruby as well as the wedding team particularly your unflappable Wedding Planner Tashane. Our ultimate goal is always to exceed our valued guest expectations at every opportunity. We have shared you complimentary comments with the team

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon for your very special occasion and for review, Your Half Moon family looks forward to the pleasure of serving you on your first Anniversary and many more.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This spot works for me as you are right on the beach and it is safe, sweet and simple family fun. THe rooms are terribly dated (Royal suite) with battered kitchen and furniture, musty ventilation but entirely redeeming service though typically Jamaican... I believe the prices are high for the condition of the property but the location and the grounds are truly the point of differentiation for us and reason I recommend for families-

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor. Your comments are valuable to us and are highly appreciated, we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience encountered with your accommodation experience.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor; it was a privilege serving you and we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Half Moon was our last stop on our honeymoon tour of Jamaica. The property was beautiful! Nice spacious room, good amenities, picturesque grounds, good service and wonderful cocktails. We were given a beautiful room (beach front) and it was wonderful just waking up in the morning and walking out to the beach.

The only downside to the hotel for us were the prices of the food offered versus its quality. For the over the top prices example $70.00 for a breakfast for 2 persons (which includes 10% government tax and 15% service charge. 25% is automatically included on all bill.) the taste was average at best. It simply wasn’t worth dining on the property. Even with the wide selection of food available at the buffet, we didn’t find anything that was worth going back for a second time. We also had room service twice and both times, it was just okay.

With this review, it is only fair to say that you can’t people everybody all the time and perhaps the next guests will enjoyed the food and rave about it. Unfortunately, for us, it was average and nothing special.

Room Tip: The beachfront room was amazing!