“Just okay for me..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Montego Bay

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Montego Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mahoe Bay - Ironshore P.O | Montego Bay, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #25 of 63 hotels in Montego Bay
Los Angeles
“Just okay for me..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went with a group we booked 15 rooms. Most of the rooms had small roaches and a few had some pretty big ones.. We called the front desk and they explained.. it's because it's all inclusive and people bring food back to the rooms, understandable of why they have roaches.. but still wasn't happy to have roaches in my room.. did not want to take them home.. The rooms are very clean.. but again we all had roaches some more than others... The mosquitoes are in full effect even with Off and Skin so soft I got bit up quite often.. don't think this had anything to with the resort it's probably just JAMAICA.. but do take something for the bites.. and some benadryl & or hydrocortisone too.. they sale it in the gift shop but it's cheaper in Cali so bring it with you and lots of it.. okay so with that said.. I did enjoy seeing Jamaica.. and the Hotel was nice enough but because of the roaches I probably wouldn't stay there again.. and again I understand why they have them.. but yeah just can't endure that again.. I previously stayed in the Sunset Beach Resorts.. all inclusive as well.. and didn't see any roaches during my stay.

Room Tip: I had people on the bottom floor and floors 2 and 3 so can't say staying up higher will prevent...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

3,676 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I've come to realize many of your vacations are what you make of them. My husband and I stayed here for 5 days with friends, and we had a great time. The rooms are clean, but we only slept and got ready for the day (served its purpose). We drank...a lot. Loved the swim up pool bar (spent a great deal of time there). We brought our own Tervis cups, which helped on return trips to the bar.

We made reservations in all of the specialty dining places as soon as we checked in, and they were okay. Steakhouse was our favorite. The jerk hut on the beach was awesome! Regular dining hall had a variety of foods so you are sure to find something you like.

We did excursions off and on property (kayaking, horseback riding, snorkeling, Dunns River Falls, and shopping) all were great. If you plan to do any make sure you bring water proof camera, water shoes, comfortable walking shoes, and sunscreen. We did find the on property club on Thursday and they shuttle to Margaritaville.

When we got home, we did notice the humidity smell on all of our stuff, but I guess that's just the climate and you don't notice it while you are there.

Overall the property was beautiful, service was great, and we had a great time. I did not want to leave!

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I were very pleased. This was our first international trip. The staff was great. Plenty of food although some of it I didn't know what it was but tried it anyway. The only thing that really got me is that there were no elevators so I did get a work out!!!

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here july 13-20 with my other half and had an amazing vacation! We came looking to relax and to start our vacay as soon as we got off the plane. The resort is only about 10 min from the airport can't beat that. Other reviewers complained about the planes overhead but I hardly noticed it. There is something for everyone here. If you want to relax you can find a nice quiet scenic spot and if you feel like a party you can find that day or night too. The beach was really beautiful and the pool was a blast with the swim up bar and friendly atmosphere. The locals are so nice and willing to help. The food was yummy! For anyone that says they didn't like it they are nuts. The local dishes at the buffet and the jerk chicken on the beach was delicious. But if you like to eat a little more safe there were sooooo many options. This was one of the bigger buffets of the riu resorts I've been to. The room was clean and fresh no problems at all. We had a lovely gardenview room in building 4 that had a private patio basically. I would recommend this resort!

• Stayed July 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was thrilled with this property from the moment I stepped foot in the open air lobby. This hotel is a beautiful property, nestled on a nice beach. The rooms were also very spacious and well kept. The staff was very friendly. I go to Jamaica often and this is by far the nicest hotel I have stayed at. The only downside is that there weren't as many activities for kids and teens as I had expected. Being that I was a teen myself, I still seemed to enjoy my stay and met many new friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at riu mo-bay from July 12th to 18th 2013. It was me, my husband, our 3 kids (5-7-12), my mother in law and father in law, and my sister in law and her husband.

Check-in: easy, fast, pleasant. We got a second key made for our room and it took 1 minute. All rooms but 1 were ready. The guy followed us with our luggage.

Room: 2 rooms were on 3rd floor of building 3. Both rooms were really clean (big shout out to our housekeeper Ruth who was so nice and friendly), we didn't see any cockroaches, it smelled good, a/c worked perfect, mini bar replenished as promised every other day. Beds were fine for us, we have a memory foam at home which is firm, we slept just fine. We had a family room which is basically 3 double beds.

The 3rd room was on the 1st floor of building 3 and smelled of humidity. Also the toilet didn't flush well and the A/c didn't work well. They came twice to fix it and then agreed to move them to building 5, first floor, ocean view. The room still smelled of humidity but everything else was perfect. No bugs there either.

Food: was totally okay. There are different items in the buffet everyday but of course, the main stuff is the same (which is no different than anywhere else I have been too). Reservation restaurant are just okay but it allows for a change. We got in all 3, yes our whole party of 9. We had a 9 o'clock at the steakhouse, it was late with the kids. We talked to the manager and she told us to come by the next day at 7. We did and we had a beautiful table for 9 ready! My favorites were steak, Asian, then Italian. Jerk chicken at lunch is a must!!!

Service/staff : this is really what makes the resort! The staff is amazing. Momo is the best. She's funny and friendly, took the kids to feed the fishes, painted the girls nails, we love Momo!!! The shows were just okay for us but we go to bed early with the kids anyway .

Others: we did the snorkeling tour offered at the resort and it was great. Our 7 and 12 years old were pretty independent and loved it! We used island transfer and tour, to and from the airport. They are great. We walked out of the airport and they were right there, and they picked us up right on time. Very professional! For the airplane noise, well you know where you booked, I don't get the complains... It didn't bother us. The beach is awesome, it gets slimy when I got shoulder high water (I'm 5'4"). I didn't mind it. I was offered "smokes" once, told the guy I wasn't interested and he was cool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

When I went in Dec 2012-Jan 2013 it was packed. Everyone is extremely friendly, always greeting you. My room was clean the property was well kept. The only thing that I didn't like was that the restaurants that needed reservations were already booked out, I couldnt get a reservation the whole time I was there.There were taxi services on site ready to take you to where ever you like to go. The hotel is approximately 5-10 minutes drive from the airport. There is a lot to do off of the hotel. Only a 15 minutes drive or less to a strip that entails restaurants, beaches, clubs. Its very safe the bouncers at the club ensure that you get on a taxi that is provided by the hotel. The hotel even provides a shuttle to go to the club. Overall experience was spectacular.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the club goers that come back on the resort late and drunk.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Montego Bay? Share your experiences!