“Perfect beach day on our cruise port day” 5 of 5 stars

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
and up
Doctor’s Cave Beach Admission with Round-Trip...
Ranked #9 of 65 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Five miles of pure white sand and crystal clear water have made this beach a popular destination for tourists and families.
Exton, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Perfect beach day on our cruise port day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We visited Doctor's Cave Beach when our ship was docked in Falmouth on Thursday Feb. 28th. I believe there were only 3 ships in port that day - 2 at falmouth and 1 in montego bay, so I was hoping that it wouldn't be too crowded - especially since the cruise ship excursions were going to a different beach. It is a 30 minute ride from the falmouth port and the cheapest taxi fare we could get (with much negotiating with multiple people) was $40 one way! So be prepared for that. I wanted to avoid the organized cruise ship excursions, so I chose Doctor's Cave after research because I wanted a beautiful beach, restrooms available, and a bar to get drinks. This beach did not disappoint!
Yes, as others have stated, it is $6 to get in and $6 for each chair and an umbrella. So for two of us with entrance fees, 2 chairs and 1 umbrella, it was $30 and we felt like that was appropriate. (I was thinking maybe the fees would keep the crowds out!) They set your chairs and umbrella up for you at whatever spot you pick. We chose to go down far towards the other end, near the pier. We were away from everybody and felt like we had that part of the beach to ourselves! If you want to forego the umbrella, you could since there are a decent number of trees that offered shade. The beach itself is perfect - white sand, and crystal clear water - rivaled Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman which we had just come from!
The food we had from the restaurant was not good. But the Red stripes were cold and tasty. $5 each I think at Doctor's Cave.
Yes there are people trying to sell you everything from drugs to conch shells. Even the guy who set up our umbrella. But they are very friendly, and its Jamaica, so just a simple smile and "No thanks mon!" and they will move on.
We had planned to walk up to Margaritaville, but on the drive to Doctors Cave our taxi driver pointed out a place on the road called Scotchie's and said they had the best jerk chicken on the island. It looked like a hut with smoke pouring out of the roof and smelled delicious as we drove by. So instead of Margaritaville, we asked our taxi driver on the way back to the ship if he wouldn't mind pulling over at Scotchies, he was happy to oblige and he agreed it was the best jerk chicken on the island. For $13 we got two plates of chicken, a side of rice and beans, a side of roasted yams, and 2 red Stripes. Can't beat it!
Overall, a very nice day in Jamaica, I would go back!

Visited February 2013
6 Thank MomSavedbyGrace

• Polish first
Nassau, New Providence Island
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best Time at the Bar****”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

A must if you go by ship! Sorry my Dear readers but, as I only had few hours to be there and my friends were very hungry I only enjoyed at the Bar with myself I did not see much around! my Bartender was the most Incredible, attentive and kind person in that place! ....but I had the chance to take some pics around: Beach was lovely, the place was always crowded! smiling staff always! Nice, clean and cheap place but they charge for chairs and unbrellas at the beach!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Patty B
Petaluma, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Sunny clean beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Big beach with restaurant nearby. It is $6 admission into the beach, $6 for a beach lounger $6 for an umbrella. The staff help you with your chairs and umbrella which was really nice. The restaurant staff was nice and attentive without being pushy. We ordered jet skis for the beach next door and had lots of fun. Jet skis are not allowed at Doctors Cave but are just a short walk away. The airport is a few beaches down so racing the planes on a jet ski was pretty amazing!! Really nice bathrooms with changing stalls and showers are available, as well as outdoor showers and feet showers to get off the sand. Just watch out for "pharmacists" bracelet pushers, and shell sellers. There are a lot of them on this beach! I wouldn't leave my personal items unattended either. Lots of cabbies outside when you're looking to leave too.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank leetha24
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Well worth paying for it was clean, secure and lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

What a beautiful beach! We had so much fun that were spoilt and didnt want to go anywhere else! Well worth it!

Visited November 2012
san antonio
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Its a pretty beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The beauty is what gets this beach by. Chairs are not so comfy. Feel odd leaving your personal items feels a little sketchy at times. Overall its nice!