“"We like guests to return that don't complain" Resort Manager We won't be returning.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Half Moon, A RockResort

Summer Suite Sale
Ranked #4 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My family went to Half Moon in 2012 for 12 nights. We were so pleased we booked for the following year 2 days after returning for another 12 nights staying in an ocean front suite. The lay out of Half Moon is amazing. Cottages right on the beach. Huge area to explore, quiet beaches if you want to escape etc. 2013 was so disappointing in so many ways but the worst being the lack of concern the management showed, not once did they utter the words "we are sorry" but instead they made once excuse after another.

Both trips the owner "Nina" (American from NYC) was at the resort. She walks around with everyone catering to her every whim. Even the beach bbq entertainment made the little kids stop doing the bamboo dancing so two of the 10 college students she brings with her could bamboo dance instead. Do parents really want to watch some college students who have been drinking dance or would they prefer to watch cute little kids? Her tables are always surronded by tons of staff while no one will refill your water glass. I spoke with her one day about our poor service and her words "tip more and you will get better service". I was already in an ocean front suite at $800/ night and added the $600/ night food package. Thank you Nina but telling your guests to tip more when I am spending $1400/ night is not appropriate.

Restaurants- tons of staff walking around but no one really doing anything. Numerous occasions only parts of our orders would show up, no one to refill your water glass, lunch would take 1 1/2 hours for simple meals. Would forget to bring out simple things like shrimp cocktail. Tons of excuses, no apologies. We were already paying for the meal plan so were trapped. One night 2 out of 4 entrees were brought to table. Asked where the other entrees were, told would be a wait due to "unanticipated occurence in kitchen". The other two people had finished dessert and we still did not have out entrees. No apologies, just excuse.

We finally went off the meal plan, went to the grocery store up the street from the resort (not the overprices store on property) and got cereal, danishes etc. For lunch I would walk up the street or get taxi sitting out side Holiday Inn and go to Scotchie's for the most amazing jerk in Jamaica for $30 for a family of four. Great food, great service at Scotchie's.

Tennis- Decided to try a tennis clinic. Never picked up a raquet before in my life. They stuck me in a clinic with 6 advanced players and started hitting balls at me. When I told the Pro I was uncomfortable and didn't know what I was doing he told me I would catch on. I left embarassed and in tears. Felt like I was being Punked. Once again no apologies.

Golf Carts- appearently you have to tip to even get the nicer golf carts. I did not know this and the woman was very rude when I asked for the nicer carts that were lined up instead of the old one I was given at $55/ day for my 12 day trip. I guess Nina was right... need to tip for everything.

I would like to point out that there are amazing staff memebers and not everything was poor. We had some adorable people try their hardest to make things better but when the kitchen doesn't have the food ready they can't bring it out. Just got tired of the excuses.

The resort used to be booked for Christmas/ Thanksgiving and Spring Break, they are now offering 1/2 price specials and were far from full and we were there spring break.
They constantly ran out of towels at the pool and on beach and they never got replenished. They never had floats so people were hoarding them and taking them to their cottages so they would have them the next day. It appears the resort is a little run down, can't get booked, has turned over their managment to RockResorts but just not getting any better.

When I went and spoke with resort manager and requested to be taken off the meal plan she did remove us, listened and nodded her head and we left her office. Not once was there an apology. Instead every excuse and kept saying "I can't believe this happened". She never checked back with us or followed up.

I spoke with a very sweet woman from CT with her 3 kids who had the trip from hell. She said the same thing, head nodds paired with excuses. No apologies and never got better.
Adorable couple staying in room next to us had to keep sending back their food.
Mother traveling with her daughters finally stormed out of Sugar Mill after appetizers and main meal being poor quality and cold.
Majority of people at resort were discussing the problems they were having from having to wait for your room for 5 hours when they arrived to restaurant and overall poor service. Everyone said the same thing, no apologies, just excuses.

The day we checked out I called the resort manager to express my surprise that no one would follow up with us. Their exact reply "we like guests to return that don't complain". Thank you Mr Zerunian, we spent over $13,000 for one vacation two years in a row. I am sure there are resorts that would love my $13,000.

I waited a month to write this review hoping Half Moon would write and apologize for our issues but have never heard a word. I suppose those will be the last words ever said to us by their staff "we like guests to return that don't complain."

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor. We strive to provide the finest service in the Caribbean and regret that your expectations were not exceeded on this visit; again, we sincerely apologise. We recognize that there were some degree of misunderstanding during our communications, for this we further apologise.

We are disappointed that we were not able to turn your experience around prior to departure and you left feeling dissatisfied.

Again, thank you for your review.

