“Disappointed.” 2 of 5 stars

952 3171
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 92 Restaurants in Montego Bay
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

This was not what we were hoping for. The service was horrible and the food was OK. Waiter must have forgot drinks. We waited about 15 minutes then went to bar and got them ourselves. Just was not good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
pelican03, Owner at Pelican, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
We are so sorry that you had to wait such a long time for your drinks and I can see why you would think that the waiter had forgotten them. We are also disappointed that you only found our food to be “OK” as our family have been striving for the past fortyfive years to make it much better than that.

Yorkton, Canada
“Exceptional Service & Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

The staff at this restaurant go out of their way to make you feel at home. They are kind and helpful from the time you walk through the door until the time you leave. The menu has such a variety that we ate here almost every night during our one week stay. It's excellent for adults and children alike.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dorking, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food and atmosphere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

We went here having read a couple of reviews mentioning "quaintness" and "retro decor". Mmmmm. The staff were friendly and the service was good. We ordered conch chowder to start, which was admittedly described as "spicy" - now our favourire cuisine is indian, and I regularly cook using chilli peppers, but this was so hot as to become not do-able. One of our main courses was a shrimp curry which was also fiery but at least edible. The desserts are pure artery clogging sugariness straight out of the 1960s, but not in a pleasant retro kind of a way, more of an e number and cheap ingredients sort of a way. The plastic padded booth areas are looking scruffy really and the whole experience was a disappointment - we would not go back. The bill was only slightly less than at The Houseboat, where the food is way way better.

• Visited January 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
pelican03, Owner at Pelican, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
I am unable to locate any reviews mentioning "quaintness" and "retro decor" and I agree with you that neither of these descriptions in any way describes our restaurant.

I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly but regret they did not follow our normal procedure and immediately replace the Conch chowder that was too hot for you with another of our excellent soups that have less pepper. The Conch chowder is one of our customer favorites especially with our mainly Jamaican patrons who are used to spicy food. The variety of chili pepper that we use is the legendary Scotch Bonnet pepper that while having an exquisite flavor is extremely hot which is why we put a warning notice in the menu. I don’t know what to say about the “edible” shrimp curry as no specific criticism was made but again our staff were in error in not offering to replace the dish if it was not to your liking or maybe you did like it, “edible“ covering a wide ranging number of possibilities.

I agree with you that many of our desserts are from the 60’s We opened the Pelican Grill in 1964 and from the beginning our desserts have been immensely popular and some of the original ones are still on the menu today. All are made in house including Lemon Meringue Pie, Coconut Pie (made of course with freshly grated coconut), Chocolate Cake, Pelican Rum Pudding and Cheesecake. The hot fudge used in our Hot Fudge sundae is made from the finest imported Belgian chocolate and our Pineapple topping is made from fresh pineapples. In all cases we use only ingredients of the highest quality available. I was mystified by your “e number” reference until I googled it and discovered it is an European number code referring to food additives often used in the UK and Ireland as a pejorative term for artificial food additives. I am sure this must be the meaning you intended. I would love to know which dessert you decided was so full of cheap ingredients and so overburdened with artificial food additives that you felt compelled to make such a vicious attack. I do not consider your “artery clogging sugariness ...” diatribe to be worthy of a response.

Maybe in the UK all restaurants have booths upholstered in leather but in the rest of the world the normal material used would be a man-made one such as naughahyde which is very durable and easily cleaned.

Your final paragraph mentions the Houseboat which is indeed a very fine restaurant offering an unique experience which we often recommend to our customers and friends who want an extra special place to dine out. It is more expensive than us and the food is in a totally different style but certainly not “way way better” than ours.

We welcome constructive criticisms in reviews as they assist us greatly in improving our customer experience but we do not appreciate malicious, spiteful and inaccurate reviews such as yours.

Jeremy Bennett
Jamaica
“Best value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I have been going to the Pelican grill for 35 years since I first came to Jamaica. Everyone
that lives in Jamaica knows that this is the place to eat in Montego Bay for guaranteed
good food at the best prices. The Pelican Grill looks exactly the same as when I first
came to Jamaica. The owners have maintained the look and I for one never want it to
change. The standard was high in 1976 when I first ate at this restaurant and its the same today could never go to Montego Bay at all without eating there. You go and
taste the food and you will see what I mean.

• Visited January 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

We ate at the Pelican in December while visiting Montego Bay. We had asked our cab driver where a good place to get a plate of curried goat would be (a dish a friend suggested we try) and he recommended the Pelican. We were not disappointed. Our goal was to sample some authentic Jamaican food and we got exactly that. My husband had the Ackee and Cod (Jamica's national dish), I had the curried goat, and our son had the jerk chicken. All three were delicious. Our server was friendly, the drinks were delicious and refreshing, the interior was tastefully decorated, and there were lovely views of the bay. What's more, we only paid around $40 for nice portions and alcoholic beverages which I thought was very reasonable considering it's in a touristy area. If we're ever in Montego Bay again we'll be sure to return here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere