My wife and I just returned from an 8 day stay at Half Moon. While there are many other islands I prefer to Jamacia, Half Moon was a very good resort. We went in mid-October (13-21)...the time of year we always travel - anniversary...which always puts us OUT OF SEASON. Normally not a problem, unless you stay at 2 of the worst places we've ever stayed (Long Bay - Tortola and Plaza Resort - Bonaire)...where out of season results in very poor service.
Not really the case here, but they JUST Missed on a few small things (a result of being out of season) that causes me too mark them down just a bit.
1. The Staff - extremely friendly, helpful, nice-->truly felt welcomed
2. The Jr Suite - exceptional, beautiful, comfortable, great view, small courtyard pool
3. Cleanliness - people always raking, washing, sweeping, dusting -> the place was immaculate.
4. Pools were beautiful - actually had a 50 yard lap pool + everyone's favorite - a swim-up bar.
5. At some resorts, they all but ration out beach towels - not here...take as many as you need...all day.
6. Plenty of comfortable beeach lounges and plenty of places to escape from the sun when you've had enough - shade from Palm trees.
7. Dolphins - extremely cool - if you do nothing else, just go watch them...very impressive staff there too.
1. The food was excellent BUT---> only 2 of the four restaurants were open ---> Seagrape = good food but they never changed the menu for all 8 days (B,L,D). The second restaurant = Il Giardino ---> good, but only open on 2 days with same menu. The BEST restuarant closed - Sugar Mill...we were looking forward to having great dinner there for our anniversary.
2. Beach was nice..there were other "tripadvisor" comments about the seagrass in the water...yes there was some - but they had plenty of places to swim where there was none!
1.. They had a manager's cocktail party, but we never got the word...never got an invitation....even 2nd tier resorts send an invite to your room...
2. They adverise afternoon tea with finger sandwiches. pastries -> never happened!
3. It is a huge property, they should given us a tour, so we'd know our way around...most places drive you around in a golf cart to familiarize you with the resort .. it took us 5 days to find the commisary
4. Shopping Mall - forget it...most shops not open
SO - we had a great time and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly...we've had the priviledge of traveling all over the Caribbean, so I'm sure some of my negative comments seem petty...BUT this is such a nice place that with just a little attention to detail and the availability of the Sugar Mill restaurant - this would have rated a "5" with us.
also did not get a chance to play golf...looks like a nice course
Might re-think October too - it rained the first 2 days and we were told "Oh, October is the rainy month"....WE DID HAVE 6 BEAUTIFUL DAYS THOUGH....
IF YOU GO IN SEASON - I BET IT'S GREAT...OUT OF SEASON, IT MISSED BY JUST A LITTLE! STILL LOVED THE PLACE.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a two-mile, crescent-shaped beach on Jamaica's northern coast, Half Moon, A RockResort, is truly paradise found. This spectacular, 400-acre luxury resort features pristine, whitewashed cottages surrounded by beautifully landscaped gardens and the sparkling Caribbean Sea beyond.Expertly combining Old World charm and elegant modern touches, Half Moon offers 197 guest rooms and suites, and 31 private four- to seven-bedroom villas. Its world-class amenities include the renowned Fern Tree Spa, an 18-hole signature golf course, a Dolphin Lagoon, fitness centre, equestrian centre and more. With its spectacular seaside location, rich Caribbean heritage, warm and attentive staff and exceptional array of amenities, it's no wonder that this iconic Jamaican destination has set the standard for luxury Caribbean resorts for 60 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Booking.com, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Half Moon, A RockResort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Half Moon, a Rock Hotel Montego Bay
- Half Moon Jamaica
- Half Moon Resort Jamaica
- Half Moon Bay Jamaica