“cheap and worth it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
London, United Kingdom
“cheap and worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This places is really very cheap we got a room with 5 beds for $80 (£50) breakfast is $6 per person but everything is brought fresh daily. Its in a really hilly location and you will needd a car or use a taxi, they have a mini bus ( im sure they would pick you up for a fee) its only about by 5 mins from the airport.

Rooms are clean and tidy, however it is in need of updating, but that did not put us off staying at the beginning of our trip and we booked for the last night as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Walla Walla, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you really want to feel Jamaica this is the place to go. My wife and I enjoyed the staff, they were very accommodating to our needs. The room was clean and the maid swept and mopped every day as well we had clean sheets and towels daily. The decor of the room were fitting for the room theme. The meals were awesome American or Jamaican, the chef was great. The pool was clean and inviting. Free coffee every morning at 0600, the view of the city was beautiful every morning as you watch it awake for the day. The gardener kept the grounds in top shape with many different varieties of plants that bloom all year long. We plan on returning.

Frank Brown

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

You need a car to stay here.

The only good thing about this hotel is the view from the alcove in the room onto the hills behind Montego Bay. The room itself is dark and needs renovation. The - also needs renovation - bathroom rug on the floor was old and shabby and was so unhygienic looking I didn't even want to step on it. The carpet in the room was up for replacement, there were iron burn marks on it.

There are no room rates in reception anywhere (that I saw) and when you ask - we just turned up - they tell you one rate - 55 US, I give them 60, the receptionist goes off to get change (I thought) and comes back and says, no, it's 60.. (??).
I just let it go... but next morning the room key deposit which I was told would be returned (JM$ 1000), when queried suddenly the price was 65! i.e. no key deposit refund...
I don't remember getting a receipt of anything I paid either... (I was on my way to the airport so other things on my mind...).

If staying here ask for receipts with proper rates for all charges.

Very nice owners, sadly it is run very unprofessionally, even asking for a cup of coffee on arrival (late morning) the breakfast coffee canister just gets reheated....

(I've worked in hotels myself so do know something about running one)....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

The staff were extremely accommodating and helpful. The food was excellent. There's an outdoor pool and beautiful views of the city below. The room was clean, but the decor was a bit dated. The location was convenient, close to downtown, the beach and bus terminal (about a 10-15minute walk). However, I don't recommend walking to the hotel after dark. The road is poorly lit, and lacks a contiguous sidewalk. It's dangerous to walk here alone late at night; the traffic is scary and locals mentioned past criminal activity in desolate areas.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011 via mobile

I'm a flight attendant and I stayed there with friends in order to attend reggae sumfest , if ur looking for a fancy highend resort that will only see u as a number and not care about u what so ever, then this is not the place , while I was there I fracture my leg while on a atv adventure and ms sterling made me soup and they treated me very kind , I been to some if the most expensive hotels and they can't touch the service I got here .. Thanks ms sterling

• Stayed July 2010
alexandria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

Don't let these reviews fool you, because they surely fooled me. The rooms are dirty and dark and a lot of roaches, bathrooms are horrible needs renovating. Mold was all over the bathroom. And staff is okay. Owners are nice but i would not waste my money here i would rather go to an all-inclusive. Food= small portions and huge price tag. Hotel matched the city slummy! a nice view but bad location on top of a huge hill.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wild & Wonderful, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

The OWNERS, they were so kind with us. Mrs. Sterling talked to me, as if she knows me for many years. The hotel is delightful, with all type of exotics plants, we feel like we was in our own house, and we have never experienced such incredible service before, especially from Doreen one of the staff member it was so lovely that it was hard to leave the resort to go to somewhere else of the Island.

We just returned from the Island, but we will return very soon.
"THIS YEAR"

• Liked — the hospitality
  • Disliked — maybe i will need to stay longer to make any comments, so far all is good.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Verney's Tropical Resort? Share your experiences!