“At Best Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Allen
“At Best Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Half Moon Resort because we were attending a wedding and this was one of the wedding itinerary spots and one of the two accomodations chosen for guests to stay at. We choose the cheaper of the two locations thinking that both were highly rated and could not go wrong. It was a mistake. We stayed at the Olelander. When we checked in we had a room with one vanity and the toilet did not work. I called and asked to be moved. The front desk told me that they would call me back and never did. I ran into the hotel manager the next day and told her about my experience. A friend who also checked in that day had us look at her unit and it had two vanities and a kitchen - for a single person. The next day we got moved. To yet another disaster - the room had a kitchenette and two vanities but with old, mismatched furniture and doors missing from the in the kitchen cabinets. One day we returned to our room to find the maintenance man there fixing the toilet because the maid had called him. She had problems with our toilet when she was cleaning our room. Also, be wary of the dive shop, I had fallen of the bike and hurt my knee so I asked them about disembarking the boat before we could go snorkelling and they assured me that we could use the ladder but we were told to jump off the boat! Maybe the other units are better but I know what we stayed at was no better that La Quinta. We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Waldorf, Mansion as well as Howard Johnson and I think this stay did not rank as being five star. The property grounds are well maintained and the staff with the exception of the front desk and some wait staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel manager did go out of her way to help. She sent me a nice note after I sent in my survey. Of course there was an offer to come back and stay on them for two nights. Not sure why they could not fix the problems when we were there or whey they could not adjust our bill because unless we go back the offer isnt worth anything but a gesture on their part.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Olelander suites.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor.

Half Moon is truly a first-class resort; our vast number of return guests is evidence that we generally succeed in satisfying our most discerning clients. We sincerely apologise that we did not exceed your expectations in some areas of our service delivery and further regret the incident with the watersports activity. Be assured, we take your review very seriously and will use it as a tool to effect the necessary improvement to our facilities and services we provide our valued clients.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon; we look forward to another opportunity to create
an experience of a lifetime on you next visit with us. Please feel free to contact me personally when planning your next visit to Half Moon.

Best regards,

The Half Moon Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Set along a 2 miles of gorgeous beach this property is just spectacular! Also there is so much beauty in the all the plush natural and native plantings throughout the resort. There is stuff for everyone in the family to do here - with water sports, great beach, a few pools to choose from, tennis, golf, dolphins, horse back riding, and the most fantastic kids camp program we have found. The kids loved going off to camp everyday!! My kids are 10 and 8. We all loved the staff including head couselor Terese!! This helped make our trip extra special with lots of alone time for my husband and I. The staff all around the property is wonderful and very friendly.
We stayed in the Hibiscus suites - best location on the resort and perfect set up for my family - also on the beach! the spa also is great - Cynthia is fantastic!! The food is fair and the service in the restaurants is a little slow, but I think it is the island way. But all in all - this was one of our best trips and we hope to return there again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share the lovely comments regarding your stay at Half Moon, A RockResort. It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guest.

We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and you thoroughly enjoyed the Half Moon facility, amenities, the various activities and of course the hospitality and service from our dedicated team. The Anancy Children’s Centre is certainly a ‘gem’ for our very important little guests; happy you were able to enjoy some ‘alone time’.

Again, thank you for visiting Half Moon and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you “home” very soon.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We returned from our family trip with our 8, 6, & 22 mo. old children. We had a fabulous time! We stayed in the Hibiscus Suites. The beach & ocean were steps away from our porch. What a great location to start each day of our vacation. The resort brought me back to my 1980's trips to the Carribean. Even though The Half Moon is larger than my past experiences, I felt as though I was staying in a small resort. It also had that "old charm" -exactly what we had in mind. The employees were friendly & helpful. If you want to stay at a low-key, picturesque, relaxing resort this is the place to go. Enjoy hanging with your loved ones, catching hermit crabs, swimming, boating, shell collecting, bike riding, horse riding...
Thank you Half Moon for the great memories!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests during your recent visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. We are happy you enjoyed the entire facility and it offerings.

We are pleased that our team created an experience of a lifetime for you; and you thoroughly enjoyed Half Moon and its ‘old charm’. Half Moon has been careful to combine old world charm with modern touches, in our commitment to provide our guests with the highest standard of service and amenities in the industry.

