“8 wonderfull days” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
middle haddam
“8 wonderfull days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I have vacationed at The Jamaica Inn, La Samanna, Curtain Bluff, Cap Juluca, Sandy Lane, and other top notch hotels in the caribbean, and Half Moon certainly belongs in this group. We stayed in the west cottages Suite 155 in early April and the room and location was perfect. The property is huge and we enjoyed renting a golf cart ($55.00 a day) to ride around and enjoy the many private beaches, watching the dolphins swim, having lunch and drinks at several restaurants on the beach, and at the golf course and shopping center. As for the food, we loved the Italian restaurant, but were frankly disappointed with The Sugar Mill by the golf course. The location and restaurant is awesome, but the food was fair at best. We were on the all inclusive plan, and we had a great breakfast(served on our patio overlooking that spectacular beach), and lunch daily.
There were so many things you can do, that we ran out of days, so we look forward to our return.
One word of caution, there are many children staying here, which we did not mind at all, but if your looking for an adult only vacation, Half Moon may not be the place for you. I suggest you go to the Jamaica Inn.

Thank you to all the amazing employees at Half Moon.

Carl and Lucy

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share review on our recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor.

We are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and have passed on your thanks to the team.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon and for sharing your lovely review. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back ‘home’soon.

1,119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband, two daughters and I just returned a few weeks ago from our 3rd trip to Half Moon. Year after year, we keep going back to the place that is our home away from home because there is nothing more beautiful nor peaceful than Half Moon. We have always stayed at the gorgeous Hibiscus suites, but this time we stayed at a luxurious Royal suite at the Royal Court as we needed a little more room with the addition of our infant daughter. With an almost-private pool (the pool is reserved just for the use of Royal Court families) in front of our suite and a huge patio in the side and back overlooking the sea, we could not have asked for a better suite. (Actually, one thing that I looked forward to during the late afternoons was to sit on our patio and enjoy the breathtaking view of the Caribbean Sea.)

What makes Half Moon truly special, however, is the impeccable service and wonderful staff. Sonia, our room attendant, accommodated our baby's nap schedule and cleaned our room when it was convenient for us. She even set up a small changing station for the baby and always made sure that the baby was comfortable and had her needs met. Sonia greeted us with a beautiful smile each day which made our stay even more enjoyable. We miss her! We also miss having our daily breakfast at the Seagrape Terrace for the delicious food and amazing view of the beach and sea. Chesoni, the hostess, always greeted us by name and always with a huge smile. And Evrol, our server occasionally, was always friendly with the baby. Last but not least, our older daughter loved Vanessa, server from the Italian restaurant, Il Giardino, who made her feel special and chatted with her each time we had dinner there. We miss the extraordinary staff!

Half Moon is the ideal place for a family vacation. With excellent restaurants, a fun Jamaican beach BBQ two nights per week, a luxurious spa, a beautiful beach, wonderful pools, an equestrian center, a children's village, plus golf, tennis and bike riding -- there is something for everyone. And all this on a gorgeous property -- Half Moon is paradise! We can't wait to go back next year!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Our aim is to provide the best possible service to our guests and their satisfaction is our reward; we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to shareyour recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor.

As a valuable returning guest, we are delighted that you continue to enjoy your stay with us; we look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Thank you for recognizing the team who exceeded your expectations;our staff truly are the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of the clients and make each visit special. we will certainly share your comments with the staff members mentioned.

Your Half Moon family looks forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back home soon.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My family went to Half Moon in 2012 for 12 nights. We were so pleased we booked for the following year 2 days after returning for another 12 nights staying in an ocean front suite. The lay out of Half Moon is amazing. Cottages right on the beach. Huge area to explore, quiet beaches if you want to escape etc. 2013 was so disappointing in so many ways but the worst being the lack of concern the management showed, not once did they utter the words "we are sorry" but instead they made once excuse after another.

Both trips the owner "Nina" (American from NYC) was at the resort. She walks around with everyone catering to her every whim. Even the beach bbq entertainment made the little kids stop doing the bamboo dancing so two of the 10 college students she brings with her could bamboo dance instead. Do parents really want to watch some college students who have been drinking dance or would they prefer to watch cute little kids? Her tables are always surronded by tons of staff while no one will refill your water glass. I spoke with her one day about our poor service and her words "tip more and you will get better service". I was already in an ocean front suite at $800/ night and added the $600/ night food package. Thank you Nina but telling your guests to tip more when I am spending $1400/ night is not appropriate.

Restaurants- tons of staff walking around but no one really doing anything. Numerous occasions only parts of our orders would show up, no one to refill your water glass, lunch would take 1 1/2 hours for simple meals. Would forget to bring out simple things like shrimp cocktail. Tons of excuses, no apologies. We were already paying for the meal plan so were trapped. One night 2 out of 4 entrees were brought to table. Asked where the other entrees were, told would be a wait due to "unanticipated occurence in kitchen". The other two people had finished dessert and we still did not have out entrees. No apologies, just excuse.

