“Best stay we've had in Jamaica” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Suite Sale
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
New York
“Best stay we've had in Jamaica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the wonderful Half Moon at the end of April for 5 nights with our 2 1/2 year old twin girls. As much as we love spending time with our kids, we secretly wished we had some alone time to enjoy all the pleasures the Half Moon offers. We have made 3 trips to Jamaica this year, because we love the island, the people, and it is an easy direct flight from New York on JetBlue. The first trip we made was to the Ritz Carlton right next door to Half Moon. The Ritz is lovely, but has a horrible little beach, so we would not go back there. The next trip was to Couples (without the kids) in Negril which has a beautiful beach, but horrible food, and the noise from the nightclubs from surrounding resorts kept us up at night. At Half Moon, we finally found our ideal place to visit in Jamaica. It is so close to the airport in Montego Bay, yet the beach is gorgeous (especially in the Cottages section where we stayed), the food was amazing, and the staff was so kind. Usually in the Caribbean, if the food is OK, you are doing pretty well, but it was uniformly first-rate at every restaurant. We ate at Seagrape most of the time because it was convenient with our kids, but also ate at Il Giardino one night, which was as good as the food we had on vacation in Italy. The staff also takes great pride in their work and were so kind to us, even though our twins were not always so well behaved. Too many of them to thank individually, but Trishannie and Teanna at breakfast were always a pleasure, and Chevin at the front desk is a super-star. He's only 21 or 22, but has worked at the resort for a few years and has great talent and charm, and has a great future ahead of him in hotel management.
The grounds are vast, so think about what section of the hotel you would like to stay in. We were in a Junior Suite in the cottages section, which we really loved. We spoke to many people who had suites in the Oleander area, and they were very happy, but it felt out of the way to us, and we were glad we weren't there. The water is beautiful, but the beach is a bit rocky. Once our kids are a bit older, there are some larger accommodation choices in this area, and we would consider it for the future. As for the future, we will definitely be back, because there is no reason to stay anywhere else in Jamaica. The only thing is, if you want a wild nightlife and loud parties, this is not a good place for you. If you want to relax in one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean, this is paradise. We did not have time to try the spa, but we heard it was wonderful.

Room Tip: Reservation people are very helpful with finding the right room fit for you. We loved our Junior Sui...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know we created an experience of a lifetime on your recent visit to Half Moon A, RockResort.

We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and the family thoroughly enjoyed their accommodation, food and beverage, resort activities and of course the staff. Our aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests. We will certainly share your lovely comments with Trishannie, Teanna, definitely Chevin and the rest of the team.

Again, thank you for choosing Half Moon and sharing on TripAdvisor, We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back home soon.

Best regards,

The Half Moon Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were lucky enough to spend the last week of March at Half Moon Bay in one of the Royal Villas. What a wonderful resort, and I have been to many, many nice resorts around the Carribean and Mexico. This was our first visit to Jamaica, and I have to say I had some negative images in mind before hand, hearing it was dangerous, etc. but I was totally entralled by the lovey Jamaican people we encountered. I do have to say, we were ONLY at the Half Moon Bay Resort, which is a gated resorted and a small world in and off itself.
The resort itself is breathtakingly beautiful. We were in the Royal Villa at the end of the
property, which was ocean front. The villa was beautiful, with it's own pool, and wonderful
staff of three, the cook the housekeeper and our wonderful butler Derrick. Every morning a delcious breakfast was served poolside. It was such a fabulous place!
We spent the days just hanging by our pool, but there is much to do for those so inclined. Golf,
horseback riding, tennis, spa treatments. You name it, they have it.
The food was excellent at the restaurants, with the Seagrape Terrance and El Gardino having
outdoor dining overlooking the ocean, and the Sugarmill Restaurant on the golfcourse was
delicious as well. There is a very cute pub in the shopping area called Prince of Wales, which
looked like a very authentic English pub. Charming atmosphere! The only disappointing meal was just a lunch at the Oleander Terrance, where our waitress was so slow, another waiter took over our table because he felt sorry for us! But that was minor, we just
knew not to go back there.
We did the all inclusive plan, but that is optional. My only gripe was that the liquor in the villa's was low quality, I would expect better for the price! Of course in the restaurants, you could have any brand you desired.
The Royal Villa's would be a wonderful place to take your extended family for a reunion or to
celebrate a special event. Private suites, but with common areas would be the ideal situation
for taking your kids & grandkids. It is very expensive to be sure, but truly an idylic spot for
rest and relaxation. wonderful views, wonderful service, wonderful food, wonderful weather.
It really is fabulous. Pricey, but fabulous!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely note about your stay at Half Moon, A RockResort; we are happy you had a `Royal’ experience. We generally receive complimentary reviews on the Royal Villas accommodation which create `a home away from home’ atmosphere, much to the pleasure of our valued guests like yourselves.

We thank you for the beautiful comments about our dedicated team whose aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for our most discerning clients.

Again, thank you for selecting Half Moon and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back `home’ soon.

Best regards,

Westampton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I went to Jamaica from March 10th to March 15th to attend a family funeral in Mandeville and needed to rest and unwind after the funeral. My family of 4 (with teenagers) stayed at Half Moon for two days in a two bedroom suite and absolutely loved it! I truly enjoyed going out to have coffee on the private porch early in the morning then walking out to a beautiful garden which was only a few yards from the beach. This is definately the place to unwind and rejuvenate

Room Tip: Great in any room or villa
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you for sharing the beautiful comments regarding your brief visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we’re happy your stay was all you anticipated.

