“As good as ever” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Horsham, United Kingdom
“As good as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This review is a little late as we visited Half Moon in Sept/Oct 2012. It was our tenth visit and probably our most enjoyable. At this time of the year the resort is quiet(which we like) although the downside is that our favourite restaurant the Sugar Mill is closed at this time of the year. We stayed in the West Cottages (133) and loved the suite and location which was right on the beach. My wife was on the Spa plan whilst I was on a Golf plan which both represent excellent value for money. The service as ever was exemplary and it was great to meet up again with so many old friends who have looked after us in the twelve years we have been going to Half Moon. We dined mainly at the Seagrape but also enjoyed the Italian when open. We also tried the "pub" which has been renamed Robbies Kitchen and had a very enjoyable lobster evening there. Our visit coincided with West Indies winning the Worlld T20 cricket which sparked much excitement and celebration at the cedar bar. Elijah even managed to find a regular supply of mint for our mojito's and Fitzgerald and Casewell kept us topped up and entertained. It was also nice to see Radical and his fellow musicians back to serenade us as the sun went down. There are too many of the staff who all provided brilliant service to mention them individually but in particular would like to mention Donnine at the swim up bar , my caddy Norman for his patience and support of my misfiring golf game. The new golf pro Spencer gave me a couple of great tips . From the Seagrape we would like to mention Nadia, Everett and Glenroy and Derek all part of a great team. From the Spa my wife enjoyed being looked after by Sophia her spa therapist. As we sit here on a cold wet miserable January evening we can but look forward to our next visit to Half Moon with our family this coming July. Can't wait.

Room Tip: We've stayed in the hibiscus suites but more recently have discovered the West Cottages which of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. It was certainly a pleasure serving you again; we are happy your experience was all you anticipated.

We thank you for recognizing our dedicated team who are truly the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of you our valued clients and make each visit special. Your beautiful comments will certainly be shared with team. We continue to be committed to provide you and all our guests with the highest standard of service in the industry.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor; we sincerely appreciate your continued patronage. As always, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you home soon.

1,155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent months planning our 'perfect' vacation.
What we wanted: a small to medium-sized hotel that felt more intimate (ie. not a large, impersonal hotel); easy access to the beach; an uncrowded beach; not too many kids and a decent amount of activities.
What we got: Exactly that, but better.

OVERVIEW
BEACH:
The main beach (Sunset Beach, I think it's called) has beautiful white sand and is not rocky. Yes, there is some seaweed, but it's not everywhere and you can easily avoid it. There are some sea urchins (at least I saw a lot washed up on the beach) though I never came close to stepping on one, and if you just pay attention while wading, as one always should, you will be fine. You can snorkel right off the beach (provided free). I will warn you that the snorkeling off the beach is NOT fantastic (Jamaica is not really known for its snorkeling anyway) in terms of abundance, but we saw some really cool sealife (squid, sting ray, puffer fish). There is also another beach, technically, but no one really goes there. That is the 'rocky' beach people refer to on here. This beach has a lot of seaweed and it doesn't appear that it was really meant for people to hang out there...but it's nice to walk along and find some pretty sea shells.

ACTIVITIES:
For a smaller place, there are a lot (I won't go through them since they are listed on the website.) We did do the dolphin swim. I've swam with dolphins before in Jamaica, and it didn't even come CLOSE to this. We did the 'deep water encounter,' which I *highly* recommend...it was an incredible experience and well worth the money. We were actually the only two people there (we went at the very end of the off-season, which may have contributed to that, although the trainers did mention they don't take more than 6 people, usually.) If you want to do this, you must book in advance. It's incredibly memorable though - and really special in that it's so personalized. It's also awesome that the 'Dolphin Lagoon' is RIGHT on the property. We went to watch the dolphins play (and sometimes get trained) every day.

We also did the morning horseback ride, where you get to swim with the horses - really fun, and the guides were awesome! We had a bigger group so there was some waiting around while each horse swam, which was a little annoying (maybe because I'm just impatient and also an experienced rider, while others weren't) but it was worth it, and not too expensive.
We did a canopy tour as well with Chukka Caribbean Adventures, which was also really worth it. There were something like 7 zip lines, which is a lot for what we paid. I won't go into that experience here since I'll be writing a review on the Chukka Tripadvisor website.
From what I could see, the children's centre looked really great. If I had kids, I would totally bring them here (though not if they were poorly behaved or I didn't put them in the children's centre, because this *is* more of a tranquil setting and you don't want to bother people).
Definitely sit down with the concierge and JTL Tours (in the lobby) at the beginning of your vacation to explore your options (Patrice is especially helpful and nice).