We finally went off the meal plan, went to the grocery store up the street from the resort (not the overprices store on property) and got cereal, danishes etc. For lunch I would walk up the street or get taxi sitting out side Holiday Inn and go to Scotchie's for the most amazing jerk in Jamaica for $30 for a family of four. Great food, great service at Scotchie's.

Tennis- Decided to try a tennis clinic. Never picked up a raquet before in my life. They stuck me in a clinic with 6 advanced players and started hitting balls at me. When I told the Pro I was uncomfortable and didn't know what I was doing he told me I would catch on. I left embarassed and in tears. Felt like I was being Punked. Once again no apologies.

Golf Carts- appearently you have to tip to even get the nicer golf carts. I did not know this and the woman was very rude when I asked for the nicer carts that were lined up instead of the old one I was given at $55/ day for my 12 day trip. I guess Nina was right... need to tip for everything.

I would like to point out that there are amazing staff memebers and not everything was poor. We had some adorable people try their hardest to make things better but when the kitchen doesn't have the food ready they can't bring it out. Just got tired of the excuses.

The resort used to be booked for Christmas/ Thanksgiving and Spring Break, they are now offering 1/2 price specials and were far from full and we were there spring break.
They constantly ran out of towels at the pool and on beach and they never got replenished. They never had floats so people were hoarding them and taking them to their cottages so they would have them the next day. It appears the resort is a little run down, can't get booked, has turned over their managment to RockResorts but just not getting any better.

When I went and spoke with resort manager and requested to be taken off the meal plan she did remove us, listened and nodded her head and we left her office. Not once was there an apology. Instead every excuse and kept saying "I can't believe this happened". She never checked back with us or followed up.

I spoke with a very sweet woman from CT with her 3 kids who had the trip from hell. She said the same thing, head nodds paired with excuses. No apologies and never got better.
Adorable couple staying in room next to us had to keep sending back their food.
Mother traveling with her daughters finally stormed out of Sugar Mill after appetizers and main meal being poor quality and cold.
Majority of people at resort were discussing the problems they were having from having to wait for your room for 5 hours when they arrived to restaurant and overall poor service. Everyone said the same thing, no apologies, just excuses.

The day we checked out I called the resort manager to express my surprise that no one would follow up with us. Their exact reply "we like guests to return that don't complain". Thank you Mr Zerunian, we spent over $13,000 for one vacation two years in a row. I am sure there are resorts that would love my $13,000.

I waited a month to write this review hoping Half Moon would write and apologize for our issues but have never heard a word. I suppose those will be the last words ever said to us by their staff "we like guests to return that don't complain."

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor. We strive to provide the finest service in the Caribbean and regret that your expectations were not exceeded on this visit; again, we sincerely apologise. We recognize that there were some degree of misunderstanding during our communications, for this we further apologise.

We are disappointed that we were not able to turn your experience around prior to departure and you left feeling dissatisfied.

Again, thank you for your review.

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Half Moon was an amazing place with amazing people, food, location, rooms etc. It is no wonder that "famous people" vacation there! Lots of photos of the Kennedy's and the royal Family etc,
The rooms are so quaint and everyone has their own private piece of beach. the Bartenders and wait staff are amazing. the Half Moon has its own dolphins in the ocean (amazing)
I just came back from Jamaica from a sub standard place and only was at Half Moon for a day visiting our "old friends" . I realized as i was writing the review for Iberostar that was lousy that I had not written a glowing report of my holiday from last year!

Room Tip: All of the Hibiscus suites are fabulous! 5, 6 bedroom villas are super duper fab!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I hope my review does The Half Moon justice. We've never gone to a resort where we NEEDED to go back...until now. Foods great, the staff was so wonderful that we hugged some of them when we left. Most rooms have a private beach or a private pool or both. There's plenty to do if that's your thing, but if you want to do nothing, this is the place to do it. Room Service means food and drinks delivered to the beach. The spa is gorgeous and the massage I had was probably one of the best I've ever had. The rooms are spacious, but some are a bit in need of updating which from what I heard is already under way. The water is gorgeous, there's always a breeze and the weather was spectacular. Oh and if you are in to Spinning, they are the only resort that has a studio. Karata the instructor was AMAZING! GO! You won't be sorry...save ur money it's worth the price.

Room Tip: Most rooms are really good, but if you can afford beach front...DO IT! Room 231 and 232 are amazing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This resort is absolutely amazing! The villas are huge and come with a staff of three and everyone there is really nice. Our villa had the best chef, Ruth, and the friendliest staff. We attended a good friends wedding at the hotel and got to enjoy some of the amenities the hotel had to offer, like the spa. The massages and bath soaks were excellent and must trys during your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I have been vacationing at Half Moon Resorts for the last 10 years. We have 2 boys and the activities are just great for them - swimming, cycling, swimming with the dolphins and exploring the property!! For us as a couple, we look forward to romantic weekends alone - the pool to the front of the villa and the sea to the back, dining under the stars in the privacy of our own space.......what more could one ask for?? And the property is gorgeous and the service is impeccable!!!!

Room Tip: All the room s are great!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!