Again, thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not- too- distant future.

The Hague, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Just stay away if you don't like world class service, helpful staff, gourmet food, great golf course and genuine smiles. Thank you very much for a wonderful vacation.

The people who make it worth coming back are the ever so helpful Miss Paula Lilly and her staff, at the bar Elijah and his staff, to many people to mention in the restaurants (Andrew, Leroy, Dudley, Misha, Tashanika, Pauline, Rheneka, Vanessa sorry to all the people i forgot to mention). Special thanks to all the invisible people that make sure that evrything in and outside your room looks as nice as possible.

We will be back.....

Room Tip: If you order a Carribean Cooler make sure to ask for the oldest Appleton Rum in the house and skip t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guests,

It is always a pleasure receiving feedback from our valued clients; we thank you for taking the time to share about your recent visit to Half Moon, A Rock Resort on TripAdvisor.

Your complimentary comments regarding our dedicated team is highly appreciated, our objective to always provide an experience of a life time for you our valued clients. We will certainly share your comments with the team.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

montreal, canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

WE were supposed to spend 4 nights and decided to extend when we entered the Half Moon grounds. We were in room 105, ground floor, i think it was called Hibiscus junior suite. The ground floor one have open floorplan compare to the people on the second fllor who had the same floorplan but with a door / wall dividing the living area from the bedroom. I usually like a separated/closed bedroom and a higher fllor but nothing would have made me change our first floor unit. Each 4 cottages, in those category, had a privite beach access. Verry quiet. The cons are the buds ( mosquito, ants ) that are verry present. The clenailess of public grounds could also be better. The reason i graded a 3 and not a 4 * is because the first night we were in a regular room ( hotel like ) wich was really really dirty ( stairways, balcony, etc ) and not comfortable. We were told thos unit were 50 years old compare to the suite that were renovated 10 years ago and put in flat screen tv recently.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guests,

It’s a great pleasure receiving such lovely feedback regarding your recent visit to Half Moon, A RockResort. Our goal is to provide our valued guests with the best possible experience and exceeding your expectations is our reward.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon and for your comments; we look forward to the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I visited Half Moon in April 2012 and was immediately taken with the immaculate grounds and the atmosphere the resort has created for guests. A must is the Fern Tree Spa. The spa grows ingredients used in treatments onsite. I LOVED my Swedish Massage and the staff is incredibly welcoming.

A note for couples looking for a destination wedding location – try the Oleander Terrace at Half Moon. If I could do it over again this is where I would go. The building is beach front and beautiful. My favorite dining experience at Half Moon was Sugar Mill restaurant. We met Solomon Gardener, the maître d’, who has been working at the restaurant for over 40 years! Amazing service and cuisine. Planning my return trip….

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor.

We are happy your expectations were exceed; we will certainly share your beautiful comments with Solomon Gardner and the rest of the team.

Again, thank you for your feedback, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you 'home' in the not- too- distant future.

Oakville, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I visited Half Moon Bay with 24 of my colleagues. We were there as a group but not your typical "work group". Our yearly vacations are to connect with each other, have fun, relax and kick back. We did all of these and more. The resort was amazing and so were the staff. The rooms/villa's were amazing. Check in was a breeze and everything was organized for us when we arrived. We all had different types of rooms and they were all beautiful and the majority were all ocean front (not just oceanview). The rooms were huge and so spacious. I'm not sure what category I was in (Cottage 4 Room 44) but it was one of the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in at a resort. Huge balcony with super comfy chairs and lounge chairs too (picture attached). The food was very good and nobody had any complaints. We did the "all-inclusive plan" which I'm glad we did as it is very pricey for both food and drinks.The Italian restaurant - Il Giardino was excellent and the lasagna I ordered was delicious (homemade pasta). One of the guys ordered a cesear salad and he said it was one of the best salads he has ever had. Our last night we had dinner at the Sugar Mill Restaurant and the dinner was excellent as well. We had a pre-set menu because we were a large group and they took great care of us with customized menus with our company name imprinted that was a nice personal touch.

We took advanatage of the activities on the resort - paddle boat, kayak, bicycles, golf and the hobby cat boat. All were great and the staff are so friendly and always willing to please you as their guest. The maids were the best. So sweet and lovely and always with a big smile and they loved our Bob Marley music and said they never got tired of listening to his music. Just so pleasant.

All in all it was an amazing trip and I would love to go back with my family as I know there is so much of the resort that I didn't get to see (we were only there for 4 days) so I'm saving my $$$ as it was worth every penny. The airport was also amazing. I can't remember an airport that had such great shopping (not all junky souvenirs). It had everything. I also bought some of the Blue Mountain coffee so I can make some latte's when I get home as the coffee is delicous down in Jamaica.

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I will be back for sure and I hope to be able to come back to the Half Moon Resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, A RockResort, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

We are delighted to receive such beautiful comments regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience.

We are happy your expectations were exceeded and look forward to creating another experience of a lifetime on your return visit.

We will certainly share your complimentary feedback with the team.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon, A RockResort.

The Half Moon Team

Been to Half Moon, A RockResort? Share your experiences!