FOOD/DRINKS:
We switched between Il Giardino (Italian; right on the main patio next to the beach; has indoor dining); The Sugar Mill (famous restaurant away from the beach, up on a hill/small mountain; has indoor dining) and Seagrape Terrace (right next to Il Giardino; no indoor dining). The Seagrape was disappointing for dinner, so we only went once. Il Giardino actually had really incredible Italian food (and my boyfriend is Italian, so if he thinks it's good, it really is!) We met the chef, who is actually Italian and was apparently brought in a couple months ago, so any past complaints about this restaurant on this website may no longer apply. The Sugar Mill is beautiful and is one of the fancier options (though not stuffy), and it's very cool seeing the actual old sugar mill, but it wasn't my favorite because I liked being on the beach.
We went to the bar in the main part of the hotel (can't recall if it has a specific name) every night. Lots of really yummy drinks.

On Fridays, they have a beach BBQ/Managers party. Sadly, it rained, so it was held at the Sea Grape, but it sounds really, really fun. Whether it's on the beach or in the lobby/Sea Grape area, they have hermit crab races for the kids (very cute!) and a steel drum band.

SERVICE:
I've stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and received stellar service, but a lot of that service has felt too...trained and almost dispassionate. At Half Moon, it seemed effortless, and the staff seemed genuinely happy to work there and genuinely happy to see you chat with you. The bartenders at the bar we went to each night were especially great...I'll give a big shout out to a bartender, Jason, who we just loved, and Tasha Gaye, who works at Il Giordono. They really made you feel welcome and part of the 'Half Moon family.' The concierge (particularly Carol) was super helpful. We did end up tipping the concierge, which did make a difference in terms of getting reservations at the Sugar Mill, which was popular when we were there due to a couple weddings going on. Tipping *can* make a difference, but in no way does *not* tipping lessen the quality of service.

A lot of the staff greeted guests with exuberance and lots of questions about their life...many guests have been coming to the hotel for years - sometimes over generations. There is something really, really special about that.

ACCOMMODATIONS:
Before we went, we got a recommendation to stay in the 'main part of the hotel,' which is basically the West Cottages. We stayed in a Deluxe Room in the West Cottages. This was a great room and looked out onto the beach (and was literally steps away.) At the hotel, there are basically 'ocean rooms' and 'garden rooms.' I would absolutely NOT recommend the garden rooms.
We took a tour of the other suites/rooms in the hotel. The Hibiscus Suites, if you can afford them, are awesome. The Royal Villas are huge and you kind of feel like you're in a little gated, private community - but note that they are far away from the main part of the hotel. Yes, you get a golf cart with the villa, but in my opinion it is SO much better to be within a 5 minute walk of the main beach, restaurants and bars instead of a 5 (maybe 10?) minute golf cart ride. But if you want privacy, they are stunning.
There is one very important thing to know about Half Moon. If you are looking for a hotel that is ultra modern, sleek, really sumptuous, with the newest technology, **this is not it.** Jamaica is a Commonwealth realm within the UK and Half Moon very much has an 'old British Colonial' feel. The TVs are not updated (though when people complain about that, I always think...what the heck are you doing watching so much TV on your vacation???). There aren't fancy iPod docks or lighting. The furniture is not super high-end. The rooms (or at least our room) could be called 'shabby chic,' I suppose. This doesn't mean the rooms are ugly or run down - it just means they don't have that really opulent feel you might get in a room at the Four Seasons or the Ritz - but it also means that you get charm instead of (what I consider) the slightly impersonal feel of those types of hotels. But as I said, the rooms and decor are charming (and the housekeeping is impeccable.) We spent a lot of time on our porch looking out to the ocean - just beautiful.

POOLS
Typical of Jamaica. There are 3: the lap pool (for doing laps...obviously), the Hibiscus (which we used the most, since it was right near the main part of the hotel) and the Oleander (in my opinion it was the nicest since it had a view of the ocean, but it was quiet, and no one seemed to hang out there - probably because the restaurant/bar was closed, for renovation I believe)
The hot tubs were great, and they are open 24 hours, so we definitely took advantage of that in the evenings sometimes.

CONS:
The pools are very nice (though we really preferred the beach) but they are cold! We thought maybe they had turned it down because it was the off-season and would turn it up when more people were there, but this seems to be a relatively common complaint, at least on here. They aren't freezing, but they are definitely chilly. The ocean, however, is very warm, so this didn't really bother us much - the only time it did is when we wished we could sit at the swim-up bar, but we avoided it until the last day because we weren't quite ready to brave the cold!

I also found the beach chairs kind of uncomfortable/hard to sit in, but I know that is kind of a ridiculous/silly complaint! I'm including it more so that maybe the management addresses it.