Again, thank you for selecting Half Moon, and sharing your experience on tripadvisor.
We look for to another opportunity to welcome you in the not-too-distant-future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Have been to the Terrace restaurant for the last twenty years and for the last two years have been disappointed and would not return in a hurry bad food and staff completely uninterested. However The Sugar Mill restaurant very good and would go again

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely regret that we did not exceed your expectations this time around, especially with aspects of your dining experience. We appreciate your candid feedback which is not only important, but it is vital to our continuous improvement. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment encountered. We are happy however, that you enjoyed your Sugar Mill dining experience.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback; as always we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you ‘home’ in the not-too-distant future.

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Not a typical hotel or resort, the Half Moon was once a privately owned club. The extensive property has numerous types of accommodations. Two guests would enjoy a royal suite but with our family of four it was difficult to choose the right room category. We ended up splurging on a villa with a cook, butler and housekeeper. A two bedroom suite might have been enough space for a shorter trip but we were staying for 8 nights. 54 pools and several stretches of beach mean you won't have to search for peace & quiet. The spa, equestrian center, kids club and dolphin encounter (this was really pricey) were excellent. The Sugar Mill restaurant was outstanding. Teenagers may get bored since the "club" for those older than 12 was not well organized. Fitness and tennis classes were offered at a variety of times throughout the day. The Half Moon golf course was in beautiful shape and they even had ladies left handed rentals (Callaway) which made it possible for me to join my husband for a round. Free bike rentals and golf carts ($55/day) make getting around fun and easy. The Half Moon may be the best resort in Jamaica but it will not compare to some of the more luxurious and modern resorts in comparable climates (like the Four Seasons Costa Rica).

• Stayed March 2013
Roslyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My Husband and I have been to Half Moon many times over the course of many years. I have never written a review before. We have adored every trip and wax nostalgic when we attempt to visit other resorts.
Half Moon is very large(but somehow still intimate). The property is breathtaking, every inch is beautifully maintained and landscapped with an abundance of tropical flowers and palm trees. The water is an otherwordly blue and can be seen from almost everywhere. The facilities are extensive. There are many pools available for all kinds of swimming activity. The dolphin lagoon is fabulous. There are old fashioned bicycles that even a, 'Grandma' can ride. The waterfront offers sailing,kayaking, floats, water bikes etc. The staff on the main beach is attentive and make you feel taken care of and safe.
We stayed in a Hibiscus suite which is lovely, large, has a private beach and is a little bit removed from the main resort, giving you some privacy. However, the rooms on the main beach are very lovely. I have seen them but have not stayed in them for 30 years and of course they have changed since then.
The food is good, not great. I must say Il Giardino was the best restaurant on the property. It has a new chef from Italy and I honestly had some of the best Italian food there, in Jamaica, better than most I have been to in New York City..and I have been to some of the best.
The Spa is extraordinarily beautiful and relaxing.
Let me just say this..if you are looking for a showstopping modern resort, this is not the place for you. This resort is about understated elegance with no stuffiness. Think the Kennedys, The British Royals, etc. All these people have spent time there. The beautiful lobby has pictures of many Presidents and Heads of State who have vacationed at Half Moon. There is one personal letter from Jackie Kennedy( that I find so compelling) thanking them for her family trip so many years ago. This resort has a pedigree and you feel it and more importantly, you feel that you are a part of it.
A shout out to the bartenders, the lovely wait staff, the conceirge, the business center...everyone tries to make your stay as perfect as possible.
This is a place for almost everyone. If you are a honeymoon couple I will let you know to expect to find that there will be children on the property. I must say we did not find the children intrusive in any way...this is because the resort is so large that there are a multitude of lodging and recreation areas for families to spread out. There is room for everyone. This is not a couples resort. If you do not want to see or hear any children ever ..maybe rethink your choice.
Take the Half Moon food and drink plan or your bills could really pile up..
Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband, two teenage sons and I, just got back from another week at the Half Moon. Last year we stayed in Villa 86 and this year in Villa 79. What another great vacation. I can't say enough about this place. We had the same cook and housekeeper this year that we had last year and a new butler. Linnette, Karen and Gary are the best team ever. They made our stay as comfortable as could be. The hotel manager, villa manager and all of the staff are amazing and very friendly. Can't wait to go back next year. There is no other place like this, you won't go wrong booking your vacation here.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which type of room you choose, you won't go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!