1,155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Half Moon was an amazing place with amazing people, food, location, rooms etc. It is no wonder that "famous people" vacation there! Lots of photos of the Kennedy's and the royal Family etc,
The rooms are so quaint and everyone has their own private piece of beach. the Bartenders and wait staff are amazing. the Half Moon has its own dolphins in the ocean (amazing)
I just came back from Jamaica from a sub standard place and only was at Half Moon for a day visiting our "old friends" . I realized as i was writing the review for Iberostar that was lousy that I had not written a glowing report of my holiday from last year!

Room Tip: All of the Hibiscus suites are fabulous! 5, 6 bedroom villas are super duper fab!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I hope my review does The Half Moon justice. We've never gone to a resort where we NEEDED to go back...until now. Foods great, the staff was so wonderful that we hugged some of them when we left. Most rooms have a private beach or a private pool or both. There's plenty to do if that's your thing, but if you want to do nothing, this is the place to do it. Room Service means food and drinks delivered to the beach. The spa is gorgeous and the massage I had was probably one of the best I've ever had. The rooms are spacious, but some are a bit in need of updating which from what I heard is already under way. The water is gorgeous, there's always a breeze and the weather was spectacular. Oh and if you are in to Spinning, they are the only resort that has a studio. Karata the instructor was AMAZING! GO! You won't be sorry...save ur money it's worth the price.

Room Tip: Most rooms are really good, but if you can afford beach front...DO IT! Room 231 and 232 are amazing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This resort is absolutely amazing! The villas are huge and come with a staff of three and everyone there is really nice. Our villa had the best chef, Ruth, and the friendliest staff. We attended a good friends wedding at the hotel and got to enjoy some of the amenities the hotel had to offer, like the spa. The massages and bath soaks were excellent and must trys during your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I have been vacationing at Half Moon Resorts for the last 10 years. We have 2 boys and the activities are just great for them - swimming, cycling, swimming with the dolphins and exploring the property!! For us as a couple, we look forward to romantic weekends alone - the pool to the front of the villa and the sea to the back, dining under the stars in the privacy of our own space.......what more could one ask for?? And the property is gorgeous and the service is impeccable!!!!

Room Tip: All the room s are great!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I went with a group of approx 40-50 people...I start off by saying this because we got a great group rate....most likely would not have gone since the all-inclusive package is fairly pricey if done alone... However, it is the quite possibly the best resort we have ever been to... Food - Outstanding, Staff - Outstanding, Amenities - Outstanding, multiple pools, snorkeling was very good and convenient right off the beach. The Spa is EXCELLENT.... great staff and great amenities...Steam Room, Sauna, Multiple pools. We stayed in the suite near the main building and it was gorgeous.

Room Tip: Please research the rooms before you book since there are many options and some rooms can be a good...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share the lovely comments regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience. It was a pleasure having you as our treasured guests; and receiving such positive feedback on our resort facility and service.

We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and you thoroughly enjoyed the resort and its offerings. Our ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued clients.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon and taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you “home” in the not too distant future.

Onida, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We are a family of 4 "kids" and two adults and absolutely LOVED our vacation stay at Half Moon. We kept saying throughout our entire stay how awesome it was and that we would definitely be coming back. We stayed at Villa 26 and couldn't have been more pleased with our staff of cook, butler, maid. It was so awesome to wake up in the morning and have breakfast prepared for us right at our villa. Having a villa felt more like "home" and really helped a person relax giving everyone a space of their own. We all had a bedroom and bathroom, plus a living room and kitchen. Our Villa had its own pool, which ended up being perfect for our family with kids ages 5, 11, 14, and 19. The two younger boys ended up not liking swimming in the salt water at the beach, but were in and out of our private pool continuously throughout our stay. Several of the restaurants are a bit fancy, requiring long pants (no jeans) for the guys. The food at the restaurants was very good, had a nice variety of stuff. We have stayed at all-inclusives in the past and after a couple of days their food all seemed the same and we tired of it quickly. Not so at Half Moon. We were also able to keep our entire family occupied with all the activities at Half Moon and never felt the need to venture off of the property. There is a very relaxed feel to the entire resort. It was the first vacation that we have taken that really felt like a "vacation". I do recommend booking activities as soon as you know what you want to do. We waited, and ended up not being able to get on the list for several of them. You don't realize how many people are there enjoying the resort since it is so large and spread out. One disappointment was the Shopping Village on the property. Most stores have moved off of Half Moon Resort, therefore most of our shopping was done at the few stores located close to the lobby. LOVED LOVED LOVED Half Moon. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guests:

Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity, thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted you enjoyed a “Villa” experience. The Villa accommodation is usually a ‘hit’ with our many valued clients. It truly offers a “home away from home” atmosphere. Thank you for complimenting the team – our staff are really the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of our treasured guests and make each visit special.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon, we certainly look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back ‘home’ in the not so distant future.

The Half Moon Team

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!