RECOMMENDATIONS
Other than what I mentioned above, I would absolutely recommend getting the all-inclusive plan. It kind of makes absolutely no sense to not get it. The entire trip, we could not BELIEVE the deal we were getting, and kept waiting for there to be some kind of catch...but there wasn't. If you don't drink alcohol it may not make sense, but if you do, it's kind of a must (although nothing is as overpriced as I've seen at other resorts - which is actually kind of insulting sometimes, when you're in somewhere like South Beach and they charge you $10 for a glass or juice). Gratuity (15%) in included, but we tipped a bit more sometimes, which did sometimes bring us prompter service and also a lot of gratitude. Don't forget to tip your housekeepers, too!
The spa was awesome and not overpriced. We did the couples massage in a hut overlooking the ocean (for which you pay a bit more) and that was really incredible. It's good to go early on in the vacation, because once you get a treatment you have full use of the spa, which has really pretty pools.

So, to sum up...
--NOT recommended for: People who want a 'party' atmosphere; singles who want to meet other singles; people who are completely unhappy with a hotel that isn't up to the technological and decorative standards of hotel chains like the Four Seasons and people with loud kids who aren't prepared to enroll them in the Children's Center.
--Recommended for: Couples of any age; smaller families and people who want a relaxed, refined (but not stuffy) atmosphere at a hotel with a lot of history and charm.

When we left, our shuttle driver said, "So when are you coming back to your second home?" At the end of our 8 days, Half Moon really DID feel like a place that could be a second home, and we really did feel part of the 'Half Moon family.' We are already planning our next trip back!

Room Tip: Stay in the main part of the hotel (the West Cottages) if you want easy access to the lobby, main be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable experience with us. Thank you for the wonderful complimentary review on your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort. We are delighted that we exceeded your expectations. It is certainly a pleasure receiving such detailed and positive feedback on not only the resort and its offerings, but our dedicated team. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity.

Again, thank you for visiting Half Moon and taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor; you are certainly a Half Moon Ambassador. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you `home[‘ soon.

West Orange
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We just returned from 18 days at Half Moon, staying in the newly renovated VILLA 50. The Villa Staff was outstanding and the warmth and care demonstrated by all those on Staff at Half Moon is really exceptional. The Manager of the Villas is a true professional and has the ability to handle all requests including an anniversary party with photographer and calypso band.
The SPA is extraordinary and the services performed were professional and on par with some of the best SPA services I have experienced in the US and in Europe.The availability of babysitting services for little children and the Anancy Day Camp are reliable and helpful for parents with small children. Golf and water sports are also great at Half Moon.
This is a wonderful spot for multigenerational families. We have an adult child who is autistic and the staff seemed very comfortable meeting our needs.

Room Tip: All Villas are fantastic especially those on the water and the Spa Suites are great as well.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to pen your Half Moon experience on tripadvisor. We are happy that we (especially the villa staff) exceeded your expectations on your recent visit. Thank you for recognizing the team, the staff truly are the ones who learn the idiosyncrasies of our clients and make each visit special. We will be sure to share your comments with team.

Again, thank you for selecting Half Moon; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back 'home' in the not so distant future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Overall the Half Moon Resort was good but a couple of things. The hotel was nice but it was also old. If you are looking for a place with more modern amenities then it is not the place to come. I strongly advise getting the all-inclusive package because otherwise you are just going to be loosing money on average food. I did not get the package and I regretted it after the trip. My girlfriend and I are pretty adventurous people and so we figured we weren't going to be eating at the hotel that much so we didn't think it would be worth it. The fact is we were wrong. Since the hotel is kind of far from everything we were not able to get out as much as we wanted and so we ended up having to eat most of our meals at the hotel. That is why I would just go ahead and get that package. Overall our trip to Jamaica was good but you have to be warned it is very touristy and they are going to try and soak up every dollar they can out of you. My suggestion is that Half-Moon is a great place to get away and just camp out at the beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor.

Your comments are valuable to us; and are not taken lightly we regret any inconvenience encountered. Half Moon has been careful to combine old world charm with modern touches, in our commitment to provide our guests with the highest standard of service and amenities in the industry.

Again, thank you for visiting Half Moon and for sharing your feedback. We look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you and creating an experience of a lifetime:

Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you are looking for an upscale exclusive resort a 5 star stay that exudes excellent service, a beautiful and tranquil setting and has activities for the entire family close at hand then this is for you. If your ideal vacation is to getaway from it all, and savior a well deserved relaxing and rejuvenating experience by the ocean listening to gentle waves on a beautiful beach, sipping on a cocktail while reading a good book then this is also perfect! If you want to engage in activities like horse riding, tennis, bicycling, golf, spa, water sports and want a children's club then this is all on site right at this hotel. We rented bicycles on both our trips to this hotel and our daughter who loves horses has enjoyed on site riding lessons often with Kirk. The staff at the hotel are warm and friendly and the service is excellent. Audrey was the most amazing maid and took very good care of our room. There are golf carts for rental and a small convenience store on site also. Dining options available include fine dining, Italian, British Pub, Jamaican cuisine. The perfect location for couples, weddings and families. Just a short fifteen minute or less drive from MBJ airport. Opportunities to invest for those interested in a property on site. We loved our stay here and enjoyed it just as much as our stay at the Jalousie Hilton in St.Lucia.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your complimentary review on your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience. You have so beautifully described the resort and its offerings; like a true Half Moon Ambassador. We are happy that again, we exceeded your expectations, your kind comments are shared with Audrey – your Room Attendant and the rest of the team.

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon as your preferred vacation choice. As always, we look forward to welcoming you back ‘home’ soon.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful stay overall with our 3 children. Real estate to die for - colonial style villas right on a shaded white sand beach - priceless. Water a little choppy - u dont get the turquoise water of Bora Bora or Maldives but water temp is nice. Great tennis program, tennis desk and Pros. Great golf program and beautiful course. Fantastic Anancy team has taken care of our 5 year old twins with myriad of fun engaging activities. Expect to pay extra for dropping your kid at the kids club or the video game room.
Great people, attitude and service all around with no exception from airport welcome to main restaurant, reception, maid service. Fern Tree spa was very nice. Good treatments. Hotel management in our mind needs to revisit food and menu. We were not impressed with both main restaurant and italian reaturant. Sugar Mill reataurant out on the golf course 10 mins shuttle ride was very good and worth the schlep. You cannot get fresh fruit (of your choice) smoothy in this hotel (mostly canned stuff) - mgt pls fix this - it's a tropical island! Water in swimming pool is way to cold - most resorts at that level would heat water. Food/bar/attendants service all around beaches and all swimming pools seriously lacking to non- existent. Could barely spot anyone asking if people need anything incl food or towels/set up. Plastic beach chairs in case you were looking for something more stylish... We had an awesome year-end party the mgt put together. Kids had a ton of fun. Overall, a great resort, but don't expect the 'finesse' of a Six Senses or a One & Only and go have fun. It's an extremely welcoming resort with warm kids loving people that our kids fell in love with. We'll be back (and hopefully by then mgt amd owners will take care of a few minor flaws...)

• Stayed December 2012
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on tripadvisor. Your comments are valuable to us; we regret that your dining experience did not meet your expectations. Notwithstanding, we are happy your overall stay including the New Year’s Eve activities was memorable and especially, our very important little guests (the kids) had fun. The areas you highlighted for improvement have been shared with the team and rest assured we will use this as tool to further refine our services.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back `home’ in the not so distant future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

A very nice hotel, probably the nicest property in MoBay. Even our basic room was beautiful –comfortable bed, steps from the beach, massive bathroom, etc. Staff were very friendly and helpful without being overbearing.

The only disappointment was the food. Meals and snacks were mediocre at best and extremely expensive. Even the best meals were on the bland side. But the worst experience was the Thai/Indian restaurant; we went there one night and found no other customers at all. That should have been a clue, but we decided to take a chance. One of our dishes tasted “off” but we ate the other (average) dish. I felt unwell after the meal and my partner didn’t even make it back to the room before being sick three times. And for this pleasure – two small dishes, one order of rice, one beer and one juice – we paid $90 USD. The next morning we reported our experience to the resort’s manager of restaurants and, while he was apologetic, there was no offer to reimburse us for the meal or even give us a small token such as a free round of drinks, etc. Any gesture at all would have been welcomed.

A couple other very minor quibbles – but nothing you wouldn’t experience at most hotels around the world, so won’t mention them. Overall a very nice hotel that just needs to focus on its dining in order to be one of the better resorts in the Caribbean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests during your recent Half Moon, A RockResort visit. We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Objective feedback from our guests is an integral part of our strategy to continuously improve our guests experience. We sincerely apologise for your overall dining experience especially at the Tha/Indian Restaurant. Your comments are shared with our Food & Beverage team, rest assured we will use this as tool to further refine our services.

We thank you for choosing Half Moon; it was a pleasure serving you. We are happy that notwithstanding your dining experience you found the resort nice and the staff also nice and friendly. We look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back ‘home’ soon.

Regards,

The Half Moon Team

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!